AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-09-21, 02:54   Link #441
minaku
Princess of Hades

This episode was not exactly on model either... It was just showing art variation, instead of art mistakes. And I seriously don't like Usagi's eyes in this one. Even in the first character designs they are rounder than the other girls' eyes, but here they are strange. The other girls were on point, making Usagi the only that is strange. Especially after the fact they corrected even the 3d model in the opening to emphasize the roundness of Usagi's eyes, while in the episode her eyes have the exactly same form as the old 3d model... So they corrected a frame in the opening, just to make the same mestake during the whole episode...
Check it out :
Spoiler for Change:

Spoiler for Manga spoilers:

Last edited by minaku; 2014-09-21 at 09:05.
minaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-21, 05:01   Link #442
Calca
Expressionless

You certainly pay attention to details I don't even think about
Calca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-21, 06:19   Link #443
Shana

I'm glad they're developing the relationship between Usagi and Mamoru. Destiny or not, I always felt it was nothing more than infatuation (all they did was bump into each other a lot). I don't like Usagi as a character much and it really irked me that she was ready to abandon (humanity and its fate) her friends because of a totally reasonable argument they gave her about the guy she barely knows but is crushing on.

Also, I feel like the battle with Zoisite could've been better. If Amy got him wet, wouldn't Makoto's thunder have burned him to a crisp? Why is it that they can't do anything without Sailor Moon?

Other than that, the artwork's improved greatly (what's with the panned shots?) and Kotono's voice isn't as annoying.
Shana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-21, 06:34   Link #444
Lota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana View Post
Other than that, the artwork's improved greatly (what's with the panned shots?) and Kotono's voice isn't as annoying.
That's what I like call Serious!Usagi. I remember in the first series as well, when she was all excited or being a crybaby, her voice annoyed me somewhat, but I quite liked her voice when she was serious. I see that, at least for me, this stays true in the 2nd series as well.
Old 2014-09-21, 10:12   Link #445
BloodyKitty
Raindrop Melancholy

From what I've heard the Japanese fanbase's criticisms towards the show were even harsher than the English-speaking fanbase, so the art having improvement might be thanking to that. Better late than never.

Oh, and good thing that Usagi actually gradually develops in this story, so her initial annoying voice won't be grating on most people anymore, instead we will have more serious!Usagi's voice.
The fact that you hate
The fact that you scream
The fact that you suffer
The fact that you mourn
The fact that you despair
Or the fact that you come to a resolution

Cannot prove that you are right.
~Everybody Has the Right to Make Mistakes~ - Quoted from Kino's Journey Vol. 12
BloodyKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-21, 11:54   Link #446
Amalia2611

I found this episode decent and they kind stick a lot to the manga.... I'm curious to see what's going to happen with Zoisite Kunzite Nephrite and Jadeite since they are not dead like in the manga... During the silver millenium era they were supposed to be in a relationship with the other sailor senshi...now that they are not dead I really want to see where it is going..
Amalia2611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-21, 11:59   Link #447
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

They're kinda setting that up with two of them having personal grudges against Rei and Makoto.
Old 2014-09-21, 12:59   Link #448
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Tbh, I'm dreading that development a bit. One sticky-sweet "fated romance" is tough enough for me to handle :s Do not want five of them.
Old 2014-09-21, 13:01   Link #449
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faerie View Post
Tbh, I'm dreading that development a bit. One sticky-sweet "fated romance" is tough enough for me to handle :s Do not want five of them.
You took the words out of my mouth. I wouldn't mind one if it was done well, but for all of them to have one that would be a bit too much.
Old 2014-09-21, 13:54   Link #450
minaku
Princess of Hades

I am really hoping they return their memories and understand they mean to be together just before queen Beryl kill the generals, or the guardians kill thеm before they return their memories, or just something like " they were not supposed to be resurrected in the first place", so they won't have a happy ending, but some sad moments for them all. I can't imagine the story progress with 5 guardians and their boyfriends. The whole point for the other guardians, except for Usagi, is to be soldiers, not love sick girls, and a tragic love stories now might establish their alienation to love later on. So I am hoping they will torment them a little with the death of their lovers ( I am not a bad person, it is just right)

Last edited by minaku; 2014-09-21 at 14:48.
minaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-21, 14:51   Link #451
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

I do wonder about one thing, since times have changed and apparently since they're letting the generals survive despite their deaths in the manga:

Spoiler:
Old 2014-09-21, 15:24   Link #452
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaku View Post
I am really hoping they return their memories and understand they mean to be together just before queen Beryl kill the generals, or the guardians kill thеm before they return their memories, or just something like " they were not supposed to be resurrected in the first place", so they won't have a happy ending, but some sad moments for them all. I can't imagine the story progress with 5 guardians and their boyfriends. The whole point for the other guardians, except for Usagi, is to be soldiers, not love sick girls, and a tragic love stories now might establish their alienation to love later on. So I am hoping they will torment them a little with the death of their lovers ( I am not a bad person, it is just right)
I don't see what's wrong with the Senshi having boyfriends. It makes the interactions within the group more real/relevant to modern times as girls their age are dating. It would be another series update like Usagi using a computer. Usagi and the others should also have cellphones if they want to update the title more. With cell phones , the girls could text the guys and still be together fighting.
Old 2014-09-21, 16:19   Link #453
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDiddy View Post
I don't know how this plays out in the manga, but this episode was dumb.

