Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2015-11-17, 15:30   Link #2821
LG-MAX 2.o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsuki Hyuga View Post
Oh right, didn't notice it since it's not particularly jarring but:

pg 14:"A foolish, begging young one": 他愛ないおねだりで
Actual TL: For a childish(/innocent) wish,... (ctd to the beaten up part). Didn't see this tl until I double checked since it was in the corner lol. Not sure how it turned into that tho. This was why some JP commenters argued that Kaneki-mama was only disciplining her son. Which does not answer why she resorted to beating him up instead of something simple like slapping and reprimands ofc.

one page before last page:"Somewhere along the way, I mistakenly began to desire": いつの間にか、ほしがっていいって勘違いしてた。
The more accurate TL is: Somewhere along the way, I mistakenly think that it's okay for me to desire. Though I'd say the meaning is a bit intact I guess!

Otherwise all others should be ok! (or so what I think with my English understanding anyway )
Natsuki, I have a doubt about the part where Eto says Sasaki like / want to take a beating, it was translated right? if, with the discovery that Kaneki want to have an incredible death, it can change the view of some events of the past as the real reason that Kaneki was involved in Anteiku raid or because Sasaki was not seriously against Seido until Hinami be in danger.
LG-MAX 2.o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-17, 16:52   Link #2822
Windsgrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG-MAX 2.o View Post
Natsuki, I have a doubt about the part where Eto says Sasaki like / want to take a beating, it was translated right? if, with the discovery that Kaneki want to have an incredible death, it can change the view of some events of the past as the real reason that Kaneki was involved in Anteiku raid or because Sasaki was not seriously against Seido until Hinami be in danger.
I agree it does change your perspective of his actions. In a sense isn't this what it means to be a ghoul? I fight to live another day. Should I die I should die in the most grand way possible.
Windsgrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-17, 17:11   Link #2823
ninjastarforcex
Read My Sig :)

this chapter is confusing lol, kaneki and haise conversation dialogue is pretty complicated, i don't know who is talking what.

tl;dr next week roxas is ded?
Old 2015-11-17, 17:26   Link #2824
Akashin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjastarforcex View Post
this chapter is confusing lol, kaneki and haise conversation dialogue is pretty complicated, i don't know who is talking what.
Generally speaking, white speech bubbles are Haise, black Kaneki. Beyond that, I'm pretty sure that some confusion over who is saying what is deliberate; assuming no translation errors are involved, instances of Kaneki going back and forth between saying Haise and saying I were all over the place. The line between Kaneki and Haise seemed a bit blurry at times.
Akashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-17, 18:11   Link #2825
plsstaph

I find it weird how most people expect "the edgy" aka "white-haired" Kaneki back... i have a feeling that they are going to be disappointed.

I don't think that "Good night, Haise" means what the people that strongly desire Kaneki back(like he wasn't in every chapter) want it to mean and even if it meant that, it could be the "Kaneki image" that goes to sleep...

The most someone should expect would be Haise to remember and that's it. There will be no drastic change IMO in the way he is(there will probably be one in the way he fights). He isn't going to run back to Touka for example and abandon the quinx. It will be interesting to see how things develop tho. Next chapter is going to hopefully still focus on this and not jump to something else.
plsstaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-17, 18:59   Link #2826
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

The problem is that some fans don't understand that Haise is not a separate individual that will disappear when Ken "comes back", but a piece of a fractured psyche. There are three "Ken Kaneki" currently. There's the human, who suffered an abusive childhood and tried to put it behind him. There's the ghoul, who tried to abandon that life and nearly died as a result. Then there's the investigator, the pretend life that seeks to put the former lives in a box and pretend they never happened. You could probably break that down further, but those are the big three personalities that comprise "Ken Kaneki".

In each case, you see glimpses of the "real" Ken, like his habit of rubbing his chin when he tells a lie. You know he can be kind, cruel, loyal, smart, etc. But all of those Kens are still one person who just wants to be whole again. This is why, despite Haise being created to be the antithesis of what Ken had become, Haise knew deep down that he wasn't "whole". It might have taken longer without the outside pushes, but it was obvious that he couldn't stay Haise forever.
Old 2015-11-17, 19:20   Link #2827
LG-MAX 2.o

but also for more than 50 chapters many fans ignore all the scenes where Haise has moments where he shows a more serious / severe personality, such as in Chapter 15 where he trains with Qs and give a beating them without holding, or chapter 20 when he fights ghouls and shows a look that goes a feeling "no mercy", or more recently in chapter 41 where he fights the white suits and acted with incredible skill and calm, and especially when he kicks off the head of Kanae.

