AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2016-02-12, 19:01   Link #3101
Galaxian

Are they finally admiting, the far more teased and evidence heavy than any other pairing, Tai/Matt?

Nah, it's most likely for White Day.
Galaxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-12, 21:01   Link #3102
usaamahahmed101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomaye View Post
Yamato is basically the Sasuke of Digimon. Most girls either like him or acknowledge that he's good looking. Taichi is more like Naruto...so maybe Meiko (who is like Hinata) is the one for him.
I've watched digimon when I was little and thought that matt was a douche since the begining, al he cared about was his little brother.Is his douchiness still present in the movie? does meiko like him as well?I;ve read somewhere on this thread that she has a crush on him, if so I don't want her to settle for tai if thats the case, cuz tai deserves who chooses him first and foremost like hinata atleast. Hinata is a good woman(so much better than sakura)
usaamahahmed101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-12, 21:14   Link #3103
Galaxian

Quote:
Originally Posted by usaamahahmed101 View Post
I've watched digimon when I was little and thought that matt was a douche since the begining, al he cared about was his little brother.
Yeah, Matt even put the other digidestined in danger for TK's sake... Oh wait! That was Tai when Kari got sick...
Old 2016-02-12, 21:33   Link #3104
Bomaye

Quote:
does meiko like him as well?I;ve read somewhere on this thread that she has a crush on him, if so I don't want her to settle for tai if thats the case, cuz tai deserves who chooses him first and foremost like hinata atleast. Hinata is a good woman(so much better than sakura)
That spoiler about Meiko having a crush on Yamato was wrong. If anything, it seems like she's interested in Taichi.
Bomaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-12, 21:57   Link #3105
King-Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxian View Post
Yeah, Matt even put the other digidestined in danger for TK's sake... Oh wait! That was Tai when Kari got sick...
How did he do that again?
King-Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-12, 23:42   Link #3106
usaamahahmed101

Quote:
well tai might have done that but he still tried to do his best for others as wel whereas matt just didnt care about anything but his brother from what i remember
usaamahahmed101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-13, 04:25   Link #3107
Gundamx

Last boss.....?
Gundamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-13, 07:03   Link #3108
Homura7

Such the soft look, one that is normally used to conceal your true colors.
Homura7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-13, 11:50   Link #3109
DMurphy

Quote:
well tai might have done that but he still tried to do his best for others as wel whereas matt just didnt care about anything but his brother from what i remember
Er.

What about that time when Matt spent months (I'm not even kidding, some enterprising fan worked out how long it was) working at a restaurant because Joe had run up a massive debt?

Or when Garurumon first became WereGarurumon specifically to protect Joe?

What about that time when Matt did his best to protect Kari from Myotismon, the most powerful and terrifying Digimon they had faced up to that point?

What about that time when Matt, having just gotten out of the depression cave, went back in to save Sora?

What about when he and Garurumon took point trying to save Agumon from being mind-controlled, even though Agumon was MetalGreymon at the time and they were thus severely outmatched?

What about that time when he saved all of the kids from Puppetmon?

What about when he rushed in to help Tai with Piedmon, even though he could have kept himself and TK out of danger by just staying well away?

Did you ... actually watch the series? Like, any Digimon series?

Also, 'only cares about his little brother' - I mean, that's clearly not true, but even if it was, it wouldn't be unreasonable for him to be mainly concerned with his little brother, who's eight.

Latest Review: Psycho-Pass 2 and Legend of Korra
DMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-13, 12:30   Link #3110
Bomaye

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMurphy View Post
Er.

What about that time when Matt spent months (I'm not even kidding, some enterprising fan worked out how long it was) working at a restaurant because Joe had run up a massive debt?

Or when Garurumon first became WereGarurumon specifically to protect Joe?

What about that time when Matt did his best to protect Kari from Myotismon, the most powerful and terrifying Digimon they had faced up to that point?

What about that time when Matt, having just gotten out of the depression cave, went back in to save Sora?

What about when he and Garurumon took point trying to save Agumon from being mind-controlled, even though Agumon was MetalGreymon at the time and they were thus severely outmatched?

What about that time when he saved all of the kids from Puppetmon?

What about when he rushed in to help Tai with Piedmon, even though he could have kept himself and TK out of danger by just staying well away?

Did you ... actually watch the series? Like, any Digimon series?

