AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

View Poll Results: To Aru Majutsu no Index LN - New Testament Volume 10 Rating
Perfect 10 44 33.59%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 58 44.27%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 16 12.21%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 5.34%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.53%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 4 3.05%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2014-05-21, 08:08   Link #3701
mark1246

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyHunter View Post
They were planning to defeat Touma without hurting him too much since they had an idea of what went down between Touma and Othinus but then Touma hit their jealously button by mentioning the fight with Mikoto and Birdway decided to use her trump card: Little Gungnir, created refining the properties of Gungnir as a thrown weapon that could be used only once. They thought that using the weapon of a god was their only sure shot of killing a magic god. However they didn't know what happens when you throw Gungnir (only Touma and Othinus know so far).

As we don't see Birdway use Little Gungnir we don't know if it would cause the destruction of the world like with the real Gungnir Othinus used. Going by common sense it would be nerfed but still cause ridiculous amounts of destruction; not something you would use on a single person a few meters away from you.
Ok so for sure they wanted to kill othinus, damn index you were really cold to let that happen. But thanks man for explaining it, was a big help, can't believe we're almost done, seem like a short volume through out this trip of a novel
mark1246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-21, 08:08   Link #3702
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by desrtsku View Post
Why are all the 'good' guys in this series so horrendously violent? I swear to Aleister.
Since when is Sylvia even remotely "good" in any sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraluka View Post
To b honest Othinus didn't move me but Silvia who was full Kratos on Touma, she lost her cool thanks to witnessing what happened to Ollerus.
Of course. Her boy toy is no longer so powerful now so she must rip some kid apart out of pique, despite the fact that said boy toy coming out alive from that fight at all is a win of itself....right...

Last edited by Cosmic Eagle; 2014-05-21 at 09:28.
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-21, 08:10   Link #3703
Verrueckter
Sarcastic Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
Thinking about it now... Touma is likely the only person in history who went from having killed 0 people to killing 6 billion people immediately, and still trying to be a good guy. That's still pretty hard on him. That sense of responsibility must be nuts. You never killed until that moment... That's tough.
However, since fighting Misaka he no longer has to carry that weight. She has changed his perspective on that "sin".
Verrueckter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-21, 08:42   Link #3704
The One Above God
Kamijou

Will we get a double chapter tomorrow? no? okay...
It would be really great if we get another double chapter tomorrow though..

"I'll destroy that illusion!"
The One Above God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-21, 09:06   Link #3705
Atrum023
Eternal Silence

Quote:
They were planning to defeat Touma without hurting him too much since they had an idea of what went down between Touma and Othinus but then Touma hit their jealously button by mentioning the fight with Mikoto and Birdway decided to use her trump card: Little Gungnir, created refining the properties of Gungnir as a thrown weapon that could be used only once. They thought that using the weapon of a god was their only sure shot of killing a magic god. However they didn't know what happens when you throw Gungnir (only Touma and Othinus know so far).

As we don't see Birdway use Little Gungnir we don't know if it would cause the destruction of the world like with the real Gungnir Othinus used. Going by common sense it would be nerfed but still cause ridiculous amounts of destruction; not something you would use on a single person a few meters away from you.
Actually, I wasn't too sure about the whole replicating the effect of the Real Gungnir thing. From what was mentioned, it was true they had absolutely no idea what throwing Gungnir would do, but from Birdway's thoughts as mentioned here:
Quote:
(Othinus and the boy both know how far a magic god can go, so I just have to draw it out of them. I can’t reproduce the gods or their weapons, but if I can draw the phenomenon of destruction from their heads, I’ll have the means to kill one.)
It seems like Birdway was invoking the memories of the two (Touma and Othinus) who had witnessed the effect of Gungnir purposely so that she could replicate it. Without that memory, her Gungnir wouldn't be able to do anything.

...is what I thought. I could be wrong.
Old 2014-05-21, 09:23   Link #3706
LazyHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrum023 View Post
Actually, I wasn't too sure about the whole replicating the effect of the Real Gungnir thing. From what was mentioned, it was true they had absolutely no idea what throwing Gungnir would do, but from Birdway's thoughts as mentioned here:

It seems like Birdway was invoking the memories of the two (Touma and Othinus) who had witnessed the effect of Gungnir purposely so that she could replicate it. Without that memory, her Gungnir wouldn't be able to do anything.

