AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier - Episode 19 Rating
Perfect 10 39 35.45%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 37 33.64%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 16 14.55%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 9.09%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 2.73%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 1.82%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 2.73%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-08-17, 08:35   Link #301
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

^
Spoiler tag please, as this is the episode NINETEEN thread, not the spoilers/speculations thread.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2008-08-17, 09:05   Link #302
Urei
Star Designer
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanatsusaya View Post
Hey in next ep preview Frontier will be gravely assaulted by the Vajra. Where do you think the Songtress of hope will be instead of preventing it to happen by using her songs? Would she actually just sulk in a corner waiting to be found by Alto and would he say smt like Hikaru did to urge her to sing for the sake of everyone? With a slap preferably.

Sorry Ranka, that's just my speculation
Well, considering all the scenes of Frontier from preview i would say that she could have acted sooner. This is only speculation but if such grave danger occurred Alto wouldn't be the only one persuading her to act.

And wouldn't this scene be a little bit too early?
Old 2008-08-17, 09:18   Link #303
Marina Ismail
<3 Sheryl Saotome
*Artist

This just randomly came to me... I watched the GG sub and Alto said "Sheryl, watch this..." and he made an arrow. I'm thinking he was making the arrow so Sheryl could follow it to the rooftop? Because Ranka saw it and she ran towards the rooftop with out asking anyone where Alto was... just a guess. =/
Old 2008-08-17, 09:51   Link #304
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool
*Fansubber

No, the reason why Alto told Sheryl to come watch him is to see for herself how much her words had inspired him. Back during Sheryl's concert in episode one, Alto tried to pull off an impromptu stunt and ended up causing an accident. This time around, he pulled his stunts off flawlessly, showing how much he'd improved since then.

Back then, Alto was the only person who wasn't impressed by Sheryl's reputation; it was only after he saw how she recovered from the accident that he realized how amazing she was. Sheryl's words about seizing her own destiny in episode three spoke directly to Alto's feelings of helplessness at the time, allowing him to find his own strength.

So that's why, even though Sheryl tries to present her decision to quit singing as a matter of fact thing (as part of the act that she puts on), Alto refuses to accept it. By showing Sheryl how far he's come since their first meeting, Alto hopes that Sheryl will change her mind by realizing that there still is more that she can achieve as a singer.
Old 2008-08-17, 10:04   Link #305
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
^
Spoiler tag please, as this is the episode NINETEEN thread, not the spoilers/speculations thread.
Now, now, donīt be upset.
Old 2008-08-17, 10:07   Link #306
Lostdreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampstorm View Post
No, the reason why Alto told Sheryl to come watch him is to see for herself how much her words had inspired him. Back during Sheryl's concert in episode one, Alto tried to pull off an impromptu stunt and ended up causing an accident. This time around, he pulled his stunts off flawlessly, showing how much he'd improved since then.

Back then, Alto was the only person who wasn't impressed by Sheryl's reputation; it was only after he saw how she recovered from the accident that he realized how amazing she was. Sheryl's words about seizing her own destiny in episode three spoke directly to Alto's feelings of helplessness at the time, allowing him to find his own strength.

So that's why, even though Sheryl tries to present her decision to quit singing as a matter of fact thing (as part of the act that she puts on), Alto refuses to accept it. By showing Sheryl how far he's come since their first meeting, Alto hopes that Sheryl will change her mind by realizing that there still is more that she can achieve as a singer.
somehow those words combined with that siggie are inspiring
Old 2008-08-17, 11:11   Link #307
Zhaozhou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampstorm View Post
This episode, and to a lesser extent, episode seventeen, subverts this character build-up.
It doesn't subvert anything at all. In ep. 5 Ranka started singing only when she saw Alto's paper plane. She was also saying that Alto is the only person that listen to her. It was already obvious that Ranka loved Alto. What you called her "original dream" was not her "exclusive dream" even at the time; ultimately, it may even be a false belief from the start. Even this episode was still ambiguous about it, since it juxtaposed Ranka's words about her previous resolutions with Alto's close-ups, and Ranka ended her train of thoughts just saying "I must make sure".

