AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2016-10-20, 09:54   Link #201
Kamieichi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
(Also, since he's a long time family friend, wouldn't Reina know he's a widower? She was 10 or so when his wife died.)
Maybe her parents never said it to her. They first met when Reina was 12 - 15.
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Here's a fun fact.
Spoiler for Comparison between the novel and the anime:

Last edited by Kamieichi; 2016-10-20 at 19:06. Reason: Restoring original post.
Kamieichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-20, 09:55   Link #202
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

Well, it's nowhere said that she doesn't knows about his late wife, she might have found out between the time gap but what she doesn't knows is if he got in a new relationship thus her fish face.
Kuroageha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-20, 11:30   Link #203
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I didn't expect Taki-sensei to have such a tragic past. It never showed on his face, at least not that I recall.

Asuka's reason for refusing to let Nozomi back into the band makes sense, but there are surely ways to solve the issue. I'm fairly certain she's aware fixing things between these two would improve Mizore's playing (she's way too good at reading people to be oblivious to that), yet she'd rather do nothing and let Mizore keep playing like a robot. In my opinion, she's just avoiding conflicts and taking risks as usual, or simply doesn't care enough to get involved in the drama between Mizore and Nozomi.

In the end, everything rests on Kumiko's shoulders now. Perhaps it's actually better for the mediator to be someone completely uninvolved in last year's drama.
Old 2016-10-20, 11:36   Link #204
Sixth
Hu Tao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I didn't expect Taki-sensei to have such a tragic past. It never showed on his face, at least not that I recall.

Asuka's reason for refusing to let Nozomi back into the band makes sense, but there are surely ways to solve the issue. I'm fairly certain she's aware fixing things between these two would improve Mizore's playing (she's way too good at reading people to be oblivious to that), yet she'd rather do nothing and let Mizore keep playing like a robot. In my opinion, she's just avoiding conflicts and taking risks as usual, or simply doesn't care enough to get involved in the drama between Mizore and Nozomi.

In the end, everything rests on Kumiko's shoulders now. Perhaps it's actually better for the mediator to be someone completely uninvolved in last year's drama.
Well, Asuka had been know as the person who plays safe when it comes to life. She doesn't get too attached with people, and she doesn't like to make a decision or prefer not to take the responsibility despite that she are qualified to do so.

I wonder whether the story going to focus and explore more on her character in the future.

It seems that Kumiko is going around to trigger her flags on those seniors. What is she plotting?
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-20, 13:16   Link #205
HandofFate

I wasn't surprised Taki-sensei had such a past, I was under the impression he was a famous name in S1. And he's here teaching some mid-level school band orchestra. You don't drop from a higher professional field down to a high school teacher without something happening.

Actually expected it to be more scandalous, but I guess Reina is here for that one lol.
Old 2016-10-20, 13:59   Link #206
Ulin

I expected Asuka's reason for not allowing Nozomi back into the club be more... shallow. That's surprinsingly logical although I guess it has its ways of fixing.

I'd really like for Shuiichi to have some screentime, since Reina's comments would make much more sense if they actually had some interactions with each other. I love how they are developing Reina and Yumiko's relationship (and no, I'm not in the Yuri team), but I think that they are leaving the other two apart, with less and less screentime each episode.

And in the end, but no less important... noone is going to comment about the locker room moment? Forget beach episodes when you have a changing Reina on sight
Ulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-20, 14:24   Link #207
Kazu-kun

Reina's hot. Can't blame the staff for wanting to show her off.
Old 2016-10-20, 14:30   Link #208
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:

It's not like they have a lot of time to play around with. They can't afford to have Mizore break down and spend months recovering.