Also, 'only cares about his little brother' - I mean, that's clearly not true, but even if it was, it wouldn't be unreasonable for him to be mainly concerned with his little brother, who's eight.

And most of his arguments with Taichi involved the groups safety. Taichi usually was the one to storm ahead without thinking, while Yamato was the one who prefered a safer approach.

I've never watched the english version, so i don't know how Yamato's character was portrayed there. I grew up with the japanese version, where he was very caring. It was just difficult for him to openly show it.
Old 2016-02-13, 12:50   Link #3111
DMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomaye View Post
And most of his arguments with Taichi involved the groups safety. Taichi usually was the one to storm ahead without thinking, while Yamato was the one who prefered a safer approach.

I've never watched the english version, so i don't know how Yamato's character was portrayed there. I grew up with the japanese version, where he was very caring. It was just difficult for him to openly show it.
He's more or less the same in the English version.

I mean, in general, the English dub of Adventure is very good. There are a few things lost in translation, and a few big mistakes made in good faith (the running hints at a Tai/Sora romance has been noted by the dubbers as an honest mistake on their part - they only got the scripts a few episodes in advance, and kind of assumed that there was meant to be a romance between those two, even though there wasn't), but it's definitely one of the more faithful dubs I've ever seen.

Which just makes the whole idea that Yamato doesn't care about anybody else even more confusing.

Old 2016-02-13, 13:07   Link #3112
Bomaye

Quote:
He's more or less the same in the English version.

I mean, in general, the English dub of Adventure is very good. There are a few things lost in translation, and a few big mistakes made in good faith (the running hints at a Tai/Sora romance has been noted by the dubbers as an honest mistake on their part - they only got the scripts a few episodes in advance, and kind of assumed that there was meant to be a romance between those two, even though there wasn't), but it's definitely one of the more faithful dubs I've ever seen.

Which just makes the whole idea that Yamato doesn't care about anybody else even more confusing.
I've heard about the Tai/Sora situation. Was it really that exaggerated?

I can see some viewers getting a wrong impression because of his distant behaviour. But yea, he always cared about the others.
Old 2016-02-13, 13:40   Link #3113
Gundamx

Indeed, Taichi is a lot worse than Yamato, after all, he tried to personally killed them because Tree told him that was best action.
Old 2016-02-13, 14:41   Link #3114
DMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundamx View Post
Indeed, Taichi is a lot worse than Yamato, after all, he tried to personally killed them because Tree told him that was best action.
Leaving aside for the moment that there's zero indication Yamato wanted to kill Taichi and every indication he just wanted to defeat him in a fair fight - it's really not about who's better or worse.

I don't think Taichi's worse than Yamato. I also don't think he's better. They both have critical character flaws that cause trouble for the group at key moments, and they tend to only work well when they're working together. The idea that we have to rank who's better and who's worse strikes me as ridiculous shipping nonsense.

But let's talk about the Evil Cherry Tree extravaganza, because that's a really interesting thing to point out. Let's consider precisely what happened at that point:

Yamato is eleven years old. He has just had it painfully drilled into him that upon leaving the Digiworld, he will be separated from his brother again - remember, at this point, he's only allowed to see Takeru once a year, for a single night, and that's considered modern and liberal by the standards of Japanese families. Also, Hikari's with the group now, and he can see that she and Taichi are close, which is something we know he's insecure about.

He's had all of two minutes of seeing his family together again, including seeing his mother for the first time in years (remember, she says he's grown so tall, she's not seen him for a while), before responsibilities force all of the children to return to the Digital World. There, they are confronted with the absolute and unmitigated failure of everything they have ever tried to do: The Digital World has been conquered, Yamato and Taichi's new powerful Ultimate form Digimon are effortlessly defeated, and they lose three allies in quick succession. Not only that, but they've found out by this point that Digimon aren't being reborn anymore, so as far as they know, they're all dead permanently.

He's also just found out that his crest is the Crest of Friendship, because remember, most of them don't find out what their crests represent until this point, and as with Sora, we can see he's having a bad reaction to that.

Enter Evil Cherry Tree #1. He promises that Yamato can become stronger, something that he desperately needs if he wants to protect anyone, but that Taichi is standing in his way. He implies, snidely and subtly, that Taichi (who represents everything Yamato wants to be but hasn't been allowed to be, in terms of a brother) is dragging his friends and his brother away from him.

