AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Darker Than Black

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-04-16, 22:43   Link #421
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Yeah, that's the first thing I thought about it, and I was even thinking so before the whole incident. You know, my mind starts going crazy once they mention cyborgs . Still, I find it lacks an element that's still to be revealed, and that is how exactly are cyborgs created. The whole concept of the ghost acquisition of a cyborg in GitS was derived from how the cyborg was created and how did the "ghost" act as data. I guess this will be revealed in the future, when we learn how Contractors are created in the first place, and then, how Dolls come to be. In fact, the specific role of the Doll wasn't mentioned yet, the only line that was said (and repeated several times) was that Dolls are a "passive medium"... but we don't know for what purpose. Maybe for the keeping of "goods", whatever that term could mean.
Dolls in DtB are undoubtedly organic, though.
Old 2007-04-17, 09:30   Link #422
cmage

Are there two types of Dolls? I remember reading something that said that Yin used to be a loving young girl, so I assumed she lost her personality when she became a Doll while retaining the same body. When it comes to Chiaki, though, it's pretty obvious the Doll isn't in her body. Wonder how they made it.
Old 2007-04-17, 09:52   Link #423
Saber Cherry
Marionette

It seems to me that a 'Doll' is just a brainwashed person, probably kidnapped.
Old 2007-04-17, 10:08   Link #424
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber Cherry View Post
It seems to me that a 'Doll' is just a brainwashed person, probably kidnapped.
Not really. In episode 2

Spoiler:
Old 2007-04-17, 10:18   Link #425
cmage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinndou View Post
Not really. In episode 2

Spoiler:
I'd agree with you about Dolls being artificial, except in this post wao said:

Quote:
And about Yin, they say that ii seems that she used to be a bright girl who loved music, but obviously... Something Happened!
That leads me to believe that she was once a girl and is still in her original body, just without emotions or, um, eyesight. If she's in an artificial body, what happened to her original one? And why doesn't she act like Chiaki's Doll?
Old 2007-04-17, 10:32   Link #426
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmage View Post
I'd agree with you about Dolls being artificial, except in this post wao said:

That leads me to believe that she was once a girl and is still in her original body, just without emotions or, um, eyesight. If she's in an artificial body, what happened to her original one? And why doesn't she act like Chiaki's Doll?
Well indeed we don't know if those dolls are composed of organic and cybernetic parts, or if they're "entirely" organic. I suppose that part of those mysteries regarding them will also be one of the keys of the plot.
Old 2007-04-17, 10:37   Link #427
DangerMouse

Quote:
Well indeed we don't know if those dolls are composed of organic and cybernetic parts, or if they're "entirely" organic. I suppose that part of those mysteries regarding them will also be one of the keys of the plot.
I agree, I'm looking forwards to how they develop their concept of the Dolls and the mysteries regarding the details of them. They seem at least mostly organic (if not all) as doll Chiaki has a beating heart and all. Their humanity and the interesting info about how she used to be is probably going to make for some very interesting character development for Yin as the show progresses.
Old 2007-04-17, 11:29   Link #428
quina

Send a message via MSN to quina
now now... where is CC (Amber) girl in the OP?
Come on, I want to see her on screen already.
Old 2007-04-17, 11:32   Link #429
cmage

Quote:
Originally Posted by quina View Post
now now... where is CC (Amber) girl in the OP?
Come on, I want to see her on screen already.
She's in there. She's the girl as the end holding Hei, and she might be the floating pink lady. Hair looks similar to me, at least.
Old 2007-04-17, 11:35   Link #430
quina

Send a message via MSN to quina
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmage View Post
She's in there. She's the girl as the end holding Hei, and she might be the floating pink lady. Hair looks similar to me, at least.
lol I know that thats her in the OP, but I was asking whether when would she appear in the story :3.
How did we know her name is Amber anyway?

