Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-07-14, 04:16   Link #221
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Rize's being the embodiement of Ken's ghoul side was a very nice addition, and I can't say HanaKana using a smexy voice left me indifferent at all
This part pissed me off. I really wish I could explain why without spoiling.

In addition, I don't like how they decided to compress and omit so much and then suddenly spend over half of the episode on a gratuitous and drawn out fight against Nishio. I mean holy shit, talk about over the top. Was I watching DBZ?

I'm incredibly disappointed with the adaptation.
Old 2014-07-14, 05:53   Link #222
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

The censorship is already making me not want to watch it (it's over the top...) but the way they are cutting the story and such...I'll stick to the manga and give the anime a pass.
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-14, 10:26   Link #223
Iron Maw
Banned

As far as I'm concerned this has become less an adaptation and more of an alternate interpretation when I saw the OP in episode 2 (the changes aside). With the anime being one cour it is so much easier swallow that the staff is going to compress nearly 80 chapters into 12 episodes when you have that view IMO. Otherwise as a source reader it will be too hard for me to enjoy this myself especially since changes get worse as we near the end.

Shame, but as with most adaptation not everything can be HXH 2012 or FMA: B even when it makes the most sense that to done that way.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-14, 10:46   Link #224
hamazura
whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
As far as I'm concerned this has become less an adaptation and more of an alternate interpretation when I saw the OP in episode 2 (the changes aside). With the anime being one cour it is so much easier swallow that the staff is going to compress nearly 80 chapters into 12 episodes when you have that view IMO. Otherwise as a source reader it will be too hard for me to enjoy this myself especially since changes get worse as we near the end.

Shame, but as with most adaptation not everything can be HXH 2012 or FMA: B even when it makes the most sense that to done that way.
it could be done
anime is fast paced while manga wasting too much page.
Old 2014-07-14, 10:57   Link #225
Iron Maw
Banned

It can be done for any adaptation, that doesn't mean it's good thing. I don't agree your other sentiment either, but lets leave it at that. I'd rather not poison this thread with complaints or derailment.
Old 2014-07-14, 11:12   Link #226
LoveYouSaber

Watched the first episode and it's less scary than I thought. Overall good episode, and the tones and words of Rize when she was going to feed on the MC reminded me of Kurumi from Date A Live. Added to the fact there's a female character whose name sounds similar to Tohka, and I'm somehow getting a wrong linkage between the sweet Date a Live and this gore feast...
LoveYouSaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-14, 23:32   Link #227
Galacticichi

After having caught up to the latest translated chapter, I can't help feeling disappointed with how this anime will conclude. I may still enjoy it, as I enjoyed Gokukoku no Brynhildr and it crammed about 100 chapters into 13 episodes while omitting entire arcs and just fudging up events. It also had anime original content much like Tokyo Ghoul with how a character that died still lives on in the MC's head. If this is 12 episodes, with the OP indicating they'll get to chapter 80, we can only expect another poor adaption that won't expand the story the way it needs to be so the plot and eventual character developments are coherent and epic.

Whether it's split cour or not is irrelevant as a second season will be just as rushed as this season is, supposing this is one cour.
Galacticichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-15, 03:01   Link #228
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

I understand that manga readers are disappointed by the anime, but what about those who aren't following the source? Will we be able to make sense of what is going on?
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-15, 05:48   Link #229
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

This is an instance where the risk-aversion that plagues the industry could really be a tragedy. I always felt this series could sell on disc, and indeed early Stalker numbers look quite positive. There's no reason for this to be a one-cour series, but (I haven't read the manga) I really hope Pierrot doesn't do anything they can't take back. At least with a show like Sidonia the door was left open for a sequel - indeed, it's quite possible that was decided as a split-cour in advance (and that could be the case here, too).
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-15, 06:03   Link #230
konart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post
I understand that manga readers are disappointed by the anime, but what about those who aren't following the source? Will we be able to make sense of what is going on?
Disappointed? I thought everyone were mostly happy about adaptation. Censorship was something to expect
Old 2014-07-15, 06:06   Link #231
Domonkazu

is this really one cour?
Domonkazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-15, 06:06   Link #232
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Speaking only for myself, an anime-only viewer: Nope, I have no problems so far following what's been going on. (I find it ridiculous nonetheless that organ transplants can be carried out so arbitrarily but, hey, creative licence and all that jazz.)

I'll add that what I've seen so far is fairly encouraging, compared to the other show I'm watching this season, Aldnoah.Zero. I'm not that impressed by Aldnoah yet, despite it being a creation of Gen Urobuchi, mainly because it seems so stereotypically Japanese. Tokyo Ghoul, on the other hand, comes across as a rather interesting take on what's undoubtedly its key reference: Modern vampire lore as popularised by the likes of Anne Rice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
As far as I'm concerned this has become less an adaptation and more of an alternate interpretation when I saw the OP in episode 2 (the changes aside)... As a source reader it will be too hard for me to enjoy this myself especially since changes get worse as we near the end.
That's why it's usually a very bad idea to read source material before watching a show: It often destroys your ability to approach any story with an open mind.

Every story is always a different take of an older tale. The moment any viewer internalises this philosophy is the moment he enables himself to always take a fresh look at anything. He'd allow himself to judge any story on its own merits, rather than how it compares to other interpretations of its source.

