AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-10-15, 11:52   Link #201
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I'm not ready to call this a classic, but it has a chance. The fact that it is from an award-winning light novel is promising: it's not as simple as it looks at first glance. Things like the hero's almost-superpowers (cf. Hayate), and Mayu's intense moe and attack mode are interesting. And Reika and her subordinate are both a cut above their types. I could really only bear to watch about three eps of Girls Bravo, but I expect that I'll be able to continue with this show, if it keeps on as it has. And of course I'm very happy that Kadowaki Mai is doing so well as Mayu.

I can't help thinking of Chinese stories from the Tang Dynasty and from Liaozhai Zhiyi (translated as "Strange Tales from a Chinese Studio," I think) about beautiful ghosts who love human men but usually -- not always -- can't help debilitating them when they make love with them. Combining this with the western concept of a succubus is a neat idea.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2007-10-15, 13:34   Link #202
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

aye.... interesting. I also really couldn't *stand* Girls Bravo (manga or anime). I must have lost 30 IQ points just being near it.

I'm not getting that feel from this (though it is pretty simple and has goofy threads) and I agree with Kaoru that there's a lot of possibility here coupled with the interesting combination of concepts.
Old 2007-10-15, 14:08   Link #203
Dr1ft3r
Suspended In Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
aye.... interesting. I also really couldn't *stand* Girls Bravo (manga or anime). I must have lost 30 IQ points just being near it.
nice

hmm maybe shungo is an incubus????
Old 2007-10-15, 15:13   Link #204
Thingle
Banned

That armlock Shungo put on Reika must've hurt so bad she passed out...
Old 2007-10-15, 15:23   Link #205
Dr1ft3r
Suspended In Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by InternalBrain View Post
That armlock Shungo put on Reika must've hurt so bad she passed out...
lol Shungo cracked that neck
Old 2007-10-15, 15:24   Link #206
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

For a moment I was worried she could've died, lol.
Old 2007-10-15, 15:24   Link #207
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Seems like characters in this series are dangerous unconscious. Maya is bad for Shungo's health and sleep patterns. Shungo could be dangerous to anyone (including Reika) that approaches him.

I'm sure there has to be a reason he is mostly immune rather than just personality. Probably related to his past than being not human.
Old 2007-10-15, 15:39   Link #208
Thingle
Banned

Ouch.
Old 2007-10-15, 15:57   Link #209
Zilveari
Retired(?) Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to Zilveari
I'll put my .02 in on this series...

It is just so WRONG in so many ways LOL... but I know I won't be able to stay away from it, because it looks like it has the chance to be one of the funniest goofy shows of the season.

P.S. One irk... why the hell did they call HIM a succubus in the first ep? Is that a bad translation? Or did the storyboard for the production company do that? wouldn't he be an incubus?
Old 2007-10-15, 15:59   Link #210
Thingle
Banned

the "Mayu rolls" portion is a blatant attempt at fanservice. It isn't supposed to be a "serious" series anyway.
Old 2007-10-15, 16:03   Link #211
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilveari View Post
P.S. One irk... why the hell did they call HIM a succubus in the first ep? Is that a bad translation? Or did the storyboard for the production company do that? wouldn't he be an incubus?
It was that way in the original Japanese dialog (i.e. not just in the translation). Someone suggested before that this was probably just to keep things simple for the Japanese viewers (who may not be used to terms like "succubus" and "incubus"), and I think that makes sense. But, yes -- incubus is the correct term for him.
Old 2007-10-15, 16:26   Link #212
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilveari View Post
wouldn't he be an incubus?
You know what the words mean? Maybe he just prefers the girl being on top.
Old 2007-10-15, 18:43   Link #213
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
I'm sure there has to be a reason he is mostly immune rather than just personality. Probably related to his past than being not human.
Maybe he's just gay.

Oh, how amazing Mayu's power of sexual attraction are to make a haado gay go straight!

(Joking)
Old 2007-10-15, 18:43   Link #214
Ashlotte
Clockwork

I just figured it was a typical goof of the production crew not knowing that succubus refers specifically to the female variety. *shrug*

And yea when I first heard that crack I was afraid he'd broke her neck or something there for a second.

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Old 2007-10-15, 18:45   Link #215
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

Only Sokou no Strain would've beat this anime for earliest character death.
Old 2007-10-15, 22:15   Link #216
mukansa monkey
Pink bug make Amu angry!

