Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2019-11-20, 18:52   Link #2461
ramlaen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
The issue here is not guilt or innocence- Trump has publicly confessed to impeachable offenses far more serious than Nixon resigned for. The issue is that there’s absolutely no sign Republicans will remove him from office, and they’re the only ones that can. You’re already seeing the defense change from “he didn’t do it” to “he did it but it doesn’t matter”. The goalposts will keep moving as many times as they need to, because Trump voters and Republicans in Congress will keep moving them.

As for Pence, you’re already seeing Haley desperately try and position herself to take advantage if Trump decides he’s been too disloyal or he’s too damaged by the Ukraine blight to keep around.
Republicans show no sign of being willing to remove Trump because despite handwringing from Congressional Democrat leadership he has not committed an impeachable offense.
Old 2019-11-20, 18:54   Link #2462
ramlaen

Oh no, that sucks!

https://en.interfax.com.ua/news/pres...ce/625876.html
Old 2019-11-20, 19:34   Link #2463
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramlaen View Post
The Interfax-Ukraine News Agency is a Kiev-based Ukrainian news agency founded in 1992. The company belongs to the Russian news group Interfax Information Services.

They are under Putin's thumb, no and ifs or butts.

Andrii Leonidovych Derkach is a ... activist of the Russian Orthodox Church.

In case people don't know, Ukraine seceded from said russian orthodox church. The rest of his bios reeks of "agent of the former USSR, now rusia operative".
Old 2019-11-20, 21:10   Link #2464
The Green One

Still it comes down to whether the Republicans will break ranks or if they circle the wagons and stubbornly insist that nothing wrong happened. I honestly can't see Trump admitting to wrong doing in this 11th hour. It pretty much goes against all his prior behavior. Hell will likely freeze over first. The pubs will cover their own asses and acquit, Trump will sneer and proclaim this proves he's innocent and dance on his merry way thumbing his nose at the country.
Old 2019-11-20, 21:14   Link #2465
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toukairin View Post
Spiro Agnew, who was VP under Richard Nixon between 1969 and 1973, had to resign because he was accused on a single felony charge of tax evasion.
Agnew was guilty of a lot more than tax evasion. He was receiving bribes while he was in the Vice President's office. Tax evasion was a convenient charge to bring as it was in the case of 1930's gangster Al Capone. Rachel Maddow produced a podcast about Agnew's demise which is definitely worth a listen: https://www.msnbc.com/bagman. It includes interviews with a couple of the original prosecutors. Then Attorney General Elliot Richardson, famous as well for the "Saturday Night Massacre," is no longer with us. The contrast between the upright Richardson and the current corrupt holder of this post is stunning. It shows how far the Republican Party has fallen.

Quote:
Republicans show no sign of being willing to remove Trump because despite handwringing from Congressional Democrat leadership he has not committed an impeachable offense.
No, Congressional Republicans are well aware he should be removed from office, but they are such a bunch of pussies that none of them will stand up for the rule of law.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...d00_story.html

And it's "Congressional Democratic leadership."
Old 2019-11-20, 21:22   Link #2466
Toukairin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Agnew was guilty of a lot more than tax evasion. It was a convenient charge to bring like in the case of 1930's gangster Al Capone. Rachel Maddow produced a podcast about Agnew's demise which is definitely worth a listen: https://www.msnbc.com/bagman. It includes interviews with a couple of the original prosecutors. Then Attorney General Elliot Richardson, famous as well for the "Saturday Night Massacre," is no longer with us. The contrast between the upright Richardson and the current corrupt holder of this post is stunning.
Yeah, you're right. Some of the other charges included criminal conspiracy, bribery, extortion, and tax fraud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
Still it comes down to whether the Republicans will break ranks or if they circle the wagons and stubbornly insist that nothing wrong happened. I honestly can't see Trump admitting to wrong doing in this 11th hour. It pretty much goes against all his prior behavior. Hell will likely freeze over first. The pubs will cover their own asses and acquit, Trump will sneer and proclaim this proves he's innocent and dance on his merry way thumbing his nose at the country.
I hope a number of Republicans are aware that they are on the verge of losing their jobs on the next election that takes place at the same time as the presidential election. And if they are fucked anyway, why is it so hard to do what is right and then ride into the sunset?

