AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2011-06-02, 19:56   Link #31061
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
...don't tell me it's something like "a boy would destroy the *ahem* purity of the couple" argument?
Sadly that's exactly it. Men are seen as dirty and gross while women are pure and wonderful. So...

Pure + Pure = Pure

Pure + Pure =/= Dirty

Though scientifically speaking it's because the Y chromosome is unique to the sperm, so if a child is (somehow) made from 2 eggs, it'll be a girl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanya01 View Post
"Yuuno and Chrono get as much love as they need in canon, which is none."
Well, kinda agree about Chrono. He's married with kids so he's happy enough. Yuuno's got nothing.
Old 2011-06-02, 20:05   Link #31062
shiroi mahotsukai
Under Death by College
*Author

Double standards irritate me, there's always someone who'll argue for it, I don't see why a yuri couple's child should be female, if anything a male would be a needed addition to keep the family name going.

Pairings with large age gaps on the other hand don't really bother me as long as the premise is sound and there is truly recipricated love, surely such a superficial thing as age shouldn't stand in the way of true love? Unless y'know one of them is dead... gotta draw the line somewhere after all.
"There are no winners or losers, there are only the living and the dead."
shiroi mahotsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-02, 20:08   Link #31063
deathcurse
Queen of Tragedy

Location: Place of rocks and trees, and trees and rocks...and water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shigan View Post
Controversy? I love the idea! (Vivio -is- legal here, isn't she? o_o)

Um.....

No? (Which is why I expected more controversy ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shigan View Post
Well, if you want to make it overtly romantic, you could have the wolkenritter challenge Vivio and her clan (namely, Fate + Nanoha) according to some ancient Belkan tradition in combat over the right to court their mistress or something. Hayate's O__o reaction would be nothing short of priceless.

Otherwise, I can understand how this could be controversial, I'm usually not a huge fan of big age-gap couplings myself but you made such an excellent premise so I'll just sit back and let you take us away, and perhaps do a little writing on my own between your chapters .
OMG XD, I laughed so hard when I tried to picture Hayate's reaction to such a thing! If I manage to keep this series on the "crack" side, then it could be a funny possibility--but knowing me , if it does end up becoming more serious then I'll have to be super-careful.

Your writing between my chapters is very welcome .

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
It's also a scientific thing. Studies show that men prefer younger girls due to maximum child bearing potential, while women prefer older men for the stability and security.
Yes, that's true, but I had been talking about cases of abuse there . That whether or not older women or older men are more likely to take advantage of a younger partner gets overshadowed statistically simply because more cases tend to be "Older man, younger girl".

Which had been a point of saying that Yuuno x Vivio would likely be viewed on with more suspicion than Hayate x Vivio, just because of that social bias/statistic, not because of anything inherent in either of them.

Quote:
That's more or less what my mentality was when I started Vivio/Yuuno. Also like here everyone was pretty receptive of the idea at first, but unfortunately I disappointed them all.

I bet you a fic that you'll have more success.
Well, I care a little less than you do about disappointing others , so maybe I'll endure!

Now now , I don't think so. Niche market of a niche market, after all...

Quote:
Speaking of double standards, there's something that has been bugging me for a while: Why must the child of a yuri pairing be female? (And before someone points this out, Erio and Caro are Fate's children, not NanoFate)
As 00-Raiser said, if they took a true biological view, then the child would have to be female. If it's through adoption, then I guess it may be a trend...

It's weird, since I've only ever noticed that trend in fanfiction. In novels I found it to be fairly split between boys and girls .

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiroi mahotsukai View Post
Double standards irritate me, there's always someone who'll argue for it, I don't see why a yuri couple's child should be female, if anything a male would be a needed addition to keep the family name going.
Well, socially nowadays it's very acceptable even in traditionally sexist countries (like China, for example) for the child to take the mother's name if they so choose. So even that wouldn't really matter--and I imagine in a world like Mid-Childa, inheritance probably isn't just through the male line and all .
deathcurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-02, 20:34   Link #31064
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathcurse View Post

Um.....

No? (Which is why I expected more controversy ).
I only took a glance at it, but isn't she 16 or so? In Japan at least a girl can get married at 16 so long as the partner is 18 or over and the parents give their permission.