I would like to begin by saying... this show is RIOTOUS!
Quick disclaimer: This isn't my "intelligent" show for the season. Hopefully it isn't anyone's intelligent show. No IQ-raising moments here, folks.
That said, what an amazing parody this is! This show takes potshots at most of the anime cliches in existence. The only genres I haven't really seen mocked yet are mecha and giant robo, and I'm sure they'll get snuck in sometime. I find it odd that in the last 40 or so posts, nobody else has used the word "parody"... ultimately that's what this is all about. Take dumb cliches to their logical extreme, just because it's SILLY. Just off the top of my head:
Girls hanging all over the cute guy? Nah, let's have them sexually harass him!
Getting hit on the head with a washbasin? Not dangerous enough, let's unload a truckload of heavy objects of the poor bastard!
Guys becoming halfway mindless at the sight of a pretty girl with hyuuuuge... tracts of land? Why go halfway, when you can go all the way, and it's HORNY ZOMBIE BOYS time! (That scene just floored me, the shift in BGM and the camera angles were priceless)
Big sisters who are tough? This one chats on her cell in the middle of urban warfare!
Yanno when two girls who want the same guy first meet, the nice one inevitably disses the other one? Why make a flippant comment, when you can sing a song about what a loser the other girl is?
When two girls have some artificial contest in order to win a guy, it's usually something irrelevant that's ultimately won by a fanservice moment. So let's cut out the pointless crap, and go straight to the cleavage contest!

I could go on, but the point is: Most everything that happens in this show is making fun of other shows. If something in it doesn't make sense the first time around, go back and try to figure out what cliche they're making fun of. The best part of all is that the main guy isn't any kind of dumb cliche male lead, he seems to be just a regular guy who happens to be a bit above average in the morals/decency dept. Trying to swim through a surreal world packed with all manner of absurdity. A normal guy as the main char... that alone would separate this show from most others, especially comedies.

My only real complaint about this show is that I can't stand the way they draw eyes, particularly the female ones. They're called eyeballs because they're round, not some weird inverted geometric distortion. I detest this style in manga, here I'm having to avoid the issue by not looking at the girls' eyes whenever possible. Of course, most of the time there's so much else to look at...
Old 2007-10-15, 23:13   Link #217
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

yeah, its rather like Tokimeki/Nagasarete and bits of a dozen other lunacies in that respect... just laid on top of an odd little romance between two (three) very odd characters.
Old 2007-10-15, 23:39   Link #218
toxic_trance
~Anpan~
*Artist

Hmm..2 episodes down and this really doesnt impress me. The only reason I am watching this is because Mayu-chan is cute. The guy is a real let down. THe show seems very slow paced and the voice acting is somewhat boring and monotonous. The characters are pretty annoying. The elder sister who seems to be a lesb and Mayu's brothers are really irritating. Comedy is not really gr8..and it seems they are filling this with ecchi since they did not know what else to put in every episode.

Anyway..will watch it for 2 to 3 more episodes and decide its future
Old 2007-10-16, 00:53   Link #219
digiboy123
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to digiboy123
I say it's pretty good so far. Kinda perverted but still funny. Can't wait for ep 3.
Old 2007-10-16, 02:01   Link #220
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

ep 2.... okay, lame comedy sketch had to turn brain off for whole episode.

It had a few minutes though. The drooling zombies are getting old but having the Harassing Club girls gang up on our hero was a tactical novelty. Actually, I suddenly got a brief hint during Reika's little song that our sad little tsundere may not be automatically losing the game. She had a nice -dere moment til Baka-brains did his in-my-sleep chiropractor move on her (yeah, it looked like he snapped her neck..... very odd).

Already coming to loathe incubus brother and big'sis .... they're like some infernal Team Rocket. At least she's come out of the closet, but they're already plot annoyances and now she's a double annoyance.

Ah well.... keep brains turned off, lame vaudeville sex farce fun. I guess just keep the moe-enhance and tsundere going and minimize the rest. At least the "rich bitch" facet got shut down a bit by the "be a maid" factor.

... seriously unjustifiable guilty pleasure.

Tags
aic spirits, comedy, ecchi, fantasy, harem, kadokawa, romance, shounen