I personally find unfair is that when Haise has such moments, or is ignored by many fans who Haise also has some serious parts or is it automatically assumed that he was "possessed/controlled / dominated".

well, they are the same person, a lot of crap with various mental problems, I hope that now there is some achievement and improvement.
Old 2015-11-18, 00:28   Link #2828
Windsgrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
The problem is that some fans don't understand that Haise is not a separate individual that will disappear when Ken "comes back", but a piece of a fractured psyche. There are three "Ken Kaneki" currently. There's the human, who suffered an abusive childhood and tried to put it behind him. There's the ghoul, who tried to abandon that life and nearly died as a result. Then there's the investigator, the pretend life that seeks to put the former lives in a box and pretend they never happened. You could probably break that down further, but those are the big three personalities that comprise "Ken Kaneki".

In each case, you see glimpses of the "real" Ken, like his habit of rubbing his chin when he tells a lie. You know he can be kind, cruel, loyal, smart, etc. But all of those Kens are still one person who just wants to be whole again. This is why, despite Haise being created to be the antithesis of what Ken had become, Haise knew deep down that he wasn't "whole". It might have taken longer without the outside pushes, but it was obvious that he couldn't stay Haise forever.
Great analysis. I agree completely.
Windsgrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-18, 06:19   Link #2829
foxbox360
New Age Badass

Do you guys believe Haise and Ken merge start to become a douce to some people. After everything that has happened, I don't blame him if he does.
Old 2015-11-18, 07:14   Link #2830
Raviel

I've never viewed Ken and Haise as separate entities so I don't think there's been a "merge", anyway, at his core Kaneki has always been a nice person and even during the first manga he was rarely ever disrespectful or insulting to anyone.

Sure he's had outbursts of insanity and anger (the incident with Ayato comes to mind), but to suddenly become a douchebag? That wouldn't be Kaneki to me anymore.

I honestly don't understand this fixation on "edgy" Kaneki, do people conveniently forget just how much hell he went through and how broken his mind was to become that "badass" that he was at the end of the first manga.

P.S. I'm not saying he wasn't a badass in the first manga, I just don't get why people seem to think all of that was a positive thing for Kaneki.
Raviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-18, 08:43   Link #2831
LG-MAX 2.o

when many fans think about Shironeki, they think about what he did against Ayato and Yamori, so many consider him one badass without mercy, because of this impression. But even Shironeki was gentle and soft at various times, such as when he cut the hair of Hinami or taught Banjou reading and trained him in the fight (this part, Sasaki seemed more severe teacher), and also because Shironeki not kill humans.

A lot of people talk about Shironeki like he was a monster, but he's far from it, as well as talk about Sasaki as if he were weak, but as I said before, ignored all serious scenes him.

Last edited by LG-MAX 2.o; 2015-11-18 at 09:35.
Old 2015-11-18, 09:51   Link #2832
theshade1

I just want Kaneki back cuz it would further the main storyline. Esp wanna see what he'd do now in the circumstances given that one of his friends is in prison and he's hunting another one. IMO amnesia storylines can only go so far if you/the readers already know the pre-amnesia story.
theshade1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-18, 09:57   Link #2833
Akashin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG-MAX 2.o View Post
A lot of people talk about Shironeki like he was a monster, but he's far from it, as well as talk about Sasaki as if he were weak, but as I said before, ignored all serious scenes him.
I mean, at his worst, Shironeki was a monster. But like you said, he was also still the same gentle Kaneki at times, just as Haise still has some brutality to him at times, and is most definitely not weak. That analysis of Kaneki and Haise you posted a couple pages back hit the nail on the head pretty nicely.
Old 2015-11-18, 11:54   Link #2834
InfiniteDestiny

While I think most of us can agree that Kaneki will not revert to who he was prior to fighting Arima, I do wonder what that means in regards to the actions he currently takes, in other words what his priorities are now. We know that he wants to die in "style", but does that mean that his other "values", like protecting Hinami for example go out the window? Perhaps values in itself is the wrong word to use here, if we use Touka's analysis of his character as reference (him afraid of being alone), but in the end regardless of his motivation it was still a part of his character.

I would assume that since the "fragments" of his personality now appear to become whole that those values would still exist, but in the midst of all that "merging", somethings have to take priority over others. Since in the end the actions that Kaneki took as Haise are obviously vastly different than those he took as Shironeki.

If some grand death is all he is seeking, then wouldn't fighting Eto be the solution for that desire? Since Eto may as well be the equivalent to Arima who he saw as a reaper in the sense that facing her would be certain death (assuming she wants to kill him).
InfiniteDestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-18, 12:41   Link #2835
Raviel

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteDestiny View Post
While I think most of us can agree that Kaneki will not revert to who he was prior to fighting Arima, I do wonder what that means in regards to the actions he currently takes, in other words what his priorities are now. We know that he wants to die in "style", but does that mean that his other "values", like protecting Hinami for example go out the window? Perhaps values in itself is the wrong word to use here, if we use Touka's analysis of his character as reference (him afraid of being alone), but in the end regardless of his motivation it was still a part of his character.

I would assume that since the "fragments" of his personality now appear to become whole that those values would still exist, but in the midst of all that "merging", somethings have to take priority over others. Since in the end the actions that Kaneki took as Haise are obviously vastly different than those he took as Shironeki.

