AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-01-11, 08:34   Link #221
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
I marathoned the series and caught up last night. I must say it was pleasent surprise and im enjoying Shion no Ou much more than i did Hikaru no Go i guess its just prefrence. Shion as a character i enjoy very much since she wont spoke she has gotten creative with how she intereacts with people in her life, its the little things that get my attention on a character. Like when Shion told Nikaido her hair smelled nice. Her positive aura effects everyone around her not to mention she is just Damn cute with those big eyes and short hair.

Hisatani' managed to get Nikaido to blush and take notice of him all at the same time. Could there be something there? Shougi players need love and it would help Nikaido get over her Nii-san complex and hopefully she will take that long awaited and needed trip to the department store for some new clothes. I like her character but her clothes are ghastly

Spoiler for Who is the murderer:
Old 2008-01-11, 09:36   Link #222
Likely

i think the merits of this show is that it has good character relationships and character interaction, perfect for a slice of life or romance. but why they would want to throw these qualities into a murder/psycopath genre is beyond me. thus, this show comes off as mostly strange. also, what middle-aged man would hold a grudge or otherwise enjoy tormenting a 10 year old orphaned girl? its so unbelievable that it's almost corny.
Likely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-11, 12:13   Link #223
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Likely View Post
i think the merits of this show is that it has good character relationships and character interaction, perfect for a slice of life or romance. but why they would want to throw these qualities into a murder/psycopath genre is beyond me. thus, this show comes off as mostly strange. also, what middle-aged man would hold a grudge or otherwise enjoy tormenting a 10 year old orphaned girl? its so unbelievable that it's almost corny.
you put to much faith in your fellow man. To the murderer this is nothing more than a game just like Shougi. He is playing a game of strategy and cat and mouse. There are people in the world who derive pleasure from someone elses misery. The show is not that far fetched i would like to classify him a serial killer but that term doesnt exactly fit since we only know of 2 victims. The character interation especially with Shion is a direct result of her traumatic past. Her past is what allows you to sympthaize with her. You wouldnt feel as strongly if she had had a happy go lucky life with no type of struggle.
Old 2008-01-11, 12:44   Link #224
Likely

if the psycopath were playing cat and mouse with the police or the one detective then sure. but why with shion? in this case his game of life is a match between an accomplished player and a beginner. there's no thrill in that. i just feel that theres not enough reason behind the plot.

i absolutely loved hng and stumbled upon this series with hopes of something like that. but not even close.
Likely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-11, 13:03   Link #225
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likely View Post
if the psycopath were playing cat and mouse with the police or the one detective then sure. but why with shion? in this case his game of life is a match between an accomplished player and a beginner. there's no thrill in that. i just feel that theres not enough reason behind the plot.

i absolutely loved hng and stumbled upon this series with hopes of something like that. but not even close.
To me the reason why he left Shion alive is for this purpose. Whoever the culprit is he is obviously smart. If we assume he had some type of vendetta aganist Shion's parents, to him making her suffer more is still like tourturing her parents. Granted this is just a theory and we dont know the history between the Shion's parents and the murderer. This was not a random crime nothing was stolen he killed them in cold blood it was premeditated.

He is playing cat and mouse with Shion and the police. Shion is the tool he is using think about the theme that reoccures over and over in the series. The players are constantly wanting to test their skills. If the killer is Shogi player maybe he testing his skills in this way as well. Its also obvious that he is happy Shion is still playing to the put the king on her forehead to me was like a calling card marking her.
Old 2008-01-11, 14:56   Link #226
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Episode 11: Jesus, i wasn't expecting to see such an impressive line up of matches for the two girls and Ayumi --- it just screams out 'last episode', though i still have my hopes about that little announcement we heard a while ago.

It's true all fingers point at Satoru being the killer, though maybe they're making us believe that for a reason. I'm not sure, we'll just have to see how his match will play out with Shion --- the perfect time for something HUGE to happen.
Old 2008-01-11, 21:18   Link #227
Seditary
Ooooo what?!

All the people saying it can't be Satoru because of all the clues pointing to him makes me think of that evil girl in SZS who looks evil, so she can't possibly be doing all the bad things that she so obviously does.

Old 2008-01-12, 10:59   Link #228
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Throw all the evidence we have that Satoru is the murderer from back then, and i'll just say he was thanks to that GOD DAMN EVIL SMILE at the end of episode 11. That was Light Yagami worthy.
Old 2008-01-14, 04:08   Link #229
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Wait! He's too obvious! He can't possibly be as evil as he looks, right? The fact that he's so obvious should mean that we're all wrong to believe it. Oh heck, maybe he did it. It isn't as though we have any better suspects... Unless its the nice old guy who runs the desk...