One minute Usagi admits that she can't hack it, next minute she's 'OH NOES I CAN"T CHANGE IN FRONT OF TUXEDO MASK'

I know it's supposed to be destiny and stuff, but sometimes TM and Usagi are sweet together, other times, like this episode, it's....odd.

The only thing I liked was the fact that Usagi finally accepted her role as leader, despite the fact that she was ready to dump the Sensis' asses because they're suspicious of TM.
Oh yeah, this episode pretty much made a huge mess of the original manga chapter with the changes made.
Spoiler for manga version:

Non-spoiler version: As pointed out the Anime News Network review, the big issue with the episode is that Toei made changes to the story (when compared to the manga) that ends up going against the feminist nature of the title.
Old 2014-09-21, 16:56   Link #454
minaku
Princess of Hades

qqI don't exactly see it as ruining any feminist aspect. It is normal at this point for Usagi to question herself and to be a little elfish, after all she was a crybaby and a very spoiled young girl, in the manga she developed a little too quickly. I actually prefer Usagi that was insecure and was encouraged by her useless lover, instead of Usagi who cries for Luna's help in front of the enemy as in the manga, where Mamoru gives her encouragement. Sailor Moon has some feminist aspects but they are not exactly implied to Usagi's character, but the team itself. Usagi in the first story arc is anything but feminist. It is normal for a 14 year-old girl that has lived 14 years of her life as spoiled brat to be like this for a little longer. She will develop more naturally. By this point in the manga Usagi is a little bit too perfect, compared to her original state.
Old 2014-09-21, 17:06   Link #455
orion

Quote:
qqI don't exactly see it as ruining any feminist aspect. It is normal at this point for Usagi to question herself and to be a little elfish, after all she was a crybaby and a very spoiled young girl, in the manga she developed a little too quickly. I actually prefer Usagi that was insecure and was encouraged by her useless lover, instead of Usagi who cries for Luna's help in front of the enemy as in the manga, where Mamoru gives her encouragement. Sailor Moon has some feminist aspects but they are not exactly implied to Usagi's character, but the team itself. Usagi in the first story arc is anything but feminist. It is normal for a 14 year-old girl that has lived 14 years of her life as spoiled brat to be like this for a little longer. She will develop more naturally. By this point in the manga Usagi is a little bit too perfect, compared to her original state.
I wouldn't call Mamoru "useless". He's a foil to Usagi. He doesn't have powers but he is encouraging her to move forward. Usagi doesn't have as much power right now as the others but her presence encourages them to keep fighting.

Everybody needs support. I thought that this was a very realistic depiction of what a girl would do.
Old 2014-09-21, 17:08   Link #456
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnAdct1 View Post
Oh yeah, this episode pretty much made a huge mess of the original manga chapter with the changes made.
Spoiler for manga version:
Non-spoiler version: As pointed out the Anime News Network review, the big issue with the episode is that Toei made changes to the story (when compared to the manga) that ends up going against the feminist nature of the title.

I never saw Sailor Moon as particularly feminist, at least not Usagi herself. The others perhaps, as they're emotionally stronger and more independent, but considering the series is primarily about Usagi, I definitely don't see it as a staple for feminist narrative in Japanese media.

I don't mind though. As long as Usagi can hold her own in battle, I don't mind if she needs a little encouraging on the emotional department.
Old 2014-09-21, 17:10   Link #457
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
I never saw Sailor Moon as particularly feminist, at least not Usagi herself. The others perhaps, as they're emotionally stronger and more independent, but considering the series is primarily about Usagi, I definitely don't see it as staple for feminist narrative and Japanese media.
Totally agree.

The first title that comes to mind imo for a feminist title is Revolutionary Girl Utena.
Old 2014-09-21, 17:14   Link #458
Shana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lota View Post
That's what I like call Serious!Usagi. I remember in the first series as well, when she was all excited or being a crybaby, her voice annoyed me somewhat, but I quite liked her voice when she was serious. I see that, at least for me, this stays true in the 2nd series as well.
That's what I thought. In the first series (I only watched halfway through, might have to catch up) I couldn't stand Serious!Usagi personality-wise, felt she was just a kid trying to be serious. Her development in this one is more subtle so fingers crossed I'll like her this time around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faerie View Post
Couldn't agree more. I'm scared it'll go full-blown shoujo where they realize their love and join forces against Beryl
Shana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-21, 17:17   Link #459
minaku
Princess of Hades

It is not so much about the fact he encourages her, the reviewer is talking about the fact she abandones her friends, because they accused Tuxedo Mask and escapes her duties. But once again she is 14 year-old girl, she is still unreliable and she is in a difficult age and she believes in people - this faith helped her unite the team, so it is ok for her to be a little selfish and a little irresponsible, this time Luna will say 'She is the most irresponsible of them all' for a reason. Usagi in Crystal is so much more realistic and relate-able in a way.
Old 2014-09-21, 20:05   Link #460
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Spoiler for Manga spoilers:
Spoiler:

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mahou shoujo, remake, sailor moon