AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2022-11-04, 13:02   Link #21
Tenzen12

Second episode was big step down. Dialogues were very wooden (so were monologues) and filled with random exposition dumps. Villain like Mephisto can be pretty fun, but he didn't work here and all events were very disconnected from each other. It reminded me why I dropped game.

Well it wasn't offensively bad that would warrant dropping show on spot and I am not invested enough to hate on it anyway.
Old 2022-11-04, 14:35   Link #22
grecefar

I like the slow pace and how they explain things, it can get boring but it's a matter of taste.

The first one was better but I'm liking it so far.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-11-04, 16:21   Link #23
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by grecefar View Post
I like the slow pace and how they explain things, it can get boring but it's a matter of taste.

The first one was better but I'm liking it so far.
I also like their pace. And yes first episode was better, but not like this is bad. Though I can already imagine people complain about it everywhere.
Old 2022-11-04, 16:47   Link #24
Magewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
I also like their pace. And yes first episode was better, but not like this is bad. Though I can already imagine people complain about it everywhere.
The problem is that so far there has been a lot of info dumping without much characterization or reason for us to care about anything. And why are the "goodguys" so useless? In the first episode they were carried by an invalid with a scrambled brain and in the second they had to be saved by the bad guys until the apparently only useful member of their team could show up and even then they were still wrecked in the end.
Magewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-11-04, 17:16   Link #25
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magewolf View Post
The problem is that so far there has been a lot of info dumping without much characterization or reason for us to care about anything. And why are the "goodguys" so useless? In the first episode they were carried by an invalid with a scrambled brain and in the second they had to be saved by the bad guys until the apparently only useful member of their team could show up and even then they were still wrecked in the end.
In the game they did the opposite where it was too sparse. They might have overcompensated, wouldn't surprise me. I've only played the game for around 90 days, so the initial parts are still fresh.

Thanks for your perspective on the episodes, I actually was very curious how a anime-only viewer experienced the last two episodes, since I do probably know too much of the lore to even imagine it.
Old 2022-11-04, 19:30   Link #26
GDB

Not sure if this is a tribute to the anime's pacing or a detriment to the game's pacing, but we've finished the tutorial/chapter 0 and are half way through chapter 1 now. I do agree with the previous statements that they're really making RI out to be super incompetent and ineffective. It kind of works in a game setting when you know just how many of them are nameless mooks, but it doesn't work for a proper narrative.

Also, for some reason Nearl sounds really different from how I remember her in the game. That's still Ayane Sakura, yeah?
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-11-04, 20:55   Link #27
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

So just one unlucky thing after another first being attacked at a park in a fog to some overpowered flame wielder

So the things they use to help them fight is all so killing them dosnt seem logical
Old 2022-11-04, 21:10   Link #28
Tenzen12

That's one thing I have no problem with. Look on RL steroids, it make you better, but it still kill you in the end. This is just other way around.
Old 2022-11-04, 23:42   Link #29
moridin84
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Yoma View Post
So just one unlucky thing after another first being attacked at a park in a fog to some overpowered flame wielder

So the things they use to help them fight is all so killing them dosnt seem logical
They are dying even if they don't use their powers.

And I'm not sure how much effect using their power has on their condition.

Rhodes Island provides the most effective treatment for oripathy. So working for Rhodes Island, even if you have to use your powers, is the best way to stay alive for as long as possible.
moridin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-11-05, 00:28   Link #30
larethian

Crownslayer showing us how she gets behind enemy lines
And I got chapter 8 nightmare again from the last part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Not sure if this is a tribute to the anime's pacing or a detriment to the game's pacing, but we've finished the tutorial/chapter 0 and are half way through chapter 1 now. I do agree with the previous statements that they're really making RI out to be super incompetent and ineffective. It kind of works in a game setting when you know just how many of them are nameless mooks, but it doesn't work for a proper narrative.

Also, for some reason Nearl sounds really different from how I remember her in the game. That's still Ayane Sakura, yeah?
Yes, it seems closer to her Radiant Knight form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Yoma View Post

Originium is a substance that is hazardous to organic life and yet yields energy or power, or the 'mana' of this world. But using a loose analogy, it's like you can mine and extract coal for energy but exposure to coal dust can give rise to health problems and lung diseases. You can take it as just a 'setting' of the world. It has also been likened to Tiberium from C&C.

