AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2016-04-24, 15:27   Link #361
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakurin-san View Post
In which case a single destroyer with engine problems and lack of ammunition won't make a bit of difference. You would be just sending them into a suicide mission. Akin to "helping out" Okinawa with Yamato for Ten-Go in April 1945.
Sure, but the problem isn't that Mike decided to abandon the Musashi. The problem is that it doesn't feel like a hard decision. After Mashiro said her piece, Mike was like "okay, whatever" and that was pretty much all. Her decision makes sense (somewhat) but her attitude doesn't. Even when she was alone in her room afterwards, she didn't seem all that worried.

And then of course there's the fact the show doesn't give the audience much reason to care about Moka in the first place. We hardly know her, so why should we care?
Old 2016-04-24, 15:51   Link #362
Ernietheracefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
And then of course there's the fact the show doesn't give the audience much reason to care about Moka in the first place. We hardly know her, so why should we care?
Besides, if the mind controlling thing is true, Moka will become the final boss.

While comparing Tamayura with Aria is more like comparing Vividred with SW.
Ernietheracefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-24, 16:09   Link #363
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernietheracefan View Post
Besides, if the mind controlling thing is true, Moka will become the final boss.
Some people seem to be immune.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-24, 16:25   Link #364
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

I'm not buying into the mind control thing for the moment, otherwise, everyone would be under its influence save those with exceptional strength of will. At this point, a large number of sleeper agents, activated by numbers station, seems more plausible a theory
Old 2016-04-24, 16:29   Link #365
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
My own theory is that it's either a carefully concocted conspiracy against the Blue Mermaids specifically, or it's against the entire country of Japan.

I find it very interesting that one of the first ships that the Harekaze went into conflict against was a German ship...

I think there's a good chance that there are foreign operatives that want to undermine Japan's naval capabilities for some reasons, and are likely using double-operatives to do so.
Old 2016-04-24, 16:40   Link #366
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Images
C-c-c-c-combo breaker!
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2016-04-24, 16:50   Link #367
Ernietheracefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Some people seem to be immune.
Perhaps..

And one thing, I believe Moka is also a professional, so she would understand to Mike's decision.

My predictions: RTB, explains everything, resupply, bad news, and kicking butts.

@ForwardUntoDawn, you're late..

Old 2016-04-24, 16:52   Link #368
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Perhaps..

And one thing, I believe Moka is also a professional
What do you mean a professional? She's just a student like everyone else.
Old 2016-04-24, 16:54   Link #369
Julio C
Bury My Shell

After 3 episodes, I'm hook on this show. It didn't hook me like GuP did and I don't think it will, but it is a show I am looking forward to each week.
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-24, 17:00   Link #370
Eater of All
NOM

Woah, people are so harsh on this show. I expected a slow moe SOL and got competently written naval battles, mystery, and moe SOL. I take what I can get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
My own theory is that it's either a carefully concocted conspiracy against the Blue Mermaids specifically, or it's against the entire country of Japan.

I find it very interesting that one of the first ships that the Harekaze went into conflict against was a German ship...

I think there's a good chance that there are foreign operatives that want to undermine Japan's naval capabilities for some reasons, and are likely using double-operatives to do so.
It looks like the government is taking a very aggressive attitude against the school, threatening to seize or sink their ships. There might be some political intrigue going on.
Old 2016-04-24, 17:23   Link #371
Ernietheracefan

Quote:
What do you mean a professional? She's just a student like everyone else.
I think Moka & Mike share the same "everyone in the ship are the family" thing & they're captain. So Moka might be deduced that Mike has the same problem as she has & she'll come quite late.. (professional mindset, cmiiw)

Old 2016-04-24, 17:32   Link #372
Kazu-kun

Quote:
I think Moka & Mike share the same "everyone in the ship are the family" thing & they're captain. So Moka might be deduced that Mike has the same problem as she has & she'll come quite late.. (professional mindset, cmiiw)
Sounds like you're jumping to conclusions. We don't really know anything about Moka. She got to be captain because she has good grades (Mike was an exception).
Old 2016-04-24, 17:40   Link #373
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
That I can agree on. So far, everything we've heard about Moka is second-hand, and her official site profile isn't trustworthy anymore after the bait-and-switch. How do we know this? Because Moka's profile still has the old format, instead of the new one that we see under Wilhelmina's profile.

And damnit, I'm still not getting a clear explanation why people call Wilhelmina "Winner Brown Sugar".
Old 2016-04-24, 17:53   Link #374
Ernietheracefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
And damnit, I'm still not getting a clear explanation why people call Wilhelmina "Winner Brown Sugar".
Her name is quite difficult to pronounced for some viewers, I think..

Old 2016-04-24, 18:02   Link #375
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Amazingly, someone tracked down what Minami quoted this episode: a Chinese poem, apparently.

No one's spoken up yet about which work she quoted in episode 02 though. Hmph.
Old 2016-04-24, 18:39   Link #376
Marina2

Quote:
That sort of skin-level characterization works just fine for light-hearted shows with low stakes. But I think the higher the stakes, the more you need to let the audience know the characters and get involved. It takes more than just getting a quick impression and knowing their quirks. Heck, Mike decided not to help Moka and it didn't even feel like the very hard decision it should have been. But it's to be expected, you know? Because I barely know Mike, and I don't know Moka at all. So why should I care?

