AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kannagi

Notices

View Poll Results: Kannagi - Episode 11 Rating
Perfect 10 10 19.61%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 15 29.41%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 25.49%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 19.61%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 3.92%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.96%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-12-16, 03:29   Link #21
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Wow, PLOT! didn't expect that... left me anticipating the next episode!
Old 2008-12-16, 03:41   Link #22
zzeroparticle
NEET

Send a message via AIM to zzeroparticle
After all the comedy that we've had, this episode felt slightly out of place; that there was just something slightly missing. There were a few in-jokes that I got a chuckle out of, but for the most part, it was fairly serious and heavy as people have mentioned. While we've caught glimpses of Nagi's other self on a few occasions, this is the first time her normal self has had to reconcile with the other identity. That fact-finding could go either way, so I'm hoping the subsequent episodes can deliver on that.

For now, I'm just going to say that character drama isn't this series's strong suit. That may change once the story becomes more cohesive.
Old 2008-12-16, 03:56   Link #23
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

ehhhhh, sensing an impending "rushed drama ending" -- grrrrr, hope not. This show has been running so well so far.
Old 2008-12-16, 05:32   Link #24
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

That surprised me in a good way. I thought the entire scene where we delved into Nagi's consciousness and explored, in detail, her self-doubt about her identity and the philosophy that's allowed her to survive to this point, was impeccably executed (in this anime, Yamamoto proves that he can direct).

This works, I think, because the plot and the themes they're exploring are very different from what I was expecting (in all honesty, I thought "serious stuff" for this anime was going to be yet another ham-fisted, rushed, pseudo-romance ending that leaves the audience with goofy grins on their faces, but is pretty empty and meaningless five minutes later once people actually think about it). They've brought Nagi's very identity into question, which obviously raises a lot of interesting questions. Did they leave it til too late to start doing this? Maybe, in fact, probably, but this episode itself wasn't rushed, IMO, so if there's ramifications to their pacing, we won't notice them until next episode. But I like where they're going with this. I just hope that the resolution does the questions they've raised sufficient justice.
Old 2008-12-16, 09:40   Link #25
Kushi

Nice! I was getting a bit upset from so many spoilers being shoved in and having no Nagi time. Now they throw us a full Nagi episode.. looks like the story is getting much more serious. Pretty good episode tbh.. 9 out of 10
Old 2008-12-16, 13:22   Link #26
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

I think it's about time they move onto the meat of the story. How long was Kannagi was scheduled for? 26 ep? or 13?

Kannagi have been a very funny series i'm hoping it would be a thought provoking one as well just to see a show that can be funny and serious at the same time. The monologue of Nagi after running away from Jin was my favourite moment for this ep.
Old 2008-12-16, 21:26   Link #27
HandofFate

where's the funny in this episode?
Old 2008-12-16, 23:52   Link #28
Falkor

let’s see, this episode, despite not being entirely focused on comedy as past episodes have been, was really interesting, more or so because of the Shinto themes and the character development/introspection of Nagi. Yes, I was really surprised at the sudden change of mood halfway through the episode, and I was comfortably prepared for it. Now, I wonder how things would go from this point on: only two episodes are left (I believe) and this can turn out either great or slightly disappointing (I want to believe the former, of course).

Nagi’s identity crisis (this is the right word, I think) posed the most interesting question to the plot as a whole. Besides, I actually thought, based on early episodes, that they will explore in more details the relationship between Nagi and Zange--and who Hakua really is… But, they didn’t choose this route, and instead went for something quite unexpected--which is a welcome surprise, in my opinion. Incidentally, the theme/issue of this episode was something that (how should I describe it) had as much importance as the animosity between the sisters, but it was not quite “obvious.” Seriously, it was not until this episode that I did wonder about Nagi’s identity and her purpose in Jin’s life--besides the fact that impurities exist for her to eliminate them. It was quite a shock to discover that Nagi had no clue whatsoever regarding herself and her goals, refusing--or being unable--to answer that little question that has been brought up in the past. Well, I can’t shake the feeling that there’s no deep meaning behind this whole issue, but it wouldn't hurt to wait and see how the next episode develops--up to this point, I haven't felt disappointed, so...

Oh, and I really loved the background music--especially the one at the beginning and the one at the halfway mark.
Old 2008-12-17, 00:19   Link #29
Bordix

My favorite scene was when those crazy random phone calls took place XD

- " A man like you isn't suited for my Daitetsu-kun " lolz
Old 2008-12-17, 02:16   Link #30
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkor View Post
let’s see, this episode, despite not being entirely focused on comedy as past episodes have been, was really interesting, more or so because of the Shinto themes and the character development/introspection of Nagi. Yes, I was really surprised at the sudden change of mood halfway through the episode, and I was comfortably prepared for it. Now, I wonder how things would go from this point on: only two episodes are left (I believe) and this can turn out either great or slightly disappointing (I want to believe the former, of course).

