Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-10-11, 10:54   Link #21
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Nope only Madoka. Sucks for the rest.

But seriously who actually takes the Newtype Awards seriously? It's basically the fans paying tribute to what they already liked in the first place and of course they're going to overwhelmingly go with whatever was the most popular thing at the time of the vote. Year after year really it's whatever was the most popular show, Mamoru Miyano always wins for something cause he's the most popular voice actor out there (though I do think his talent lives up to his popularity, but that's neither here nor there, nor relevant in the long run), and the awards seem handpicked to please the otaku and the fan boys since it basically is chosen by them. One big love in by the fandom for the fandom.....democracy inaction. It's the Tokyo Anime Fair awards and the like that you actually want to pay attention to and even then only with the keen eye of a skeptic aware of Japanese tendency to advertise and go with the flow of the hegemony in the guise of giving honors to something (see Famitsu).

I mean it's nice for Madoka to err...win....a whole bunch of these....I guess....but it doesn't really mean much in my opinion and has a net zero effect on my opinion of a show I already liked pretty much anyway, same as it's likely to for the people that voted for it other than that sense of comfort that some otaku get from reading publications like Famitsu and seeing their favorite franchises scored highly by a willing panel. In the end a fun exercise that gets anime fandom involved over there and keeps people reading Newtype, but IMO a pretty empty one in terms of actual long term value to anyone but the participants. Not even Newtype really gets anything from it in terms of market research since it doesn't take a Don Draper like mind to realize that Madoka is extremely popular.

edit: It occurs to me that I was thinking of the Animation Kobe awards, but it's basically the exact same idea. They're all basically the same to me at this point.
I agree, this is pretty much what I think as well.
I don't really see this doing much other than show us that Madoka was popular but then doesn't take a genius to figure that out.
And no doubt next time Fate/Zero will run away with the awards.

question, OP has "Favorite Game" but I don't see that in the results expect for "Game Opening Animation", is that the same thing?
Old 2011-10-11, 11:10   Link #22
FlavorOfLife
Uncaring

It seems a few people missed the point.

Madoka won so many categories simply because it is not a common anime (note that it also won the Animation Kobe award). That and this is not just a internet voting poll. This was part of the physical animation festival that newtype set up. They are angling this to be a annual thing, not simply a poll in their magazine.
FlavorOfLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-11, 11:29   Link #23
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlavorOfLife View Post

Madoka won so many categories simply because it is not a common anime (note that it also won the Animation Kobe award). That and this is not just a internet voting poll. This was part of the physical animation festival that newtype set up. They are angling this to be a annual thing, not simply a poll in their magazine.
I wasn't bashing Madoka winning cause it deserves it's win it's a great show but even if Newtype is pushing this as an annual thing, do we really need it when there are already others.
Altho then I really don't know how many there are besides the Animation Kobe mentioned.

Well truth be told, I don't generally hold any of these polls in high regard, while they can be of interest to pass time with and see what everyone thinks but then this poll really doesn't tell much about anime other than that Madoka is popular.
Old 2011-10-11, 13:25   Link #24
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlavorOfLife View Post

Of course it won the Animation Kobe award, it was a mega hit, that's a given. It's not that uncommon at all for a popular show to essentially sweep in these sorts of things. Actually for the longest time it was basically whatever Sunrise or Bones was doing. Code Geass essentially swept up the majority of these types of awards in it's year, and K-On! another. What do these two shows have in common? They were mega-hits and very popular in their time. The way I see it all these types of awards really serve to do is reaffirm fandoms own love for their favorite shows and thus I don't really see the point. Making it a community event though might serve extra purpose I suppose depending on what they plan to do with it, but I'd kind of have to see what that entails.

