Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-04-04, 15:36   Link #201
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagura89 View Post
Nice white paper you have there. Frankly everything is fine by me, its just the stripes and stars armor is so: OMG you didn't just do that. I feel like pocking whoever came to that idea to death though the internet, its so annoying. This is like tacking a reasonably good idea and putting it though the cheese grinder just for the sake of little kids being able to swallow it better.
Old 2010-04-04, 16:34   Link #202
OkamiNoKaze

This show is pretty good, glad I wasn't the only one to pick up or at least comment about the similarities with Spider-Man, he missed one, the Psy/ Harry Osbourne connection, best friend with funky hair. I did like Stan's cameo. I would have thought the stars and stripes motif would be something added to Heroman later on, that kind of surprised me. To tie into the marvel line of things, this could be a What If? issue. "What If Peter Parker had created Gigantor?"
Old 2010-04-04, 17:08   Link #203
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Ok finally watch episode 1 :

Cliche episode . Mecha anime US version ^^ That's remind me Transformers movie etc....
Lol for Heroman with the stars and all and the enemies => grasshoppers mecha XD

Well , at least this show got good animation .
For the BGM , i could hear "I'm a Hero , I'm a hero , i'm a hero..." ^^

Good Joey's trap pics there
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-04, 17:40   Link #204
Nosauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperMalum View Post
Concur. Here's to hoping Stan Lee's character is half as random/awesome as Mayor Adam West.
stan lee is just a cameo, at least thats what I presume considering he generally takes on cameo roles in all the works he is involved in.

also those people comparing heroman to ttgl, eureka 7, and other great works are going to be in for a surprise, because the writing isn't really gonna get much better.

Also what happened to the guy who crashed into the big rig, or the big rig driver, guess just some fillers dieing, but wouldn't this be one of those earth shattering moments for the hero to have someone their trying to save die.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-04, 17:41   Link #205
Paranoia833
Mystery buff

I thought it was quite charming. I mean yeah, it's not been anything revolutionary so far, it's a paint-by-numbers Stan Lee superhero comic with a giant robot instead of super-powers, but that's not a bad thing and it seems pretty polished compared to the manga version.

It would certainly be nice if they started to play around with it a bit and did something unexpected with the plot as the series went on, but I'm perfectly content with the way its been presented so far. Maybe I'm just nostalgic.
Paranoia833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-04, 17:53   Link #206
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raa View Post
Whatever happened to Bones?
I sooooooo don't want another generic giant robot anime, especially not from Bones.
that why i'm so interested with this show
since when cliche factor became this fun ?
i'm very enjoying this new experience
Old 2010-04-04, 21:54   Link #207
Necromas

I like the overtropey cliche factor, the character designs and animation is awesome, and you can definitely detect the western/Stan Lee touch.
Necromas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-04, 23:55   Link #208
NinjaYali
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperMalum View Post
This anime, from just the opening video alone, screams FLCL, Gurren Lagann, Eureka 7, Needless all combined into one single package.

Or is it just me?
Gurren Lagann?

Not enough Kamina-style inspirational speaking.

And Joey reminds me of someone like Yukimura from Samurai Deeper Kyo. Only, he has a robot to go around kicking ass for him and he doesn't do it himself. Not sure about academia in comparison to Peter Parker so at the moment we'll call him average high school student. But he's not completely that average seeing how he was able to repair the robot all by himself.

So in short, to me it's like Spiderman with sprinkle of good old fashioned effeminate male character+Digimon (robot fighting on male partner's behalf)

Quote:
he missed one, the Psy/ Harry Osbourne connection, best friend with funky hair. I did like Stan's cameo
What? Badass Crippled Token Black Guy is going to turn into Joey's enemy when he kills his father? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Quote:
Concur. Here's to hoping Stan Lee's character is half as random/awesome as Mayor Adam West.
Don't think he'll do much outside of cameo.

Quote:
Also what happened to the guy who crashed into the big rig, or the big rig driver, guess just some fillers dieing, but wouldn't this be one of those earth shattering moments for the hero to have someone their trying to save die.
Our hero here is selfish Hero. He just wanted to save his cheerleader girlfriend who realistically should have been dead or severely injured upon impact.

Quote:
And I find it hilarious that some of you lambasted the show just because it has an American setting
Could it be that the first episode had too much American flags? Counter about 40 at least.

They might as well put a counter in for next episode everytime they show the flag.
NinjaYali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-05, 02:17   Link #209
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoia833 View Post
I thought it was quite charming. I mean yeah, it's not been anything revolutionary so far, it's a paint-by-numbers Stan Lee superhero comic with a giant robot instead of super-powers, but that's not a bad thing and it seems pretty polished compared to the manga version.

It would certainly be nice if they started to play around with it a bit and did something unexpected with the plot as the series went on, but I'm perfectly content with the way its been presented so far. Maybe I'm just nostalgic.
God, I agree 100%. All the unnecessary drama over what is obviously supposed to be a bit of a throwback of a show just comes across as overdramatic to me. And yes, I'm referring to this thread.

Also, I don't understand why people put BONES in some kind of a Madhouse-level of artistry, because BONES does a lot of cliche stuff. Ever watch Soul Eater or Darker than Black or even Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood? I don't get why they don't get judged in a similar manner, because while those shows are amazing, they still play around a lot with anime tropes. Even shows like Eureka 7 and Xam'd, while nearly breaking from the mold, aren't exactly trope free either. Well, especially in the final episodes of those series.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-05, 02:43   Link #210
aardvark

Theres nothing wrong with tropes when they are done well, and I think Bones typically does them better than the vast majority of other studios. Though their output in the past several years doesnt match what they did in 2000-2006. Then again, all studios in general have tremendously lessened in quality in the past several years.

