AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Majutsu no Index

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2014-06-18, 20:56   Link #1981
GDB

Just saying, but using Pokemon as an example of a remake isn't the best reference. First, it's a single thing, so you just plop down the $30-$40 and you're good. An anime, especially one that would, at minimum, be 12 volumes, would be a minimum of $500.

Second, Pokemon is usually 10+ years old when a game gets remade. Index is barely 5, and that's just for the first season. The second is even newer.

Evangelion is similar, since it's 18 years old.

I still rewatch Index I, Index II, and Railgun episodes. They're really not any lower quality than current stuff, discounting "artistic" stuff like No Game No Life.
Old 2014-06-18, 21:08   Link #1982
dniv
I知 sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Just saying, but using Pokemon as an example of a remake isn't the best reference. First, it's a single thing, so you just plop down the $30-$40 and you're good. An anime, especially one that would, at minimum, be 12 volumes, would be a minimum of $500.

Second, Pokemon is usually 10+ years old when a game gets remade. Index is barely 5, and that's just for the first season. The second is even newer.

Evangelion is similar, since it's 18 years old.

I still rewatch Index I, Index II, and Railgun episodes. They're really not any lower quality than current stuff, discounting "artistic" stuff like No Game No Life.
But my point isn't about the current fanbase... it's about the people who aren't giving it a chance because it wasn't done as well as things like Railgun S. The fact that some people like Railgun and hate Index already kind of proves there is some problem that exists, and that many Index anime fans don't like Railgun... It's kind of a problem. I don't really think Railgun needs to be redone; I'm just talking about Index...

It should be more clear that everything is part of the same universe and that everything is connected. I just really don't see the world-building here. You know stuff from later novels so everything feels better for you. But for other people who lack the details, they think there are plot holes. That's the biggest BS I've ever heard, like seriously. This series has no plot holes.

But as long as the anime isn't changed, then these annoying people will just not try the novels and they'll literally miss out on everything, and I think a reboot would convince people like that to watch the series. And the reason I want a reboot is that I already like what we already have, but I liked Railgun S way more than anything else except maybe the animation of AC in the movie.

This is why I really think that we actually need a reboot. Though your point about the timeliness of remakes makes sense when you point it out. Though that still doesn't answer the reason why people keep on watching all of the DBZ remakes. While you may be right in general, I think that it could really be beneficial for this series if either scenario 1: a better studio works on it, or scenario 2: J.C. staff does this again like they did Railgun S or to be more specific like they did Toradora, which was amazing in contrast to most of their recent stuff... For example, Fairy Tail 2014 is being done by the guy who animated SAO, and it looks much better than before.

All I'm pointing out is that it would be really cool if all of the details from the series and all of the characters and the entire world were animated (and people saw just how intricate this series is) instead of people seeing something half-baked and having to make do with that. There's really no way it'll ever be as good this way... There's too many missing details IMO.
Old 2014-06-18, 21:09   Link #1983
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

It would be a financial waste. Assuming its planned for the Fall event, they know they need to get it on with it rather than backtrack and waste money on what would air on re-runs or other methods to view previous seasons.
Old 2014-06-18, 21:13   Link #1984
dniv
I知 sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACertainStark View Post
It would be a financial waste. Assuming its planned for the Fall event, they know they need to get it on with it rather than backtrack and waste money on what would air on re-runs or other methods to view previous seasons.
What if they use the movie money to do both a reboot and season III? Hey, they have a lot of announcements... you never know. They could just make the season III now in a way that the reboot doesn't contradict any of it. And the way they can do that is by making Index III high quality to the point that it mentions all of the important details. Also, we still have a few more days to the real anniversary of the series, maybe we'll get something special then...
Old 2014-06-18, 21:17   Link #1985
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

Does this money even go straight to Dengeki/Kadokawa? aren't there a ton of sponsors involved on an anime and it splits up?

What would a reboot accomplish? none of the world-building will be in it even on the second run through, I bet. It's hard to go from text to video. Those are huge info dumps and that isn't really exciting. The difference with Railgun is that it's simply adapting a manga.

Only thing I think it accomplishes is that it masks the bad with 'modern' animation. i.e. Mahouka.
Old 2014-06-18, 21:25   Link #1986
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
You know stuff from later novels so everything feels better for you. But for other people who lack the details, they think there are plot holes. That's the biggest BS I've ever heard, like seriously. This series has no plot holes.
Actually, I don't. I haven't read any of the novels. I've only watched the 4 seasons of anime and read the Railgun manga. As far as knowledge of the novels go, that's the extent: I know they exist.

Quote:
Though your point about the timeliness of remakes makes sense when you point it out. Though that still doesn't answer the reason why people keep on watching all of the DBZ remakes.
DBZ's like, 18-20 years old.
Old 2014-06-18, 21:31   Link #1987
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Dniv, Put yourself in another person's shoe and think of a show that you don't like, would it really make you watch it again if it's being reboot?