But enough of this. I've lost count of how many times I've argued this case. I don't expect people to change their minds, but I do hope they would keep their complaints to a minimum and allow anime-only viewers to enjoy the show as it is presented to them.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-15, 06:07   Link #233
Fellen
*Insert user title here*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domonkazu View Post
is this really one cour?
It's unknown.
Old 2014-07-15, 06:07   Link #234
askara

@Guardian Enzo
yea i remember the time where 24 eps were the norm and now nearly all of them is 12 eps and rarely do we get 24 eps anime. but i can understand financial benefits and advantages of 12eps over 24 eps so much that there are hardly any reason why you would chose the later, i mean nowday anime is basically advisement to sell manga/LN and merchandise
askara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-15, 06:20   Link #235
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Anime that sell well on disc (the Manabi Line has no real meaning these days, but take Sidonia - about 8K - as an example) make plenty of money for their production committees. That's why they almost always get sequels.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-15, 08:13   Link #236
mistress_kisara

I'm not a manga reader but I am enjoying the show so far, manga readers should just stick to the manga if you're not happy.
mistress_kisara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-15, 08:26   Link #237
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Yes, absolutely. Keep in mind that what people like myself are complaining about is not that the story is different (it follows it fairly closely, so far), but the changes in how the story is told. You won't notice them if you only follow one format, obviously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
That's why it's usually a very bad idea to read source material before watching a show: It often destroys your ability to approach any story with an open mind.

Every story is always a different take of an older tale. The moment any viewer internalises this philosophy is the moment he enables himself to always take a fresh look at anything. He'd allow himself to judge any story on its own merits, rather than how it compares to other interpretations of its source.
Spin that the other way for a moment: if you watched the anime first, would you be able to read the source material with an open mind?

I realize there are some who only watch or read _____ and ignore everything else, and while people are free to do that, I feel that's a shame. I feel it closes off opportunities for discussion and diminishes the potential appreciation for the work as a whole. I've never understood why anyone would put up their own barriers to knowledge, especially when they clearly enjoy (or at least find interesting) one version of the work.
Old 2014-07-15, 08:51   Link #238
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Spin that the other way for a moment: if you watched the anime first, would you be able to read the source material with an open mind?
In a word: Yes.

But I had training. As a literature student, I learnt to separate my opinions and analyses of each version of any story. It's not an easy thing to do, mind you. I kept flunking through my first year before I finally internalised the methodology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
I realize there are some who only watch or read _____ and ignore everything else, and while people are free to do that, I feel that's a shame. I feel it closes off opportunities for discussion and diminishes the potential appreciation for the work as a whole. I've never understood why anyone would put up their own barriers to knowledge, especially when they clearly enjoy (or at least find interesting) one version of the work.
That's because you completely misunderstand the approach. Students are generally advised not to watch the performance of a play before reading the original source because doing so would usually fix a certain interpretation of the material in their minds. Teachers would prefer that each student comes to his own conclusions about the story and its characters before considering other people's views. The same approach would apply to anime adaptations of manga or light novels.

It's not until students have shown an ability to "unfix" such arbitrarily locked-on impressions before they're encouraged to roam as they see fit.

The bottom line remains the same: You've got to be able to separate your views of any interpretation of a story. Master that ability first, before you try to compare one interpretation with another. You must first be able accept that there are any number of valid interpretations of a story, before you attempt a critique. Otherwise, you'd just end up making a lot of pointless comparisons that matter only to you, and not necessarily to other people.

The essential idea is that there's no such thing as "one best interpretation". Any number of interpretations can contend. And indeed, the more you have to consider, the richer your experience of the story.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-15, 08:57   Link #239
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
Not all manga readers. As with all things, some people will like or either just not care about the changes, and some will not. Personally, I have yet to see any changes that have truly disappointed me. There are things I wish they had kept the same as the manga, but I understand why they didn't, and overall I still like what we got. And there are some changes that were made that I actually liked, like Rize showing up sooner.
Cloudedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-15, 10:28   Link #240
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
This is an instance where the risk-aversion that plagues the industry could really be a tragedy. I always felt this series could sell on disc, and indeed early Stalker numbers look quite positive. There's no reason for this to be a one-cour series, but (I haven't read the manga) I really hope Pierrot doesn't do anything they can't take back. At least with a show like Sidonia the door was left open for a sequel - indeed, it's quite possible that was decided as a split-cour in advance (and that could be the case here, too).
To add to this, TG is one of big 3 of Weekly Young Jump along with Kingdom and Terrafomers. Its also usually charts in the top 3 whenever a new volumes comes out and ranked 23 in top best selling manga of the year. Now the anime production comes around with Pierrot, a studio known for doing long running shows on board and you would expect at least 24 episodes minimum. =/

There is clearly big fanbase for this series which is continuing to grow and yet in comparison to Akame ga Kill which sells 3x less, gets 2 cours from a studio that typically does 12 episode shows. It's definitely a pretty strange case of industry conservationism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post

But enough of this. I've lost count of how many times I've argued this case. I don't expect people to change their minds, but I do hope they would keep their complaints to a minimum and allow anime-only viewers to enjoy the show as it is presented to them.
Well I have already been reading the manga since last year sooo it's way too late for me there.

But yes I completely agree and that's exact what I have and continuing to do. At least in this type of situation anyway. It's certainly not easy, but i think I'm get better that. This still a quality adaptation for the most part IMO and I think it's going to be faithful in it's own way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudedmind View Post
Not all manga readers. As with all things, some people will like or either just not care about the changes, and some will not. Personally, I have yet to see any changes that have truly disappointed me. There are things I wish they had kept the same as the manga, but I understand why they didn't, and overall I still like what we got. And there are some changes that were made that I actually liked, like Rize showing up sooner.
This where I am more or less. I didn't like the change with Rize at first not so much because it's there, but due it's effect on later in the future scene... However in the light of my changed expectations towards the adaptation, I'm more neutral with it now.

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2014-07-15 at 12:57.

Tags
psychological, violence