Frankly, I think Asuka should be harsh with Nozomi. Even if she doesn't want to explain why, she should tell her that, if she really wants to help, she should go away and stay away.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-20, 19:21   Link #209
Dharma

There is one thing in all this that bothers me. Why everyone calling the third episode "episode 4"?
Old 2016-10-20, 19:28   Link #210
Sixth
Hu Tao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharma View Post
There is one thing in all this that bothers me. Why everyone calling the third episode "episode 4"?
I guess maybe because episode 1 was twice longer than your average episodes.
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-20, 19:52   Link #211
Takigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.LocK View Post
Hmm, I'm not sure if I agree with CR on Kumiko and Asuka's conversation...
I'm not a fan of the CR translator at all. For starters they keep using the terms 1st place and 2nd place to refer to bands that got Gold or Silver. Gold and Silver don't refer to placements in the All-Japan Band Competition....they refer to degrees of achievement. If you get Gold you're one of the best at the competition...but not necessarily THE best. If you get Silver you're actually somewhere in the middle. Bronze/Copper is the lowest you can get.

They've also made several translation errors for various band and musical terms.
Takigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-20, 22:30   Link #212
novalysis

I believe that if Kumiko somehow manages to solve the situation about Mizore's anemic playing, and Nozomi's insistence of trying to rejoin the band without a Mizore meltdown, but with the reinjection of life into Mizore's performance, her prestige among the leading second years would likely be extremely high. She's basically been making alot of quiet inroads into many of the Second Years, just by being there to listen in this arc. I cannot see how Kumiko is going to pull it off though - in a idealistic show, Nozomi would learn just how hard Mizore took Nozomi's departure, as a sort of betrayal, and Kumiko somehow mediates a reconciliation between Nozomi and Mizore where both of them face their issues together. But I don't think it's going to be that easy in Hibike's world.

That being said, I won't be surprised if things are being set-up, such that the more prominent Second Years who might succeed Asuka and the President in their positions at the end of this school year, might instead choose to recommend someone from the First Year to take the role of President instead. Someone free of the huge amount of baggage between the second years, and someone who has gained the confidence and respect of the leaders among the Second Years. I won't be surprised that Kumiko being the one first year being so tied up with the problems of the Second Year, is a hint that the plot is training Kumiko to eventually lead the band with all the interpersonal dramas it implies.

In other words, it won't surprise me Hibike Euphonium ends with a large group speaking for the Second Years approaching Kumiko and recommending a surprised Kumiko for the position of President to Taki-Sensei; because in their view, the baggage and drama of the second year disqualifies all of the second years from taking the mediating role a President is supposed to have. Naturally, a flustered Kumiko asks her best friend to back her up as Vice President.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-21, 04:25   Link #213
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Episode 3:
Well, it's interesting that Mizore Yoroizuka's strained relationship with Nozomi Kasaki has prompted Asuka Tanaka not to reinstate Nozomi, as she fears that the friction between her and Mizore would cost Kitauji their place at the nationals.

One more thing, it's surprising that Noboru Taki is actually married... Well, he's a widow after losing his wife. Good thing Taki-sensei is currently doing well, but I guess we'll have to keep it a secret to Reina Kousaka.
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-21, 04:47   Link #214
WhenTreesATK

The song Asuka plays is called "Kasanaru kokoro" track 27 of the first season soundtrack. your Welcome.
Old 2016-10-21, 05:00   Link #215
WhenTreesATK

Im not sure if the osts will improve later down the road. But for now, its pretty disappointing considering the first seaon had brilliant osts in the first couple episodes. There hasn't been a guitat ost in 3 (4) episodes :/
Old 2016-10-21, 10:56   Link #216
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

Quote:
Asuka said it herself, she could but doesn't wants to because she would rather spend that time playing music isn't like everyone has time to spend on drama, look at Kumiko's friend who had to leave the band because of her studies on cram school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benigmatica View Post
One more thing, it's surprising that Noboru Taki is actually married... Well, he's a widow after losing his wife. Good thing Taki-sensei is currently doing well, but I guess we'll have to keep it a secret to Reina Kousaka.
Maybe or maybe not and for all we know he could be a sobbing mess when he goes to sleep when he goes to sleep reminding of his wife or maybe he feels dead/empty inside and music is what feels the gap in his heart.
Either way Reina is unaware that she is aspiring to take that role on his life.
Kuroageha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-24, 04:06   Link #217
Marina2