Quote:
In episode seventeen, Ranka resolves her doubts about becoming Frontier's weapon by asking Alto for his opinion. The problem, however, is that Ranka's decision to throw her support behind the military is based solely on gaining Alto's approval, rather than by discussing how this new role fit in with her original dreams.
Ranka asked for Alto's advice already in ep. 10, and it was never done to gain Alto's approval. Ranka wanted a bit of support, and that means that she already decided she would have done it, she just wanted someone on her side.

Do you really think Ranka could have stop singing when the people of Frontier needs her? And when Grace is such a manipulative bitch that forced her to leave her manager and use a song that was very personal to Ranka?

Quote:
In episode nineteen, by claiming that Alto is her sole reason for singing, Ranka sets aside her original aspirations to sing and share her music for the sake of everyone. The earlier discussion about feminism ties in here, since by casting aside those dreams, Ranka denies herself her own individuality in the process of trying to enter into a relationship with Alto.

But this situation can be considered outside of a gender specific context, as well. In any relationship, there needs to be a balance between your own needs as an individual and the needs of your partnership. Neglecting one for the sake of the other leads to a very one-sided relationship.
Luckily someone noticed that. It's not a problem of feminism when self-realization is a humanly universal issue. There was too much rhetoric in this thread.

An istance of this is an issue that is treated with condescension: "casting aside individuality". What does that mean? Ranka saw Sheryl awfully close to get Alto. Yeah, go pursuing your dream while your love is taken away, your individuality will be full of regrets. Before learning individuality you should learn prioritizing. Maslow in his hierarchy of needs posed love as more important than self-actualization; while he may have not got priorities straight, there was some right in that.

Quote:
The reason that the last scene provokes a response from the viewers is due to dramatic irony. Ranka doesn't understand the reason why Alto and Sheryl are together on the roof, but the audience does. Ranka's situation is sharply contrasted with Sheryl's throughout the episode. So when you finally see them meet on the roof, and Ranka gets upset over the scene that she sees, the viewers tend to react strongly to the sheer incongruity of the situation. It's very overwhelming to watch.
It was not even about reasons. Ranka had high hopes and she was disappointed. The scene was told through her point of view. Some people here can't empathize with Ranka's character, but that's not important, it's not hard to understand how authors wanted to make you feel.

It felt like Greek tragedies. Oedipus killed the king of a country and married the queen, but those acts were perfectly normal at the times. At the end he was damned solely by fate, while he was doing his best. What Ranka is doing is perfectly normal, she is trying her best to pursue her love interest, yet she may not have the means and she could fail even without the presence of a skilled rival like Sheryl.

And you know what? In the next episode Ranka's emotion index may go under zero while in battle because of what happened in this episode. And it's normal. It can't be helped. This is the fascinating side of the drama.
Old 2008-08-17, 12:51   Link #308
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Watched this, loved it, want more of it, but afraid it will run out at this rate!!!!

Now my brain is busting with emotions and i don't think i can express them with words. Still, i need to write something off my head or i won't be able to sleep, for sure.

I accumulated MF for past 3 weeks and watched all tonight. It was just amazing, and obviously Sheryl Nome was the only thing that i can focus my mind on now. All of Vajra, Mecha, Space battle suddenly has became side-story(i enjoyed them all through).
Sheryl's downfall has been so painful to see; and the fact that her rival is not an evil character (even when some described Ranka as such) made the plot even more dramatic. The thought of Ranka-Alto ending made my situation worse, especially consider the change in Ep 1 2008 from Deculture version(as i have justed watch Ep 1 2008 recently).

