AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-07-16, 16:54   Link #221
Zell_ff8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
As someone who has not read the novels, mind telling me what those obvious reasons are? We can take this to PM if it violates the rules.
See wikipedia article to get an idea of what happens (hint: Shinozaki Ayaka).

Again, the volume I least liked was vol2, don't know why the hell both manga and anime chose it to start with >.< At this pace, it would take 3 eps to cover Meo' case.

And seriously, every time I hear Ogura Yui the less I like her. Her tone is seriously damaging Alice' personality. That is not the Alice I know. Plus Ogura' voice acting sound so unnatural.

---------

I liked the development of the chapter, despite I don't liking the story itself.
Two things I don't liked quite well was the first part, with Masaya calling Meo amid a kind of persecution (it doesn't match timelines with the novel); and when Narumi talls Meo her father left her, the awkward reaction of Ayaka. Why? Because Ayaka
Spoiler:

Also regarding Ayaka and Meo,
Spoiler for :
Zell_ff8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-16, 17:45   Link #222
ion475
にこにこにー

Quote:
And seriously, every time I hear Ogura Yui the less I like her. Her tone is seriously damaging Alice' personality. That is not the Alice I know. Plus Ogura' voice acting sound so unnatural.
She's doing fine with her vote as Hinata (in Ro-Kyu-Bu!), but she should just stick at that...everyone has to start somewhere, though...

As far as story goes - I am stuck at Vol. 1, so no comment on this case. Of course, knowing that if SHAFT is the one animating this instead of JC Staff, they may as well stick with Vol. 1...
ion475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-16, 18:16   Link #223
Megrim27

This show isn't bad, but I never could stand the male protagonists zero self-esteem type character. Kyon was mentioned previously as a comparison, and I think he is a better foil than Narumi, because at least he has a voice. Narumi is less a foil, and more of a doormat, for all the characters. I can understand him wanting to be part of something bigger, but that hardly means being everyone's lapdog. Hopefully he'll grow more of a backbone as the series progresses.
Megrim27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-16, 18:24   Link #224
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

D'oh- what happened to "Colorado Bulldog"?
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-16, 18:26   Link #225
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megrim27 View Post
This show isn't bad, but I never could stand the male protagonists zero self-esteem type character. Kyon was mentioned previously as a comparison, and I think he is a better foil than Narumi, because at least he has a voice. Narumi is less a foil, and more of a doormat, for all the characters. I can understand him wanting to be part of something bigger, but that hardly means being everyone's lapdog. Hopefully he'll grow more of a backbone as the series progresses.
A foil is a character meant to contrast with another in every way. Kyon's sharp (mental) tongue doesn't exactly contrast with Alice's sharp tongue.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-16, 18:37   Link #226
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Regardless, to say that Narumi is the new Kujo won't be too far fetched, for most parts he seem to be dragging himself around- But I can't blame him since dealing with organized crime and family issues can get abit hairy.

Funny thing is, unlike the normal Holmes/Watson partnership- Narumi doesn't bring anything new to the team, unless you count his 'leet' God-Hand at reformatting computers. Alice already has minions to do her every bidding, so why does she need Narumi? Hell, he can't even save her from taking a bath!
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-16, 18:56   Link #227
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Kyon? Kujo? The one Narumi reminds me of is Mikado-kun from Durarara!. But where Narumi is a lamb among the wolves, Mikado was a wolf in sheep's clothing. That little edge was always there just under the surface, and Narumi hasn't shown anything yet that makes him as distinctive.
Old 2011-07-16, 19:02   Link #228
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Kyon? Kujo? The one Narumi reminds me of is Mikado-kun from Durarara!. But where Narumi is a lamb among the wolves, Mikado was a wolf in sheep's clothing. That little edge was always there just under the surface, and Narumi hasn't shown anything yet that makes him as distinctive.

The thing is, neither Mikado nor Kyon is in a 'partnership' kind of relationship, so that's why I used Kujou as a reference.

