Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fairy Tail

Notices

Old 2011-01-09, 04:55   Link #4421
Kafriel
Senior Guest

^ No...at least not yet.
Quote:
all my mages are OP lawl, no way they can win
Well, he did just beat the crap out of the enemy GM, so a bit of conceit is justified. However, Hades said he raised them all, so how would he react when they get their asses kicked? Kill them as useless tools, cry like a baby or enter dark rage mode?
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-09, 05:05   Link #4422
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
ok Im about to drop this Manga... "all my mages are OP lawl, no way they can win" .... i smell a bleach fart...
We've been having similar scenes since the start of the manga, and now you want to drop it?
Old 2011-01-09, 05:16   Link #4423
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

This was... surprisingly uneventful. Godslayer huh.
Old 2011-01-09, 05:27   Link #4424
haegar
mangaviking

my my, what a pleasant surprise, one wakes up, cooks up a coffee, boots up, checks the usual haunts while sipping and waking up and oh boy, chapter is out . what a great morning .... THEN you see the coverpic

now that certainly is a decline from lucy last week

well, hope the chapter inside is as good as last one ... *reads*

edit: ok, that was pretty lame overall. DOH.
Old 2011-01-09, 06:08   Link #4425
ShiroiRyu

I'm sad guys ...
Now i'm blind and i can't read anymore ... :'(
Anyways, normal chapter.
ShiroiRyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-09, 07:52   Link #4426
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I wonder how many chapters till Markov's current situation (whatever it may be) is revealed to the rest of the guild.
Old 2011-01-09, 08:48   Link #4427
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
I wonder how many chapters till Markov's current situation (whatever it may be) is revealed to the rest of the guild.
It'll probably be awhile. The island is pretty big, and they were fighting away from everyone else.
Old 2011-01-09, 11:13   Link #4428
TrueKnight

Uh...okay. So we got a God-Slayer now. This is getting confussing and kinda lame.

But when you think of it, at the end of the chapter Hades did mention he taught the forbidden dark arts/magics to his pupils. By this analogy, I assume the magics being passed to the BGs are dark natured, including the God-Slayer flame Zancrow inherits.

I smell around 10 - 12++ chapters for this arc alone.

*waits patiently for Laxus' entry*
TrueKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-09, 12:05   Link #4429
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueKnight View Post
*waits patiently for Laxus' entry*
I don't see Laxus entering the battle, better chance of Gildartz returning as I'd imagine Laxus is much further away than him at this point.

I myself am hoping in seeing Gil making a heroes timely entrance near the end.

The cover page made me lol and faceplam at the same time, it's a funny and bad joke at the same time, I gotta hand it to Mashima for coming up with that one.

The God Slayer stuff is abit meh but don't mean I'm not looking forward to how this plays out.

Damn I want the next chapter now!
Old 2011-01-09, 12:51   Link #4430
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
ok Im about to drop this Manga... "all my mages are OP lawl, no way they can win" .... i smell a bleach fart...
Oh hell no. Fairy Tail is nowhere close to Bleach's DBZ pointlessness. Given all that FT has shown us so far, I'm willing to cut them some slack. At least FT doesn't have power levels and fights that go on for years, and determined by power alone. In fact, most of FT's fights rely on the fighters using their head. See the Grey/Lyon/Racer fight, where they figured out his magic and beat him as an example.

And ease up on the God Slayer bit, guys. Zancrow is obviously either a little batshit, or it's just ego talking. Hades did give them all power, and it most likely has gone to the heads of at least a few of them.

But yes, this is a setup chapter showing who is going to fight who. It's still shounen at it's base but FT is so much more. Bleach is simple shounen, made for the younger crowd who just wanna see people beating each other up. FT has a much better crafted story. As I've said before, FT's fights are parts of the story, whereas something like DBZ/Bleach/One-piece, the story is simply ways to set up the fights.

And I'm looking forward to seeing how the Lucy/Caprico thing plays out. I think this is the first time Lucy has confronted a spirit on it's own, without it really having a master.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-09, 13:17   Link #4431
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
At least FT doesn't have power levels
Indeed, when a anime starts spewing out "power levels" left and right things get stupid fast. A occasion "master level" character is ok though. Currently FT is pretty balanced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
Bleach is simple shounen, made for the younger crowd who just wanna see people bad mouthing each other.
Fix'ed, I don't recall people fighting much...
Old 2011-01-09, 14:18   Link #4432
KrimzonStriker

Well, lets be fair here for just a second, given the supposed hints at a dark origin for magic and that Zancrow uses a magic that's very close to that origin, the concept of "slaying god' as it were might have some basis, though of course since we have no real notion of a God in Fairy Tail we can take it as a literal exaggeration on his part. Nonetheless, the symbolism is there if you look hard enough, which is why I don't fault Mashima for using the term given the overall direction of things.
Old 2011-01-09, 15:01   Link #4433
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrimzonStriker View Post
the concept of "slaying god' as it were might have some basis, though of course since we have no real notion of a God in Fairy Tail.
There's no God in bleach either.
Old 2011-01-09, 15:05   Link #4434
KrimzonStriker

What are you talking about, king of the spirit world/Soul Society remember?
Old 2011-01-09, 16:24   Link #4435
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Considering there is a source of magic and that it was specifically said to be dark-as-in-evil, that implies there might have been some intelligence that created it. Said being or beings might very well be called gods. It would stand to reason that they would know how to use magic the best.

