Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-04-13, 07:21   Link #401
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
That was plain bad, both the animation and the story. Tohka was so goddamn annoying in this episode. There has to be a limit to how insecure and dumb one can be...
THIS!!

not enough Kotori and Origami.... at least Yoshino looked cute... especially in ending song (well, Kurumi still the best in ending song though)

I hope we won't see Tohka too much... it seems the twin spirits are going to steal the spotlight next episode
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-13, 08:09   Link #402
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Ouch, Tohka's really taking a hit from the viewers after this episode. She's actually not as bad as that in the novels at all.
Old 2014-04-13, 08:13   Link #403
ZodiacBeast
Dreaming Butterfly

I still like Tohka. It's an anime original episode (with a little source material thrown in), so we'll just have to see how the next episode goes.

"Lincoln had potential. However, his weakness was he couldn't handle bullets." - Hoshimiya Kate
ZodiacBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-13, 10:43   Link #404
wm4

She is Lady Lincoln, it is my impression with Tohka so far. I don't meant
she is always so bad and she is being good for some moments....
wm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-13, 11:23   Link #405
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
Ouch, Tohka's really taking a hit from the viewers after this episode. She's actually not as bad as that in the novels at all.
I find it funny that Tohka's taking the fall for the anime producers' decision to deliberately turn her into a running joke in the anime-only part of the episode. People should cut her some slack for this one.
Old 2014-04-13, 12:30   Link #406
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigUp View Post
I find it funny that Tohka's taking the fall for the anime producers' decision to deliberately turn her into a running joke in the anime-only part of the episode. People should cut her some slack for this one.
Nah, it's much more easier to bash her (until she turns dark)

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-13, 12:48   Link #407
crimsonflair
Support Class

So general consensus on the first episode was pretty much bad. I can agree with this opinion.

One of my favorite parts of this episode is actually the ending song. I find the song and Shidou being represented here in the animation goes along well.

Any thoughts on the ending song?
crimsonflair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-13, 13:01   Link #408
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
It doesn't matter whose fault is it, the fact is Tohka was annoying as hell in this episode. That it was written by the anime writer or the light novel writer won't erase that.
Old 2014-04-13, 13:39   Link #409
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
It doesn't matter whose fault is it, the fact is Tohka was annoying as hell in this episode. That it was written by the anime writer or the light novel writer won't erase that.
Since when does a personal opinion constitute a fact?

While I generally agree with the sentiment that characters should stand in front of the writer as target for behaviour criticism, there is always the case of when that behaviour is deliberately exaggerated or not representative compared to the usual behaviour in a singular filler that doesn't have a connection to the rest of the story. And in this case I think it is fair to cut the character some slack and overlook it.
Old 2014-04-13, 13:50   Link #410
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Quote:

While I generally agree with the sentiment that characters should stand in front of the writer as target for behaviour criticism, there is always the case of when that behaviour is deliberately exaggerated or not representative compared to the usual behaviour in a singular filler that doesn't have a connection to the rest of the story. And in this case I think it is fair to cut the character some slack and overlook it.
No it doesn't. It's a filler that is a WASTE of time, that doesn't contribute to a character's development. Other than wat? Reinforce Touka's stupidity? Please....We should have an episode that uses 5 minutes to refresh our memories of Date a Live season 1 and then jump straight to the twins, especially with a series that is 10 episodes, we can't AFFORD to waste episodes.

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-13, 13:58   Link #411
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz1/2 View Post
No it doesn't. It's a filler that is a WASTE of time, that doesn't contribute to a character's development. Other than wat? Reinforce Touka's stupidity? Please....We should have an episode that uses 5 minutes to refresh our memories of Date a Live season 1 and then jump straight to the twins, especially with a series that is 10 episodes, we can't AFFORD to waste episodes.
Hmm, what are you saying, does that have anything to do with my post?

That aside, I actually agree that this filler is a waste of time. Badly animated with a filler part that more or less failed at the attempt to be humorous and (inadvertendly?) dragged a character through the mud. But actually, 10 episodes this time doesn't mean the waste of time is bigger than during the first season with 12 as they are doing one volume less. Well, this isn't any positive either, since last time around they cut volume 2 to only two episodes to make room for the filler episode 6...
Old 2014-04-13, 15:00   Link #412
shigeru212

Can someone who has read the novel please highlight the differences between episode 1 of the anime and the novel?