Last edited by Toukairin; 2019-11-20 at 21:43.
Old 2019-11-20, 22:44   Link #2467
ramlaen

Quote:
No, Congressional Republicans are well aware he should be removed from office, but they are such a bunch of pussies that none of them will stand up for the rule of law.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...d00_story.html

And it's "Congressional Democratic leadership."
It is good to see people consoling themselves that those dastardly Republicans refuse to impeach the president not because he did nothing impeachable but because they are worried about being reelected.

I will say that we agree Sondland's testimony was devastating, but not for the same reasons.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2019-11-21, 04:01   Link #2468
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I have to confess it's pretty hilarious to see Trumpers literally quoting from Putin-controlled news agencies to support their "arguments". It's funny, but it does show the futility of expecting them to ever acknowledge reality.
Old 2019-11-22, 11:40   Link #2469
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I have to confess it's pretty hilarious to see Trumpers literally quoting from Putin-controlled news agencies to support their "arguments". It's funny, but it does show the futility of expecting them to ever acknowledge reality.
Micheal Moore once said that republicans (no, there are no trumpists, just like there are no reaganists, the gop embrace's the hive mentality) are like sharks, they must keep swimming forward no matter what.

Case in point, the video ramlead first posted

youtu.be/e_c17vxrPWQ

about sondland saying trump told him on the phone that "he wants nothing, no quid pro quo" is convenient because it makes people think "there, sondland acknowledges trump didn't want anything". But the time frame is quite relevant, said phone call was not made during the "negotiations" (read like extortion) with Ukraine, but months later when this whole thing exploded due to the whistle blower. It is like your mafia boss being caught red handed and telling then to his mobsters, "hey, it was not my idea to illegally profit from this deal".

So it is not really funny, it has being the gop modus operandi all along, long before trump crashed the party and as long as foxnews keeps preaching the sound bites to keep them in office, they will continue their downwards descent, I expect murder to be in the menu soon enough.
Old 2019-11-22, 12:09   Link #2470
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Chris Hayes showed a couple other versions of the "I want nothing" song, but this one is my favorite:

https://twitter.com/BenJamminAsh/sta...876761088?s=19
Old 2019-11-22, 17:10   Link #2471
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1197187281657794560

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamuscle View Post

about sondland saying trump told him on the phone that "he wants nothing, no quid pro quo" is convenient because it makes people think "there, sondland acknowledges trump didn't want anything". But the time frame is quite relevant, said phone call was not made during the "negotiations" (read like extortion) with Ukraine, but months later when this whole thing exploded due to the whistle blower. It is like your mafia boss being caught red handed and telling then to his mobsters, "hey, it was not my idea to illegally profit from this deal".

So it is not really funny, it has being the gop modus operandi all along, long before trump crashed the party and as long as foxnews keeps preaching the sound bites to keep them in office, they will continue their downwards descent, I expect murder to be in the menu soon enough.
Sondland also said there was quid pro quo and that everyone in the administration (+ maybe A$ap Rocky? I guess he was in an implicating mood) knew about it.
Old 2019-12-02, 18:33   Link #2472
ramlaen

House Republican's released a summary report of impeachment evidence. If you aren't Republican try challenging yourself by giving it a read instead of dismissing it because it isn't from your 'team'.

https://republicans-oversight.house....sentatives.pdf
Old 2019-12-02, 18:57   Link #2473
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

^How about no?

I don't want to read a report by the party whose own ranking member is implicated in the thing being investigated. The party that couldn't counter any of the facts presented by the fact witnesses and resorted to badgering them with BS conspiracy theories.

