raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

The Sheryl one is still coming soon..
Old 2011-05-23, 07:22   Link #402
sa547
*Author

^
I am so impressed! Will wait for the next installment.
Old 2011-05-26, 15:08   Link #403
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

Here's the Sheryl one:

Old 2011-05-26, 15:34   Link #404
Irisiel

The intro with the valkyrie was great! Is it bad that I find the giant transforming robots to be the best dancers in both the clips?
Irisiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-26, 21:18   Link #405
Darthtabby

Those are both extremely cool. I take it they're both fan made? (Edit: scratch that, looks like they're related to a MF Pachinko game.)

Much as I'm a Sheryl fan I kind of feel the Ranka one works a bit better, Sheryl seems a bit out of place in her surroundings and her movements seem a little off somehow (I was thinking they were too repetitive, but now I'm wondering if perhaps they're a bit too fast in some parts). But still both videos are very cool, and I do have t compliment the Sheryl one for that impressive bit with Alto's valkyrie near the beginning.
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-26, 21:20   Link #406
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
Those are both extremely cool. I take it they're both fan made?
Would it make them seem less cool if I told you they were professionally made ads?

'Cause yeah...I dunno. I like the idea, I like the actual motion...but the girls' faces and hair is kinda scaring me.
Old 2011-05-26, 21:43   Link #407
Darthtabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
Would it make them seem less cool if I told you they were professionally made ads?

'Cause yeah...I dunno. I like the idea, I like the actual motion...but the girls' faces and hair is kinda scaring me.
Figured that out myself when I started browsing around through related vids a bit. And yeah, it does somewhat. I tend to judge professional and fan made stuff by different standards.

I have to say I'm hoping we don't see too much CGI in the official stuff. CGI mecha is fine, it looks great. But I tend to prefer the characters themselves to be drawn 2d.
Old 2011-05-29, 08:24   Link #408
mike_s_6

Ack, the videos have been taken down due to copyright issues. I tried getting them the legit way, which is, painstakingly, going to the Macross fever website and hunting for Ai-kun. I found one, but it looks like I need a lot more to view the videos. I quit! :P
mike_s_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-29, 17:32   Link #409
Darthtabby

A nice AMV using "Liebe" here. I actually kind of like Liebe but I don't think it was the most appropriate song to include on a Christmas album. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/d9y13mAawtU

Dangit, how do I do video on here? I'm going with a link for now, the embed code I got from youtube doesn't seem to work.
Old 2011-05-30, 13:43   Link #410
Ceci-chan
(・∀ノゝ)~キラ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
"Liebe" or "Ribe" is actually about hope and prayer, and most Japanese people are religious, so Christmas is a celebration of such. So this song actually fits in with the moral of Christmas. It's better than if Diamond Crevasse or Northern Cross were on it.
I didn't get the vibe that "Liebe" is a song of hope, at least not with lyrics like:
Spoiler for length:

I thought Christmas in Japan was more of a "Let's celebrate together" holiday in Japan rather than a religious one. Someone feel free to correct if I'm wrong.

Nice video, btw, darthtabby.

|facebook.twitter|
Ceci-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-30, 17:35   Link #411
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceci-chan View Post
I thought Christmas in Japan was more of a "Let's celebrate together" holiday in Japan rather than a religious one. Someone feel free to correct if I'm wrong.
I didn't feel like correcting another one of LoveMeKags's assumptions, because we had been doing too much of that, but since you brought it up...

There is a difference between being religious and spiritual. Most people in Japan are not religious and do not subscribe to a religion. People like myself would have been considered a definite minority, since Christians consist of no more than 2 ~ 3% of the total population. The majority of Christians concentrate in the Western area, such as Nagasaki. Most people would have no idea, or care about the meaning of Christmas, other than it being a holiday to decorate trees, shopping, trade gifts and eat a lot... etc.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.

Last edited by Tak; 2011-05-30 at 20:20.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-30, 23:33   Link #412
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Actually...it's a 'holiday' for lovers in Japan... You're meant to spend Christmas Eve/Christmas with your gf/bf/partner/spouse...

And if I'm not mistaken, "liebe" is German for "love"...

