AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 6 Rating
Perfect 10 57 36.54%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 55 35.26%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 31 19.87%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 3.21%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 2.56%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 4 2.56%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-16, 07:47   Link #201
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Damn you stole my sig idea. I was waiting for a bigger picture with the sub. You also stole my comments I was going to make. Ok I'm really going to have to take things to new heights in my take on the episode. Plus now I need a new idea for a sig.
Gomen I saw it first. And I just can't resist loli moe girls bathing. Episode wins perfect. Btw whoever voted 1 (Taking a quote out of Garfield the cat) "Should be draged out to the streets and shot!" >_<
Old 2007-05-16, 08:00   Link #202
nadare

Send a message via MSN to nadare
^The one who voted for 1 isn't counted, since, the vote was made way before lucky star aired.

The preview made me cringe. it reminded me of horrible scabs turned scars... bad times bad times.
Old 2007-05-16, 08:50   Link #203
General_Asakura
Random Lazy Dude

the way konata sleeps reminds me of goku in dragonball when he was little, possible reference?
Old 2007-05-16, 09:17   Link #204
Meophist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Football isn't my sport anyway people. My sport is Hockey, being Canadian and all. I don't really like football at all actually, so to me it's not hotblooded.
Yeah, well, I like Curling. Football isn't one of my favourites anyways. Do you happen to be one of those who goes to/watches Hockey games just for the fights?

Anyways, the Initial D refernce kinda made me wonder, why aren't there more racing anime?
Old 2007-05-16, 09:31   Link #205
GriS

Is Konata suffering from motion sickness? or is it just a reference as said in the previous post/overly localised subs? (03:40)
Old 2007-05-16, 09:51   Link #206
Meophist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriS View Post
Is Konata suffering from motion sickness? or is it just a reference as said in the previous post/overly localised subs? (03:40)
According to my brother, the main character of Initial D's girlfriend has said the exact same line. So I'd wager it's a reference.
Old 2007-05-16, 09:55   Link #207
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
I do get carsick when the driver drives as if it is a F1 race, I can understand what Konata meant.
So the line on whether it is a reference or not is very very thin.
Old 2007-05-16, 09:58   Link #208
Meophist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
I do get carsick when the driver drives as if it is a F1 race, I can understand what Konata meant.
I was actually thinking the same thing, especially when Konata "sacrificed" the twins to her. It could be both a reference and her being truthful.
Old 2007-05-16, 10:08   Link #209
GriS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meophist View Post
According to my brother, the main character of Initial D's girlfriend has said the exact same line. So I'd wager it's a reference.
Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification.

Though I'm not especially fond of Miyuki, it's hilarious how she failed miserably at attempting to 'siam' from the dentist : And she is showing her usual trait (exposition girl) again with explanation of 'sticky' hairs. I think I have learn new concept from her about the hairs being affected by salt water and UV rays.

Drifting at speed of 40kmh is rather suspicious if not unrealistic. I think she has modified her speedograph as the graphic indicates she is really speeding.
Old 2007-05-16, 10:17   Link #210
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadare View Post
^The one who voted for 1 isn't counted, since, the vote was made way before lucky star aired.

The preview made me cringe. it reminded me of horrible scabs turned scars... bad times bad times.
Icon818 (the one that votes '1') *acts* pretty civil in his posts... so I can only assume he's either confused about the ratings or low level trolling. He hasn't even posted in the threads here.
Old 2007-05-16, 10:19   Link #211
Scep
commands you to...!
*Artist

Actually, due to my half-sleep half-awake state i was in when i was watching the episode, i practically feel asleep during that explanation. Either way, general coments about the episode :

1) Initial D reference is great. Putting the cup full of water in the car ftw XD Now im just wondering where she got the cup and water from. I was half expecting there to be a scene later with someone stating that the food had not been shredded into pieces ( initial D tofu reference ) XD

