Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2010-01-14, 08:40   Link #201
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Right now I'm thinking Gears of War which my friend lent to me because I thought it would be a blast to play after hearing everybody tell me how amazing it was even to this day. What I found was to me a mediocore shooter. I'm about 3 quarters of the way through the game at this point and where most games would have me getting into things by about the quarter mark I can safely say I'm still not feeling this one at all. The reasons are actually pretty plentiful too:
The only good thing about that game is the Co-op, which you missed.
Old 2010-01-14, 08:40   Link #202
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:

Overall the game has just boring and uninspiring as I head into the last chapter or so and the commercial spot for it might even be the most interesting aspect of the entire franchise. Boy did that commercial fool me good and make it seem like there might actually be something to this whole storyline.
Considering it was the reason I bought a 2nd Next Gen console. I have to say no I don't think it's overrated. Yeah the single player is pretty bland, but for that you needed to play Gears 2.

Gears 1 of did it for me as broken as it was the multiplayer was awesome. Sure I admit with all the glitches, lag, host advantages, it was still the most fun online game I've played in a long time. I was used to playing twitch shooters on pc, this was the first game alright a real console online game. The shotty dancing, the sniping, wallbouncing. Though you had to play it when the game was still alive, same with Gears 2 the community is dead.

Gears 2 featured a really good single player. Still with both games it's meant to be played co op. Online Gears 2 they made some shitty nerfs to make it more "tactical", but that meant they removed everything that was fun in the first. They did make online more stable though. They didn't nerf much in the begin. Still it was fun, for months. All my friends moved on though playing other games, so the game is dead to me now.

Still if you can make a private match game with people in the same country it still is the best online franchise this gen. Not to mention it has splitscreen online, words can't discribe how much better this makes the game, pretty much the same reason why Halo3 still reigns over XBL even to this day.
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-14, 15:14   Link #203
Cub-Sama
Member of DOLLARS
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2H-Dragon View Post
Not to mention it has splitscreen online, words can't discribe how much better this makes the game, pretty much the same reason why Halo3 still reigns over XBL even to this day.
I swear Modern Warfare 2 reigns over Live, the amount of people on this is astounding, like over 12000 people for every different game type. Btw there is like what 12 game types.

Also I played Gears 2 Multiplayer back when Host and lag wasnt as bad as it is now, the smoke was still useful and I could get kills and it was one of the best online shooters on consoles.

We are DOLLARS, credit for sig goes to CMHerrera-chan
Cub-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-14, 21:47   Link #204
Mauru

Tales of Symphonia is so overated.
Mauru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-14, 22:16   Link #205
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cub-Sama View Post
I swear Modern Warfare 2 reigns over Live, the amount of people on this is astounding, like over 12000 people for every different game type. Btw there is like what 12 game types.

Also I played Gears 2 Multiplayer back when Host and lag wasnt as bad as it is now, the smoke was still useful and I could get kills and it was one of the best online shooters on consoles.
Yeah, but I was thinking about 2009 as a whole. D: Can't talk about now since there are no numbers released afaik.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauru View Post
Have to agree considering the tales of games that come out on the PS2, but symphonia is supposedly better.
Old 2010-01-15, 14:51   Link #206
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauru View Post
I agree, but I would like a rationale attached to this claim.
Old 2010-01-16, 13:19   Link #207
ShapetheSky

Quote:
Yeah, but I was thinking about 2009 as a whole. D: Can't talk about now since there are no numbers released afaik.

Have to agree considering the tales of games that come out on the PS2, but symphonia is supposedly better.
Um...but Symphonia DID come out on the PS2 too? @_@ (i don't get the meaning; and yeah, it's a port...ah well)
ShapetheSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-16, 22:57   Link #208
Statonxyb
hrm

I personally don't find Tales of Symphonia overrated, it just took me a bit to get used to not being able to freely run around in combat (I started with Vesperia, then Abyss, then Symphonia).
Old 2010-01-17, 20:06   Link #209
paladinenvec

Well i have played many games of the tales franchise and (phantasia, abyss,vesperia,etc) and i liked Symphonia more than any other tales game.
paladinenvec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-21, 07:18   Link #210
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapetheSky View Post
Um...but Symphonia DID come out on the PS2 too? @_@ (i don't get the meaning; and yeah, it's a port...ah well)
Yeah it seems you are right, but the game got it's fame from the GC version and I think most of the people played that one. In that time I wasn't really impressed since it was just another tales of. Not that it means it's bad, but just not as good as people make it out to be. People just seem to ignore all of the other Tales of games.
Old 2010-01-21, 22:19   Link #211
mokoufanatic
the immortal fire

truth be told tales of symphonia dawn of the world was a major let down
Old 2010-01-21, 23:54   Link #212
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo562 View Post
call of duty modern warfare 2 single and multiplayer. I just don't like that game. Everyone else seems to thinks its great.