EDIT: nvm I found her name in the scan

Last edited by quina; 2007-04-17 at 12:12.
Old 2007-04-17, 11:40   Link #431
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

There's a interview on the official website with Yoko Kanno --- i was wondering if someone who be able to translate it for me?

http://www.d-black.net/special/index.html
Old 2007-04-17, 11:50   Link #432
cmage

Quote:
Originally Posted by quina View Post
lol I know that thats her in the OP, but I was asking whether when would she appear in the story :3.
She'll probably show up standing in the shadows sometime soon. I wouldn't expect major screentime yet, since she seems like one of those mysterious characters who like to not show up until there's more plot development. Plus, if Hei's looking for her, wouldn't she only really show up a lot near the end?
Old 2007-04-17, 12:11   Link #433
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

I sorta get "Spike and Julia" (from Cowboy Bebop) kind of vibes from Hei and Amber. If it's a similar kind of pairing, it wouldn't be surprising if Amber would rarely show up throughout the show, to create interest and more mistery around her and her relationship with Hei.
Old 2007-04-17, 12:13   Link #434
cmage

Quote:
I sorta get "Spike and Julia" (from Cowboy Bebop) kind of vibes from Hei and Amber. If it's a similar kind of pairing, it wouldn't be surprising if Amber would rarely show up throughout the show, to create interest and more mistery around her and her relationship with Hei.
Does that mean I'm allowed to root for Hei and Yin?

...Yes, I've already begun shipping.
Old 2007-04-17, 12:46   Link #435
issei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
There's a interview on the official website with Yoko Kanno --- i was wondering if someone who be able to translate it for me?

http://www.d-black.net/special/index.html
my japanese is pretty bad, but i did pick out one question/answer that caught my attention. this is a rough paraphrase:

Quote:
Q: In terms of the characters' humanistic qualities, or rather, the "meat" of the characters, what sort of approach does the music take in revealing these details?

A: Hm. Well, it's not dry -- I suppose it's more of a wet approach.
Old 2007-04-18, 01:17   Link #436
wao
OK.

Ooh, Kanno interview...

...and the pile of stuff-to-be-translated gets a little higher again There's a second part coming out on the 18th of April. ...wait, that's today. Anyway, from scanning through it she largely does say similar things to what she mentioned in the interview from Newtype May, about how she wanted to complement the apparent lifelessness of the characters with music full of energy and character. And the influence from French films too.
Okamura has mentioned in an earlier interview about how he referred to older dramas and this seems to somewhat come up again where Kanno mentions recreating a sort of 80s-90s atmosphere... in a way? (I just scanned through really)

Just for reference, here is a rough and badly-worded translation of the Newtype comments copied and pasted (apologies if I've done it before)
Spoiler:
Old 2007-04-18, 01:30   Link #437
aardvark

Quote:
"Rather than through logic and reason, I can vaguely form impressions of the show through talking with the director. I thought, why not try emulating the mood of vintage French films? The males would be full of masculine allure while the females would be glamorous and very conscious of their physical body, and there'd be mellow music during the romantic scenes - that sort of feeling. This is kind of the complete opposite of the world of 'Darker', though!"
This feeling is perfectly transcribed in the show. Whether in the opening scene of episode 2, or the scene where Chiaki is laying down on Hei in the alley. Those scenes perfectly capture that atmosphere she's talking about.

Those two scenes are probably my favorite of the show so far incidentally. The music, scene composition, dialogue. Its the type of scenes that grabs my attention right away and lets me know this show will hopefully be something special...
Old 2007-04-18, 02:07   Link #438
issei

i definitely get a french new wave/noir vibe. hei's hei-personality reminds me of the titular character in jean-pierre melville's le samourai -- very cool, collected, and in control of the situation -- and his affable foreign exchange student side has tones of godard's young male protagonists in it, especially in the interactions with chiaki.
Old 2007-04-18, 02:18   Link #439
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

A bit to the discussion, the closest term i can think of for the Dolls are bodies without soul/will (or Ghost for the GitS fans) since Yin was apparently a normal girl before she became a doll and Chiaki was an artificial doll (her real body was dead).

As for them being passive medium (makes me think of an empty hard drive), i suppose they are to house either memories (Chiaki's case) or abilities (Yin's observer apparition) but without the will to utilize those abilities without 3rd party instruction. So, it sorta makes sense when Hei said doll Chiaki was actually alive when she blocked Jean's attack for him.
Old 2007-04-18, 02:28   Link #440
kujoe
from head to heel

I'm kind of surprised that Shinndou mentioned Cowboy Bebop.

Spoiler:

I like the smooth and sharp visuals of this anime. With regard to the characters, I would have to say that Hei and the chief's character designs caught my eye. The style has that simplicity that I'm usually more into, and the soundtrack really complements the show. All in all, a good start.

Last edited by kujoe; 2007-04-18 at 02:41.
Closed Thread

Tags
action, supernatural