And I don't mean shows from adaptations you're familiar with and didn't like the adaptarion, but rather shows that the first time around you didn't like the premise or characters.
Old 2014-06-18, 21:41   Link #1988
dniv
I知 sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Does this money even go straight to Dengeki/Kadokawa? aren't there a ton of sponsors involved on an anime and it splits up?

What would a reboot accomplish? none of the world-building will be in it even on the second run through, I bet. It's hard to go from text to video. Those are huge info dumps and that isn't really exciting. The difference with Railgun is that it's simply adapting a manga.

Only thing I think it accomplishes is that it masks the bad with 'modern' animation. i.e. Mahouka.
I do agree with you about the fact that they're adapting a manga, but it doesn't explain the fanbase that is literally split in half. Kamachi deserves a fanbase that isn't mostly a cult, seriously.

As far as the tons of sponsors go, from what I know, I think it depends on the situation. If they wanted to do it enough, they could probably make it work. I just don't think it'll happen right now since Kamachi is too invested in his other stuff at the moment, but I believe that could change eventually.

I also think you missed my point lol. I don't just want a reboot with better animation; I want a reboot with the world-building. The point is that they adapt every detail/small scene from every novel instead of what they did. If they were clever enough, they could get away with no info dumps at all if they made the information revealed naturally. Obviously, they don't have to mention every single little thing if it's animated as a picture or image on the screen instead, but for important details, it would be nice if they explained how powers actually work for example instead of the weak descriptions given in the anime. The tone is much more childish IMO. It feels kind of like Shonen instead of like Seinen because of the differences in terms and other things. It's hard to critique this without spoiling things lol. Anyway, I'm sure you get my point even if I don't go into details.

If they could reboot it with all of the world-building then I'd want it. I don't a reboot if it doesn't have the world-building, lol. The only reason we want the reboot in the first place is that we want the world-building. I wouldn't even care if they changed the organization of they reveal the information like Railgun S, as long as it is done that well and we get the information. I mean... if the novels weren't written for an anime adaptation, then "anime-only canon" could work as well if it basically introduces the same details/scenarios but has a bit of extra stuff in certain places to make it easier to do with info-dumping. I really wouldn't mind that... I don't really know what I want, but I think that they could probably make the world-building work and that's really the only thing we don't have that I really want/care about.

Hey... lol Mahouka works. I wish Index I/II looked nicer like that. I'm greedy, and I know I won't get any of my wishes, but that doesn't mean I can't wish for them anyway.

Quote:
Actually, I don't. I haven't read any of the novels. I've only watched the 4 seasons of anime and read the Railgun manga. As far as knowledge of the novels go, that's the extent: I know they exist.

That makes sense then. You have no idea what you're missing which is why you're ok with the stuff you have. Now it makes more sense to me. Let's just say that the difference is ridiculous in scope and you literally can't understand if you don't read his novels because they're way better than the anime (and they start getting amazing when the material for season III is supposed to start which is why they better do season III right)!

DBZ's like, 18-20 years old.
The new remakes of the remakes of the remakes of the remakes DEFINITELY aren't. I'm sure of that since I loved DBZ for a long time. And by DBZ I mean all three of them (depending on whether or not you count GT...) I mean they've done Kai twice already for god sakes.

@Chaos2Frozen

There are a lot of people who didn't watch past episode 1/2/3 though. Those people would probably at least try it again if it's supposed to be that different and it is marketed well.

For people who saw more, it would be different, but perhaps if it were good enough, people could literally make it more popular by talking about it. I'm just pointing out that isn't as hopeless as it seems. If it were that amazing, then many more people would at least try it out. That's just how I feel about it anyway... I might be completely wrong...
Old 2014-06-18, 21:49   Link #1989
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
The new remakes of the remakes of the remakes of the remakes DEFINITELY aren't. I'm sure of that since I loved DBZ for a long time. And by DBZ I mean all three of them (depending on whether or not you count GT...) I mean they've done Kai twice already for god sakes.
Well, GT was never remade, nor was it a remake. DB wasn't remade, nor was it a remake. That only leaves DBZ. Kai is the only "remake", though it's really more of a remaster. It wasn't done twice, either. The first Kai covered Saiyan through Cell sagas, while the current Kai is the Buu saga. It'd be like saying Index season 2 is a remake of Index season 1; it's not, it's just the next season. Same for calling DBZ a remake of DB. It's just the next arc/saga, not a remake.

I'm thinking you're confusing Funimation's infinite different releases as remakes, which they aren't.

Quote:
There are a lot of people who didn't watch past episode 1/2/3 though. Those people would probably at least try it again if it's supposed to be that different and it is marketed well.
It'd probably have to be on the level of the upcoming Sailor Moon or Fate/Stay Night remakes (or FMA Brotherhood) to make that happen if they couldn't even get past 3 episodes. Index wasn't butchered, nor was it so vastly different from the source material that it's a different thing entirely.
Old 2014-06-18, 21:53   Link #1990
dniv
I知 sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Well, GT was never remade, nor was it a remake. DB wasn't remade, nor was it a remake. That only leaves DBZ. Kai is the only "remake", though it's really more of a remaster. It wasn't done twice, either. The first Kai covered Saiyan through Cell sagas, while the current Kai is the Buu saga. It'd be like saying Index season 2 is a remake of Index season 1; it's not, it's just the next season. Same for calling DBZ a remake of DB. It's just the next arc/saga, not a remake.