Just a trivia, but ReoNa herself is also an avid player of Arknights.

Last edited by larethian; 2022-11-05 at 00:59.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-11-05, 08:33   Link #31
Xiyon

Talulah should count herself lucky Nearl is going around with her mace and not her lance.

Hope the anime brings a ton of revenue. That way, maybe we can have OVA of the event missions. Doggo on shrooms, anyone? Or the misadventures of an undercover whale and crazy shark lady? Hell, I'd love the tournament arc to be animated, too.
Xiyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-11-05, 09:20   Link #32
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiyon View Post
Talulah should count herself lucky Nearl is going around with her mace and not her lance.
This is pretty debatable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiyon View Post
Hope the anime brings a ton of revenue. That way, maybe we can have OVA of the event missions. Doggo on shrooms, anyone? Or the misadventures of an undercover whale and crazy shark lady? Hell, I'd love the tournament arc to be animated, too.
Pretty sure a substantial portion of Arknight players who collect the goods will likely buy the DVD/BDs just for collection as well. But rather than expanding to Kazimeirz and the Nearls, I'd prefer stuff more connected to the main story be done first, like Memoirs or other parallel events taking place during the main story arcs such as what happened to Scout squad, etc.
Old 2022-11-06, 10:20   Link #33
ryllharu

As an anime-only viewer, the worst part of this episode was Mephisto by far. He's a terrible one-dimensional villain, and they're playing it straight, so it is even worse.

I think the overall pacing is fine, but I'm also getting antsy for them to get back to their precious base so we can get some better balance on the tension in the episodes. At the rate they're going they're either all going to die or get away in a very unsatisfying manner.
ryllharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-11-06, 20:45   Link #34
larethian

Mephisto is kind of mental, but he and Faust have a backstory that might not be covered at all in the show, like pretty much all the named characters. The only characters that are truly 1-dimensional characters are those generic operators that have their classes as codenames like guard, medic, etc. Within the game itself, one enjoyable thing about how hundreds of AK characters and world lore gets presented is how they run in parallel threads and span across times and years in a non chronological way and gets connected more intimately to one another and to the fate of Terra and its inhabitants as more of the game unfolds, not just via the story and event stories, but also clues from operator records which gets progressively released.

edit:
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
pinned comment:
Quote:
私も2020年1月16日の日本サービス開始と同時に“ドクター”になって、
いちゲームファンとして楽しんできた物語
short TL-equivalent: ReoNa a day 1 player and fan of the story.

Last edited by larethian; 2022-11-07 at 08:43.
Old 2022-11-07, 17:58   Link #35
ryllharu

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
Mephisto is kind of mental, but he and Faust have a backstory that might not be covered at all in the show, like pretty much all the named characters. The only characters that are truly 1-dimensional characters are those generic operators that have their classes as codenames like guard, medic, etc.
And yet the nameless one helping assist the exposition in the ransacked clinic felt like a more developed and well-rounded character than Mephisto did. That's kind of my point.
ryllharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-11-08, 17:59   Link #36
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryllharu View Post
And yet the nameless one helping assist the exposition in the ransacked clinic felt like a more developed and well-rounded character than Mephisto did. That's kind of my point.
Everyone in the community hates Mephisto.
Old 2022-11-11, 13:52   Link #37
Tenzen12

I didn't have lot of expectation after previous episode, but I was certainly entertained. Not by "dramatic" or "touching" scenese as I don't have reason care for these characters and their struggles yet, but by sheer amount of exposition. Longer it went, more hilarious I found it. Thanks goodness for AI assistant, otherwise Dobberman would have to talk whole episode on her own, this way she could take brief break in middle and leave dumping information to Alexa
Old 2022-11-11, 15:07   Link #38
grecefar

I liked Ace last stand, it reminded me to captain america against thanos in endgame.

I doubt he is dead.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-11-11, 16:31   Link #39
Magewolf

And once again they walked away because the "bad guys" just let them. I was deeply moved by the death of the nameless, faceless mobs and the soul searching of the mostly useless bunny-girl so lets call that a strategic victory(instead of the actual total defeat avoided only by the enemy taking their ball and going home).
Magewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-11-11, 17:10   Link #40
GDB

At least this "walk away" I know gets explained later in the narrative, though I think it wasn't until like chapter 6 or 8 or something so it definitely won't be in the anime.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote