AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-05-17, 06:44   Link #4001
aegisofrime
Yuki Nagato Worshipper

I personally like how KyoAni actually fleshes out the episodes, like creating the two insert songs for Live Alive. For those that did not read the light novels.

Spoiler for Haruhi Light Novel Slight Spoilers:

And of course the space battle for The Day of Sagittarius.
Old 2009-05-17, 06:52   Link #4002
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisofrime View Post
And of course the space battle for The Day of Sagittarius.
You got to thank Full Metal Panic's author, Shoji Gatoh, for that. He wrote the script for that episode.
Old 2009-05-17, 06:58   Link #4003
Jintor

I'd like to think that KyoAni would like to create a quality anime, and not just rake in the cash.

Maybe wistful thinking but who knows?
Old 2009-05-17, 07:03   Link #4004
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintor View Post
I'd like to think that KyoAni would like to create a quality anime, and not just rake in the cash.

Maybe wistful thinking but who knows?
KyoAni isn't making quality anime?
Old 2009-05-17, 07:04   Link #4005
Jintor

Well, the people above are saying 'I guess KyoAni would rather make moeslag and make the same money than haruhi s2', so I was just refuting that.

With WISTFUL THINKING.
Old 2009-05-17, 07:10   Link #4006
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
KyoAni isn't making quality anime?
K-ON and Munto are quality anime?
Old 2009-05-17, 07:14   Link #4007
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintor View Post
Well, the people above are saying 'I guess KyoAni would rather make moeslag and make the same money than haruhi s2', so I was just refuting that.

With WISTFUL THINKING.
K-on is a moe manga. So KyoAni made a moe K-on anime. A job is a job. And K-on's target audience is happy enough.

By the way, I found the backlash against moe online to be terribly childish. Especially since it is mostly people complaining about the existence of anime that they weren't even the target audience for.
(As a comparison, it's like someone who hates mecha anime complaining about there being "another Gundam, why won't they stop making them! I hate them, so Sunrise should stop making Gundams because i said so!")
Old 2009-05-17, 07:18   Link #4008
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Especially since it is mostly people complaining about the existence of anime that they weren't even the target audience for.
Just because it's not intended for me doesn't make it baseline trash.

Just sayin'. It's a very shallow show.
Old 2009-05-17, 07:20   Link #4009
aegisofrime
Yuki Nagato Worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Just because it's not intended for me doesn't make it baseline trash.

Just sayin'. It's a very shallow show.
Since we are on the topic of K-on!, I have a question. I have been thinking of trying it, but if my favourite anime are Haruhi, Monster, Ghost in The Shell, Ouran and the like, would I like K-On?
Old 2009-05-17, 07:22   Link #4010
Jintor

Maybe.

There's really no way to predict. I liked Lucky Star, but a lot of people who loved Haruhi (and the other stuff I like) hated Lucky Star.
Old 2009-05-17, 07:24   Link #4011
aegisofrime
Yuki Nagato Worshipper

I loved Haruhi, but Lucky Star is only above average for me. The characters are definitely very moe, but the plot is really lacking.

Then again, since it's a slice of life anime maybe I shouldn't have expected any plot from it.

As for K-on!, I guess there's no harm trying one episode, eh?
Old 2009-05-17, 07:32   Link #4012
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

K-On is like Lucky Star but without the humor.

Or at least without the funny humor.
Old 2009-05-17, 07:33   Link #4013
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Quote:
(As a comparison, it's like someone who hates mecha anime complaining about there being "another Gundam, why won't they stop making them! I hate them, so Sunrise should stop making Gundams because i said so!")
But... it'd be okay for someone who likes the genre to complain about the never ending line of Gundam shows, right?
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-05-17, 07:36   Link #4014
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
But... it'd be okay for someone who likes the genre to complain about the never ending line of Gundam shows, right?
Since I've noticed a lot of mecha fans doing just that, I suppose so.
Old 2009-05-17, 07:54   Link #4015
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
K-on is a moe manga. So KyoAni made a moe K-on anime. A job is a job. And K-on's target audience is happy enough.