Hades says his "lost magic" guys are stronger due to being closer to the source in nature, so that implies that current magical styles have evolved away from that, and thus grown weaker. So the lost magic Purgatory Kin might very well be strong enough to kill one of the "gods" that are close to the source of magic, and may have done so already, since Hades says he discovered the source.

Hence, Zancrow's boast may not be idle. However, we have yet to see how dragons and a dragon slayer fit into this structure. That, to me, is the more interesting angle here, and it brings a new dimension to why the dragons might have left. Perhaps they saw this tainting of the source and had to go, because they might be affected. If the Black Dragon didn't get away in time, it might be a reason why it attacked Gild; because it was corrupted thanks to Hades messing with the source.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-09, 16:55   Link #4436
KrimzonStriker

That's a stretched conjection at best, creation and determinism far more complex then what can typically be measured then under our preconcieved notion of good or evil. Hades himself in turn alludes to this point, that one could not simply measure his actions or motivations by simple morality. Other possible examples could point to the concepts of chaos and social darwinism, which while typically viewed as antagonistic, still possess their own logical reasoning and acceptablity.

In sum, I view this thought process that intelligence is necessary for the birth or creation of magic as a fallacy based on a limited perspective, anymore then the arguments for creationism of our own universe. Magic, much like our universe, could have just as easily been born from either a chaotic randomess or callous darwinisim, which would explain its inability to fit under a criteria as limited as good or evil. And Hades original allusion to the 'darkness' you're hinting at was centered around the prejudice and fear for the power by society, at first anyway. For all we know Zeref could have been a byproduct of that reactionism, and been a victim of persecution, hence his unholy retaliation against the world. So far as that is concerned there is still no solid or fundamental argument that alludes to some higher intelligence rather then a source of raw power.
Old 2011-01-09, 17:00   Link #4437
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
That's a stretched conjection at best, creation and determinism far more complex then what can typically be measured then under our preconcieved notion of good or evil. Hades himself in turn alludes to this point, that one could not simply measure his actions or motivations by simple morality. Other possible examples could point to the concepts of chaos and social darwinism, which while typically viewed as antagonistic, still possess their own logical reasoning and acceptablity.

In sum, I view this thought process that intelligence is necessary for the birth or creation of magic as a fallacy based on a limited perspective, anymore then the arguments for creationism of our own universe. Magic, much like our universe, could have just as easily been born from either a chaotic randomess or callous darwinisim, which would explain its inability to fit under a criteria as limited as good or evil. And Hades original allusion to the 'darkness' you're hinting at was centered around the prejudice and fear for the power by society, at first anyway. For all we know Zeref could have been a byproduct of that reactionism, and been a victim of persecution, hence his unholy retaliation against the world. So far as that is concerned there is still no solid or fundamental argument that alludes to some higher intelligence rather then a source of raw power.
If that's the case then how was magic first discovered, and how is Lost Magic "closer" to its source than "New Magic"?
Old 2011-01-09, 17:11   Link #4438
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
There's no God in bleach either.
Spoiler for Bleach god spoilers - FKT end related:

By the same token, I can totally see Natsu beating Zancrow. As for the essence of magic and its origins, I'll hold back on that until Mashima decided to enlighten us - it could be anything, with Hades only looking at one side of things.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-09, 17:24   Link #4439
KrimzonStriker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroi Hadou View Post
If that's the case then how was magic first discovered, and how is Lost Magic "closer" to its source than "New Magic"?
Lost magic could predate to possibly ancient and more advanced civilizations which were able to harness magic more readily and to much deadlier effect (didn't Leon drag Deloria to an ancient temple to use moon-drip on it?)

If we're following my suggestion of a chaotic/darwinistic shaping then going back to Hades allusion of magics place in the world a possible dilution of magics raw power occured once it conformed for peoples acceptability and became a normal function of society. We could reinforce that with Zancrow himself given how he put to the fire what he considered the weaker elements.

Look, I'm just throwing out possible theories here, but at the very least we should base them on what we have so far, limited as it may be. The only higher power suggested is Zeref, who as great as he is was still a mage in the end, and the Dragons who seem to at most function as guardians, perhaps as keepers of order over the chaotic power of magic (hence their resistance to it).
Old 2011-01-09, 17:29   Link #4440
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Look, I'm just throwing out possible theories here, but at the very least we should base them on what we have so far, limited as it may be.
I'm not disagreeing with you.

Quote:
The only higher power suggested is Zeref, who as great as he is was still a mage in the end, and the Dragons who seem to at most function as guardians.
What I want to know is what made Zeref so special? Sure he's probably the strongest character in the series, but that's not what I'm talking about. Hades said he tracked magic all the way back (or as far back as he was able to) and arrived at Zeref, and the Dragons themselves mentioned him several times in the conversation we saw.

Tags
action, adventure, fantasy, shounen