Of course, I could get this all wrong but the ED is hinting towards that kind of relationship between him and Alice- the Holmes/Watson type.
Old 2011-07-16, 20:56   Link #229
Shadow5YA

I really don't think Narumi is supposed to be distinctive. I see him as the wandering lost soul who is trying to find where he belongs. He's a passive character who lets whatever happens in life run its course. Part of that may be because he had to transfer schools so often that he never became attached to anything until he settled where he is now.

Narumi's character is meant to contrast with Alice's. On one hand, we have a guy who had to move and transfer all the time, but he has little interest in anything or anyone. On the other, we have a girl who rarely sets foot outside of her own bedroom, but she is certain about what she wants to do and easily takes notice of other people.
Old 2011-07-16, 22:32   Link #230
Utsuro no Hako

Can anyone explain the ending for me? I can't figure out what Alice means by taking "your mother in heaven" more literally or what it has to do with the cell phone.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2011-07-17 at 22:44. Reason: The spoiler tag for current episode content isn't needed
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-16, 22:39   Link #231
Shadow5YA

Arguably everyone in the NEET Detective Agency is useless to a certain extent. Tetsu is a gambler and high-school dropout, the Major is essentially a military otaku and college dropout, and Hiro is a womanizer and a moocher. If Alice didn't lead them and put their connections to good use, they probably wouldn't amount to anything. Narumi is similar to them.

Perhaps it is Narumi's similarity with the other NEETs that made him gravitate towards Alice like the rest.
Old 2011-07-17, 00:56   Link #232
Alteriya
Realization Dawning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
Can anyone explain the ending for me? I can't figure out what Alice means by taking "your mother in heaven" more literally or what it has to do with the cell phone.
Ok so maybe I have this completely wrong, but...

Guess #1: Ok, so I took all the information that I gathered and started from the end. I believe those cameras at the end that showed the 3 guys kicking over trash cans were right outside the apartment, possibly looking for the bag. The bag encased the cellphone, which was had a tracking device in it (this is what I'm not sure about). So, what he meant about her mother in heaven being with her, is that Meo is going to die too...

Guess #2: Meo said she called her father once more from a payphone, but I have a feeling that she didn't use a payphone, and found the cellphone in the bag and called her dad. This in turn, caused the yakuza to track and find her. "Your mother in heaven is with you" is essentially her father saying that the cellphone was in the bag, since there was a photo of the family as the cellphone wallpaper. Then she says that "Meo knew the answer by instinct" and she knew that what her father meant by that phrase was that the cellphone was in the bag. This guess is reinforced by Meo saying that she could have her mother's cellphone when she was older.

Is what I got from it... but I feel like I might be completely wrong, please correct me (by just saying yes or no) coz I want to truly see what happens if I am wrong in the next episode :P

I think my 2nd guess is correct though, first one seems a bit too... evil XD

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2011-07-17 at 22:45. Reason: No need for spoilers when guessing
Alteriya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-17, 01:24   Link #233
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
I really don't think Narumi is supposed to be distinctive. I see him as the wandering lost soul who is trying to find where he belongs. He's a passive character who lets whatever happens in life run its course. Part of that may be because he had to transfer schools so often that he never became attached to anything until he settled where he is now.

Narumi's character is meant to contrast with Alice's. On one hand, we have a guy who had to move and transfer all the time, but he has little interest in anything or anyone. On the other, we have a girl who rarely sets foot outside of her own bedroom, but she is certain about what she wants to do and easily takes notice of other people.

Maybe, but as a main character he cannot remain passive for long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alteriya View Post
Ok so maybe I have this completely wrong, but...

Guess #1: Ok, so I took all the information that I gathered and started from the end. I believe those cameras at the end that showed the 3 guys kicking over trash cans were right outside the apartment, possibly looking for the bag. The bag encased the cellphone, which was had a tracking device in it (this is what I'm not sure about). So, what he meant about her mother in heaven being with her, is that Meo is going to die too...