Quote:
Sure, but the problem isn't that Mike decided to abandon the Musashi. The problem is that it doesn't feel like a hard decision. After Mashiro said her piece, Mike was like "okay, whatever" and that was pretty much all. Her decision makes sense (somewhat) but her attitude doesn't. Even when she was alone in her room afterwards, she didn't seem all that worried.

From first 3 eps. , Mike is good at making decision as captain position. She can quickly decide what to do in any situation especially if it about her crews' safety. AND It is her intention to try to not look nervious in front of her crew. Even if she did, she will quickly fix it.

Mike thinks Mashiro is right that they already have too much problem at hand ,so she decided that they will not go to help Moka. It will make her look bad (and annoying) as captain if she insists on going to help her freind Moka and put her crews in danger.

It doesn't feel like a hard decision? I'm not sure what level of reaction from Mike you need to show that it is a hard decision. Do you want to see Mike crying in her room while saying "i'm sorry Moka" repeatly or you want Mike to argue with Shiro more on whether they should go to help Moka???? - That will be contradict to her character so far really.
Old 2016-04-24, 18:46   Link #377
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
Obviously there's some kind of mind control and/or conspiracy going on, but even after 3 episodes I'm not getting any good pointers as for the source or reason of the conflict, so all the battles so far feel like episodic conflicts for the sake of fulfilling a fight-of-the-week quota.

What I'm getting at is that all this fighting feels completely unjustified and meaningless. It doesn't help that we never get a good look at what's going on in the opposing ships, there's absolutely zero clashing of ideals or goals between our heroes and the antagonists, they're just faceless enemies to bring down and nothing more. It's not fun at all.
I wouldn't say it's not fun at all. Our little hero ship is fun to watch develop. But frankly I'm with you on the pointlessly drawn out "don't ask, just run" situation. And agree the mystery is only there for the purpose of being cryptic and drives little else in the plot. It's not filler per se, but it sure feels no different then the usual filler strategy: insert cryptic nonsense, run around, introduce new characters, run around some more, throw in random battles, run around some more, eventually defuse cryptic nonsense and reveal it to be something with no effect or further consequence.

Also, with regard to this being a conspiracy or mind control. Let's hope it is. Since the worst possible case is if this is, as I suspect, just a very elaborate silly training exercise or their comms miscommunicating everything and causing a misunderstanding. If it turns out to be that I won't be amused.
Old 2016-04-24, 19:03   Link #378
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
It doesn't feel like a hard decision? I'm not sure what level of reaction from Mike you need to show that it is a hard decision. Do you want to see Mike crying in her room while saying "i'm sorry Moka" repeatly [...] That will be contradict to her character so far really.
I don't think so. She's alone in her room. Allowing herself to cry or even just being actually distressed for a bit wouldn't interfere with her duty as captain or make her look bad with her crew when she's alone.

Besides, think about it. We know almost nothing about Moka, and Mike doesn't look all that worried about her either. So how are we supposed to care that she's in trouble then? The show has to do the heavy lifting to make the audience care, you know? It doesn't happen by default.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2016-04-24 at 20:01.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-24, 20:19   Link #379
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eater of All View Post
Woah, people are so harsh on this show. I expected a slow moe SOL and got competently written naval battles, mystery, and moe SOL.
I get what you're saying. At this point, Hai-Furi is still a pleasant surprise, which is impressive since I would have been fine with it being a "slow moe SoL".

At the same time, I get what Tempester has wrote, and I feel some of it myself. "Mystery" can cut both ways. Some of it builds good suspense, but too much of it leaves you feeling like there's nothing to grab unto, nothing to add important context to the story. Generally speaking, a good large-scale mystery slowly reveals key pieces of information until a key final piece of the puzzle is made clear. This show has revealed precious little to us, and even what that German captain had to offer was awfully slim pickings.

Earlier I wrote about how Episode 4 should have escalation and/or a big reveal. Of the two, I'd honestly rather a big reveal. Don't let Hai-Furi become Mayoiga. Hai-Furi is too good for that.

Hai-Furi is one of my Top 5 watches of the Spring 2016 season, right now.
Old 2016-04-24, 20:21   Link #380
Marina2

Quote:
I don't think so. She's alone in her room. Allowing herself to cry or even just being actually distressed for a bit wouldn't interfere with her duty as captain or make her look bad with her crew at all.

Besides, think about it. We know almost nothing about Moka, and Mike doesn't look all that worried about her either. So how are we supposed to care that she's in trouble then? The show has to do the heavy lifting to make the audience care, you know? It doesn't happen by default.
- And that was what she did wasn't it? different people have different way to express thier feeling just because she doesn't look much sad, it doesn't mean she doesn't worry about Moka.

Moreover, since last ep. Mike worried about what happened to Moke over the call, thinking what she should do about the distress call in her head in this ep, told Shiro that "Maybe we should go to help?" and felt sorry that she can't go to help. Are these meaningless to you? These things don't tell/imply that she is very care about Moka at all?

- Eh? but I care about Moka and wonder what happen to her. A lot of people are, from what I read in many boards. You probably have very different standard of "Getting to know x" from me if you think the show hasn't done enough to make viewer care about her. Moka is Mike's best friend and someone who share her dream (in Mike POV) that alone should be enough to tell what kind of person Moka is for now.

Tags
school life, sea battles, ship girls