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-14, 09:10   Link #230
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
Unless its the nice old guy who runs the desk...
If this is true, then Shion no Ou will be the best series ever created.
Old 2008-01-14, 10:12   Link #231
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Agreed that would be the WTF of the month for me but in a good way.
Old 2008-01-14, 10:20   Link #232
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
Agreed that would be the WTF of the month for me but in a good way.
Don't you mean OF THE CENTURY?
Old 2008-01-14, 13:57   Link #233
Saleh
Inactive

Beneficiaries (Both direct & indirect) of a calculated murder case should never be underestimated especially if they are strategist. Murderer may turn out to be a pawn even if it was Satoru. Satoru is most likely to have vital information on the murderer since he has capitalist/criminal background and more sources.

All opponents should start their matches like with a evil smile like Satoru . He does a very good job at intimidating Shion in episode 12 to win a strategical advantage.
Old 2008-01-14, 15:16   Link #234
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Quote:
Unless its the nice old guy who runs the desk...
Well, if you think about it. The cellphone was left on his desk. He's the person who had easiest access to it, right? You're supposed to ignore him since he seems like such a nice guy, but he's in the center of everything that happens.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2008-01-14, 15:38   Link #235
Saleh
Inactive

Quote:
Well, if you think about it. The cellphone was left on his desk. He's the person who had easiest access to it, right? You're supposed to ignore him since he seems like such a nice guy, but he's in the center of everything that happens.
According to what we are shown in episode 10, he was upstairs with Hisatani and the police when that happened. Also, the perpetrator was wearing gloves. Amusing fact is that the prestigious shogi association doesn't have a security cam in the lobby.
Old 2008-01-14, 15:40   Link #236
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleh View Post
Spoiler for o_x:
Aiyaiyai *attempts to un-read that*

Quote:
You're supposed to ignore him since he seems like such a nice guy, but he's in the center of everything that happens.
I also had the thought that it may be him but then threw that idea away... and now I realize how ironic it is that I did. "It can't be Satoru because he's so obvious, but what about the old nice guy? ...Naaah, he can't be because he's too UN-obvious".

Truth be told, I have no idea who the culprit is. I'm just trying to make the wait more bearable by imagining each character as the mastermind.... (even Shion herself!).
Risaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-15, 02:25   Link #237
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleh View Post
According to what we are shown in episode 10, he was upstairs with Hisatani and the police when that happened. Also, the perpetrator was wearing gloves. Amusing fact is that the prestigious shogi association doesn't have a security cam in the lobby.
Actually, we can't be sure of the timing. We see him upstairs before we see the phone taken, but we cannot be sure that he was still upstairs while the phone was taken because he might have come downstairs. As for the gloves, he could have put those gloves on just to avoid leaving fingerprints. Whomever the culprit was, I'm sure he put on the gloves just to avoid fingerprints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa View Post
I also had the thought that it may be him but then threw that idea away... and now I realize how ironic it is that I did. "It can't be Satoru because he's so obvious, but what about the old nice guy? ...Naaah, he can't be because he's too UN-obvious".
That's what makes it such a "Myself; Yourself"-level twist. I can be certain people would be overjoyed simply to be surprised, while others would be cursing the lack of foreshadowing.

Old 2008-01-15, 06:44   Link #238
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I just don't think i can prepare myself to see an evil laugh come from that old man..
Old 2008-01-15, 07:52   Link #239
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
I can be certain people would be overjoyed simply to be surprised, while others would be cursing the lack of foreshadowing.
What bothers me most about the murder-mystery aspect of the story is the lack of discussion of motive. Without any clue about why her parents were killed, we left with random speculation about almost any character in the show. Or even people we've never seen. Maybe Nikaido's father killed them in hopes of derailing the career of a potential competitor. (Obviously I don't believe this; I give this example to demonstrate how little evidence we have to rule out even highly implausible scenarios.)
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-16, 21:50   Link #240
takodori

Reference photos : Here are the links to the photoes of professional shogi players who wear Kimono like Kamizono. The linked pages are ones in 57th Osho-title match reporting blog.

http://shogi.weblogs.jp/ohsho/2008/01/post-769a.html - The player is Habu Yoshiharu(Osho holder). They say he is the model of Hani Meijin, although their looks don't resemble very much.

http://shogi.weblogs.jp/ohsho/2008/01/post-18d5.html

Most of them usually play shogi in a suit, but tend to wear a Kimono on the special occasions such as title matches, final match before retirement etc..., The reason why Kamizono always wears a Kimono is just his preference, I think.
takodori is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, games, loli, seinen, studio deen