Guess #2: Meo said she called her father once more from a payphone, but I have a feeling that she didn't use a payphone, and found the cellphone in the bag and called her dad. This in turn, caused the yakuza to track and find her. "Your mother in heaven is with you" is essentially her father saying that the cellphone was in the bag, since there was a photo of the family as the cellphone wallpaper. Then she says that "Meo knew the answer by instinct" and she knew that what her father meant by that phrase was that the cellphone was in the bag. This guess is reinforced by Meo saying that she could have her mother's cellphone when she was older.

Is what I got from it... but I feel like I might be completely wrong, please correct me (by just saying yes or no) coz I want to truly see what happens if I am wrong in the next episode :P

I think my 2nd guess is correct though, first one seems a bit too... evil XD
The way I see it, her Father telling her not to call him is simple. If the Yakuza do get to him, which I'm sure has already happened, they would trace any calls made to his cell phone, which I'm sure that was what that small scene was about.

I was under the impression that she used the house phone to make that call, why? Because Alice had to cut open the bag to get to the cell phone, meaning Meo never used and didn't know about it. But what that cell phone is for... I don't know, either it's a means of a secure line, or there's some information inside of it... Possibly the location of the remaining money.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2011-07-17 at 22:45. Reason: No need for spoilers when speculating
Old 2011-07-17, 01:41   Link #234
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

The farther is so dead by now
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-17, 01:53   Link #235
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
The farther is so dead by now
Actually there is only one thing keeping the Father alive, and that is the 300 million yen. Killing the Father at this moment wouldn't get them their money, because if they kill him now, they'll have no way of smoking his daughter out into the open. If they're smart, they would use the Father as bait to draw out the daughter along with the rest of their money.

...Yeah I watch too much TV.
Old 2011-07-17, 02:08   Link #236
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Maybe, but as a main character he cannot remain passive for long.
This. It's fine if Narumi is a bit flat for now - but if he's "not supposed to be distinctive", I'm not sure you have a show.
Old 2011-07-17, 04:49   Link #237
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.

Can someone tell me what is the best sub team for this anime. It's not the same translation between Evetaku and UDW (or utw). Which one is the best ?
Old 2011-07-17, 05:19   Link #238
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusa-San View Post
Can someone tell me what is the best sub team for this anime. It's not the same translation between Evetaku and UDW (or utw). Which one is the best ?
Best not to over think it, just pick one and stick to it till the end.
Old 2011-07-17, 14:14   Link #239
Roxasvsriku
★★★★★
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusa-San View Post
UTW

Anyways just started this series yesterday, think it's interesting enough to follow. Always like a good mystery series.
Roxasvsriku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-17, 14:29   Link #240
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

A quite nice second episode indeed, enjoyed it more than the previous one (which was already good, so this was even better). Unlike the first episode, events didn't feel draggy at any point and the case, while typical enough overall, works quite well for the show.

I am a bit surprised about how far out Alice is willing to stretch her neck though, they are dabbling in some pretty serious business this time around. Searching for a missing schoolgirl is one thing, but searching for a guy who took off with 300 million worth of Yakuza money, while keeping said money inside your own house, is on a somewhat different scale of dangerous. Obviously they will come out just fine in the end, but I am surprised no one from the group seemed to realize (or care?) about the potential perils of this case. I mean, appearances aside, they are still just kids who wouldn't be able to do much if the Yakuza came knocking.

That aside, it will be interesting to see how the case pans out, and what shape Meo's father is found in. I'm sure there has been some 'questioning' regarding the whereabouts of the money after all.

But yeah, a good episode overall and an improvement over the first one in terms of pacing. I could do with less of Alice's reminders that she is a NEET detective, not a detective, as if that's something worth pointing out on every chance

Tags
bromance, comedy, drama, slice of life