Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well Philomela would have had such a normal life if it wasnt for her grandma

Well Morrígan is really getting closeup to Chise & Elias just to make a deal
Old 2023-11-23, 22:23   Link #202
Twi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
So, is what Morrigan truly after Chise's baby? Elias said she was too young to give her a proper offering yet, and Morrigan mentioned the fruits of love. Solving the whole thing with a simple mistletoe seems way too easy.
She wanted Mistletoe. Remember in the first season Chise left a twig in her path? She cherished it and when they ran into the Spring Goddess (the smaller girl), she repaid their kindness by helping Ruth find Chise after Elias took her off somewhere on his own back when he was in his... clingy phase, to put it politely. She asked that another offering be made when she becomes the Winter Goddess again, which Ruth agreed to.

So now that she's the Winter Goddess again, she came to collect what was owed, since as Chise and Elias pointed out last episode, contracts are very important for mages to keep. Chise not having the offering prepared was something Elias pinned on her being young and the situation being as dire as it was, so in exchange for helping her become Morrigan by acting as a Shaman through the use of her true name, they made a new contract where she would deal with Chise's foes in exchange for the Mistletoe.

For non-mages or us, Mistletoe is just a plant. But for her, a Goddess of eld, it holds different significance and something she really wants. Elias shielding Chise's eyes as he did was something he also did the last time they crossed paths and what Silky did for Joseph, because there are some beings in the world you just can't look at directly. And among them the gods were very rarely good for humanity.
Old 2023-11-24, 07:38   Link #203
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Thanks for the explanation. I guess I was reading too much into it. Regardless of what she wants, she is still very scary.
Old 2023-11-30, 11:32   Link #204
Frontier

Zoe vs Wolf Mama! And it's taking all of his limited gorgon eye power to hold her back! But in a pinch he unleashes his inner gorgon (which is actually pretty scary) and frees Wolf Mama from her brainwashing. And now he's become her God, so...congratulations Zoe !

Oh jeez, not only is Philomela's body falling apart, but she hasn't even had a soul this whole time, Alcyone's been storing it in her body so Philomela could escape notice. But can you add any more misery on this girl? Not even getting her soul back helps anything .

To be honest Alcyone doesn't look great either, but she's still committed to making sure Philomela is taken care of, even if it means just letting the other kids pass because she expects they'll be willing to do more for her than Elias will .

Isaac with the sword! He's also very testy about his face, probably because of his wounds .

And of course Lucy spots her family's spiders in the grandmothers' room and no amount of scary Philomela can hold a candle to her wrath. It's actually kind of funny that Lucy is so intimidating she just straight up approaches Philomela and kicks her, demanding answers, and Philomela immediately goes back to her meek and guilty self. Hell hath no fury like a Lucy scorned .

But it seems like if we're going to get anywhere we need to go into Philomela's mind and watch as Smol Chise and Smol Philomela help put the pieces of her self back together by going through her childhood and all her emotional trauma (with a dash of Chise's mixed in). Poor girl once preferred being locked in a cell just because it meant she wouldn't have to listen to her grandmothers' verbal abuse. And Chise may not want to save Philomela just for Philomela's sake, seeing in Philomela her own vulnerable self, but she still wants to help her nevertheless .

Oh, so now we're doing the thing in the OP where Chise finds the gangs' kids form and helps them through their emotional trauma! I love how Philomela doesn't even hesitate to go to Isaac when they find him and Lucy channeled her tears into rage rather than sit around and cry all the time (though she did cry) .

Lucy and Philomela actually open up to each other! Lucy wants Philomela to be more honest with her feelings and how she feels now, if she wants anything to really change in her life, and even gives her Lucy's spider plushie. It's a rather sweet scene...and of course then they play out Philomela's involvement in Lucy's families death .