I'm thinking you're confusing Funimation's infinite different releases as remakes, which they aren't.

It'd probably have to be on the level of the upcoming Sailor Moon or Fate/Stay Night remakes (or FMA Brotherhood) to make that happen if they couldn't even get past 3 episodes. Index wasn't butchered, nor was it so vastly different from the source material that it's a different thing entirely.
@Your DBZ comment.... Ah. I was confused by Funimation, lol.

@Your second point: You have a fair point there. I was just saying that I think it would be more popular in general... I don't know... I just think the Light Novels are much better because of the details that are just missing in the anime. They don't really matter that much now... but they kind of will... it makes the difference between having Checkov's guns and having asspulls... and that'd probably really be important to some anime watchers... Though this really only applies to NT, and I guess you could say none of us have a clue if NT will ever get adapted let alone Index III...
Old 2014-06-18, 22:00   Link #1991
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

@dniv: no i totally got your point, but the reality is such things like that are not really feasible.

Also, that is subjective, I don't think it was childish and you're really making it sound like the anime butchered it when that was not the case and not everything from the 'world building' was omitted. They kept in the important plot points if you give it a re-watch. The tone seems the same in the LN.
Old 2014-06-19, 00:08   Link #1992
Pablete
Banned

Nobody (aka new audience) is going to give a chance for Index series if there is a chance of reboot, with the series being this long I think it's pure coincidence I ended up following it(but I'm not that much since I have priorities with other series over Index).

So if I was on another situation I would never give it a chance. Fore example Hunter x Hunter has a reboot (since 2011) and I didn't watch it. Simple as that.
Old 2014-06-19, 08:39   Link #1993
dniv
I知 sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablete View Post
Nobody (aka new audience) is going to give a chance for Index series if there is a chance of reboot, with the series being this long I think it's pure coincidence I ended up following it(but I'm not that much since I have priorities with other series over Index).

So if I was on another situation I would never give it a chance. Fore example Hunter x Hunter has a reboot (since 2011) and I didn't watch it. Simple as that.
I really want to point out that you certainly can't use yourself as an example for saying how everyone else would react. I'm not buying it. It's true that I accidentally started watching this, but that's because I'd never heard of it before I was shown it by someone else. I didn't skip over this: I just never saw it before....
Old 2014-06-19, 09:26   Link #1994
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

^
Also, HunterxHunter isn't really the best counterexample for reboots. Its a really good show in its own right and a lot of people enjoy it.

I think we should drop this talk about an Index reboot. Arguably, Index volumes 1-11 is saturated with the most annoying parts of the series. Rebooting it is a waste of time. Continue on with God's Right Seat already! Mainly because it becomes difficult to call Index a harem series with the way the events unfold.
Old 2014-06-19, 10:20   Link #1995
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

Yeah. I didn't enjoy OT till we got to Academy Invasion, which they anime did really well. It felt like an eternity getting through.
Old 2014-06-19, 10:52   Link #1996
dniv
I知 sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH&S View Post
^
Also, HunterxHunter isn't really the best counterexample for reboots. Its a really good show in its own right and a lot of people enjoy it.

I think we should drop this talk about an Index reboot. Arguably, Index volumes 1-11 is saturated with the most annoying parts of the series. Rebooting it is a waste of time. Continue on with God's Right Seat already! Mainly because it becomes difficult to call Index a harem series with the way the events unfold.
I guess I agree.

I definitely agree with you that the material for Index III and onwards is way better than what was adopted for the first two seasons.

Also, I'm still perpetually biased since I first saw Index I with an English dub.

Quote:
Yeah. I didn't enjoy OT till we got to Academy Invasion, which they anime did really well. It felt like an eternity getting through.
That's kind of true as well. I just want the announcements already.
Old 2014-06-24, 23:12   Link #1997
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Wasn't there supposed to be an announcement regarding the supposed Shokuhou Misaki figurine today?
Old 2014-06-25, 01:39   Link #1998
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

There are two figures confirmed.

Misaki Shokuhou is no surprise.

The other is a 65cm (about two and half feet) figure of a lewd Misaka Mikoto.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2014-06-25, 03:04   Link #1999
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

Do they mention who the maker is for Misaki figure? It's a deal breaker if it's not ALTER, good smile or Kotobukiya
Old 2014-06-25, 03:35   Link #2000
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Nothing about the manufacturer on the site itself, but it says that Kamachi will be interviewed on the August issue of Dengeki Hobby Magazine while details about the Mikoto figure would be published on September issue of Dengeki Daioh Magazine.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Closed Thread

Tags
fantasy, science fiction, shounen