AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-03-08, 05:29   Link #21
sky black swordman

As a person who reads the manga that this anime is going to adapted from, I find that my feelings waver on how to feel about this news.
Old 2013-03-08, 05:36   Link #22
SidVicious
Anime addict

Better character designs than the OVAs.
Old 2013-03-08, 05:43   Link #23
Revan21

I like the characters designs and I have faith in Reiko Yoshida's script, but they could have chosen a better, more experienced director.

And having GONZO animate this...well they might be able to pull this off since this series does not involve much action.
Old 2013-03-08, 08:12   Link #24
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

They have Shigeyasu Yamauchi on board so that can only mean good things, at least as far as KNIM is concerned. Plus the new character designs at the very least doesn't look bland.
Old 2013-03-08, 08:25   Link #25
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

this will be nice "popcorn" anime

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-08, 09:21   Link #26
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revan21 View Post
I like the characters designs and I have faith in Reiko Yoshida's script, but they could have chosen a better, more experienced director.
Yamauchi has been in the industry for more than 30 years, you hardly get any more experienced than him

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyouray
He directed Kyou, Koi wo Hajimemasu OVA series some years ago which wasn't a high-budget production but has a pleasant atmosphere & visuals thanks to Yamauchi.
Oh cool,I'll check it out, now I remember his Nazo no Kanojo X episode (ep 9) was also quite nice
Old 2013-03-08, 10:58   Link #27
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

He also did 2-3 episodes from Shin Sekai Yori though they were the more trippy ones (and that's saying something). He did Yumekui Merry too and while it was terrible, it did look really interesting. And as totoum said, you could hardly get a director that has more experience than he does.
Old 2013-03-08, 11:01   Link #28
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

About Yumekui Marry. The problem were not with the direction. It was with script. They totally changed the story from manga somewhere around the middle.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-08, 11:09   Link #29
Revan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Yamauchi has been in the industry for more than 30 years, you hardly get any more experienced than him
Sorry, I meant more experienced in the romance genre.

Dragonball and Saint Seiya is not in the same league and he barely touched a romance for the last 17years.

And as I said, if Yoshida's script and Nishii's Penguindrum-characters come through, even Gonzo won't be able to bungle this series.

Also, I hope it will be a seasonal adaption, similar to Natsume Yuujinchou or Bakuman. They won't get far with just 13-26 episodes.
Old 2013-03-08, 11:15   Link #30
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisaoFan View Post
Synopsis looks interesting, but the things that I heard weren't very good.
The main complaint I've heard is that the mangaka has continued the story long past the point where it should've stopped (which seems to be a problem with romance manga in general -- Kimi ni Todoke, I'm looking at you). If the anime doesn't go past that point, fans might end up liking it better than the source material.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-08, 11:18   Link #31
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
The main complaint I've heard is that the mangaka has continued the story long past the point where it should've stopped (which seems to be a problem with romance manga in general -- Kimi ni Todoke, I'm looking at you). If the anime doesn't go past that point, fans might end up liking it better than the source material.
I see. I think I'm going to observe what the manga fans will judge once the anime will air, and if it's good enough, maybe I'll catch up.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-08, 11:42   Link #32
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachtwandler View Post
About Yumekui Marry. The problem were not with the direction. It was with script. They totally changed the story from manga somewhere around the middle.
Yamauchi took responsability for it

Quote:
In the report, Yamauchi confessed that he failed to wrap up the story of the anime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revan21 View Post
Sorry, I meant more experienced in the romance genre
Oh right,that's understandable, but hey at least his one venture into a romance TV show turned out to be one of most popular romance anime of its decade (Yoshida wrote some scripts for it as well)
Old 2013-03-08, 16:00   Link #33
kyouray
2D > 3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Oh cool,I'll check it out, now I remember his Nazo no Kanojo X episode (ep 9) was also quite nice
Be careful because Kyou, Koi wo Hajimemasu OVA adapted specific chapters so you can't watch them as stand alone episodes
First OVA adapted chapters 15-16 and the 2nd OVA adapted chapters 32-33.
Old 2013-03-08, 16:29   Link #34
Dextro
He Without a Title

Well since this is GONZO at least I know for sure it's going to be interesting to watch. Maybe not for the show itself but the reactions will be HILARIOUS either way

PS: btw I find GONZO, for all it's faults, has a bit of undeserved bad rap. Sure they weren't particularly known for stellar adaptations but they were at least enjoyable to me... mostly.
Old 2013-03-08, 18:18   Link #35
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

Well, I liked Blassreiter, Samurai 7 and Witchblade. Good luck to ya, Gonzo.
Old 2013-03-08, 18:47   Link #36
Warm Mist

Does GONZO still have enough of an in-house team to call out this show based on their name alone? Maybe Yamauchi can bring some people from Merry or Crasshern, although it's true that it may not be the best option for a romance anime.
Warm Mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-08, 19:02   Link #37
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warm Mist View Post
Does GONZO still have enough of an in-house team to call out this show based on their name alone? Maybe Yamauchi can bring some people from Merry or Crasshern, although it's true that it may not be the best option for a romance anime.
That's a really good point.
Old 2013-03-08, 20:27   Link #38
kyouray
2D > 3D

Quote:
I hope this typo is unintentional.
They managed to do a decent work with Last Exile Fam so I guess it will be ok and Yamauchi's direction can make-up animation's problems.
I think we'll alternate between 'in-house' episodes & episodes which he will bring back his regulars animators like Kanako Maru, Shouhei Hamaguchi, Aiko Sonobe, Marie Ino etc... who fit this kind of romance anime. There're also veterans like Yasuhiro Namatame who could do some work since he worked with him for Hana Yori Dango, Ojamajo Doremi and didn't hesitate to do key animation for Kyou, Koi wo Hajimemasu OVA. And Umakoshi isn't only an action animator, he can do beautiful refined cuts!
Old 2013-03-09, 01:23   Link #39
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
At the beginning of the previous decade, GONZO excelled above mastery making original anime series with both good animation and good storylines.

However, when it came to them adapting from manga to anime the results were blatantly disastrous more in terms of the characters and interpretation of the original story.
Hellsing, Full Metal Panic, Chrno Crusade, and among many others were flops to cite from above. I believe that only Saikano was the only adaptation that they not only made it to work but also made it right.
Woah, they did Saikano? Didn't realize it until now. Couldn't even imagine it.
Yeah, they did that right... (Too right, because I ended up sobbing at one point!)

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-09, 11:29   Link #40
TJR

Quote:
Does GONZO still have enough of an in-house team to call out this show based on their name alone?
They're a totally different company now from the ownership down to the talent. However, they still hire some of the directors and writers they used to work with, and certain parts of their work get sourced to ex-Gonzo people.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
badass girls, cheating, frustration, love polygon, romance, shounen, slice of life