AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-05-22, 00:40   Link #341
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Alright, Origami episode, and a Dragon Kid one right after.

I really liked the flashback about Edward and how he screwed up trying to do the right thing. It's strange that he'd ended up imprisoned due to murder though, since from what I've seen he accidentally killed the women, so I would have figured it would be manslaughter (or the judge didn't go easy on him because he also broke the law and used his power) Anyway, he ended up growing up into someone filled with a lot of (unreasonable) hate towards Ivan, though hopefully he might be moving on now.

Really strange how Tiger ended up being more popular than someone else this episode w

The fight with Lunatic this time was less impressive than the previous Bunny vs. Loony (I'm finding myself warming up to the CG) though it's interesting how he keeps eluding on the question whether he's with the Ouroboros or not.

Maybe he's just crazy and just messing around with them. In any case, Bunny is likely to ignore him from now on, and Loony Judge seems to have his eye on Tiger, so expecting a clash between a traditionalist view on justice verses a 90's comics view on the issue (Captain America vs. Punisher apparently)

Should be fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
Spoiler for episode 8:
I thought it was odd how a lot of those powers seem to involve stretching ...
Old 2011-05-22, 03:36   Link #342
TrueKnight

Ep 8, good episode once again. This show manage to be consistent with every ep. Sunrise is really giving us a treat here.

On the episode itself, Origami’s happens to be a total wuss and being emo all the time, which is suck. I was expecting him to be badass ninja or something but turns out an emo reject.

There are lots of funny moments in the ep, like the hero concepts. Barnaby is about collecting points, Tiger is about saving people, while Origami is appealing the sponsors, I was like wtf lmao. Most of the students having kind of worthless supowerpowers are amusing, kinda feel bad with Tiger to put up with all of them. Another interesting point is that the academy doesn’t seem limiting the applicants only to kids, but also open them to adults as long as they are NEXTs capable.

The corporate dudes at the starts being also good guys is also refreshing (not like the evil corporation masterminding behind the scenes). Their version of justice seems supporting the idea on criminals getting fair trials and rehabilitation through imprisonment, not just blind capital punishment like deatch sentence.

Finally Lunatic gets my vote as the favourite hero. His flames and outfits are just badass. His version of dark justice is also intriguing/attractive to say the least, killing criminals/murderers at bay and on sight. Interesting how this clash of ideals between him and Tiger will end in the future. Lunatic not being connected with Ouroboros will give as a third party perspective on the fights between the good guys and Ouroboros later on, heck he’ll probably ended up helping Tiger and gang later on.

Next ep, how to make a baby happy, Dragon Kid style.
TrueKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-22, 05:08   Link #343
playmaker2k
Nishikino Maki (* ̄▽ ̄*)

Another good episode of T&B, I like how Tiger came in to save Ivan and his friend with his super speed. He even took a hit for Bunny and cracked Lunatic's mask. The best part was the verbal clash of ideals between Kotetsu and Judge Loon. Like Arabesque quoted, it's like Cap and Punisher...very Civil War. For a moment back in ep. 7, when Tiger had Lunatic tied up as they debated it kinda looked like Batman and Joker. Anyways, next episode has the Dragon Kid. I already like her. When she went on and sniffed her finger like that in the preview...that was all I needed to see to put her on my fav list.
playmaker2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-22, 07:07   Link #344
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Spoiler for ep 8:
Old 2011-05-22, 07:15   Link #345
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post

I really liked the flashback about Edward and how he screwed up trying to do the right thing. It's strange that he'd ended up imprisoned due to murder though, since from what I've seen he accidentally killed the women, so I would have figured it would be manslaughter (or the judge didn't go easy on him because he also broke the law and used his power) Anyway, he ended up growing up into someone filled with a lot of (unreasonable) hate towards Ivan, though hopefully he might be moving on now.
Judge Dread Yuri "I am the Law" would be that judge.

Interesting Kotetsu didn't graduate in that school or he didn't enroll at all in any hero school. Could he had been a freelancer?

We also saw a very public retired hero as commentator, Stealth Soldier. Older than Kotetsu it seems.

Again Kotetsu is showing he is the mentor of the next generation. Karina and Ivan had their doubts. Tony had his insecurity. Kotetsu set them straight. Barnaby is slowly learning. I can see why Mr. Maverick hired Kotetsu to be Barnaby's partner. It is to mentor Barnaby.

