AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-10-08, 02:10   Link #321
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Actually, this whole series reminds me of the ridiculousness I'd get up to in Warship Gunner. I really ought to dig up that game and play it again...

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-08, 02:14   Link #322
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaspot View Post
So how do they restock their missiles? 'magic'?
Ballistic weapons used by Fog vessels are made via nanomaterial (which the ships are made of really). In a pinch, they can actually cannibalize their superstructure to make them, but generally they will have to dock to replenish their nanomaterial supplies.

I noticed that they pretty much cut out a MAJOR plot point, and if they summarily killed off Gunzou's mom as well, that's ANOTHER one too ("Sons are boring. It would have been nice if I had a daughter instead.").
Old 2013-10-08, 02:22   Link #323
ZabiLegacy
Robo Rampage

Yeah the bit with Yamato's disapearance was an eye opener. the reality is that they have twelve episodes to stuff this into. The manga isn't even done yet. And the staff making the series are incompetent. There is no way this won't end in a train wreck (shipwreck?)
Old 2013-10-08, 02:26   Link #324
Eclipze

Nanomachines for everything?

Totally reminds me of MGS4.
Eclipze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-08, 02:30   Link #325
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipze View Post

Only for the Fog. Humanity's scientists have still no idea WHAT it is, or how it works, as its just like grey sand in composition when inert.

ZabiLegacy: Actually the thing about Yamato only becomes relevant later on, however the important part was CONNECTED to that, but so far... Nothing. The context is all different now, especially with the Academy apparently intact. Kind of an odd decision, if you ask me, especially with the mention of Admiralty Code.

Last edited by Myssa Rei; 2013-10-08 at 02:41.
Myssa Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-08, 03:46   Link #326
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Maybe they'll string things to a point where they can wrapup and then come back for another season after the manga gets further ahead. I mean, at this point, it's 4 years and the manga is only what, 48 chapters long? That's what High School DxD has been doing; 12 eps to adapt about 3-4 novels, end at a point and leave it open enough to come back for another round.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-08, 03:52   Link #327
MartianMage

Well for someone like me who has watched Strike Witches S1/S2 and GuP... I just can't stand this one. It's probably the animation... yeah dropping this now x_X
Kyubey: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.
Homura: Your words are as empty as your soul! Lolis ill-needs a savior such as you!
Kyubey: What is a loli? A miserable little pile of moe! But enough talk...have at you!
MartianMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-08, 04:06   Link #328
Amario

Found the first episode decent although the animation with CG when it came to the shields and such to be off. But nonetheless liked it so far will continue to watch it.
Amario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-08, 04:28   Link #329
ZabiLegacy
Robo Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Maybe they'll string things to a point where they can wrapup and then come back for another season after the manga gets further ahead. I mean, at this point, it's 4 years and the manga is only what, 48 chapters long? That's what High School DxD has been doing; 12 eps to adapt about 3-4 novels, end at a point and leave it open enough to come back for another round.
Maybe, but DxD is super heap to produce and sells very well. Something tells me this series isn't exactly going to be a huge successes. And those 3-4 novels have stories that can be easily adapted into an anime. This? It's not really written in a way conductive to anime, and it comes with a myriad of anime adaption issues/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
ZabiLegacy: Actually the thing about Yamato only becomes relevant later on, however the important part was CONNECTED to that, but so far... Nothing. The context is all different now, especially with the Academy apparently intact. Kind of an odd decision, if you ask me, especially with the mention of Admiralty Code.
I honestly have no idea what they are planning to do with the central plot. Either it won't have an ending, or it will have the strangest gecko ending ever.
Old 2013-10-08, 04:39   Link #330
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranhieu View Post
It was pretty good and enjoyable to watch. Character design was quite a turn off but it gets better once I got used to it. The battle scenes were handled very well even though the ships still looked kinda plastic-y. All in all it's not like the downside of using 3DCG hasn't been mentioned before so I knew what I was waiting for, and the studio exceeded my expectations.

Story wise, my only gripes are:

- Gunzou seems clueless and spontaneous here, not the same mature and composed Gunzou we know in the manga. It was a bit of a letdown to see him fretting when Iona was being chased by the Aegis. That and when he enthusiastically accepted the deal of transporting the warhead without carefully weighting the pros and cons before making the decision really portrays him differently from what I expected.

- Is it just me or Iona's voice is a bit too moe here? Yuuki Aoi did a better job in the drama cd.
See! Finaly someone who doesn't disagree with me about Iona voice. And I agree about Gunzou as well.
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-08, 06:36   Link #331
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

their movement was not too fluid, that's about the only flaw I could see, and its a minor one.

from what I've read, this looks to be a serious series, and here I was expecting that captain to build a harem/fleet out of heroines/battleships

this looks very interesting, I'll keep watching it.
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-08, 06:41   Link #332
NutShell

1st ep
what the hell i see
great cg battle
keep watch this
NutShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-08, 06:45   Link #333
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Damm. I was late. Oh well.
I'll take Iona.
Old 2013-10-08, 07:15   Link #334
erika4dsl

Boring. There was something stale about it.
It's only the first episode, but eh I'm dropping this anime.
erika4dsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-08, 07:32   Link #335
bastek66

Aside eyecancer CGI, kinda boring. But after reading what they changed - IT'S SHIT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Classic shounen is classic.
Source material is seinen.
Seinen is not a genre. It's demography of manga and light novels.
Old 2013-10-08, 07:55   Link #336
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Seeing everybody’s complaints about the look of the characters really makes me want to say “I told you so. I’ve been dreading the Cel-shading since the first time I saw the first promotional art of Ars Nova. 2D characters >>> Cel-shaded characters anytime (at least for now).

Anyway, for the series itself, I also agree with everything ZabiLegacy said. As for the good parts of this episode, I love the OP song, the VAs did a good job, and the animation (except the cel-shading characters) are awesome. The anime-original materials are cool. The little changes they made fit what a first episode should do (that is, explain the basics and give purpose to the main characters). Yamato wasn’t there is understandable from a 12-episode adaptation’s POV, but I’m gonna be pissed if they killed Gunzou’s mom.

All in all, I enjoy it for what it is: a generic Kishi Seiji adaptation. Man, you really can’t hope for greatness from that dude. It’s only the first episode yet I already want a reboot someday in the future (when the manga is over) with excellent 2D characters and better script than what we got now.
Old 2013-10-08, 08:00   Link #337
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipze View Post

Don't remember if it's covered in the anime or not, but Iona only has limited number of Torpedoes, and that's why every battle feels like on edge because they have to fight balancing between dead threat and ammunition.
Old 2013-10-08, 08:19   Link #338
Tranhieu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
See! Finaly someone who doesn't disagree with me about Iona voice. And I agree about Gunzou as well.
Glad to see someone else having the same thought! It bugged me a bit throughout the episode since that kind of voice fits another certain submarine, not Iona.
Tranhieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-08, 09:08   Link #339
AkitoW013

Dammit, I wanted Iona.

I'll take Haruna, thanks RRW !
AkitoW013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-08, 09:18   Link #340
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

The CG is yucky, but the bigger problem for me is that this is about as lifeless and listless a show as Kishi and Uezu have ever done. I like them even acknowledging they do screw up, but their screw-ups are generally doing too much, not too little.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action-adventure, alternate history, battleships, cgi, military science fiction