By the way, I found the backlash against moe online to be terribly childish. Especially since it is mostly people complaining about the existence of anime that they weren't even the target audience for.
It's not what they make, but what they make of it. To me K-On has just been too bare bones moe antics and ambitionless so far and it's like with each passing episode it actually gets less involving and more a parade of the girls working their same old gags and moe quirks that they've had going on for the past 7 episodes. Yeah maybe that's what it's aiming for, but that still leaves it in the realm of average to below average from a critical point of view such as my own. Heck I'd like to think even the slightest inkling towards a critical POV for K-On would lead one to see it somewhat as wasted potential. There's so much more they could be doing with the characters and premise that I've made note of at every turn. This is something Haruhi did quite frequently, it had some layers to it's moe overtones that give it a little depth. I didn't find it as stupendous as a lot of people did, but I won't deny that it was about and showcased ambition, thinking outside the box and a hint of cleverness in how it presented it's sequence of events, even if some aspects were essentially gimmicks. Even then like Haruhi herself it was as if the series would come up with an idea and then said, "why settle just for this? let's augment it with this because it will make things more interesting". Not so with K-On.

People seem to have somehow attributed this taking things further and thinking outside the box to Kyoani over the years, but if you ask me it was strictly a Haruhi thing that relates to this series spirit but that somehow mistakenly got associated with the company thanks to the show's high profile. To me though when it comes to Kyoani as I view it seperated from it's adaptation's and as a business I think of but two things, playing it safe and catering to moe crowds. Anyway, that's my two cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Since I've noticed a lot of mecha fans doing just that, I suppose so.
The thing with Gundam is that either the series are additions to existing timelines that add to the lore and character histories, or they are reimaginings of the franchise and it's core ideas, sometimes ever so slightly, but often significantly such that it keeps things interesting. 30 years and the franchise is still going strong thanks to it's ability to reinvent itself and keep the imagination of both the creators and fans working. Of course then you have those fans that are deadlocked on an idea of what Gundam is supposed to be to the point where they won't accept anything else but a Gundam series that subscribes to that set of ideals. Those are probably the "fans" you are seeing and I'm afraid they don't have much of an imagination.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2009-05-17 at 08:07.
Old 2009-05-17, 08:10   Link #4016
Joe4evr
(Ex-)Seitenkan VN coder

Location: Slightly south-west of the exact center of this country's X and Y axes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisofrime View Post
I loved Haruhi, but Lucky Star is only above average for me. The characters are definitely very moe, but the plot is really lacking.
Since when did Lucky Star have a plot?
Old 2009-05-17, 08:10   Link #4017
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Well that's partially because they aren't particularly skilled when it comes to originality. One deviation from a script could be really unfortunate.

I would just like to say that I don't get that hard work vibe from anything Kyoani as of late or even that they are really trying to apply themselves. More like find what moe trends are popular on 2ch, find a manga, game or light novel that contains those popular moe elements, take it and toss it out there. I would almost be tempted to argue that the reason we haven't seen another second Haruhi season is precisely because it would be too much of a challenge and investment and that they can pretty much make the same amount of money by doing something like K-On anyway.
Au contraire, mon frère. I see KyoAni's recent outputting of simple, low effort anime as evidence that they have been making Haruhi as well, on the side. As a company who for the first time is about to start handling multiple notable products at the same time, are you going to aim for two monster projects, say, Haruhi S2 and FMP S4, or are you going to take it a little easier to make sure you can put all proper effort into one major project while churning out more low effort product that will still rake in the dough?
Old 2009-05-17, 08:18   Link #4018
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Au contraire, mon frère. I see KyoAni's recent outputting of simple, low effort anime as evidence that they have been making Haruhi as well, on the side. As a company who for the first time is about to start handling multiple notable products at the same time, are you going to aim for two monster projects, say, Haruhi S2 and FMP S4, or are you going to take it a little easier to make sure you can put all proper effort into one major project while churning out more low effort product that will still rake in the dough?
Do you have any evidence or a theoretical basis to back up any this? Where is it that you are getting that they are going to start handling multiple "notable products" at the same time? What constitutes notable? What makes you think that this is their modus operandi?
Old 2009-05-17, 08:26   Link #4019
Jintor

Wistful thinking.

However, it is a valid theory, in that it has about as much evidence backing it up as your two cents does.
Old 2009-05-17, 08:41   Link #4020
Bri

There is certainly a suspicion that Kyoani is working on a non disclosed project.

From the FMP sub forum: http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...70#post2390870

Takemoto Yasuhiro was the director on Haruhi-chan, Churuya-san, LS and FMP TSR.

Haruhi S2 is the most likely suspect for this project.

Last edited by Bri; 2009-05-17 at 11:07.
Closed Thread

Tags
comedy, kadokawa, school life, science fiction, shounen