AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Old 2007-12-29, 13:48   Link #361
glyph

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes_fan View Post
Extremely disappointing. Musical score was quite poor. I despise the transformation sequence. goddamn bishies. Looks like another watch only series that I'll barely watch to episode 13. My oh my how far this franchise has fallen. I'm feeling that this is more Gundam 00 shenanigans all over again. I'm starting to think I should forget anything that happenned after mac + ever happenned.

Eh, it's not like Macross never had bishies characters from the beginning. Max Jenius was like THE original girly-looking bishounen pilot.
glyph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-29, 13:55   Link #362
ChronoReverse

I found it kinda refreshing that he's a bishie but doesn't act like one ("WHO'S A GIRL?!?")
ChronoReverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-29, 14:14   Link #363
Vidofnir

My first impression is a good one. The characters are likeable so far and the art style is nice looking. About some parts of the action scenes I have mixed feelings. The combat manoeuvres seemed a bit too fast at times. The approach of that red alien to the fleet and the resulting explosions however were just gorgeous.
It makes me want to rewatch the original Macross series again.
Vidofnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-29, 14:20   Link #364
neoeagle

Holy Shiiiiiiiiiiit

Macross Is Back.

Heart Attack.
neoeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-29, 14:51   Link #365
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Extremely disappointing. Musical score was quite poor. I despise the transformation sequence. goddamn bishies. Looks like another watch only series that I'll barely watch to episode 13. My oh my how far this franchise has fallen. I'm feeling that this is more Gundam 00 shenanigans all over again. I'm starting to think I should forget anything that happenned after mac + ever happenned.
Did you watch Dragonaut episode 1 by mistake? lol j/k You need to attack the voice actors to get full marks as a bitter hardcore Macross fan, also need some CG bashing as well. Also how the fuck is this like Gundam 00? Will I even get a response that goes past generic complaints?
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-29, 15:27   Link #366
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
don't be fooled. he is a robotech heathen.

heretic, who only wish to undermined all that is blessed in thee holy and pure Macross universe.

be gone you protodevil!

oh, and as a nail in your undead corpse, I LIKED Macross II.

In fact, all true Macross series, even the flashback, the Movie adaption and Macross 7. (Macross Trash too)

So be gone you mutant!
Old 2007-12-29, 16:51   Link #367
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

wow, you will dish stuff out on RT which is a completely different story and has nothing to do with Macross, but you'll openly admit you like MII, quite possibly the most forgettable chapter of Macross, who the hell remembers the characters names from that anyway and was so piss poor it was removed as cannon material. Wow, Just wow. Now I don't know where you get off insulting me you little troll. I've been a fan for as long as you've been alive. Now I apologise if I'm not easily impressed by shoddy music, shitty plot ala MII, and pretty explosions. If that impresses you good for you, but that's not the Macross I love. Just because it has Macross somewhere in the title does not make it any good. Time will tell if the music gets better or the plot is any good but as it stands, this episode does jackshit to appeal to me.

Music: the song was quite dull, there's nothing really noteworthy about it. Vocally I found it grating. The outro remix of Ai Oboeteimasuka was disgraceful. Mari Ijima must be very pissed off somewhere

Plot: nonsensical. Firstly, why wasn't the shell closed on the City? They've scrambled jets, rolled out the tanks, but wait wut? let's not close the lid: the weakpoint of the city. I thought that was the whole point of the lid, at least from M7 concepts of the Megaroad class ships. Last time I checked VF fighters weren't piloted by Newtypes who instantly knew what to do. If they pull some shit out of their ass like that I know Macross is in the toilet. Ya they say the hanglider things are similar gear to what the military uses but even Hikaru's first moments in a VF were utter fail. It's like jumping from a single engine Cessna to a 747 Jumbo jet. Throughout the whole franchise everyone who's stepped into a Valk has had prior training. Even Basara (although the controls were modified for him). There were no instant aces. I thought they were supposed to be school kids. Maybe I'm over analysing this but these points really irritated me. My Gundam 00 comment is more along the lines as it looks pretty but will there be a coherent plot (a dozen episodes in to 00 and there's still characters with no real purpose that get regular appearances)

As for the Max comment - never got that bishie vibe as a kid or as an adult. As a kid and I remember this quite clearly I always felt that he was supposed to be the nerd, where as Hikaru was your normal average peron and Kakizaki was the class clown. I never got the pretty boy vibe. Then again bishie designs were extremely different conceptually for that era of animation as they are nowadays.

