Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-03-26, 16:30   Link #21
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

The rather awesome (and damned elusive) trailer from Comiket 71 has reappeared on Youtube. Get it while you can folks

I didn't see any new stuff from the Tokyo Anime Fair, and there's no trailer on the website yet. Airs next Wednesday btw.
Old 2007-03-26, 16:36   Link #22
aardvark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonhex View Post
The rather awesome (and damned elusive) trailer from Comiket 71 has reappeared on Youtube. Get it while you can folks

I didn't see any new stuff from the Tokyo Anime Fair, and there's no trailer on the website yet. Airs next Wednesday btw.
The CG looks liks it's on the level of Candidate for Goddess
Old 2007-03-26, 16:55   Link #23
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
The CG looks liks it's on the level of Candidate for Goddess
Well the CG doesn't bother me per se, I mean it's not that bad but does pale against Kissdum's promo for example. But I have to say the general lack of anime promo material does bug me a little. No official trailer, no screenshots, nothing except radio broadcasts (with the cast on helium or sugar or something) and some pretty Keiji Goto artwork. Which, as wao mentioned, suffers from some peculiar 'anatomical' oddities at times. In fact the latest spread in Newtype April shows Mana in a less than flattering view (she's got a big ass!).

In theory this should be an amazing project though...
Old 2007-03-26, 23:46   Link #24
DangerMouse

Quote:
Well the CG doesn't bother me per se, I mean it's not that bad but does pale against Kissdum's promo for example. But I have to say the general lack of anime promo material does bug me a little. No official trailer, no screenshots, nothing except radio broadcasts (with the cast on helium or sugar or something) and some pretty Keiji Goto artwork. Which, as wao mentioned, suffers from some peculiar 'anatomical' oddities at times. In fact the latest spread in Newtype April shows Mana in a less than flattering view (she's got a big ass!).

In theory this should be an amazing project though...
I certainly don't mind the CG mecha, and it's certainly nowhere near the 1st generation CG work of an early show like Candidate For Goddess, and I don't think it's that bad, but all I've seen is that really really blury youtube video a few months ago now. Honestly this show is gonna be awesome, the premise reminds me of G-Gundam, and even if it is less over-the-top then that show the fact that so many awesome mech designers are making robots for the show is going to be so much fun when they start fighting.

Goto's great character art looked so much better in the youtube video of the actual animation than the portraits on the site and the stuff in magazines. I'd love to see an updated trailer and more of the characters though than just the Japanese team, especially since the show is starting so soon.
Old 2007-03-29, 13:35   Link #25
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post

Goto's great character art looked so much better in the youtube video of the actual animation than the portraits on the site and the stuff in magazines. I'd love to see an updated trailer and more of the characters though than just the Japanese team, especially since the show is starting so soon.
Someone must have been listening. Here's the official trailer(1.7mb). A much better look at the giant robots and the main characters - it is quite odd to see such cherubic faces and mecha in tandem, but it still looks like it'll fun.
Old 2007-03-29, 16:13   Link #26
DangerMouse

Quote:
Someone must have been listening. Here's the official trailer(1.7mb). A much better look at the giant robots and the main characters - it is quite odd to see such cherubic faces and mecha in tandem, but it still looks like it'll fun.
Whooohooo thanks ALOT!!

Yeah, odd combination but they look surprisingly good together here. Now that there's a much better video, I still really like the animation version of the character designs, which I think supports what I said earlier, that they look really good and that the static images don't do them justice, Brains Base is impressing me yet again with how they are animated (this is a trailer ofcourse but I always enjoy their animation in the shows of theirs that have interested me so I think it will be nicely done) and I personally enjoyed the mech animation and special effects shown and the cool mech designs, but then again I don't mind CG. If the trailer is not misleading then it looks like this show has a rather nice budget with smooth animation like that and so many great mech designers contributing.