2) Nice to see the teacher getting dug at by herself unintentionally XD
Old 2007-05-16, 10:19   Link #212
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Asakura View Post
the way konata sleeps reminds me of goku in dragonball when he was little, possible reference?
I also thought that, though since the Dragonball franchise, i have seen many more anime characters sleep like that --- so its hard to say.
Old 2007-05-16, 10:27   Link #213
Willen
Aoba Tsukishima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai1 View Post
the song by tsukasa at the end is actually quite catchy.
Quite unique too having karaoke sequences instead of a standard ED everytime. I like it. But why do we only see the door. -.-

edit: btw what song is it anyway?
And does anyone know who Kuninama Sayuri is?

edit2: lol i found several versions of the song on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NxaME0-7pE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkXrWvw2-Gg (who was the original singer?)
Valentine Kiss. But I like the tsukasa version better
Either Konata mangled the name of the original singer (like she normally manages to mangle some words) or they purposely obfuscated it to avoid legal issues. krln99 posted the name of the original singer (and group) way back in post #42.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krln99 View Post
The best part was the Initial D ref, complete with grainy anime and Eurobeat music. The night time scary story part was good, too.

The ending song was "Valentine Kiss" (1986) by Kokusho Sayuri of the group Onyanko Club, pretty much the 1980s progenitor of all female idol groups, especially Morning Musume. If anyone wanted to know what Kona was doing, she was acting like a fan at a concert, singing along and doing the chants and stuff. To this day, "Valentine Kiss" is still the #1 requested song to be played on Valentine's Day in Japan.
Here's a performance of the original artist:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbKkcqe6P_g

And in the spirit of this episode, a shorter Swimsuit Edition™:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqa0YMA4j3Q

BTW, Kokusho Sayuri was member number 8.

And why do I end up posting about 80's Jpop idol trivia?
Old 2007-05-16, 10:32   Link #214
Willen
Aoba Tsukishima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Considering that the "driving" BGM is still playing while Konata makes the carsickness comment leads me to believe that this scene is still referring to Initial D as Meophist wagered.
Old 2007-05-16, 11:11   Link #215
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Other random wins for the episode:
1) Tsukasa's singing is so cute the pancreas just liquifies....
2) The contrast with Kona playing the "otaku groupie who sings too loudly at the concert" .... <heh>
3) Shell scene is brilliant
4) The conversations in this episode are what the manga is all about .... from that perspective the series has totally hit the mark now.

I've lost count of the people who sleep all thrashy like Kona in anime/manga ... usually its the childish sorts that do it (Yotsuba, etc).

Nanako is quite the kitsune. Yui is okay but she's just not terribly fascinating in the comic either. I wasn't overly thrilled with the "initial D" sequence but <shrug> it was well done (complete with grainy footage). I'm just not as interested in obviously inserted "references".

Quite a fashion episode .... I was thumbing the manga last night noting how many different outfits they wear AND they change their hairstyles at various points (some of Kagami's are quite cute).

Also looking forward to the twin's visiting Konata's house at some point (and hilarity ensued).
Old 2007-05-16, 11:15   Link #216
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Finally watched Episode 6, and once again I was stuck with the [a.f.k.] sub. When [a.f.k.] becomes the most punctual subbing group for a particular anime, you know you've got a problem here. Can we get another group to come in on this, please?

Anyway, my thoughts;

1) Now they're going to be hounding KyoAni to make Initial D Stage 5.

2) About what Konata said to Sensei about her driving....I watched Initial D before, and I'm pretty certain that what Konata said was almost word-for-word what Mogi Natsuki said in Initial D. So yep, definite reference.

3) HOWEVER, I'm also pretty sure the Eurobeat sequence KyoAni used for the Yui-touge sequence is NOT the same as the one which Initial D used. Well actually, the starting of the BGM is similar to that of the first OP song used in Initial D Stage 4: Project D, but then it becomes a different song entirely.

Guess KyoAni hasn't acquired all the rights to it...

4) Oh, and whatever kind of car Yui's was, I'm pretty sure if you try to drift it IRL, it'll flip over. Too high a centre of gravity.