As others have mentioned, I feel that Tohka was a little out of character. I would like to know what really happened in the novel and what was anime-original.
shigeru212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-13, 15:05   Link #413
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by shigeru212 View Post
Can someone who has read the novel please highlight the differences between episode 1 of the anime and the novel?

As others have mentioned, I feel that Tohka was a little out of character. I would like to know what really happened in the novel and what was anime-original.
Out of my head, the Origami trial scene, the scenes with Wescott and Ellen and the Kurumi scene are novel content. The "main" dish with Tohka getting freaked out by the soap opera and misunderstanding every action by Shidou is anime filler.
Old 2014-04-13, 15:33   Link #414
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:

I'm only watching the anime, so I can't easily overlook something that happened in it. If I were a reader of the source material, then I'd be able to dismiss it as non-canon filler and move on, but the Tohka I see in the anime is the only one I know. And I didn't like what I saw this week. I hope this is the first and last time the anime writers pull this.
Old 2014-04-13, 17:52   Link #415
Death Usagi
Banned

Quote:
Out of my head, the Origami trial scene, the scenes with Wescott and Ellen and the Kurumi scene are novel content. The "main" dish with Tohka getting freaked out by the soap opera and misunderstanding every action by Shidou is anime filler.
Which was a terrible idea. They should have focused more on Origami trial more to show what kind of people Wescott and Ellen are. The staff totally went Tohka shipping this episode just for the fans I think but instead of being positive, this whole episode kind of turned negative.
Death Usagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-13, 19:39   Link #416
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

I can largely agree with the idea and concept of this filler as a means to ease the viewers back into the show instead of throwing them back into the plot after a year's absence. Toaru Majutsu no Index II did the same thing; the only differences were the success of the episode because Index 2 had a small novel arc they could compress into a first episode, thus they didn't have to risk taking anybody out of character.
What some people are forgetting though is that DAL 2's first episode isn't just filler; it's also used to set up several key plot points (which they couldn't fit into season 1) that will massively effect coming events. They also used this episode to take certain events from later volumes and get them done here so there's less cramming later. So this episode isn't a discardable filler.
That said, while the idea and premise are excellent, it's the execution that fails. Specifically the low animation quality and Tohka's uncharacteristic level of insecurity. The anime-only viewers will quickly see how uncharacteristic Tohka was this episode as season 2 progresses. Actually, just compare Tohka this episode to Tohka in season 1 and you'll see just how uncharacteristically bad the anime staff made her look this episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz1/2 View Post
Yyyyyyeah, what you're saying doesn't counter SigUp's point at all.
Old 2014-04-13, 20:05   Link #417
crimsonflair
Support Class

I finally figured out who worked on episode one.

The script writer was bye Hideki Shirane, storyboard was by Iwahate Koichi, production or direction (I don't know which one it is) was by Eguchi Daisuke, and finally the animation director was Koji Watanabe.

Another fun fact I found was that Koushi Tachibana, the author of the light novels, wrote the draft for Season 1's filler.

Source: Japanese Wikipedia and how I managed to view it was through Google Translate.
crimsonflair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-13, 20:14   Link #418
Death Usagi
Banned

So... just who was at fault here...? All of them?
Death Usagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-13, 20:15   Link #419
GDB

Who cares who's at fault? It happened, it's part of the anime, and this is the anime thread. She acted how she acted, and it was awful. Having a worse view of her because of it is perfectly valid.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-13, 20:17   Link #420
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonflair View Post
I finally figured out who worked on episode one.

The script writer was bye Hideki Shirane, storyboard was by Iwahate Koichi, production or direction (I don't know which one it is) was by Eguchi Daisuke, and finally the animation director was Koji Watanabe.

Another fun fact I found was that Koushi Tachibana, the author of the light novels, wrote the draft for Season 1's filler.

Source: Japanese Wikipedia and how I managed to view it was through Google Translate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Usagi View Post
So... just who was at fault here...? All of them?
Another fun fact: Google Translate isn't the best thing to rely on.

Tachibana wrote the original draft of the script for the episode 6 filler of season 1, and that's all he's credited for in the anime. He's not listed for episode 1 of S2 at all. This is from the same Japanese Wikipedia page. I just didn't use Google Translate.

Basically you got it backwards-ish. Tachibana worked on the season 1 filler and not the season 2 filler.

Tags
comedy, harem