I mean, none of it is Philomela's fault. Her grandmother just made her go with the werewolves to get the spider and see how the Sargent family operates, right down to massacring an entire family. What was Philomela supposed to do? How was she supposed to talk to Lucy? But maybe she can't change the past, but she can be honest with how she feels now, and that might be enough. And she wants someone to help her! And she still really needs said help as the grimoire consumes her once again .
Old 2023-11-30, 14:05   Link #205
Twi

Okay, review is done and some cut content below.

Spoiler:
Old 2023-11-30, 17:22   Link #206
grecefar

I haven't liked this colleger arc that much, too much drama. I miss chise and elias adventures.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-11-30, 18:46   Link #207
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I just want Philomela to have a happy ending...
Old 2023-11-30, 21:48   Link #208
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well that is a lot of Philomela's childhood trauma and a few peaks of Chise trauma

All these old families seem to be dicks to there kids if there not progenies
Old 2023-12-01, 04:31   Link #209
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

It's not the Japanese urban fantasy without old sorcerer families being power-obsessed dicks. Just remember Fate.

On related note, new manga arc will start in December but it moves from Monthhly Comic Garden to new Bushiroad online magazine (Comic Growl). May have to do something with mangakas editor moving there.

Last edited by Nachtwandler; 2023-12-01 at 04:57.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-07, 11:47   Link #210
Frontier

Thanks for screwing up your app Crunchyroll! Now I can't watch any episodes on time because they're almost never available on time on your site .

I know there's still so much drama and emotional anguish going on with Philomela, as always, but I also can't help but notice how she spent almost this entire episode naked .

Dang it Philomela, you should've woke Chise up instead of running off .

Oh hey, Ruth finally does stuff! I can't even remember the last episode where he even had dialogue .

Is there anything of Philomela's her grandmother didn't corrupt? Be it her memory of her parents or corrupting Alycone's loyalty towards her into something Lizbeth could use. Thankfully it seems like Elias managed to fix her a little .

So this all goes back to Lizbeth as a mother. She was the prodigal daughter and scion of the Sargentfamily but had trouble conceiving a child, which only bothered her because of how it made others look down on her. And then when she finally has a child, Adam, she was not overt with motherly affection even though Adam craved it from her. She also found him cute and repulsive which is...probably not how you want your mother to think of you .

And then it all went awry when Adam met Iris and decided to free himself from the grip of his mothers' expectations and control over him and the rest is history...and Lizbeth became obsessed with her son, especially not having a body to even bury of him, and turned that obsession into her hatred of Philomela. Not only did Philomela remind her of the mother that Lizbeth hated, but she looked so much like Adam that any moment she didn't measure up to him was another reason for Lizbeth to hate her. Philomela could never win .

Philomela finally realizes that everything she did, all her efforts to make her grandmother proud, were pointless when she was only meant to be a sacrifice to bring Adam back. Her grandmother has become so vile that even her eyes are pure black, and there was no true love in that woman's heart. Philomela never had anything to truly live for .

But even so, she had people who wanted to give her the opportunity to use her own voice, to say what she wanted to say, do the things she wanted to do...and with that opportunity Philomela finally cries out for help. And Chise, being Chise, just hammers through a ritual to a frikkin' God to save her !

The first step to freeing Philomela has succeeded! And she's even sharing a tender moment with Chise and saying her name! Now it's time for the Boss Battle with grandma .
Old 2023-12-07, 13:59   Link #211
Twi

Review done.