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-31, 00:42   Link #413
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
Actually...it's a 'holiday' for lovers in Japan... You're meant to spend Christmas Eve/Christmas with your gf/bf/partner/spouse...
Oh sure, but its not exclusively for lovers.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2011-05-31, 00:57   Link #414
Darthtabby

I probably would have preferred it if you'd let me post the video myself, but thanks for the help anyway LMK. At least I know how to do it for the next video now.

I believe Karice is right about Christmas being a lover's holiday in Japan. With that in mind the title for Liebe is appropriate... it's just that the combination of the lyrics and how it sounds doesn't seem appropriate for such a happy occasion. Then again "Merry Christmas Without You" doesn't seem entirely appropriate for a romantic holiday either. :lol:

I think this is a pretty awesome video, even if anyone who saw it without previous knowledge of the series would probably get a completely incorrect impression about what it was about. :lol:

Last edited by Darthtabby; 2011-05-31 at 01:07.
Old 2011-05-31, 01:43   Link #415
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Oh sure, but its not exclusively for lovers.

- Tak
*shrugs* if you say so. Most media certainly play up the lovers aspect. It's either spend time with your loved one, or do nothing all that special most of the time - though people who have no significant others may certainly get together in groups of friends or as a class ala what happened in Kimi ni Todoke. Just not all that common from what I experienced.

And besides, Christmas isn't even a (public) holiday in Japan. The big 'let's celebrate together (as a family) event' is the New Year, which takes place a week later. If you compare Japanese and Westerners, Christmas and New Year swap places in terms of significance.

edit: @Darth - nice find! I quite enjoyed that ^^

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2011-05-31 at 04:09.
Old 2011-05-31, 08:57   Link #416
Ceci-chan
(・∀ノゝ)~キラ☆

Quote:
\I think this is a pretty awesome video, even if anyone who saw it without previous knowledge of the series would probably get a completely incorrect impression about what it was about. :lol:
It definitely gives off different vibes than political-angst-sci-fi. But it's enjoyable to watch. Awesome find!

@karice; thanks for clarifying.

|facebook.twitter|
Ceci-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-31, 09:19   Link #417
Tak

Quote:
*shrugs* if you say so. Most media certainly play up the lovers aspect. It's either spend time with your loved one, or do nothing all that special most of the time - though people who have no significant others may certainly get together in groups of friends or as a class ala what happened in Kimi ni Todoke. Just not all that common from what I experienced.
I don't feel like dismissing the experience when I was a wee-bit growing up in Japan looking forward to the next Christmas. As a kid, I done stuff that had nothing to do with lovers, really, and I am not alone in that.

But what the hell, that was the 80s.

- Tak

Old 2011-05-31, 09:21   Link #418
sa547
*Author

Quote:
*blinks*

That was so sick.

The vid is far beyond my comprehension of what I learned about video editing; I mean, planning and editing work on this one really took weeks or even months to do, and this is probably a work of a real pro armed with a top-end Mac and the whole Adobe suite at his/her disposal.

I'm humbled.
Old 2011-05-31, 09:44   Link #419
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
I don't feel like dismissing the experience when I was a wee-bit growing up in Japan looking forward to the next Christmas. As a kid, I done stuff that had nothing to do with lovers, really, and I am not alone in that.

But what the hell, that was the 80s.

- Tak
I didn't say it didn't/doesn't happen...but the Japanese people I knew didn't seem to do much. Unless they were Christian...

Though I just remembered...recently(?), people started having KFC chicken dinners for Christmas...go figure Oh, and some districts put up Christmas lights and stuff too, and a typical Christmas season date would be to go and see them...

- Patrick Stokes

Old 2011-05-31, 10:45   Link #420
Tak

Quote:
I didn't say it didn't/doesn't happen...but the Japanese people I knew didn't seem to do much. Unless they were Christian...
Just pointing out that Christmas means different things to different age groups. There are different reasons to love Christmas as a kid back in the 80s, and I HAD FUN!

80s Japan was such a heaven for kids.

Quote:
Though I just remembered...recently(?), people started having KFC chicken dinners for Christmas...go figure Oh, and some districts put up Christmas lights and stuff too, and a typical Christmas season date would be to go and see them...
Yeah, for some odd reason, its either KFC or karaage. I have no idea when that tradition started.

- Tak

Last edited by Tak; 2011-05-31 at 20:54.