Personally I prefer the type of award ceremony where there's a chance a lesser known hidden gem may be brought to light as opposed to the like where whatever is popular just dominates. That's sort of how I found out about the movie Colorful and I don't think I might have otherwise if I didn't know about it's winning of some big awards inside and outside the country of Japan. Needless to say I tend to prefer critics choice type awards as opposed to ones voted on by the fandom itself for this very reason.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-12, 18:30   Link #25
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
I'd tend to agree that Hanasaku Iroha's character designs were great (as opposed to my girlfriend who thinks it looks too shoujo), but I'm not surprised they lost to Madoka. The latter's fantasy elements simply gave it more leeway for awesome costumes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
The problem is that they broke it down by different elements (photography, art, color design, effects, etc...) instead of by different genres. Worse still, I'm not even sure what the substantive difference between "photography", "art", and "color design" is. So if the most popular show is generally good looking, it will simply sweep loads of these, unless there's two shows at the top very tight in popularity (which obviously wasn't the case this year).
What! I was really expecting you guys to cheer on PA works a bit more. Oh well, it's fine, you guys aren't rageoholics, haha.

Quote:
Now, if you had different genres, Steins;Gate may have taken "sci-fi", Anohana may have taken "drama", etc...

So, anyway, I get your disappointment, and I think the way to avoid something like this happening next year would be for NewType to go with a different format.
Hmm, yea I guess my problems were with the categories. I guess I don't see it as encompassing everything that represents what I'd say is "quality"

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-12, 18:38   Link #26
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
What! I was really expecting you guys to cheer on PA works a bit more. Oh well, it's fine, you guys aren't rageoholics,
Oi now, I don't recall raging about these awards. Tbh I don't really care.

Though you are right, I did rage hard because Hanasaku Iroha ended up possibly the biggest disappointment of the year for me (actually that's not true. That's called Persona 4).
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-12, 18:41   Link #27
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiSoda View Post
Oi now, I don't recall raging about these awards. Tbh I don't really care.

Though you are right, I did rage hard because Hanasaku Iroha ended up possibly the biggest disappointment of the year for me (actually that's not true. That's called Persona 4).
XD I didn't accuse you of raging over the awards. It's just that Pa works+ you= rage. And PA works's Hana Iro was being discussed.

Ok, that proved to be a derailment. Let's go complain about Persona over there.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-12, 19:28   Link #28
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
What! I was really expecting you guys to cheer on PA works a bit more. Oh well, it's fine, you guys aren't rageoholics, haha.
As much as I love P.A. Works visuals, I'm also a big SHAFT fan.

Also, as much as I like True Tears, I have Madoka Magica rated a bit higher than it on my favorite anime shows of all-time list (my Anime Suki favorites list is in order from top to bottom, although the top five are interchangeable).

But yeah, it would have been nice if Hanasaku Iroha had won one of the visual categories at least. "Photography" they arguably deserved to win, as Hanasaku Iroha had a lot of shots that are perfect for postcards.
Old 2011-10-13, 08:42   Link #29
Westlo
Lets be reality

smh @ Newtype readers for this...

Mechanical design
1. Tiger & Bunny
2. Gundam Unicorn
3. IS

T&B > Unicorn? In a Newtype magazine? *faints*

A few posters on Neogaf translated most of the categories, spread over this page.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthre...46174&page=123

Was surprised to see the Penguin #2 is the clear fav of the Penguins in MPD, at least going by this poll.

Best mascot:
1. Kyuubey
2. Penguin No. 2
3. Sakamoto-san (Nichijou)
4. Kuro (Ao no Exorcist)
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-14, 14:59   Link #30
FlavorOfLife
Uncaring

I believe the difference between the art and photography sections is that photography is actually on the use of angles and lighting. Art is probably the detailedness of the backgrounds and creative art use.

In this two categories, i see no one beating Madoka this season. Stein;s Gate's use of lighting to enhance the mood was not good enough as it led to many shots that were really just too dark. Yes it creates a mood of tension but when you're straining to make out the characters, its just not well done. Most of the other anime are either singularly lit or lighting is totally ignored. Possibly Denpa's sparkles but thats just too minor a use. Contrast to the use of lighting to create unease in Kyubei and the very wierd witch styles (which from an art point of view is actually pretty creative), its hard to beat.

Color design is pretty self explainatory since it just talks about colors.
FlavorOfLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-18, 23:29   Link #31
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

DAYUM. Madoka Magica totally deserves all of these awards. Well done SHAFT!! *applause* Now, if only that so called madoka sequel won't ruin it all. DX

btw, BANZAI CHIWA SAITOU AND AOI YUUKI!!! and dang, Okabe deserves it too!! LOL. And Ofc, Homerun ftw!!!
BaKaBaKaOtaKu is offline   Reply With Quote