AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2014-05-21, 08:08   Link #5121
Bri

In fairness, football is probably one of the few industries where the employees who do the actual work are paid better than management or the stockholders.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-21, 08:24   Link #5122
oompa loompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
In fairness, football is probably one of the few industries where the employees who do the actual work are paid better than management or the stockholders.
ACTUALLY... while that is true for players vs management, staff at football clubs get paid really low wages. There was an article in the guardian a while back about how (I think), only man city pays their non-management employees above the minimum wage at the median.
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-21, 10:17   Link #5123
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by oompa loompa View Post
ACTUALLY... while that is true for players vs management, staff at football clubs get paid really low wages. There was an article in the guardian a while back about how (I think), only man city pays their non-management employees above the minimum wage at the median.
Off course, staff is easy to replace, so they are paid peanuts. Players have rare skills which allows them to lay claim to a large part of club revenue.
Old 2014-05-24, 19:56   Link #5124
RapidPotential
Spinning round and round~

And so it is. Real have achieved the La Décima. Congratulations! Well done for Atleti to take it as far as they did, although they ran out of steam in the end.

2 cup finals, both with Real the winner.
RapidPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-24, 21:31   Link #5125
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Those Welsh and their winning goals.

Holy football.

I dislike Real by default, arrogant overspending galacticos club and a filth for a president, but they played the much better football today while Atletico cynically fouled every Real breakout they got their feet on. It's a deserved La Decima.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-25, 00:54   Link #5126
RapidPotential
Spinning round and round~

To be fair Ramsey's and Bale's cup finals are their respective World Cups, metaphorically-speaking, for they don't get the chance for the real thing.
RapidPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-25, 02:24   Link #5127
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

They can always make GB football team

Congrats to Madrid for winning it though, bit anti-climatic regarding how the match finished though.
Old 2014-05-25, 02:28   Link #5128
Blaat

Felt like I was watching a sports anime series, very dramatic. The scoreline was very harsh though Atletico tactically outsmarted Real in the first 50 minutes (Real couldn't get in front of the goal) but then they got tired...
Old 2014-05-25, 04:11   Link #5129
itisjustme

Meh. Atletico should have won this. They had plenty of dangerous opportunity but apparently they forgot how to cross the ball and every cross went to the defender, whereas every cross from Real was dangerous. In those conditions how can you even play attack defense with 15 minutes left? That's suicide and what often happened did, the team pushing for it gets one in extra time. They shouldn't have sat so deep.

After that Atletico was gone both mentally and physically. Before that Bale missed everything he did and I didn't even see CR do anything outside a couple free kicks. It gotta kill you that you were 2 minutes away from the Holy Grail especially for a team like Atletico that isn't as likely to be a challenger again any time soon.
itisjustme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-25, 05:11   Link #5130
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

With all those talks about Bale and Ronaldo, i thought Di Maria was the true outstanding one last night.

His dribble was simply crazy, and directly contributed to that winner Bales scored
Old 2014-05-25, 06:51   Link #5131
itisjustme

Di Maria has always been a great dribbler but he's kinda erratic or was in the past. I was pretty impressed with Gabi and IMO Sosa didn't contribute offensively after Raul Garcia got subbed off and it's where Atletico started to lose ground.
Old 2014-05-25, 13:29   Link #5132
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

As impressive as Di Maria's dribbling was, his delivery was even better. He put in tons of quality crosses.
Old 2014-05-25, 16:08   Link #5133
Bri

The final was a bit disappointing in terms of football but the suspense made up for it. Atletico was so close, must be devastating for the fans to see it fade away in extra time.

Last edited by Bri; 2014-05-26 at 06:03.
Old 2014-05-25, 18:27   Link #5134
SuitUp
¡Gracias Totales!

