Notices

Old 2013-03-27, 22:26   Link #21
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

So this time the aliens win
Old 2013-03-27, 22:30   Link #22
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well there was always that question, "What happens after they take out the mothership?" The aliens are still there and all.
Old 2013-03-27, 22:43   Link #23
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Well there was always that question, "What happens after they take out the mothership?" The aliens are still there and all.
With literally thousands of tonnes of alien technology left over from the last conflict, it would not be difficult to build our own flying battleships and energy weapons. It would be a VERY different film from the original. More like Stargate than anything.
Old 2013-03-28, 04:36   Link #24
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Jeez has it been a while since I last watched the first movie. I don't know, was I in fourth grade? Either way, seeing this come back with a sequel astonishes me.
Old 2013-03-28, 04:50   Link #25
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
I think District 9 already answered that question. Kinda.
Old 2013-03-28, 07:34   Link #26
Dragonkid11
A random-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
I think District 9 already answered that question. Kinda.
Except that human cannot figure out how to use alien technology in District 9 even after 30 years.
Dragonkid11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-28, 07:45   Link #27
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

20 years is a really long time. According to the first post of this thread, the aliens actually only just got here after realising their first attack failed. As in, the aliens could have brought any ships and weapons that they already had around when the first film took place, but they don't have any time to change anything. This means humans would be dealing with the same tech level as before, but perhaps more hard hitting and less weaknesses.

So a question is if humans manage to catch up tech wise. 20 years means many young people never met the aliens, but plenty of adult soldiers have first hand memories of them.

So, what would you do in their position? Fortress cities? Training all citizens? Choices, choices. You have limited time and resources.
Old 2013-03-28, 10:44   Link #28
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonkid11 View Post
Except that human cannot figure out how to use alien technology in District 9 even after 30 years.
That’s why I said “kinda”. Jeez, can’t we have a light conversation anymore here? "Why so serious", dude?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
20 years is a really long time. According to the first post of this thread, the aliens actually only just got here after realising their first attack failed. As in, the aliens could have brought any ships and weapons that they already had around when the first film took place, but they don't have any time to change anything. This means humans would be dealing with the same tech level as before, but perhaps more hard hitting and less weaknesses.

So a question is if humans manage to catch up tech wise. 20 years means many young people never met the aliens, but plenty of adult soldiers have first hand memories of them.

So, what would you do in their position? Fortress cities? Training all citizens? Choices, choices. You have limited time and resources.
What makes me confused is, in the first film, they suggested that the aliens we saw is already all of them since they’re moving from planet to planet to drain the natural resources using that big mothership. But now suddenly there are other motherships carrying aliens of the same kind? I don’t know. Maybe those aliens are like Macross fleets. Different fleets exploring different sides of galaxy maybe? We’ll see. One thing for sure, they don't have a home-planet unless they retcon that information given by the alien directly to Prez Whitmore in the first movie.
Old 2013-03-28, 11:26   Link #29
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
That’s why I said “kinda”. Jeez, can’t we have a light conversation anymore here? "Why so serious", dude?

What makes me confused is, in the first film, they suggested that the aliens we saw is already all of them since they’re moving from planet to planet to drain the natural resources using that big mothership. But now suddenly there are other motherships carrying aliens of the same kind? I don’t know. Maybe those aliens are like Macross fleets. Different fleets exploring different sides of galaxy maybe? We’ll see. One thing for sure, they don't have a home-planet unless they retcon that information given by the alien directly to Prez Whitmore in the first movie.
i don't think the movie ever said either way. Just that they hop form planet to planet like a plague of locust and used up all the planet's resource before moving to next target.
Old 2013-03-28, 11:40   Link #30
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
i don't think the movie ever said either way. Just that they hop form planet to planet like a plague of locust and used up all the planet's resource before moving to next target.
Yes, like I said, the movie never really said it. I also hope that it’s not all of them. It’d be really lame if the humans ended up doing the genocide instead of the invading aliens (Only three days after the aliens reveal themselves to the lowly humans. Poor aliens).
Old 2013-03-28, 12:03   Link #31
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Yes, like I said, the movie never really said it. I also hope that it’s not all of them. It’d be really lame if the humans ended up doing the genocide instead of the invading aliens (Only three days after the aliens reveal themselves to the lowly humans. Poor aliens).
when it is us or them i vote genocide.
Old 2013-03-28, 12:06   Link #32
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Ender's Game?
Old 2013-03-28, 12:12   Link #33
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
when it is us or them i vote genocide.
Hey, don’t get me wrong. In that situation, just like Prez Whitmore, I will also say “Nuke the bastards!!!”.
Old 2013-03-28, 12:17   Link #34
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Well, if R. Emmerich stays true to his propensity for large-scale disaster/devastation, he might opt for ideas such as chucking relativistic projectiles or alien-made asteroids at Earth, as preemptive strikes to once again get the humans in a pinch.

Then the humans realized how f-ed they are because the aliens now have antivirus software.

And everything gets solved at the end, when the aliens realize their Kaspersky license expired while they were busy glassing the planet, thus allowing humans to sneak in a trojan or carry out a massive DDOS attack that will cause a complete computer/server crash.

Yeah, ideas, ideas...
Old 2013-03-28, 12:24   Link #35
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Lightyears of advanced technology and those aliens never develop any kind of computer antivirus...

They should’ve recruited some human IT gurus before they scorched the earth in the first movie .
Old 2013-03-28, 12:31   Link #36
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The computer virus/crash only really effected their shields. The destruction of the alien craft was still done the conventional and nuclear way.
Old 2013-03-28, 12:34   Link #37
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
The computer virus/crash only really effected their shields. The destruction of the alien craft was still done the conventional and nuclear way.
We all know that. But the shield crashing (due to the virus) is one of the main key factors of their doom by the human hands in ID4.
Old 2013-03-28, 12:41   Link #38
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I seem to recall that in the late 80s and early 90s, the computer virus as a major weapon was frequent in sci-fi. In the days before a wide spread internet and before anti-virus protection was considered common.

There was even a Star Trek episode were they lost a starship to a virus and the solution became a simple "reboot the system from backups" solution. There was no defense against a virus in the 24th century and it seemed like something that had never happened before to the Federation. Even later on it ssemed like getting into Star Trek universe computers wasn't all that hard, with only massive encription keys able to lock out sections of the computer.
Old 2013-03-28, 12:51   Link #39
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
There was even a Star Trek episode were they lost a starship to a virus and the solution became a simple "reboot the system from backups" solution. There was no defense against a virus in the 24th century and it seemed like something that had never happened before to the Federation. Even later on it ssemed like getting into Star Trek universe computers wasn't all that hard, with only massive encription keys able to lock out sections of the computer.
Yeah, when we see it now, that really sounds ironic. No major concern regarding virus attacks in 24th century is just plain ridiculous. But I admit the logic can work during the time those Star Trek episodes are made.
Old 2013-03-28, 12:56   Link #40
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Yeah, back in those days viruses are written to infect specific computers, because there are so few real networks. No standardised operating system, no standardised protocol. The idea that someone who doesn't even know you on the other side of the planet might destroy your computer by random chance with a generic virus is simply unthinkable.