Hopefully it'll be a fun but dramatic robot frag-fest
Old 2007-04-04, 18:04   Link #27
SuperAsuradaGundam

Send a message via AIM to SuperAsuradaGundam
Just saw a RAW of the first episode and here are my thoughts:

The story is similar to G-Gundam, however I think it may develop toward something else based off of what I saw at the beginning of the episode. Animation, to me is preety good, although the CB stands out a bit, but the opening mech battle seemed pretty cool. Also, the show seemed to flesh out more like a UC Gundam episode than a G-Gundam episode. I think its too early to judge the characters, although I think for some, the character design might take some time to get use too. Overall, I would give this show a chance because I think it could develop into something interesting.
Old 2007-04-04, 18:16   Link #28
aardvark

Just briefly skimmed through the episode, since I won't watch it til later. Im kind of split on the CG.

I retract my statement about it being CfG level, that was a bit harsh. It's more on the level of Zegapain, though Zegapain's CG featured better integration due to the nature of the setting. Anyways, as usual I'd prefer they don't go the route of fully CG mecha, but I can live with it.

Also the Official site updated and it confirms the show as being 26 episodes, makes sense since Keiji Gotoh will be directing that Kiddy Grade sequel in the fall most likely.

Oh, and you can check out the silhouettes of all the mecha and characters from the different countries on the official site too, you can have a general idea of what they all look like.
Old 2007-04-04, 18:17   Link #29
Crystal_Method
I want dreads...
*Artist

Yea I have to say that the character designs and mecha designs are pretty ugly, but other than that it's pretty good. The animation was really good too. I don't know if I'll continue with this one, seems kindof generic for lack of better words.
Old 2007-04-04, 23:40   Link #30
DangerMouse

The CG may be more of the standout type than the type that meshes but I think they are totally cool (the designs are naturally a highlight IMO as expected from the first two) and I love the shading on them and the lighting for the boosters and such and drool at the way they fought at the end and the speed effects (It was like SRW but without the SD). The 2D animation itself was standout and high quality, perhaps the smoothest of the season so far in exchange for simpler detail for the characters art. I like the smooth animation character designs, the facial expressions take some getting used to but are ok if you liked or tolerated them in either RODTV's or Kamichu's exaggerations, but they very well may not be to everyone's liking especially with some of them having rather wide faces and this being a seemingly serious show. The main girl looks really good while the main guy is extremely generic but both animate extremely well with lots of sutle detail like hair moving etc. If there's one thing a bit odd but that I personally can get used to, it's the style of eyes from a distance, they look more like normal anime eyes in the ultra closeups when characters are freaked out.

It did seem to have a more indepth plot than G-Gundam so I'm looking forwards to seeing where this goes, it also seemed more serious which was the main difference I was actually expecting between this and G-Gundam. As an SRW fan and mech fan I like what this show is giving me as of the first episode and if the different country's robots are going to fight like this and bigger I think I'll enjoy it especially if the story surprises me with something cool like how
Spoiler:

The spoiler is for G-Gundam and not huge spoiler but I want to not ruin it for anyone who wants to watch it without being spoiled at all

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2007-04-05 at 00:05.
Old 2007-04-04, 23:51   Link #31
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Wow 8 posts and nobody has taken a cheap shot at G-Gundam. Good job everybody. Now then this is the one with like designs by a whole bunch of legendary people where they all duke it out right. Sounds fun. Now we just need the God Gundam to jump in and auto-win with Sekiha Tenkyoken. That failing I guess a young boy and loli subpilot will get the job done in his absence. America (Or as its called on the homepage "Enpire of Norse America) seems to be fighting as one so it's Canada and the U.S teamed up together. Go America, I expect no less than 2nd place. With the blessing of Mighty Thor might you smite thine enemy and survive the fires of Ragnarok. Bet this ends up with Japan preaching to everybody about the values of working together and making peace with everybody else to fight a common enemy (The Devil Gundam maybe)
Old 2007-04-05, 12:54   Link #32
DangerMouse

I honestly would really like that particularly thing again, I want to see all of those cool mechs team up on something in the end for some massive showdown
Old 2007-04-05, 19:35   Link #33
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
It seems to me that they put 99% of their budget into getting the mecha designers and doing the animation, and spent only 1% on getting a character designer....the characters are butt ugly. I would prefer not to think if I have ever seen worse, because if I have seen worse and ended up remembering, it would melt my brain.

