2 out of 10: Very Bad... 3 2.27%
1 out of 10: Tortuous... 4 3.03%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-10-10, 05:18   Link #181
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Znozzy View Post
Flit? Flitz? The main character is sofar pretty uninteresting :/ i really don't understand why he is going to school, when he is a genious making mobile suits at that age? it doesn't add up.
Understanding the culture may answer your question.
In Japan, going to school doesn't just for studying knowledge, but to let kid know and get used to society, even to middle school.
Old 2011-10-10, 05:33   Link #182
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWing View Post
Felt low budget. 1st episode and they are already stretching my suspension of disbelief. At least SEED came up with a good excuse as to why the underaged first time pilot beats veterans and UC has the whole Newtype thing, but this show seems to have just forgotten those details.
He build the damn thing! I would think being the builder/designer as well as having spending many years vigorously studying and building the Gundam due to his sense of duty/hatre/revenge he would at least know how to operate it. Heck it would make LESS sense if he didn't know how to operate it better than anyone else given his background - as it would be irrational that he would never once considered using the Gundam himself while he spent his childhood years making the thing to fulfil his suppose duty and act on his hatre against the UE.

I can say that AGE has actually given one of the more convincing explanation that we've ever got for a civilian teenager "accidentally" becoming a pilot in Gundam history. For UC work where the protagonist aren't professional pilots none of the Gundam pilots has ever awaken as a Newtype in their first scramble, instead we have always been just told that the protagonist is "good at mechanics" in the first episode (Amurao, Kamiyu, Judo, Seabook etc all fall into this category) and Newtype power is not associated with good piloting sense (it gives you a combat advantage, but not piloting sense) - the protagonist is always augmented with being either a mechanical engineering prodigy/student (Amuro, Seabook) or had experience with non-combat/small size mobile suits (Kamiyu, Judo) or even secret pilot training (Usso, Banagher) to make it plausible , here Flit is also given the same old "good at mechanics" reason (again he spent years studying and building the whole damn thing just from the blue prints! even Kira's ability pales to Flit's mechanical sense here), so singling out AGE here is just ignoring the same flaw that exists in almost all other Gundams.

As for why he wins his first battle, as per Gundam tradition the Gundam is over-powered, so again per tradition Flint relied on the power of the Gundam to defeat the enemy, plus as the episode has explained the memory unit has data which he dock into the Gundam, the "excuses" for making it plausible are actually plentiful in the episode unless you wilfully ignore it, and most of these excuses are just straight out cut and paste from previous Gundams!

Quote:
I don't understand why he would show his teacher his evidence for an attack rather than someone who can actually do something (y'know like the military people he is working with?).
That looked like it was a whim of a moment emotional out burst due to his classmates being care free. It seems he was going to tell the military when he goes back to base for the testing of Gundam that afternoon anyway, but in the morning he was in a rush when Emily was so eager to push him to get to school so he didn't get the chance, and shit hit the fan before he could do anything. Chronologically speaking there isn't much of a problem with it.
houkoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 05:41   Link #183
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charred Knight View Post
For those claiming that the suits are not "realistic", the suits haven't been realistic since G Gundam. The Gundams have become some fusion of Super Robots and Real Robots. It's just more impressive looking when the Gundams start doing backflips, and doing amazing dodges.
After seeing the next couple of posts and how that accidentally became the focal point (which I should have known) it ofcourse hit me I never should have said "realism" as it's not entirely what I meant and I agree with your point that it's more of a fusion now, plus my real issue wasn't that it wasn't realistic I just wasn't ready for it.

Hmmm...it's hard to describe in words since it's just a feeling you get as it happens but I guess I should say that there was no build up to that moment and little prior mobile suit action for context, first it's slowly walking forward and he defensively covers up with his arms up as he gets shot getting the point across that Flit's just getting used to this for a first time launch even if he kind of knows what he's doing with mundane camera angles and rough shots that don't particularly subtly prepare you for how it can move and then it's doing "the move", ofcourse there's always the "cool move" that the pilot usually pulls off that first time via luck/reflexes teasing his future skills to us to save himself that first time but for some reason it felt awkward this time like there wasn't any build up to it or subtlety to the early steps of the Gundam, perhaps since there were so few of them this time, that hinted it could move like that, so I think something about the framing of the scene or how pedestrian the "launch" of the Gundam felt that kinda lulled me into not expecting it though I should have as the next couple of people rightfully pointed out.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2011-10-10 at 06:18.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 06:07   Link #184
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

Pretty good episodes but this being gundam im not looking forward to most of the charaters dying in the last fight
How many eps is this suspose to be anyway?
Old 2011-10-10, 06:10   Link #185
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty543 View Post
Pretty good episodes but this being gundam im not looking forward to most of the charaters dying in the last fight
How many eps is this suspose to be anyway?
I think it was said 50 eps somehow split into the three generations.
Old 2011-10-10, 06:16   Link #186
.:Jason:.
~The Radiant Protector~

Send a message via AIM to .:Jason:. Send a message via MSN to .:Jason:.
So about 16 episodes per generation with one of them getting 18? Since 16 x 3 is 48.