As for my av - it's a concept called sarcasm. Read my comments on M7 throughout this thread. It's a soundtrack only series buy for me, has comedic value but fairly mediocre. I sported a Roy one up until about a month ago.

BTW Flashback is music video with no dialog and 2 mins if that of additional footage. It's not quite a series. Maybe check your facts before trolling me again. If you like stuff just because it has Macross on it without doing a critical analysis of the plot, animation, music etc that makes you a fanboi not a fan.
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=26308

Last edited by hobbes_fan; 2007-12-29 at 17:04.
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-29, 17:08   Link #368
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Last time I checked VF fighters weren't piloted by Newtypes who instantly knew what to do. If they pull some shit out of their ass like that I know Macross is in the toilet. Ya they say the hanglider things are similar gear to what the military uses but even Hikaru's first moments in a VF were utter fail. It's like jumping from a single engine Cessna to a 747 Jumbo jet. Throughout the whole franchise everyone who's stepped into a Valk has had prior training.
Isn't Alto in a pilot training school... remember how Ozma's group referred to isn't that Michaels group when the Sheryl concert feed was showing Ranka.... I'm sure you will find something else to bitch about anyway...

Now answer my question, how the fuck is this like Gundam 00.
Old 2007-12-29, 17:32   Link #369
chickenracer

yea, finally a new macross serie. overall not bad.
yea, there are lot of references.
but i am suprised that nobody mentioned about the macross symbol. it kinda got replaced by 3dots. strange thing.
chickenracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-29, 17:37   Link #370
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

Looks pretty, short on plot. That's the feeling I get so far. Real Robot series from a celebrated franchise which so far is a disappointment to me. Now this is a teaser episode and not the kickoff of the series. It could be good it could be bad, have NFI until it airs and gets a few episodes in. The way I FEEL after watching this is that Like Gundam 00 it looks good, but it will be let down by the script. Like my earlier comment said "I'm feeling that this is more Gundam 00 shenanigans all over again." I'm hoping this turns out better. But the vibe it gives me is what I felt when I saw the first 3-4 eps of 00, after a dozen eps and a plot full of holes lacking any coherency I think I've given it long enough. IT looked good, very good but there wasn't a lot going for it plotwise and it instead of getting better it got worse. Now I'm of the opinion they've been working on this ep a while but if that's it, well I'm going to be pretty disappointed. There's no direct comparison. Everything is just gut feeling from what I've felt from seeing all the stuff for this and what I've seen of 00.
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=26308
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-29, 17:56   Link #371
Hojo10692

Does anyone know where i can download the ending song? Thanks.
Hojo10692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-29, 18:15   Link #372
GreatTeacherKen

@ hobbes_fan

I find it rather strange that you criticize the plot on the basis of the first episode. True there were not a lot of plot details given, but it's just the beginning. The show needs to spend time setting up the characters (which is quite difficult to do in the space of a few minutes without seeming rushed) they can't just jump right in and expect the audience to follow it. Many shows don't even reveal the full depth of their plots/storylines until much later, and yes this includes the original Macross. At least in my opinion, the original series' story does not reveal its full depth and scale until the Protoculture concept gets introduced, roughly around episodes 11-14. Everything beforehand is mostly spent setting up the relationships and the conflict. Not to mention before these episodes, there's not much about known about the Zentradi other than they're huge and very skilled with military tactics.
GreatTeacherKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-29, 18:23   Link #373
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTeacherKen View Post
@ hobbes_fan