So why are the character deigns shown in the ED credits so ****ing good then????? Why don't they use those for the episode????????????????????
Old 2007-04-05, 21:31   Link #34
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Wow 8 posts and nobody has taken a cheap shot at G-Gundam. Good job everybody.
Heh, G-Gundam while cheesy was full of so much awesomeness, I had fun watching that show.
Old 2007-04-05, 21:52   Link #35
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Well, I enjoyed that episode, too. Mainly for the characters and the look and action of the mecha. I take a childish delight in most 3DCG, it appears, so that didn't bother me.

I got used to the character design, which is partly by a key animator for Kamichu and partly by the character designer for Kiddy Grade. I never really got used to Fantastic Children, for example.

But why did the invader let Susanoo just stand there crippled for so long, and not blast it into smithereens? And why did it seem to take so little to get the invader to turn tail?

But I loved how the passage of the mecha flipped cars over like bowling pins. Is that a normal thing?
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2007-04-05 at 22:07.
Old 2007-04-05, 23:20   Link #36
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Well, I enjoyed that episode, too. Mainly for the characters and the look and action of the mecha. I take a childish delight in most 3DCG, it appears, so that didn't bother me.

I got used to the character design, which is partly by a key animator for Kamichu and partly by the character designer for Kiddy Grade. I never really got used to Fantastic Children, for example.

But why did the invader let Susanoo just stand there crippled for so long, and not blast it into smithereens? And why did it seem to take so little to get the invader to turn tail?

But I loved how the passage of the mecha flipped cars over like bowling pins. Is that a normal thing?
Wait there's a character named Susanoo, as in Grass Tooth Susanoo who slew the Orochi. Are we getting the Orochi legend in this one do you think?
Old 2007-04-05, 23:24   Link #37
Dark Lord Zenigame
ロリコン

Send a message via AIM to Dark Lord Zenigame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
It seems to me that they put 99% of their budget into getting the mecha designers and doing the animation, and spent only 1% on getting a character designer....the characters are butt ugly. I would prefer not to think if I have ever seen worse, because if I have seen worse and ended up remembering, it would melt my brain.

So why are the character deigns shown in the ED credits so ****ing good then????? Why don't they use those for the episode????????????????????
SERIOUSLY.

I was wondering the exact same thing after watching the episode.

It's one thing to have meh charadesigns, but another thing entirely to have nice ones and just decide not to use them. ._.
Old 2007-04-05, 23:29   Link #38
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Everybody do a google image search for Kishin Gigantic Formula and check out the crazy stuff that happens.
Old 2007-04-05, 23:39   Link #39
aardvark

The designs in the ED were the original character designs by Megumi Kadonosono. Much more generic than the actual anime designs imo, I'm glad they didn't use them for the actual show.

I much prefer Koji Yabuno's exagerated Kamichu-like designs, they have a lot more charm.

Comparison, for the sake of it:
Spoiler:

Last edited by aardvark; 2007-04-06 at 00:08.
Old 2007-04-06, 04:22   Link #40
Zappster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Wait there's a character named Susanoo, as in Grass Tooth Susanoo who slew the Orochi. Are we getting the Orochi legend in this one do you think?
That's the name of the japanese mech and they are referred to as Gigantics I think (at least that's what I seemed to gather from watching the raw).

Also glad to see I'm not the only one that liked the character designs or at the very least didn't mind them. I didn't think they were as bad as Shinji103 made out anyway.

I'm also thinking the same things as Kaoru. Why didn't the attacker finish the job off? I mean pulling off the other arm would perhaps have done it. Unless this chosen kid is that damn good that he can take them out without needing those arms. From looking at the main site it seems they were attacked by the Gigantic from "Centrate China".

I enjoyed the first episode so I'll stick to watching it raw for the time being. Hopefully someone can post some summaries or we'll get some subs eventually so I can understand more about what was going on in that first episode.
Closed Thread

Tags
mecha, supernatural