What would Kotetsu teach Pao Lin next week. From her profile she's a true believer like Kotetsu.

The problem I see is that Kotetsu may be a great dad to everybody else his daughter on the other hand is lacking quality time with him.

Those in Hero school loved him though. He'd make a great Coach when he retires. Future heroes would aim for the top.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-22, 07:19   Link #346
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurkeyPotPie View Post
Just got caught up to episode 7 and wow, the animators really turned up the fan service on Blue Rose. Her crush on Kotetsu might be cute, but yeah, 15+ years is a huge gap when one of the two is in high school. That gap's not a huge deal later in life, but the difference in mentality between a high schooler and a guy in his thirties is big (or should be).

Firstly, we're not talking about high schooler but Karina. Karina is not an ordinary high schooler since she's an heroe. It's obvious that she's much more mature than her friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dann of Thursday View Post
I'm going to laugh if Background Girl ends up being no one important, but the weird way she keeps showing up probably says otherwise.
She's Ouroboros's leader

Btw, If Kotestu didn't graduate from this school, it's, I think, because this school didn't exist back then. I'm sure than Bison and Tiger are from an era where they were no shcools for that and where it was the beginning of heroes. For me, those two are older than the other heroes.
Old 2011-05-22, 09:31   Link #347
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes

It seems that part of the Hero Academy mission plan is just helping NEXT control their powers and feel better about themselves. The Academy is nod to the Xavier Institute of Higher Learning. Not everyone there is going to become a super hero. Funny how a lot of them have absolutely useless or lame powers just like mutants in Marvel.

Origami is weak in a fight but his powers would be very useful if the heroes were to work as team. . . a super hero team. He just needs to infiltrate and rely on hand to hand in order to save the day.

The background girl is probably going to become a super hero girlfriend or she may already be a hero girlfriend. She's an inside joke on the perpetual damsel in distress. When did she show up? Is she in every episode or just getting kidnapped? I didn't catch her this time.

Mr. Maverick showed off his goober side. The problem wasn't Lunatic, it was his ideals... his heavy handed vigilante brand of homicidal justice.

Duh. Kotetsu wouldn't go to a super hero school. He's old school. He learned his craft on the streets, beating up thugs.

Anyhow, you know what would be more interest than Agnes being Kotetsu's ex? Kotetsu's ex being a super villain or a homicidal vigilante in their worlds Arkham Asylum.
mechalord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-22, 09:53   Link #348
TrueKnight

^ Kotetsu didn’t need to go to hero school. All he needed when he’s a kid was a tv showing how Mr. Legend royally kicked several badguy’s asses and there you have it, lesson from the badass legend himself. I bet Kotetsu also replicate his Tiger cape crusader outfit from Mr. Legend.

And agree on the background girl. You know seeing the background girl showed up several times made me couldn’t help but to speculate on her role, a hero’s girlfriend? Is she actually Lunatic’s daughter or something? There’s gotta be something on her, seeing Sunrise made her appear on occationaly. Or as somebody said, not being significant at all and Sunrise is just trolling with us.

This is also a wild guess, but seeing Albert Maverick, I couldn’t help but to also think he had connections with Mr. Legend, or actually being Legend himself. Yea I know it’s far fetched, but you never know...
TrueKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-22, 12:11   Link #349
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechalord View Post
The background girl is probably going to become a super hero girlfriend or she may already be a hero girlfriend. She's an inside joke on the perpetual damsel in distress. When did she show up? Is she in every episode or just getting kidnapped? I didn't catch her this time.
She showed up towards the beginning, helping the superheroes pick up trash. I honestly think she's just an in-joke with the animators ("see if you can spot her in every episode!") but it would be really funny if she turned out to be something more (a crazed superfan who stalks all the heroes? A regular actress who does a lot of publicity stunts with the heroes? Someone with really random luck who keeps running into them?).
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-22, 13:11   Link #350
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
Okay, that was without a doubt my favorite episode out of the consistently strong string of episodes so far. We got world building in showing the Hero Academy, and it's great to see how...varying the range of NEXT powers are. We got backstory and characterisation for Ivan who has always been in the background, as well as his former friend. Sure, he's a bit too negative, but at least there's something there and the end of the ep he's becoming much more optimistic, thanks to Tiger's word of advice (good job for Tiger there, not only convincing Ivan but even Barnaby at the end).