Although i did enjoy the first call of duty modern warfare single player.
Same here, although only on the single player portions, because I didn't play the multi player at all.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-22, 10:21   Link #213
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
Quote:
Right now I'm thinking Gears of War which my friend lent to me because I thought it would be a blast to play after hearing everybody tell me how amazing it was even to this day. What I found was to me a mediocore shooter. I'm about 3 quarters of the way through the game at this point and where most games would have me getting into things by about the quarter mark I can safely say I'm still not feeling this one at all.
I felt the same way about Killzone 2. In fact, even after I finished the campaign It felt like I totally wasted my 30 bucks. But once I started the online multiplayer mode..holy mother.
Old 2010-01-22, 21:26   Link #214
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Yeah it seems you are right, but the game got it's fame from the GC version and I think most of the people played that one. In that time I wasn't really impressed since it was just another tales of. Not that it means it's bad, but just not as good as people make it out to be. People just seem to ignore all of the other Tales of games.
It came out on an rpg starved system so it was more a case of right place, right time than it being as good as it was made out to be. Still a very good rpg though.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-23, 18:39   Link #215
ShapetheSky

Quote:
Well, I kinda can understand that...although I've played more than half of the Tales games (Eternia, Destiny, Destiny Directors Cut, Legendia, Symphonia, Abyss, Phantasia, Tempest, Innocence, Hearts, and Destiny II), they have one thing in common...they all give me that "just another..."-feeling, it's as if something is lacking. They're nice entertainment, but that's it, kinda.
ShapetheSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-27, 22:29   Link #216
KENTA

Overrated? Hmm...let's go with the classics. Fallout Series, Diablo Series, Star/Warcraft series, Halo Series, Final Fantasy 6/7/12, Dragon Quest 3, Just about every shooter ever, Elder Scrolls series. I think that's about it....Oh, God of War series, and Ocarina of Time as well. Good games, but not "Absolute masterpiece classics!"
KENTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-09, 03:04   Link #217
Socke
Banned

I knew I will be beaten to death by mentioning it but I think Street Fighters games are overrated, especially by Western gamers.

How can SF games overrated? Not really I just hate to see Western critics panned every single 2D fighting games that are not SF and the unfortunate victims are usually King of Fighters and Guilty Gears.

Okay, its true that those games are indeed inferior than SF but they also have qualities which SF lacked like KoF had more characters which are more varied than those in SF. GG is darker and more stylish. But because of the critics' love to SF games, they cannot see these qualities.

Surprisingly BlazBlue(am I spelled right?), which made by the same people and company that made GG series get quite good reviews but Western critics even though get tough competition from SF4. Maybe because we live in different are as most bashing to 2D games that aren't SF only happen in PS2/XBOX era which is already passed.
Socke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-09, 05:50   Link #218
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

Shin Megami Tensei is exxegerated a tad. Good video game series that started off as a spinoff, though i'm surprised for a date/social commu hasn't been made yet for 'Hanami'. I don't know, it would've been good. Also, to stay ontopic, most people look down on turn-base, but some go out of their way to 'advocate' it.

Another overrated game is Borderlands. The choice of four characters is a different take imo, since I've been around that time beating DA:O or fantasizing about ME2. People say multiplayer is the best thing, but I never played it. It's basically a game that, if you don't have fast internet connection, you only get half the game.

The same goes for Turok, original but still overrated.

A list of other games

1. Halo 3/ODST
2. Dragonball games (Don't listen to the tweens )
3. Star Ocean (The remake of the first saved me, basically. Till the end of time and the last hope almost killed my fandom. Albel and Arumat being the only two characters I could consider badass, Fayt and Faize being the most troubled angsty type...)
4. Disgaea (Urghh.... The strategy part, ok. The plot, awesome.... the fans drooling and throwing a fit because someone did a 9.0 and not a 10.0? Yeah... Fanatics ruin games, too. It also ruined my overall experience of the game.)
5. Tales of Legendia (...Half of the game was unvocied and basically half-done. I don't get it. Moses was a great comic relief, though. So was Bubbles-chan <3)
6. Shadow of Destiny (No, just no!)
7. Bioware games (They tend to be infested with bugs and glitches. Scoring high makes them think what they are doing is OK, in my perspective atleast. Work a month longer so it would be afunner experience and won't scare others away because of the bugs. Cicadas aren't very liked, y'know.)

Not necessary in that order. x3 rawr!
Arbitres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-09, 06:03   Link #219
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbitres View Post
6. Shadow of Destiny (No, just no!)
While, I don't agree with a lot of your picks, but that's fine I can understand your reasoning. This one just seems odd to me, it wasn't well received by either gamers or reviewers. So how is it overrated?
Old 2010-03-09, 09:51   Link #220
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

Most of my picks are overrated because of the maddening fanservice. While I don't have a problem with any of them, excluding Halo and SoD.

Touching on SoD, around here. People consider it a 'very good game'. I played/rented it via gamefly, and found it appalling. I died more then I cared, because, I simply didn't care. It was the first game ina long time I couldn't finish. Around here, people don't know what is good or isn't.

Most of my choices is also on personal bias. I love Shin Megami Tensei. The mythological presence is simply astounding, but... They left out a good deal of japanese culture, even though itself being a jrpg. Excuse me, but the best thing was the 'uncensored' honorifics. Which was a plus, but.... I liked persona 4 more then three. 'Scuse me for not staying on topic, but... While there is only one Aigis, there is also one Naoto Shirogane. In a manner of speaking. FES was an improvement, and provided me with a further challenge. SMT is noteworthy, but outside certain circumstances, the game plays as is. Then again, maybe I should remove that from the list.

Along with bioware. I just simply find bugs/glinches/things that halt my progress tiresome and troublesome. No getting around it. Still... High-spec graphics, and good story-telling. Still... Bugs/Glinches? I guess all games have them, but bioware tends to have them more often then not.

Though my perspective all others remain unchanged. SMT and Bioware games (Including the xbox games, an example: Knights of the old republic.) are good, and the good seriously outweighs the bad.

Yeah, i'll probably replace them with something else, or just delete em'. Still, thanks I guess 2h ;3
Arbitres is offline   Reply With Quote