Of course he snaps and has a breakdown. He's eleven years old. Also, again, as far as we know he isn't trying to kill Taichi, just defeat him. His goal seems to be to prove that he's better, stronger, more capable, not murder.

He's also not the only one who has a breakdown. Jyou and Mimi both pretty much give up and separate themselves from the group. Hikari suffers a relapse into her chronic illness later on, quite possibly brought on by stress, and Taichi has his own breakdown when she does. That entire arc consists of various characters just breaking under the stress of what they're going through, because they're all small children.

Old 2016-02-13, 14:45   Link #3115
Homura7

Now we are ranting about the digistineds for convenience, afterall all this time, seriously? Stop please, not Taichi neither Yamato are to be blamed for anything they did in the past, when they were just kids.

DMurphy couldn't have explained it better.
Homura7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-13, 14:49   Link #3116
DMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Knight View Post
Now we are ranting about the digistineds for convenience, afterall all this time, seriously? Stop please, not Taichi neither Yamato are to be blamed for anything they did in the past.
It baffles me that anyone would try to blame them. I mean, the thing brought up for Taichi was 'he endangered everyone because Hikari got sick' and - yes? Hikari has been chronically and seriously ill for years? She's eight years old? We know for a fact that said illness was life-threatening at points? He's had it drilled into him that he has to look after her?

I mean, I don't doubt for a second that if it was one of the other kids who was sick and in very real danger of dying, he would've done exactly the same thing, but even if people don't believe that, she's still his sister, and she's still very, very young.

Old 2016-02-14, 02:26   Link #3117
Galaxian

Quote:
It baffles me that anyone would try to blame them. I mean, the thing brought up for Taichi was 'he endangered everyone because Hikari got sick' and - yes? Hikari has been chronically and seriously ill for years? She's eight years old? We know for a fact that said illness was life-threatening at points? He's had it drilled into him that he has to look after her?

I mean, I don't doubt for a second that if it was one of the other kids who was sick and in very real danger of dying, he would've done exactly the same thing, but even if people don't believe that, she's still his sister, and she's still very, very young.
I only brought up the Kari part as a jab at the claim that Matt only cared about TK, because, while TK was his priority throughout most of Adventures, he never engendered the group for his little brother's sake, which is something that can not truthfully be said about Tai.
Old 2016-02-14, 02:55   Link #3118
Gundamx

Quote:
I only brought up the Kari part as a jab at the claim that Matt only cared about TK, because, while TK was his priority throughout most of Adventures, he never engendered the group for his little brother's sake, which is something that can not truthfully be said about Tai.
He want to be best big brother like Taichi > so he fight Taichi to death duel > never engendered the group?

Is Taichi not member of the group?

Matt can replace Taichi easily when he return to human world, yet, he was incapable of doing that.
Old 2016-02-14, 05:08   Link #3119
DMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundamx View Post
He want to be best big brother like Taichi > so he fight Taichi to death duel > never engendered the group?

Is Taichi not member of the group?

Matt can replace Taichi easily when he return to human world, yet, he was incapable of doing that.
Where are you getting the idea that it was to the death? That isn't in the dub or the original, you seem to have just invented that out of whole cloth. If your biggest argument is predicated on something you made up for kicks, you really can't be all that confident in what you're saying.

Also, no, I already told you, when he gets back to the real world, as far as he knows, he'll go back to only seeing Takeru for a single night once a year. This isn't even inference, it's explicitly canon.

Old 2016-02-14, 08:41   Link #3120
Idealist 99

I'm really wishing for another new DigiDestined from Middle school.
Maybe A carefree , energetic and straightforward kid who get excited over everything.
He should also process a mischievous nature and often like to tease or annoy other DigiDestined (Specially Matt).
However He should hide a more mature , serious and competent personality inside his carefree facade and often point out serious clue.
Basically I want A New DigiDestined = Ash Ketchum +Mimi +Conan.

It would be also cool if he also has a major crush on Kari from the beginning but he except that Kari would never chose him over TK so he gives up on her.
His partner should be Huckmon who has serious nature and often lecture him for his carefree personality.
Imagine the chemistry between an Immature DigiDestined and his serious Digimon.

Tags
digimon