...is what I thought. I could be wrong.
Yes it could be a bluff and without that memory the spear might have been useless but even so she wanted to use that to imitate the destruction phenomenon of a thrown Gungnir to kill Othinus.
Spoiler for Little Gungnir:
Maybe if Othinus or Touma believed the spear had the same power as Gungnir it would have gained that power. Since it wasn't used who knows?
LazyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-21, 10:34   Link #3707
LG-MAX 2.o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verrueckter View Post
However, since fighting Misaka he no longer has to carry that weight. She has changed his perspective on that "sin".
Touma will always carry this sin, Mikoto can not erase the sins of others, as well Touma can not erase sins her, what she did was help him at to accept this of a way better.
LG-MAX 2.o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-21, 10:42   Link #3708
Miraluka
Banned

Even with Silvia being this vengeful, what she did was nice compared to what White Cosmos did to Saffron Blossom and Chrome Falcon from Accel World(;___; )

Quote:
Originally Posted by runset View Post
This is where we can see touma's growth. It's true that he cannot do anything to stop a saint's attack nor wins againts her. At least his endurance leveled up way too much if we compared when he faced acqua for the first time. In the past he quickly get knocked out by acqua'a attack and this time he can withstand a relentless brutal attack from silvia while retaining his consciousness.
Actually, Silvia didn't want Touma to lose his consciousness.

Quote:

Extremely good Othinus moments on the chapter and Ollerus shows his guts in sacrificing his arms to KO two Saints (which is similar as to how Kanzaki KO Knight Leader by running into him). Ollerus was also smart enough to realize killing one of them would make the other very very mad.
And kind, think about this:

- Ollerus didn't want one of them having a severe change which leads to the question, Why don't just kill both?

He just lied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
But both of them are always very focused on their goals, and also are aware of their surroundings. They always help others even if someone else is in trouble.
I can't see them blindly massacring people to save someone. That would probably be more of a former Knight Leader, or former Princess Carissa, or an Accelerator thing to do. That also might have been emphasized mainly to point out that Othinus was really strong at that time, rather than over ambitious, though I'm sure it's still somewhat true.
Tell that to the Orlean Knights(all of them slaughtered to save a single girl) .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Since when is Sylvia even remotely "good" in any sense?
She is a saint, they're good by nature, just look how she worked to help about 100 homeless kids Ollerus brought to home.

The issue here is, the saints methods varies and Othinus messed up with her Ollerus, pushing the wrong button on Silvia.

Quote:
Of course. Her boy toy is no longer so powerful now so she must rip some kid apart out of pique, despite the fact that said boy toy coming out alive from that fight at all is a win of itself....right...
I'm twisting this but what would you(and other people) think of this chapter if Silvia was pregnant of Ollerus?

Last edited by Miraluka; 2014-05-21 at 10:54.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-21, 10:46   Link #3709
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:

She is a saint, they're good by nature, just look how she worked to help about 100 homeless kids Ollerus brought to home.

The issue here is, the saints methods varies and Othinus messed up with her Ollerus, pushing the wrong button on Silvia.

I'm twisting this but what would you(and other people) think of this chapter if Silvia was pregnant of Ollerus?
She is a saint means she has Jesus body. Not whether she is good or not

Makes no difference. ollerus is alive. No reason to kill a kid over him getting fairy-ed

The great difference between Brynhilde and her is that Brynhilde does not overkill or take pleasure in as she puts it..."games"...Sylvia OTOH is a nutjob
Old 2014-05-21, 10:50   Link #3710
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
She is a saint means she has Jesus body. Not whether she is good or not

Makes no difference. ollerus is alive. No reason to kill a kid over him getting fairy-ed
I think you're missing how saints are described in this series aside from their bodily characteristics.

Are you sure? Isn't that similar to saying hurting people but letting it go because they're alive is fine? I don't think many agree on this view.

About Brunhild, no, didn't you notice she said that she didn't want to join her fun but not stop it? Why? Because what she did to the Norse cabals she slaughtered is no different, they're more similar than a first glance tells.
Old 2014-05-21, 10:55   Link #3711
Ravagerblade
The Fearless

Quote:
I think you're missing how saints are described in this series aside from their bodily characteristics.

Are you sure? Isn't that similar to saying hurting people but letting it go because they're alive is fine? I don't think many agree on this view.
Just because they have the power of the son of god doesn't mean they're automatically good people. They are individuals who have their own goals and motivations.

“No, I don’t get it at all. I may claim to ‘understand’ Othinus, but I only know her as a girl. I don’t understand anything when it comes to her being a Magic God.” - Touma NT13
Ravagerblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-21, 11:00   Link #3712
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravagerblade View Post
Just because they have the power of the son of god doesn't mean they're automatically good people. They are individuals who have their own goals and motivations.
True, but see how the saints from the series are so far, all of them are good will persons... until something makes them snap.
Old 2014-05-21, 11:03   Link #3713
Ravagerblade
The Fearless

Quote:
True, but see how the saints from the series are so far, all of them are good will persons... until something makes them snap.
could be, or they're just like Solf J. Kimblee. A façade. we don't know much about some of them to truly make a call.