Ep.4 "Awakened Oboe"
Script: Jukki Hanada
Storyboards/Director: Taichi Ogawa
Animation Director: Chiyoko Ueno

I'm expecting good animation and good voice acting from this ep. (especially from Yuri Yamaoka )

Last edited by Marina2; 2016-10-24 at 04:20.
Marina2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-25, 00:57   Link #218
FractalFusion

Hibike! Euphonium is one of my favorite anime. The amount of visual detail is amazing, and it has concert band music in it.

I caught up recently with this second season, and I have to say that there is a bit more drama in it than I had expected. That being said, I like that Kyoani is making the effort to put in some more pieces. Before this season I wasn't exactly sure how they could have done it (just do Crescent Moon Dance again?), but they can always cover other schools' free choice pieces. Speaking of which, do they do the same required piece for the Kansai competition? Or how does it even work? I'm still not sure.

Anyway, I found out a couple of major errors with the sub translations of episode 1. Maybe these errors have been fixed, or other subs have done them correctly.

Error #1: Translating "gold" as "first place" and "silver" as "second place".

Images
Gold doesn't mean first place

While I think that "gold" should never be translated as "first place", this is an especially big error because "gold" does not mean "first place" in the context of the Kyoto Prefectural Concert Band Competition. Gold, silver, and bronze are tiers; many schools end in gold, many in silver, and many in bronze. Only the top three or four advance to Kansai. That ties into the "dud gold" concept where a school achieves gold but does not advance.

As an illustration, the following links give competition results:

(Note: Category A is the only relevant category with respect to this anime, as explained in season 1 episode 6.)

(index) http://www.kyoto-suiren.jp/brasscon/braconindex.htm
(2016 middle school category A) http://www.kyoto-suiren.jp/brasscon/2016/ca.htm
(2016 high school category A) http://www.kyoto-suiren.jp/brasscon/2016/ka.htm

By translating "silver" as "second place", the subs completely misled me to the nature of Minami Middle School and I came away thinking that the members were perfectionists who were completely butthurt over being beaten by another school despite advancing anyway, which also raises like six other questions. No, actually they ended in silver and did not advance, which makes far more sense even though I still think there are plenty of entitlement issues going around.

(By the way, the actual competition specifies only whether a school gets gold or silver or bronze, and whether a school advances, never whether a school gets first place, second place, etc.)

Error #2: "Masami"? "Masumi"? What?

Images
I think her name is supposed to be Nozomi

Not as big as the first one, but this I think is a bit silly. While people often try to find the weirdest names to call each other, this seems merely to be a case of the subbers seeing 希美, getting confused, trying to get the name off the audio, and mishearing it. Which is somewhat of a pity, because it shows that subbers work in uncoordinated teams, don't double-check scripts, and don't do basic research on the very series that they are subbing.
FractalFusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-25, 06:28   Link #219
Marina2

Reality vs anime

ep.1

ep.2

ep.3

Last edited by Marina2; 2016-10-25 at 10:28.
Marina2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-26, 08:07   Link #220
tsubaki-kun
moefan

Some thoughts about 1st ep.

* Nice jazz perf by Monaka https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pYCVer7fQk
* New intriguing heroes — Nozomi & Mizore; Mizore — beloved dandere/kuudere; both with own dramatic line
* New ships — NozoMizo & YukoMizo; but Yuko strangely go to Obon hanabi not with Mizore Oo
* Most talented girls by Taki: Kaori, Asuka, Reina & Sapphire; Kaori's solo loss is twice sad, but Sapphire's level is a bit sudden
* Asuka is unpleasant once again ><
* Very warm & relaxing hanabi scene, focus at Kumiko & Reina hands tangle
* Charming Kumiko's tails
* OP & ED even worse than in S1 ==