Nagi’s identity crisis (this is the right word, I think) posed the most interesting question to the plot as a whole. Besides, I actually thought, based on early episodes, that they will explore in more details the relationship between Nagi and Zange--and who Hakua really is… But, they didn’t choose this route, and instead went for something quite unexpected--which is a welcome surprise, in my opinion. Incidentally, the theme/issue of this episode was something that (how should I describe it) had as much importance as the animosity between the sisters, but it was not quite “obvious.” Seriously, it was not until this episode that I did wonder about Nagi’s identity and her purpose in Jin’s life--besides the fact that impurities exist for her to eliminate them. It was quite a shock to discover that Nagi had no clue whatsoever regarding herself and her goals, refusing--or being unable--to answer that little question that has been brought up in the past. Well, I can’t shake the feeling that there’s no deep meaning behind this whole issue, but it wouldn't hurt to wait and see how the next episode develops--up to this point, I haven't felt disappointed, so...
I've been thinking about Nagi's introspection scene, and I'm wondering if it's not a totally ridiculous thing to say it was Evangelion-like. It's almost like Yamamoto's been taking notes from Anno, but the scene was a lot more filtered than a typical Evangelion introspection session, which tended to be so busy and erratic. This was probing (not quite to the same extent as Evangelion), but was also a little more logical and sequential than Evangelion. Nonetheless, I really liked that scene. It's a moment of genuine depth from a series where I wasn't exactly expecting genuine depth.
Old 2008-12-17, 16:15   Link #31
typhonsentra

I love how the episode begins with them basically admitting, "Yeah, we totally ignored the whole "Plot thing" up until now."
Old 2008-12-18, 08:35   Link #32
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

I wasn't really sure about what to think of this whole episode. On one hand, it's nice that they are continuing the story; on the other, it's kinda frustrating that we didn't really find out anything more than what we already knew - if anything, we got even more questions to answer, now.
Anyway, hope the next episodes provide better experiences than this one.

Old 2008-12-18, 08:47   Link #33
DesuX2

I didn't quite understand this episode, was it supposed to be funny or something desu?
Old 2008-12-18, 12:31   Link #34
Itlandm
Porcupine

I think this episode was meant to be drama, not comedy. The series is almost over, so it is usual to have some drama even in a comedy series. Then things can get back to normal in the last episode and everyone is happy.
Old 2008-12-18, 13:05   Link #35
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesuX2 View Post
I didn't quite understand this episode, was it supposed to be funny or something desu?
Almost all romantic comedies (or daily life comedies) are not actually funny haha for the duration of the series. They use comedy to get you hooked on the characters and then they subject the characters to dramatic situations. Viewers tend to be more concerned about the characters since they remember the happy comedy moments.

It *used to be* that American comedies utilized this funny/sad format in their romantic comedies (e.g., Grant & Hepburn). Recently, its seen a bit of a comeback in some movies (e.g., some of the Adam Sandler efforts).

The term "comedy" in its original Greek format also included rather tragic elements as expressions of the human condition. "You can only laugh" can be observed about tragic events as well.
Old 2008-12-18, 15:22   Link #36
Kabitzin
1/3 of the Sea Slugs Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
I think it's about time they move onto the meat of the story. How long was Kannagi was scheduled for? 26 ep? or 13?
13 I believe. So we will probably get another season at some later date, as I doubt everything will be wrapped up in 2 episodes.
Old 2008-12-18, 17:36   Link #37
Littm
ちょうど楽しみなさい
*IT Support

Well, very good episode with a taste of drama. In overall level is a bit lower then at the beginnnig of the season, but is very good anyway. Like it. Next episode should be very interesting.

8 out of 10 : Very Good.
Old 2008-12-18, 19:59   Link #38
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Let's see this way.

The situation is not normal and Jin will definitely reach his breaking point at the current rate which I glad he finally did in this ep. Nagi the Goddess constant refusal to answer to his inquiry as why the status quo is which I think it is bit too much to ask from a confused, hormonally charged teenager. The manga emphasizes this too. I am surprised that Jin did not try to jump on her and rape her or something.

Nagi also sounds like forgotten deity of long ancient past and question is why she needs to purify the land if there is no "kickback" for her anymore? What does those black things really do? Why Zange regarded Nagi with such hostility despite being sisters from same source? And why Zange mentioned that Nagi has fallen from grace very hard?

The funny has stop somewhere and all these serious issues has to touched upon in Kannagi, somehow. Otherwise there is no point in this series.

Cheers.

Last edited by stormy001_M1A2; 2008-12-18 at 20:10.
Old 2008-12-18, 23:46   Link #39
FateAnomaly

I feel somewhat sorry for Nagi, however, i think she should have explain herself better to Jin. I guess her pride is in the way since she is suppose to be a god after all.
About Zange hostility, i think it is because they are competitors for the same pool of worshippers. Nagi did fall from grace. She had zero worshippers, her tree is chopped down and no shrine. The black stuff taint her easily while Zange could handle them with ease.
Old 2008-12-19, 00:16   Link #40
DesuX2

Anyways, regarding the book part...

Wouldn't it have been more logical if Jin just went to Zange and asked her what was the whole deal with her sister acting weird like that desu?
Closed Thread