So the only thing i can do now is wish Sheryl have a strong will to be herself

PS: I found it's interesting how at the start Alto is one among few who do not see her as "Sheryl Nome"(the idol image), and now he is also one of the few, but who can see the "Sheryl Nome" within her

Last edited by risingstar3110; 2008-08-17 at 13:13.
Old 2008-08-17, 13:25   Link #309
MaiHikari

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
I found it's interesting how at the start Alto is one among few who do not see her as "Sheryl Nome"(the idol image), and now he is also one of the few, but who can see the "Sheryl Nome" within her
Spoiler for Alto:
Old 2008-08-17, 13:33   Link #310
nanatsusaya
C.C. & Sheryl worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhaozhou View Post

Do you really think Ranka could have stop singing when the people of Frontier needs her? And when Grace is such a manipulative bitch that forced her to leave her manager and use a song that was very personal to Ranka?
ep20 will answer your question. We will see Frontier being attacked by Vajra, and either Ranka would sulk in a corner with her broken heart or her emotions would go unstable and unable to stop the Vajra.

I'm personally hoping for case 2 so Ranka wouldn't disappoint me more than she already did
Old 2008-08-17, 13:56   Link #311
Urei
Star Designer
*Graphic Designer

I'm not sure she would go this far because of what happened. Then again, she's Ranka. We can aswell expect Minmay Ranka in the next episode.
Old 2008-08-17, 13:59   Link #312
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool
*Fansubber

Quote:
It doesn't subvert anything at all. In ep. 5 Ranka started singing only when she saw Alto's paper plane. She was also saying that Alto is the only person that listen to her. It was already obvious that Ranka loved Alto. What you called her "original dream" was not her "exclusive dream" even at the time; ultimately, it may even be a false belief from the start. Even this episode was still ambiguous about it, since it juxtaposed Ranka's words about her previous resolutions with Alto's close-ups, and Ranka ended her train of thoughts just saying "I must make sure".
Ranka enjoyed singing before she even met Alto. Singing Aimo represented her connection to a past that she couldn't remember, and she aspired to one day become a famous singer just like Sheryl.

Quote:
Ranka asked for Alto's advice already in ep. 10, and it was never done to gain Alto's approval. Ranka wanted a bit of support, and that means that she already decided she would have done it, she just wanted someone on her side.
You can quote any number of earlier times in which Ranka came to Alto for advice, but they differed in the fact that they were about finding the courage to pursue something that Ranka knew she wanted to do.

The question with episode seventeen was not about finding the courage to become Frontier's weapon, but rather whether it was alright to use her song in that way. Ranka initially had reservations about doing it, and was in low spirits. In order to resolve these doubts, she needed to address whether this new role fit in with her dreams, and to decide whether she really believed in it.

Let's take a look at the dialogue. Ranka is initially downcast, and asks Alto "Is it alright?" In response, Alto acknowledges "That's what I think, at least." Instantaneously, you see a change in her demeanor. Rather than seeing whether this is something that she wants to do, Ranka only looks to see if this is something that Alto would want her to do. That's why she starts to run into problems in this episode.

Quote:
Well, moralizing aside, we can't condemn Ranka for not wanting to become Frontier's weapon if that's what she had decided to do. But every decision has its consequence.

Had Ranka decided that she wanted to help the people of Frontier as part of her original goal to leave a mark on society, then that would be in keeping with her goals. Had she decided to help the people of Frontier because she would feel guilty if she didn't do something for them, then even that allows her to attend to her needs as an individual. But because she based her decision on what she thought Alto would want her to do, she ended up in a situation where she doesn't really enjoy what she's doing.

On one hand, she just wants to build a relationship with Alto. On the other, she has this additional responsiblity that she's taken on to sing for the sake of the people. These two things are not mutually exclusive, but she's no longer in a position where it would be appropriate for her to neglect one for the sake of the other. That's the crux of the problem.

Quote:
Luckily someone noticed that. It's not a problem of feminism when self-realization is a humanly universal issue. There was too much rhetoric in this thread.
Yes and no. The scenes are presented in a gender specific context, so it's inappropriate to forbid discussion on gender issues.

The reason why I generalized the situation is because it's much easier for many people (myself included) to relate to this problem if it's presented in a gender independent fashion.

As for rhetoric... even the act of you pointing this out is rhetoric in itself. It doesn't matter what your agenda is; the only things that matter are your points and how you argue them.