The party that claims they are pro-army and pro-veterans but then proceed to drag a purple-heart recipient's name through the mud just because he's testifying a confirmation of what the whistleblower reported.

I've watched the inquiries; I've seen enough BS from the GOP.
Old 2019-12-03, 13:58   Link #2474
kari-no-sugata II

Here's the Dem's report:
https://intelligence.house.gov/report/
Old 2019-12-03, 16:50   Link #2475
Toukairin
Banned

Trump talks shit about NATO, and then Emmanuel Macron talks back with facts and solid counter-arguments to brush away Trump's poor attempt at lecturing others, all in good ****ing English as well.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Look at how clueless Trump was in the whole bit; he looked like some poor sod getting run over by a barrage of punches from Mike Tyson in a boxing ring. Macron went for blood and cut the buffoon off when the latter started speaking more shit, especially after the "Let's get serious" moment around 9:10 in the video. That's how you do it with a bullshitter. I hope Merkel will do the same tomorrow.
Old 2019-12-03, 17:31   Link #2476
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Trump shows yet again that he has no clue about the nature or importance of collective security. It's all about the money for him. As Macron says, the number one priority is developing a strategy for NATO that matches the current range of threats, not niggling over a few extra dollars from a couple of small member-states.

I find it remarkable that Russia and Ukraine/Crimea was not a major focus of discussion. And while Macron mentioned Turkey briefly, again it was glossed over, as though having a NATO ally making nice with the Russians is not a grave threat.

Also remarkable was how everyone just ignored Trump's stupid comments on using trade as a weapon. He still thinks that tariffs are paid by the source country, not American consumers. No matter how absurd his beliefs may be, he refuses to reconsider them in the face of advice from his staff or outside commentary. Same as the ridiculous business about Ukraine and the 2016 election, or FBI spying on his campaign, or any of the wide variety of wrong-headed ideas held by the man with the nuclear codes.

I have some vague memories of Eisenhower, but pretty strong memories of the Presidents who came after him. I often disagreed with them, but none of them were as stupid and stubborn as Trump. Even George W. Bush, who was the weakest President intellectually in my lifetime before Trump, could run rings around the current occupant of the Oval Office.
Old 2019-12-03, 18:00   Link #2477
ramlaen

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH&S View Post
^How about no?

I don't want to read a report by the party whose own ranking member is implicated in the thing being investigated. The party that couldn't counter any of the facts presented by the fact witnesses and resorted to badgering them with BS conspiracy theories.

The party that claims they are pro-army and pro-veterans but then proceed to drag a purple-heart recipient's name through the mud just because he's testifying a confirmation of what the whistleblower reported.

I've watched the inquiries; I've seen enough BS from the GOP.
You didn't have to write all that just to say you only want to see what confirms your biases.
Old 2019-12-03, 18:51   Link #2478
Toukairin
Banned

Quote:
You didn't have to write all that just to say you only want to see what confirms your biases.
And you don't have to write anything at all. You're just polluting the thread with hogwash over hogwash
Old 2019-12-04, 00:54   Link #2479
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Quote:
You didn't have to write all that just to say you only want to see what confirms your biases matches both my observations and the facts presented by the fact witnesses' testimonies.
Fixed that for you.

Dude, can you for once make a good faith argument?

I told you I watched the inquiries. Its insulting for you to cry BIAS, BIAS, BIAS when I present easily observable facts established during the inquiries.
Old 2019-12-04, 11:59   Link #2480
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Also remarkable was how everyone just ignored Trump's stupid comments ...
IMO Nixon was smart, Reagan was not the sharpest tool in the shed (but at least he was not stupid), G. W. Bush was stupid (but at least he let smarter people do their job, sometimes), Trump is senile; but what is truly remarkable is that 53% of republicans think he is better than Lincoln. So more than half or republicans atm are liars or retarded and that is troublesome. With this progression the next republican president will be Beavis (or Butthead) and this is no joke.
Closed Thread