“No, I don’t get it at all. I may claim to ‘understand’ Othinus, but I only know her as a girl. I don’t understand anything when it comes to her being a Magic God.” - Touma NT13
Old 2014-05-21, 11:05   Link #3714
dragon1412

Quote:

About Brunhild, no, didn't you notice she said that she didn't want to join her fun but not stop it? Why? Because what she did to the Norse cabals she slaughtered is no different, they're more similar than a first glance tells.
TBH, i think what Cosmic eagle said is correct, what's the saint have is the body similar to the son of god, their personalities is not part of the equation. while it's true that their anger is legitimate, Sylvia is just plain nuts.
dragon1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-21, 11:05   Link #3715
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

Quote:
But in that sense, both sides are part of them and equally count. Planning to torture the living shit out of a boy to death while making the partner watch, no matter the classification, is more twisted than good-will. It depends, really.
ACertainStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-21, 11:10   Link #3716
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:

They are described like everything else. People who aren't "saintly" paragons of good . People who are like normal people in behaviour in fact.

I'm not going to force my view on you but I'll just end off by saying brutally torturing some innocent party to death in front of another person for wounding someone else is not only utterly disproportionate, it's also fucked up depravity that makes you worse than the other party.

If everyone subscribed to this view and had the means to enact it, you and I would be wading in blood by now

You and "many people" are welcome to hold a contrary view of course. I myself am damned well clear where I stand on this

She did not stop it...well in all cases, she'll most likely kill them both anyway. She doesn't feel strongly enough to stop it but it's still something she'd rather not do. That is difference enough
Old 2014-05-21, 11:14   Link #3717
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravagerblade View Post
could be, or they're just like Solf J. Kimblee. A façade. we don't know much about some of them to truly make a call.
Kanzaki - messiah complex girl, Touma made her snap because of Index.
William - wanted to become a Knight to protect UK and joined GRS to bring salvation to the world.
Silvia - left her duties as the royal maid for the sake of a crybaby man who sought power an use it to help people and didn't mind taking care of homeless kids until they get a family or taken by an orphanage. Touma made her snap because of Ollerus.
Brunhild - lived a peaceful life and even after her own cabal was destroyed she wasn't vengeful about it until they made her snap when she was told the little boy who feeded her committed suicide for her.
Old 2014-05-21, 11:20   Link #3718
dragon1412

Quote:
William - wanted to become a Knight to protect UK and joined GRS to bring salvation to the world.
Silvia - left her duties as the royal maid for the sake of a crybaby man who sought power an use it to help people and didn't mind taking care of homeless kids until they get a family or taken by an orphanage. Touma made her snap because of Ollerus.
Brunhild - lived a peaceful life and even after her own cabal was destroyed she wasn't vengeful about it until they made her snap when she was told the little boy who feeded her committed suicide for her.
yes so far the saint seem to be all good, but that's didn't guarantee that being good is a part of a Saint nature. Infact, some of them have their own scary side, in the end, they are just human in nature.
dragon1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-21, 11:21   Link #3719
Ravagerblade
The Fearless

Quote:
All that says to me is while they do have a good 'side' to them, they have a darker side to them as well. But realize this, I'm not saying the few saints we have been introduced to are the ones who can be bat-shit crazy and what not.
It's like what Touma said when fighting Fiamma;
Quote:
“It’s over, Fiamma,” Kamijou said quietly as he brought his right fist up at the ready. “Your right arm that is at the center of your plan is losing power and your ceremonial grounds you call the Star of Bethlehem is no longer usable. And most importantly, if you truly wanted to save the world, you would be rejoicing at the fact that the virtue within people’s hearts is winning out over the malice. …The fact that you cannot do that shows that your illusion has already failed.”
So far they've "taken the high road" you could say for now. But they all have their dark side and dark actions, sometimes they do it without realizing they are acting on that side. I've posted similar things in the past.

Old 2014-05-21, 11:25   Link #3720
Miraluka
Banned

@Cosmic Eagle and others

They're not perfect beings nor faultless people, just that they have more predisposition to do good than any other people but when facing situations that involves people they care of they behave like any other human being.

Remember what Hamazura said at the end of WWIII?
Saints are no exception, even Touma can be really cruel to the point of enjoying others pain and suffering(vol.17)

Tags
boss rush, denmark