Old 2007-04-08, 06:20   Link #21
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince leon View Post
Summary+Screenshots+OP/ED links

Spoiler:
I agree about Zola and the music too. Overall it's not bad, but not particularly orginal, at least if you know Toriyama's works. Zola's definately the major bonus though - her design stands out from the others as clearly having a lot more attention and her seiyuu (Romi Paku) is perfect for the role. Plus she rocks when the action got going. There's some neat ideas (shark-like ships, the punch gun etc...) sitting alongside the Toriyama back catalogue of cliches (chick on scooter, annoying male lead with bad hair, fat sidekick, dumb villains etc...). I think there's was a little nod to Nausicaa too, with Zola riding those chocobos and the secluded valley invaded by the military ships.

I'm not sure I'd follow this unless it a) doesn't have endless power-ups and b) actually does something unpredictable. I can probably shake the DBZ memories if it surprises me, but for now I'll give it a few eps and see if it develops. I liked the ED though, the way the characters were presented. Thought that was cool.
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 12:14   Link #22
prince leon
red knight

Agreed on the interesting designs. I mean, Shark ships? And Kluk's gun was hilarious.

I need a few more episodes to decide whether or not I'll continue to follow it but so far Zola and Uematsu Nobou's musical talents have my attention.
Old 2007-04-08, 14:15   Link #23
mist2123
Banned

Send a message via AIM to mist2123
the guy looks like goku!!!!
mist2123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 15:08   Link #24
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince leon View Post
I need a few more episodes to decide whether or not I'll continue to follow it but so far Zola and Uematsu Nobou's musical talents have my attention.
I'd hazard a guess that the anime soundtrack is more Megumi Oohashi's doing that Uematsu's. She's credited alongside him and this probably means she's taken the themes from the game and 'elaborated' on them for the anime - with little or no input from Uematsu beside some quality checking maybe. Oohashi is a talented enough composer in her own right and has more anime experience on her side. She did the excellent score for The Third, which is similarly epic.
Old 2007-04-08, 15:16   Link #25
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonhex View Post
I'd hazard a guess that the anime soundtrack is more Megumi Oohashi's doing that Uematsu's. She's credited alongside him and this probably means she's taken the themes from the game and 'elaborated' on them for the anime - with little or no input from Uematsu beside some quality checking maybe. Oohashi is a talented enough composer in her own right and has more anime experience on her side. She did the excellent score for The Third, which is similarly epic.
I loved Oohashi's The Third soundtrack as well as the one for both parts of the all-cg gundam OVA series Igloo, so many wonderful, often epic, tracks in both of those. If she's involved in the soundtrack I think I will be continuing to watch this for adventurous fun unless it becomes a total train wreck.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 15:29   Link #26
prince leon
red knight

Oh yes, I remember her score from The Third. Quite excellent. Well then, if she's involved more than Uematsu then that's just as good too.
Old 2007-04-09, 12:21   Link #27
Super Ska Master

I was never impressed by mr. toriyama's work and I doubt this will change my mind. DBZ was good when I was a kid but now it's kind of meh. And Dr. Slump was just downright horrible.
Super Ska Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-09, 13:02   Link #28
Allamanda
Kiyu Fan

So far, Uematsu has never worked on this, with many themes from his sounctrack for the game being used (rearranged) again. He says maybe he will compose something, though.
Allamanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 05:29   Link #29
Yazuka
Xenosaga Freak

So there are still no one subbing this anime?
Yazuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 07:28   Link #30
hi no ken Jebus

Spoiler for ep 2:
hi no ken Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 18:27   Link #31
Sentou Ryoku

Just wondering, are any fansub groups going to tackle this series or are they staying away from it since it's coming to the US anyway?
Sentou Ryoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 18:37   Link #32
Koroku
formerly JKaizer
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to Koroku Send a message via MSN to Koroku Send a message via Yahoo to Koroku
DATS is just waiting for a certain someone to check it over and then it's off to encode =/
Old 2007-04-14, 19:10   Link #33
Ban_Mido

I love the Opening! My Friend! My Friend!

I'm waiting sub now.
Old 2007-04-15, 06:57   Link #34
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

The OP is growing on me, though I do like the ED theme alot more.

Watched ep 2 and I find myself enjoying this more than I thought, and the animation is surprisingly solid two eps in. On the downside, and this is my real fear, there is the early hint of posturing and the potential for endless TALKING rather than FIGHTING. Though let's hope we don't go further down that route than this. Zola continues to rock and, despite some reused sequences, the whole show really comes to life when she's on screen i.e away from Shu and his disposable friends, who is just plain annoying at the moment.

However episode 2 shows that BD does not take itself at all seriously: at a moment of tension, when Shu should be summoning the Blue Dragon (squatting and grimacing like his DB/DBZ ancestors) instead we get a FART. I think this alone deserves praise for totally derailing expectations. Silly and childish yet somehow did more to convince me this show may be worth the long haul. Reminds me of the crude humour from the original DB series.

I haven't played the game but I'm guessing Kluke has a shadow? I've warmed to her slightly after she reveals the most inappropriate mecha fetish since Winry Rockbell
Old 2007-04-16, 05:54   Link #35
Sentou Ryoku

Quote:
DATS is just waiting for a certain someone to check it over and then it's off to encode =/
Sorry to be a skeptic, but is that for real? If yes, then freakin' HOORAY!

=S=
Old 2007-04-16, 11:49   Link #36
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Bwahaha! Viz Media has master license!

http://animeondvd.com/news/pr.php?pr_view=1014
darkchibi07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-16, 13:17   Link #37
Koroku
formerly JKaizer
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to Koroku Send a message via MSN to Koroku Send a message via Yahoo to Koroku
That's a surprise.

Though better Viz than say... 4kids
Old 2007-04-16, 14:41   Link #38
Sentou Ryoku

Crap...Does that mean DATS is going to drop it now?
Old 2007-04-16, 16:32   Link #39
digiboy123
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to digiboy123
No, DATS is still doing it, until a certain time. It's on our forum.
digiboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-19, 13:06   Link #40
masama
use the fōrks ~

this thread is a bit dead isn't it? This anime deserves more love

I find Blue Dragon very fun to watch and it has this good old classic feel to it. I really like the art style, it reminds me of Dragon Ball... well they are essentially the same

everything they do you can find the equivalent Dragon Ball reference, ROFL everytime they are in the squat position and go "AAAAaaaARRrrRRRGGGGGgGHHHHHHH"

I think we can expect a Blue Dragon Z

YAY @
Spoiler for ep2:
masama is offline   Reply With Quote