If some grand death is all he is seeking, then wouldn't fighting Eto be the solution for that desire? Since Eto may as well be the equivalent to Arima who he saw as a reaper in the sense that facing her would be certain death (assuming she wants to kill him).
I doubt all of Kaneki's old values will go out of the window just like that, I'm almost certain he'll prioritize protecting the people close to him like he's always done.

What Kaneki will exactly do now that he's "awake" again is anyone's guess though I'd say he'll start looking into his past more aggressively from now on. Plot-wise though I think Kaneki's "awakening" isn't quite enough to get the story moving from where it is right now. Kaneki can't really do much beyond a private investigation while he's in CCG so something else will probably come into play soon, maybe Amon will finally make his appearance again or the clowns will make a move.
Raviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-18, 19:21   Link #2836
saw2097

One thing I am sure of is that he will want to get Hinami out of CCG custody, and probably will feel guilty about putting her there.

The real question is how will this effect his relationship with his students, will he try to convince them to leave the CCG, will he try to maintain his friendship with them and go search for his old friends, or will he leave and not say a word to them so they don't get involved.

If Arima has been gouging out his eyes or 'killing' him to reset him every time he doesn't do what he wants, then I seriously doubt his relationship with him will remain friendly for long, he may run away from the CCG solely to get away from that.
saw2097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-18, 19:30   Link #2837
Akashin

Quote:
Originally Posted by saw2097 View Post
One thing I am sure of is that he will want to get Hinami out of CCG custody, and probably will feel guilty about putting her there.

The real question is how will this effect his relationship with his students, will he try to convince them to leave the CCG, will he try to maintain his friendship with them and go search for his old friends, or will he leave and not say a word to them so they don't get involved.

If Arima has been gouging out his eyes or 'killing' him to reset him every time he doesn't do what he wants, then I seriously doubt his relationship with him will remain friendly for long, he may run away from the CCG solely to get away from that.
I'm not even so sure he'll want to leave the CCG at all (right away, at least). Having his old memories back would definitely be a source of conflict as he's forced to deal with having comrades on both sides of the fence, but I'm not sure that that or even a fresh perspective on Arima would be enough to drive him from the CCG right away.

As for Hinami, while he'd be sure to have a fresh wave of guilt over where she is right now, I'm not sure he'd be in any hurry to send her back out to where she can fall back under Eto's thumb, either; unless, as you said, he were to flee and presumably try to take her with him. It all ultimately comes down to where his head is at when and if he gets his memories back, which we can't really predict right now.
Old 2015-11-18, 21:29   Link #2838
LG-MAX 2.o

the official young jump site (magazine where Tokyo Ghoul is published) is making available the last 10 chapters (raw) in great quality, as these scans are the official website would be against the rules put the link?

these scans are really good, you can see everything without problems, different from the Chinese version of the manga which is translated.
Old 2015-11-18, 22:57   Link #2839
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Send me a link via pm and I'll discuss it with the other staff.

EDIT: Looks good to me. Go ahead and post it.

Last edited by Solace; 2015-11-19 at 06:42.
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-19, 23:23   Link #2840
Hk1117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akashin View Post
I'm not even so sure he'll want to leave the CCG at all (right away, at least). Having his old memories back would definitely be a source of conflict as he's forced to deal with having comrades on both sides of the fence, but I'm not sure that that or even a fresh perspective on Arima would be enough to drive him from the CCG right away.

As for Hinami, while he'd be sure to have a fresh wave of guilt over where she is right now, I'm not sure he'd be in any hurry to send her back out to where she can fall back under Eto's thumb, either; unless, as you said, he were to flee and presumably try to take her with him. It all ultimately comes down to where his head is at when and if he gets his memories back, which we can't really predict right now.

And therein lies the problem. Kaneki is literally the only character, apart from Yoshimura, to have experienced all sides of the conflict first-hand.

From here, if "Kaneki" decides to leave CCG, I see only 2 things happening:

1: He goes neutral, like Yoshimura was. Makes a safe haven for ghouls who don't want to kill, while ensuring humans aren't hurt by ghouls in his vicinity as well.

2: He disappears without a trace (unlikely, yes).

However, if he chooses to stay, I can see him confronting Arima about everything, and trying to convince him that he's not a "typical" ghoul (though I doubt the Reaper will have any of it).

Speaking of Hinami, she's actually just a little bit safer in that prison right now than she'd ever be as a lackey for Eto, so, no escape attempts, at least till he can ensure Eto isn't that much of a threat.

But, in any scenario, he will go to :re and make peace with Tokua and the others, probably try to finally find out who put him as the fall guy when they tried to kill Rize, find the Doctor (and probably kill him for what he did to him.) and save Yoshimura (if he can).
Hk1117 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, comedy, drama, gore, modern fantasy, sci-fi, seinen, tragedy