But what this episode does best is highlighting the different viewpoints and beliefs from each character about justice and being a hero. The teaching moments shows how each character thinks the most important aspect of superheroing in that world entails, and the clash of ideology between Tiger and Lunatic with their fight. Also, for a name like lunatic, he's not completely off his rockers - he at least stick to his word of killing murderers and not hero, although he's very strict in who should be killed. The Punisher comparison is apt indeed, or pretty much any anti-heroes from the 90s.

It even manages to further the plot, showing Barnaby developing even further trust in Tiger (really, no goggles necessary) and learning that his lead for Ouroboros has went cold again. The action is also good, with some comedy still present (it's simple, but I lol'd at Tiger being unable to remove his sash). Really, I rate this one 10/10.
Old 2011-05-22, 14:09   Link #351
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple

Episode 8 was fun, classic hero vs anti-villain.

That said, I look forward to next episode more, really interested in seeing Dragon Kid since she has gotten the least spot-light.
Old 2011-05-22, 19:43   Link #352
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Origami's power is more useful for information gathering imo
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-23, 01:04   Link #353
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.

I think Origami power is really powerful. His power is lile Mystique's one. He can do many thing with it : Spying, killing etc...So, it's really a great power but it doesn't fit at all with this big tv show. He should be hired by some secret organization or something like that.
Old 2011-05-23, 01:24   Link #354
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple

Yeah, his ability is honestly amazing but being a costumed superhero on tv really detracts from its usefulness.
Old 2011-05-23, 06:57   Link #355
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
why do i get the feeling that there will be tons of Ivan X Edward related artworks (including the ew.... nasty ones) flooding the web after ep 8?
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-23, 10:28   Link #356
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

What background girl are you guys talking about?

Now I'm curious.

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Master Chibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-23, 10:36   Link #357
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post
What background girl are you guys talking about?

Now I'm curious.
The girl whom Kotetsu bumps into during Barnaby's B-day. The same girl who was a hostage that Blue Rose saved partnered with Tiger.

She showed up again in the latest ep picking trash with the heroes.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-23, 21:17   Link #358
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
The girl whom Kotetsu bumps into during Barnaby's B-day. The same girl who was a hostage that Blue Rose saved partnered with Tiger.

She showed up again in the latest ep picking trash with the heroes.
She wears a long skirt, green coat, scarf... dresses like a high school drama teacher. She's in the same scene as Rock Bison, right behind him.

Anyhow, Tiger's combat abilities should be noted. He's pretty much the only one who can lay a hand on Lunatic.
mechalord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-23, 22:34   Link #359
Jeffry2009
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Jeffry2009 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffry2009

For those of you who haven't seen it yet, here's the cover of the Japanese magazine Tv Bros featuring our heroes! It was drawn by the manga artist Masakazu Katsura, who is also the character designer for T&B.
Jeffry2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-23, 23:28   Link #360
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Origami's power is actually very useful in the right situation. Some solid Marvel supervillains have had good careers with that type of power. SpiderMan villain Chameleon is basically identical to Origami here, IIRC, and he's given Spidey all sorts of problems.

However, it can be a tricky power for a superhero because it relies on trickery more than on facing your opponent upfront, and that might not be the image of a hero that the sponsors want to go for, lol.

Origami might actually be better off as a superspy than a hero, imo.

Anyway, Tiger and Bunny continues to get better and better with every passing episode. This one had some excellent world building as others have alluded to.

I also like this anime's interpretation of how superpowers would play out in the real world. I think it's a pretty realistic take, actually.

I like how the corporate guys behind Hero TV aren't the usual shady corporate crooks, but rather honest and reasonable businessmen. That's how they come off to me anyway.

Love the philosophical conflict between Tiger and Lunatic. I actually think it's an improvement over the same sort of conflict between Spidey and the Punisher. It helps that, unlike Punisher, Lunatic has actual powers, putting him on (at least) even footing with Tiger when the two come to blows.

Tags
mecha, sunrise, tiger & bunny, tsundere