I find it rather strange that you criticize the plot on the basis of the first episode. True there were not a lot of plot details given, but it's just the beginning. The show needs to spend time setting up the characters (which is quite difficult to do in the space of a few minutes without seeming rushed) they can't just jump right in and expect the audience to follow it. Many shows don't even reveal the full depth of their plots/storylines until much later, and yes this includes the original Macross. At least in my opinion, the original series' story does not reveal its full depth and scale until the Protoculture concept gets introduced, roughly around episodes 11-14. Everything beforehand is mostly spent setting up the relationships and the conflict. Not to mention before these episodes, there's not much about known about the Zentradi other than they're huge and very skilled with military tactics.
Exactly, and the main thing he spent whining on during his plot rant (alto is not a newtype blah blah blah) he was wrong in. Him and that dude whining about no love triangle like in the original just make me lol, ffs it's the first episode.
Old 2007-12-29, 21:04   Link #374
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Err.... so what's with the token 'Gundam 00's script is trash!' arguments. Since when did someone write the rulebook about it? And no, I don't think 00's plot is trash, so I don't see why that kind of comment should hold any water regardless.

And hobbesfan, LIDS? It's a colony. It's not a war ship. And why would they need LIDS when they obviously have an energy shield? Would you really think a flimsy lid would do anything? When those bugs' plasma beams sliced through WARSHIPS? lol

Also, why do people differentiate this show as a trailer when the next episode previews looks to be more of the same type of quality?

This show is getting a lot of WEIRD criticism. I'm not even fathoming the logic on some of them.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-29, 21:42   Link #375
mdauben

Quote:
Musical score was quite poor.
Where you listening to the same episode I was? Just about everyone I have talked to though the soundtract was outstanding. Classic Kanno. I thought the battle/concert scene in particular was a brilliant combination of music and action.

Quote:
goddamn bishies.
So, you are going to dismiss the whole series based on the design of one character?

Oh, well, I guess some people just get off on hating. Me, I'm going to go watch the episode again as I wait impatiently for April to come around with more Macross Frontier goodness.
mdauben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-29, 21:55   Link #376
Aquifina

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdauben View Post
So, you are going to dismiss the whole series based on the design of one character?
And has been pointed out, Alto's actual demeanor is quite masculine.
Aquifina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-29, 22:48   Link #377
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

@hobbes fan

Yeah, becuase you know, first episode of Macross 7 was such a gripping episode and masterpiece that all the other Macross franchise should follow... oh wait, I got Macross 7 episode 1 and Frontier episode 1 mixed-up.

Honestly, your favorite show (assuming from your avatar) had a pretty dull and boring first episode. Looks pretty, short on plot? Gee, doesn't that describe 7 episode one pretty well? I remember seeing those "self-claimed Macross purists" ranting and bashing Macross 7 after the first episode aired too. Deja vu, anyone? Of course, in the end, Macross 7 (despite its crappy outsourced animation episodes and insanly overused stock footage battle scenes) came out to be a decent show. But you wouldn't have guess it from episode one, eh?

Go ahead, hate it all you want, but most of us consider this first episode a very strong entrance for a Macross title, and frankly, an ideal pilot episode for ANY anime standards.

EDIT: Oh, nevermind. Despite your avatar, you hate 7 too? Oh well, your loss.

Last edited by aohige; 2007-12-29 at 23:02.
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-29, 22:58   Link #378
SnEptUne

Aww. I guess crappy director is still crappy director. The 3D panning is annoying and hinders the flow of the story. It is as if they are trying to copy some cheesy 3D American movie. >_<

And what is with the pretentious character animation of the green haired girl? People don't move like that in real life! It is worst when it is 80% resembling human animation, psychologically speaking.

How I missed Macross 7. Basara is still the best.

Last edited by SnEptUne; 2007-12-29 at 23:13.
SnEptUne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-29, 23:09   Link #379
dahak
Utu Class Planetoid

Quote:
Throughout the whole franchise everyone who's stepped into a Valk has had prior training. Even Basara (although the controls were modified for him). There were no instant aces.
Not even Miriya? You remember the green haired female ace who's past experience was Queadlunn Rau powersuits and computer games.
dahak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-29, 23:19   Link #380
SnEptUne

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahak View Post
Not even Miriya? You remember the green haired female ace who's past experience was Queadlunn Rau powersuits and computer games.
Wasn't she well trained?

Anyway, nothing to see in this series. Too flashy, too pretentious. Maybe it is just my bias against American movies and anythings that copy from them.
SnEptUne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, romance