Quote:
Well, I care a little less than you do about disappointing others , so maybe I'll endure!
Unfortunately my self esteem is in the negative numbers so I can't afford that luxery
Old 2011-06-02, 20:36   Link #31065
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

She's 17 by the time she gives Hayate the rose, IIRC.
Old 2011-06-02, 20:46   Link #31066
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Well there ya go.

Course she was the same age in my fic but I used the legality of it to cause them to put things on hold.

Since deathcurse loves tragedy so much she could use them same to cause them to commit lover's suicide or something
Old 2011-06-02, 20:55   Link #31067
Yasanagi
A Drifter...
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Yasanagi
Spoiler for Kaiser Mom again:

Thanks to 00-Raiser for hooking me up with the sig!
Yasanagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-02, 21:02   Link #31068
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
but knowing me , if it does end up becoming more serious then I'll have to be super-careful.
"IF"?

Quote:
It's weird, since I've only ever noticed that trend in fanfiction. In novels I found it to be fairly split between boys and girls .
I'll admit I've never read romance novels whether it be straight or gay (it's just not the kind of genre I want to spend money on) so my observation is limited to fanfics

Quote:
Well, socially nowadays it's very acceptable even in traditionally sexist countries (like China, for example) for the child to take the mother's name if they so choose.
And not all cultures (like mine) has family names. Last names are just used to make our names more colorful
Old 2011-06-02, 21:13   Link #31069
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasanagi View Post
Spoiler for Kaiser Mom again:
Obviously, Olivie trained with Master Asia at one point in her life...

"Let me see your true feelings, through your FISTS!"

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-02, 22:03   Link #31070
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:
This is a sequel to “You Never Lose By Loving”/ “Lose By Holding Back”, from both popular demand and also from the plot bunny refusing to hibernate and leave me alone .

Prerogative of the Brave

“A coward is incapable of exhibiting love; it is the prerogative of the brave."
--Mahatma Gandhi

Spoiler for Prerogative of the Brave, Chapter 1:

Spoiler for Author's Note:

EDIT: Altered some honorifics. Thanks RD!
Bahaha, I liked the reference to Suzuka and Arisa being even more vague about things than Nanoha and Fate are. At least here, Nanoha and Fate got married!

And of course, Hayate's plan to try and put some distance between her and Vivio backfires on her in the one way she never expected it to. I like how she even acknowledges at the end that she's completely doomed at this point. In all seriousness, though, this will be interesting to see; Hayate's no longer in any position to try and run away, and Vivio is in the ideal position to try and nudge her along a bit, if she wants to. The question now is, will Vivio want to?

Most excellent start. Is this on FF.net yet?
Old 2011-06-02, 22:42   Link #31071
deathcurse
Queen of Tragedy

Quote:
I only took a glance at it, but isn't she 16 or so? In Japan at least a girl can get married at 16 so long as the partner is 18 or over and the parents give their permission.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
She's 17 by the time she gives Hayate the rose, IIRC.
Actually, she's supposed to be 15 , if I didn't mess up somewhere? I originally had a reference to Vivio being 16, somewhere, but I should have removed it entirely. Vivio is 15 when she snaps at the teasing in the first short, and still 15 (but probably a few months older) when she finally gives Hayate the rose.

(As a matter of fact, I had actually moved Vivio's age back to 15 because I wanted her to still be considered young enough for people to question the maturity of her feelings, but for her to just be old enough that those who do think she's mature can believe that she is sincere.)

Quote:
Course she was the same age in my fic but I used the legality of it to cause them to put things on hold.

Since deathcurse loves tragedy so much she could use them same to cause them to commit lover's suicide or something
Yes, I wanted the possible legality of it to strike here too (where I live, 14 is the age of consent , although of course there are fine print and such to be considered). Who actually knows what the Mid-Childan age of consent is? I'll thankfully not hit that issue anytime soon, but it's something I'd have to keep in mind if I keep continuing this series.

LOL, that would be pretty tragic . But I probably wouldn't just because it's been done, and you guys know how I hate to tread where others have already gone!

Quote:
"IF"?
Yes, if!

Might as well start planning for the serious stuff now, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
Bahaha, I liked the reference to Suzuka and Arisa being even more vague about things than Nanoha and Fate are. At least here, Nanoha and Fate got married!