Quote:
An istance of this is an issue that is treated with condescension: "casting aside individuality". What does that mean? Ranka saw Sheryl awfully close to get Alto. Yeah, go pursuing your dream while your love is taken away, your individuality will be full of regrets.
These two things are not mutually exclusive. Ranka can retain her individuality, and pursue a relationship with Alto at the same time.

Quote:
Before learning individuality you should learn prioritizing. Maslow in his hierarchy of needs posed love as more important than self-actualization; while he may have not got priorities straight, there was some right in that.
Maslow wasn't laying down a doctorine on how we "should" prioritize our needs; he was laying out a system describing how people tend to prioritize their needs.

If you try to conciously make decisions using Maslow's hierarchy of needs, it might result in something like "Hmm... I really do want to overcome my poor self-esteem, but Maslow's triangle tells me that it's more important just to have sex."

Quote:
It was not even about reasons. Ranka had high hopes and she was disappointed. The scene was told through her point of view. Some people here can't empathize with Ranka's character, but that's not important, it's not hard to understand how authors wanted to make you feel.
It's inappropiate to talk about POV in the absence of a narrator, and we can't presume to know the writers' intentions.

Quote:
It felt like Greek tragedies. Oedipus killed the king of a country and married the queen, but those acts were perfectly normal at the times. At the end he was damned solely by fate, while he was doing his best. What Ranka is doing is perfectly normal, she is trying her best to pursue her love interest, yet she may not have the means and she could fail even without the presence of a skilled rival like Sheryl.
I don't understand the parallel. Oedipus wasn't damned by fate; he was damned by his hubris. But that's another issue altogether.

The irony of the scene is that for all intents and purposes, Ranka has won out. She's reached the top of the music world, and her rival is dying. The conversation on the rooftop between Alto and Sheryl isn't about romance; it's simply about Sheryl telling Alto the truth about her impending death. It is this moment that Ranka stumbles upon and misinterprets.

The love triangle has destabilized.
Old 2008-08-17, 16:19   Link #313
Wesley84

So, Klan's naked in the preview. I'd hate to think she's desperately baring all to Mikhail, but given how whiny she's been lately, she might just give up on things like dignity or pride just to have a shot at him. I'd like to think manipulative crap is beneath her so I really hope it's not the case.
Old 2008-08-17, 16:30   Link #314
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Izayoi
OMAGAD GO TO HELL, I am dropping this series if Ranka loses. For sure!
Old 2008-08-17, 16:35   Link #315
Darial
Otaku in disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izayoi View Post
Idle threat. By the time Kawamori gives us the ending, the series is over anyways. So there's nothing left to drop. Of course, this applies to us Sheryl shippers too, so don't feel too bad about it.
Old 2008-08-17, 17:20   Link #316
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izayoi View Post
We won't miss you.
Old 2008-08-17, 17:45   Link #317
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darial View Post
Idle threat. By the time Kawamori gives us the ending, the series is over anyways. So there's nothing left to drop.
When sarcasm being missed, clean the caches till there is nothing left.

[quote removed by a moderator]

Last edited by Skyfall; 2008-08-17 at 18:52.
Old 2008-08-17, 18:51   Link #318
Wesley84

One in three chance the Dimension Eaters mutate the Vajra so drastically that even Ranka won't get through to them.
Old 2008-08-17, 19:01   Link #319
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
One in three chance the Dimension Eaters mutate the Vajra so drastically that even Ranka won't get through to them.
Probably not, Ranka is one of the so called "important character with important property." While Vajra right now is not the major conflict, don't think there will be much development on it as to resist the song. But who knows what the writer will do. Good point anyways.
Old 2008-08-17, 19:09   Link #320
Haesslich
Go to DMC! Go to DMC!

My response to the shippers is this:

Alto dies. Sheryl dies. Ranka doesn't die, but both Brera and Ozma die.

There - triangle solved.

Now, I'm curious as to what'll happen to SMS if Leon gets to take over Frontier... and whether this is when Ozma and a bunch of other people order pineapple salad to-go (to hell). Perhaps the takeover is the 'stick' that Grace was mentioning in Episode 17 with regards to training Ranka.
Closed Thread