For what its worth, Wolf's Rain, Rahxephon and Eureka Seven are my three favorite shows of the last decade. So even though they disappointed me several times over the past few years, I will still hold them in higher esteem since, despite even those shows they've made recently have disappointed me, they overall still for the most part hold on to their core values as a studio. For example you will never see them do a show like Kamen no Maid Guy, and if they ever do sink that low...well that will be the day I will hold them in lower esteem.

For the most part, Heroman looks like a show that will end up similar to Mars Daybreak. Its bright, well intentioned and pretty positive.
aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-05, 03:02   Link #211
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Heh, yeah. Madhouse can either go from the trashiest of anime producers to one of the classiest in a single season. Madhouse is literally all over the place. But for the highest of artistic projects, I honestly can't name one studio that does it at a more consistent pace.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-05, 03:05   Link #212
aardvark

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
Heh, yeah. Madhouse can either go from the trashiest of anime producers to one of the classiest in a single season. Madhouse is literally all over the place. But for the highest of artistic projects, I honestly can't name one studio that does it at a more consistent pace.
In terms of theatrical features, I definitely wouldn't disagree at all.
aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-05, 08:02   Link #213
Nosauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
Theres nothing wrong with tropes when they are done well, and I think Bones typically does them better than the vast majority of other studios. Though their output in the past several years doesnt match what they did in 2000-2006. Then again, all studios in general have tremendously lessened in quality in the past several years.

For what its worth, Wolf's Rain, Rahxephon and Eureka Seven are my three favorite shows of the last decade. So even though they disappointed me several times over the past few years, I will still hold them in higher esteem since, despite even those shows they've made recently have disappointed me, they overall still for the most part hold on to their core values as a studio. For example you will never see them do a show like Kamen no Maid Guy, and if they ever do sink that low...well that will be the day I will hold them in lower esteem.

For the most part, Heroman looks like a show that will end up similar to Mars Daybreak. Its bright, well intentioned and pretty positive.
Hey now, Kamen no Maid Guy was fucking awesome, like pure comedic gold. Still for the most parts bones hasn't done anything terrible as a studio save heroman. DtB was not as trope ridden as you play it to be at least when we are talking season 1, FMA brotherhood, is pretty much a 1:1 with the manga as that's what the fans wanted, and Soul Eater I will have to admit at least with their own material was quite formulaic, but still Most of their work just isn't so cheesy as heroman is.
Old 2010-04-05, 12:53   Link #214
K3cT
Arcadia of My Youth

Send a message via MSN to K3cT
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaYali View Post
Could it be that the first episode had too much American flags? Counter about 40 at least.

They might as well put a counter in for next episode everytime they show the flag.
That's just the way it is in good ol' United States. The staff obviously had done their homework.
K3cT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-05, 13:51   Link #215
Nosauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by K3cT View Post
That's just the way it is in good ol' United States. The staff obviously had done their homework.
lol where's the /s? if that's what you think the "real america" is then you've seen way too much propaganda.
Old 2010-04-05, 14:21   Link #216
musume_no_hoshi
~*Eternal Bakaness*~

What do you mean Joey isn't a trap?...

ANYWAY.

It was generic but enjoyable. Like some people said, the production value out weighs the generic-ness of it for now (the potential of it being the next Guren Lagann just caught my eye). The characters do feel somewhat Japanese, how common are sis-cons in America?

The only thing that annoyed me was the other people in the car crash wasn't saved...
Old 2010-04-05, 15:00   Link #217
Nosauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by musume_no_hoshi View Post
What do you mean Joey isn't a trap?...

ANYWAY.

It was generic but enjoyable. Like some people said, the production value out weighs the generic-ness of it for now (the potential of it being the next Guren Lagann just caught my eye). The characters do feel somewhat Japanese, how common are sis-cons in America?

The only thing that annoyed me was the other people in the car crash wasn't saved...
if you replaced all the characters in ttgl with the generic crap we were given in heroman, that show would have been a COMPLETE trainwreck. No matter how awesome the animation is, it really can't save bad writing.
Old 2010-04-05, 15:22   Link #218
musume_no_hoshi
~*Eternal Bakaness*~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz
how awesome the animation is, it really can't save bad writing.
That is definitely true. But I don't feel Heroman had terrible writing, sure it could be improved. Having some nice eye candy does make me want to give another chance to prove itself. It's just the first episode. I didn't like Guren Lagann till that episode...so yea...
Old 2010-04-05, 15:44   Link #219
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
if you replaced all the characters in ttgl with the generic crap we were given in heroman, that show would have been a COMPLETE trainwreck. No matter how awesome the animation is, it really can't save bad writing.
nah... i don't think so... the episode 1 just to give a premise to audience about cliche, cheesy, can be fun too in this show. the story can build up later (hecks if TTGL have a "story" for first 4-6 episode )

But at least, yay finally we have mecha show this season!

Last edited by fertygo; 2010-04-05 at 16:06.
fertygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-05, 16:17   Link #220
Anacone
Lazy Poster

Send a message via MSN to Anacone
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaYali View Post

Good Anime for drinking game
Anacone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bones, mecha