Set by TheEroKing.
.:Jason:. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 06:22   Link #187
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

what!? what do you mean by generations??

is it like seasons?
Old 2011-10-10, 06:35   Link #188
Araxiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
It is not just NA. I don't think AGE is stream anywhere in the west. Did anyone checked if it is on PSN?
Blocked here in the UK as well, as we're basically a subsidiary of the US when it comes to things like this

However, I have now seen it thanks to the usual enterprising Internet skullduggery, and my thoughts can be read here.

Going for a 7 out of 10, and expecting a bunch of votes at 1 as the usual knee-jerk.
Old 2011-10-10, 06:36   Link #189
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty543 View Post
what!? what do you mean by generations??

is it like seasons?
General Series Info not really a spoiler since it's all over the initial series announcement and wiki etc.:
Spoiler:
Old 2011-10-10, 06:45   Link #190
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

srry but what character page?? theres none here
Old 2011-10-10, 06:52   Link #191
DangerMouse

From the official Japanese site:

http://www.gundam-age.net/character.html
Old 2011-10-10, 07:04   Link #192
Revolutionist
Puppet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN0010 Nosferatu View Post
What makes you so sure about that?
Aliens would have come to Earth with a purpose, usually to get our resources. So they would annihilate us as fast as possible and get to work, not sit around for 14 years randomly attacking colonies.
Old 2011-10-10, 07:17   Link #193
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

thanks for the link, i wish they had a girl for one of those generations, its always a male lead for gundam series
Old 2011-10-10, 11:05   Link #194
D-KLAC
KLAC OF THE ANIME WORLD

kentucky long rifle indeed after seeing pics & etc

& WHAT his mom is same name of marina in 00 geez & twenty bucks his did is set-light?

yea indeed is like gundam version WWE’s PG era or younger kidder to watch.

i rather take another season of GS era than the “finger poke of doom” aka age gundam.

indeeed come back & save_US GS era & Lacus.
YOU EITHER ANIME NEXUS http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=24159 OR AGAINST THE ANIME
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6WFM...eature=related
KLAC OF PERSONALITY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqyG8w0iMPw
D-KLAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 11:12   Link #195
casval cehack

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWing View Post
I don't understand why he would show his teacher his evidence for an attack rather than someone who can actually do something (y'know like the military people he is working with?).
Funny, he already MET the military commander (then the chief gundam officer) on the way to school, with his prediction scroll in hand. The very person who can do something about the impending attack.
casval cehack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 11:18   Link #196
Revolutionist
Puppet Master

This premier was underwhelming, and even though I'll probably end up watching this series, it'll be for the sake of the name more than anything else, not because they got me pumped anxious for the next episode. No, in fact I am more excited for the next Fate/Zero episode than I am for AGE, and I already know how that series will end...That is kinda sad IMO. I don't know if anyone feels the same.

I decided to do a bit of research and compare this premier to that of 00 S1, just to see if people feel the same way I do about this pilot episode. Now, S1 of 00 wasn't known to have started very strongly, in fact many called it dull, and yet it had 59.6% total votes of very good to excellent for its premier. As opposed to 38.3% for AGE. It's still too early to tell, but a good amount of people give this a 7/10 or below, which is right around average, some would say mediocre...
Old 2011-10-10, 11:25   Link #197
KaiDamien
Sua-ve-ke-va

Quote:
Originally Posted by RES-01 Perses Gundam View Post
Maybe because Flit pays more attention to the UE than most people do. Then again, this should be the job of people in the EFF, not Flit
To think about it , it maybe a hint that there are UE insiders in the earth forces.
KaiDamien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 11:29   Link #198
klare

the gundam popular formula is back: the enemy attack, the boy forced to pilot gundam for the 1st time to protect, he ended up winning, later will join the battleship

but i have some problems with this one: the main chars are too young, Flit has weird hairstyle, dont like the characters designs, the enemy MS looks terrible, and the story (a boy predicted the attack while no one else did?)

will see how it goes in eps 2
Old 2011-10-10, 11:58   Link #199
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by klare View Post
the gundam popular formula is back: the enemy attack, the boy forced to pilot gundam for the 1st time to protect, he ended up winning, later will join the battleship

but i have some problems with this one: the main chars are too young, Flit has weird hairstyle, dont like the characters designs, the enemy MS looks terrible, and the story (a boy predicted the attack while no one else did?)

will see how it goes in eps 2
Again, Flit's age is par for the course compared to every other Gundam protagonist we've seen. If you have issue with Flit's age, then you better have an issue with every other protagonist in Gundam--because if not, you're being a hypocrite.
Old 2011-10-10, 12:05   Link #200
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Deacon Blues Send a message via MSN to Deacon Blues
I'm calling this now. Flit's father is somehow connected with the UE and the AGE Device is his mother's way of getting back at him. Or something to that effect.
そして、戦っている人間が汚れて見えないのも事実だ」

So why do people fight, anyway?
Perhaps the meaning of existence lies within their will to fight.
People feel a sense of accomplishment through battle.
And it’s also a fact that the ones actually fighting are never perceived as being tainted.
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weekly episode discussion