Cut content
Spoiler:
Old 2023-12-07, 18:16   Link #212
grecefar

the old hag wasn't even a good mother, I don't give a damn about her past and she should suffer a fate worse than death.

after nico robin, scenes of character asking for help doesn't feel the same. Still I cheered that she finally did it. I guess philomela pillars will be chise, isaac and lucy but there are still issues to solve with lucy until she learn the whole truth.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-07, 18:24   Link #213
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Her flasback was exactly to show she does not even have a redeeming backstory. So I hope she'll die horribly.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-07, 18:54   Link #214
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I'm starting to think the OTP of this show is Chise x Philomela.
Old 2023-12-07, 20:54   Link #215
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I'm starting to think the OTP of this show is Chise x Philomela.
She's spent more time building up relationships with Lucy and Philomela than spending time with Elias. They could very easily spin this into a Yuri anime .
Old 2023-12-07, 21:46   Link #216
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

So Lizbeth was treated badly by everyone so in turn she treats her son and granddaughter like crap its seem that whole house is fulled with a bunch jerks
Old 2023-12-08, 01:40   Link #217
Twi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
She's spent more time building up relationships with Lucy and Philomela than spending time with Elias. They could very easily spin this into a Yuri anime .
I mean... you're not wrong. Even back when the chapters first came out in the manga a few people said they got that impression, whereas I'm thinking the real ship is Alcyone x Elias.

But these are merely the ramblings of a mind that is waiting for the manga to finally update later this month.
Old 2023-12-08, 12:56   Link #218
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

That scene with Elias and Alcyone was one of his most romantic thus far. Didn't have the patriarchal aspect of his relationship with Chise.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-14, 11:34   Link #219
Frontier

You thought you just had to worry about Wolf Mama? Here's Wolf Pup! I'm scared what Zaccheroni might do to him though .

Philomela has finally said she needs help, and Chise is happy to provide it! And the pair share quite the tender moment together, and Alcyone can finally be affectionate and sincere with Philomela again !

Of course Lizbeth had to ruin everything and now SHE'S the one consumed by the curse, to the point where she now looks every bit the monster we all know she is. So consumed by her twisted and crazy possessiveness towards her son, she'll consume anything in her path to get him back. Good thing we've got Elias and Wolf Mama for support !

Alcyone, no! Not when you were finally free and able to be there for Philomela! You're like the one thing she has left of her parents! I mean, at least Alcyone gave Philomela all the memories of her parents that she lost, but Alcyone isn't even in them because they're from her eyes! And they had so much time to make up with each other !

But I guess this was all planned from the get-go, Adam injecting a curse that takes on his form into Alcyone so that if something ever tried to hurt Philomela it would activate upon Alcyone's destruction...and he knew it was going to be his grandmother who activated it. And now he's ready to turn all of Adam's resentment and anger towards his mother back at her .

Though everybody wants a piece of Lizbeth. Lucy for answers about her family, Curse Adam because of his programming, Wolf Mama because of her cubs, and even the God they were summoning that consumed her. Meanwhile of course the Morrigan smells all the strife and conflict going on and wants a piece of the action herself .

Man, poor Philomela. She finally sees her father again and it's just a curse that can't provide the affection and love she craves. Even when things go her way, she still loses .

Chise with that psychotic grin and shark teeth was quite the visual .

Aw, Philomela pushed Isaac out of the way to protect him! And Wolf Mama went out of her way to save him and Lucy! She does love protecting kids...even if Lucy is still angry about her family, though it seems like their deaths were linked to working on the very book for Lizbeth that caused all these problems in the first place .

The Morrigan is powerful and this God vs God conflict is exciting, but the main characters have to be the one to resolve this, which means Philomela has to get the book back. And while Lucy is happy to punch Philomela's noggin when she thinks she has to sacrifice herself again, the whole group is ready to pinch in and help her !

Look at everybody riding the two Elias'! And giving the Morrigan an opportunity to free the book! And now with the power of friendship, it's time for Philomela to bring this arc to a close .
Old 2023-12-14, 18:49   Link #220
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I was not expecting Morrigan to help some more... and for there to be so many shots of her feet I lost count

Lizbeth got what she deserved, although I'm not sure she's dead dead yet. It would make a lot more sense for Curse Adam to deal the final blow.

Alcyone finally got to fulfill her purpose. Philomela obtaining records of the happy times with her family is a small consolation.

Tags
drama, fantasy