5) Before I forget, when Konata was talking about Sensei's good driving skills, Sensei herself was reading from a magazine that had "Kanagawa" as its title. Kanagawa Prefecture is an area which Project D visits, but is as yet unanimated, and the Kanagawa teams would probably be the first to feature against Project D when Stage 5 comes along.

6) Tsukasa butt-action.

7) 08:12-08:15.

Kagami: "Hey. Does this food really warrant so much praise?"

Why do I get the feeling that, taken in another context, it's exactly the kind of thing that Kaioshin-chan would say?!

8) Miyuki is REEEEEAAAAALLLLY long-winded. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.......

(no, I'm not going to mention Tsukasa's nakie sequ-I just did. )

9) I was feeling VERY uncomfortable when the twins started their "girl talk".

Is KyoAni catering to the ladies, now?

10) "Sukekiyo"? The hell is that?

11) 15:22-16:08.

Ascaloth Normal-mode: Wow, KyoAni really is blowing quite a bit of budget in this episode....

Spoiler for Ascaloth HARUHI-MODE:

Erm.....ahem.

12) Hiiragi-otousan doesn't seem to be too concerned that his daughters are happily perusing photos of his days as a Chippendale dancer. And we thought Izumi-jiji was bad.....

13) Lucky Channel.......poor Shiraishi. Time for a cocky male bastard to come into the picture and match Akira-sama wit for wit. I nominate Tomokazu Sugita.

Oh, and......10 for this one.

Last edited by Ascaloth; 2007-05-16 at 11:34.
Old 2007-05-16, 11:29   Link #217
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post

13) Lucky Channel.......poor Shiraishi. Time for a cocky male bastard to come into the picture and match Akira-sama wit for wit. I nominate Tomokazu Sugita.
Yeah. NO! If he does the only way to save the show is for Akira to stomp him into the ground, in which case Akira will have won me over. Also Kyoto Animation isn't going to do anything with as many male characters as Initial D! Considering the last FMP OVA focused almost entirely on the most cutesy character in the series, I think it's safe to say they are done with men in their shows.
Old 2007-05-16, 11:30   Link #218
ZODDGUTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meophist View Post
Yeah, well, I like Curling. Football isn't one of my favourites anyways. Do you happen to be one of those who goes to/watches Hockey games just for the fights?

Anyways, the Initial D refernce kinda made me wonder, why aren't there more racing anime?
Well there's Wangan Midnight anime coming out next month looking forward to that series.
Old 2007-05-16, 11:39   Link #219
4Tran

Overall, this is a better episode than the previous ones. I think that the fact that it's comedy is less reliant on references/homages to other works is a big part of that. For the first time, the backgrounds are given greater attention, and the framing of the "shots" is much more dynamic. Overall, I think that it's a big improvement over just a bunch of talking heads. Episode 6 also seems to have better cohesiveness and atmosphere than the previous outings. The only real downside is that the Lucky Channel segment still isn't doing much for me.

I can't believe that they put in a Timotei reference - I haven't seen those commercials for over twenty years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samatarou
The adults-driving-them-to-the-beach-in-two-cars-one-of-them-being-a-maniac thing seemed to be lifted wholesale from Azumanga I thought, especially as one of them was their Yukari-like teacher (though at least she wasn't the maniac driver). The scary story scene was also rather like Osaka's lame one at the beach house I thought.
I'm a big Azumanga Daioh fan, but I don't think that there's any lifting involved. Really bad drivers and beach episodes with scary stories have been a staple of comedy anime for quite some time. It's just that the Azumanga Daioh versions are just about the most memorable versions of these.

On the other hand, this episode of Lucky Star has all sorts of Azumanga Daioh vibes (even moreso than usual). Then again, I see that mostly as a good thing.
Old 2007-05-16, 11:43   Link #220
Tatsumiko
*Artist

Hehehehehe....Konata and Tsukasa really are characters that do good XD

Thought they would make an Air reference...^^"..but maybe your right about the relying on other anime's thing...sometimes they gotta make it to a Lucky star original

but I really loved the Timotei reference!!! X3
Closed Thread