And of course, Hayate's plan to try and put some distance between her and Vivio backfires on her in the one way she never expected it to. I like how she even acknowledges at the end that she's completely doomed at this point. In all seriousness, though, this will be interesting to see; Hayate's no longer in any position to try and run away, and Vivio is in the ideal position to try and nudge her along a bit, if she wants to. The question now is, will Vivio want to?

Most excellent start. Is this on FF.net yet?
Hehe, I decided to give Nanoha and Fate a break from their fandom characterization , so I needed a pairing that was even more ambiguous than theirs!

I have seven chapters to play with this situation, hehehe ...

Thanks ^^. No, I was thinking of posting it after I finish all 7 chapters, so that I can back-edit if need . I'll think about it though, and decide depending on how the writing of the next few chapters goes.
Old 2011-06-02, 22:48   Link #31072
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

I could've sworn there was a reference to her being 17... I know there was the part mentioning her snapping at 15, but I was sure she'd grown older after that...
Old 2011-06-02, 22:50   Link #31073
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Huh, Vivio is supposed to be 15? I thought she was older for some reason. Like, she snapped at 15, but didn't say anything to Hayate until she was 17.
Old 2011-06-02, 22:54   Link #31074
deathcurse
Queen of Tragedy

......Now I'll have to go back and double-check @_@. But I'm pretty sure that the only age I mentioned was 15...
Old 2011-06-02, 22:54   Link #31075
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

I already did go back and check, and fifteen was the only age mentioned... so I dunno where I got seventeen from.
Old 2011-06-02, 22:59   Link #31076
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Odd. I thought she was at least 17. I guess it's because of the flow of the story, it makes it feel like time has passed between her outburst and her confession to Hayate.
Old 2011-06-02, 23:03   Link #31077
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Quote:
Yes, I wanted the possible legality of it to strike here too (where I live, 14 is the age of consent , although of course there are fine print and such to be considered). Who actually knows what the Mid-Childan age of consent is? I'll thankfully not hit that issue anytime soon, but it's something I'd have to keep in mind if I keep continuing this series.
Still, Hayate is trying to work her way up in the ranks, and if she does enter a relationship with a minor the scandal would be devastating for her career.
Old 2011-06-02, 23:04   Link #31078
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

... way to provide a girl with ammo, Raiser. :V
Old 2011-06-02, 23:05   Link #31079
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

But then again I already did that with Yuuno/Vivio and we know deathcurse doesn't like doing stuff that's been done Though in mine they chose their careers over the relationship and dc could go the other path and have them choose the relationship over their careers.

Hayate giving up what she's spent years to achieve for the sake of Vivio. Could be bittersweet.
Old 2011-06-02, 23:07   Link #31080
deathcurse
Queen of Tragedy

Quote:
I already did go back and check, and fifteen was the only age mentioned... so I dunno where I got seventeen from.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
Odd. I thought she was at least 17. I guess it's because of the flow of the story, it makes it feel like time has passed between her outburst and her confession to Hayate.
Maybe? I know that when I skim it myself, I get the sense of a passage of time too. It's a good thing to note, I'll make sure to remind the reader of Vivio's age in "Prerogative of the Brave" then.

Quote:
Still, Hayate is trying to work her way up in the ranks, and if she does enter a relationship with a minor the scandal would be devastating for her career.
I had actually considered that as a possibility for Hayate's internal motivation back when I wrote her short, but eventually decided to go with what I did. But it's definitely something to be considered, and likely by Vivio.

Quote:
... way to provide a girl with ammo, Raiser. :V
*Loads and cocks the Tragedy Gun*

EDIT: Ninja'd!
Quote:
But then again I already did that with Yuuno/Vivio and we know deathcurse doesn't like doing stuff that's been done Though in mine they chose their careers over the relationship and dc could go the other path and have them choose the relationship over their careers.

Hayate giving up what she's spent years to achieve for the sake of Vivio. Could be bittersweet.
I didn't know you already did it, good to know. Haven't thought that far yet, and it would likely be a dilemma between my love for tragedy and my romantic nature dueling for the fate of Hayate and Vivio (if they survive "Prerogative of the Brave" .....)

Sounds terribly bittersweet .

Tags
authorshipping, befriending, fanfiction, interactive fanfiction, nanoha