I'm genuinely surprised that someone thinks Atleti deserved la Orejona because of it's futbolistic merits, it ceirtainly would have been a proper darkhose story, but even when Atleti was supposedly dominating the match, they couldn't generate danger, and the goal they did score was because Casillas fucked up, sure, they did keep Real contained for the entire first half, and maybe ten minutes of the second, but after, it was Madrid all over them, and Simeone made the mistake (one that he repeteadly does, in spite of being a great manager) of throwing the whole team back and try to endure Real's advances, that, coupled with Real's attacking superiority, and the fact that Costa made him waste one substitution was enough to wear out his team.
Aside from that, I found amusing that Varanne (who offended Simeone first) was genuinely scared of Simeone's wrath, he was hiding behind his teamates while Simeone had to be restrained to stop him from whooping Varanne's ass, even though he's 20 years older and 5 inches shorter

Last edited by SuitUp; 2014-05-25 at 19:33.
SuitUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-25, 18:45   Link #5135
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

Simeone kinda looks like a devil... so I would be, too.
ACertainStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-25, 19:21   Link #5136
itisjustme

It's like a pitbull running at you even if it's smaller you're still afraid. :P

I think cheering for Atletico kinda comes from the underdog thing. That and they were playing without their best player and striker and you could argue they folded in the last 30 because they had nothing left in the tank after a long season where they were on course for 3 titles til the end with almost no bench.

Yeah their goal was flukish but then they were 2 mins away from the win and that made me want to believe the miracle that a team with 3x less money than RM (partly due to BS tv right distribution in Spain but that's another matter), and after having lost Torres Aguero and Falcao in the recent past, could take it. Mind I'm not a fan and I don't even know who half the team is.

They didn't play great football but that's been their style all year long. I think it didn't help them that the bus parking worked for them vs Barca in the Liga title game so they figured they'd do it again.
Old 2014-05-26, 06:21   Link #5137
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisjustme View Post
Yeah their goal was flukish but then they were 2 mins away from the win and that made me want to believe the miracle that a team with 3x less money than RM (partly due to BS tv right distribution in Spain but that's another matter), and after having lost Torres Aguero and Falcao in the recent past, could take it. Mind I'm not a fan and I don't even know who half the team is.

They didn't play great football but that's been their style all year long. I think it didn't help them that the bus parking worked for them vs Barca in the Liga title game so they figured they'd do it again.
I agree, Atletico's performance this year is a story of hope in a time where money more than ever determines success in football. That generates a lot of sympathy with football fans regardless of their style of play.
Old 2014-05-29, 12:17   Link #5138
Nerroth
NePoi!

The third round of the 2014 U.S. Open Cup has been settled, and the American MLS teams due to enter the competition now know which teams they will face, and where and when the games will be played.

There are some potentially interesting match-ups on the cards, with the NASL New York Cosmos hosting the New York Red Bulls, Minnesota United paired up with Sporting Kansas City, the San Antonio Scorpions taking on FC Dallas, and a northern California clash between Sacramento Republic FC and the San Jose Earthquakes.

With no promotion and relegation in the American soccer pyramid, the Open Cup is the only meaningful contest available to teams from different divisions. With a spot in the CCL available to the winner, it's also the only means by which a lower-division American squad can secure a berth in continental competition.

On this side of the border, Toronto FC and the Montréal Impact drew the first leg of the Canadian Championship finals 1-1, with l'Impact taking an away goal advantage back to Saputo Stadium for next week's return match.

And the draw for the 2014-15 CONCACAF Champions League group stage has been made.

Rather than the current eight groups of three setup with only the group winners advancing, I'd prefer six groups of four with the two best runners-up following the group winners into the quarter-finals. But alas.
Old 2014-05-30, 08:49   Link #5139
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

To people whose country failed to make to the WC, who are you going to support?
Old 2014-05-30, 14:47   Link #5140
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

TBH, I'd support Holland (), Germany and now Japan for this year. Traditionally, I would also root for England, but I don't expect too much from them this year considering the group they're in.

Last edited by KiraYamatoFan; 2014-05-30 at 17:35.
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
football, soccer