AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2014-12-21, 04:04   Link #5201
csuree
The Most Hated™

Well they do need to grow up.... they cannot stay forever young like some characters. (Don't want to point fingers )

Is it me or the more times I read volumes 7-9 the more things seem to be hidden within. Maybe it is just interpretation or that phenomenon where you want to see something and you see it, but in reality it is nothing. (i.e: Ebina and Hachiman's last conversation where they talk about themselves a little)
Old 2014-12-21, 05:20   Link #5202
YumeNoMonogatari
てへぺろ~

Hello everyone!
I'm a new member and I joined because I wanted to enjoy Oregairu with you all.

Short introduction : I'm 20, half Polish and half French (so please forgive my poor english), PT student. I also have an account on MAL (same username) and sometimes go by GYUZ on other websites.

My journey with Oregairu started with the announcement of the 1st season. I quickly checked the manga and it was love at first sight. There were only 4-5 chapters translated at that time, so I waited for the anime and also read the summaries (I'm the type of guy who's not affected by spoilers). After the anime I read the LN on bakatsuki (Nanodesu and Kyakka currently) and stalked this forum for a long time. Since I can't read or speak japanese (I've only learnt hiragana and katakana) I have to patiently wait for Excorsism-sama's and Frog-kun-sama's translation, whom I can't thank enough.

Anyway I'm glad that I finally joined.

BTW, amazing video Okashira.
YumeNoMonogatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-21, 06:02   Link #5203
RioFoxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by YumeNoMonogatari View Post
Hello everyone!
I'm a new member and I joined because I wanted to enjoy Oregairu with you all.

Short introduction : I'm 20, half Polish and half French (so please forgive my poor english), PT student. I also have an account on MAL (same username) and sometimes go by GYUZ on other websites.

My journey with Oregairu started with the announcement of the 1st season. I quickly checked the manga and it was love at first sight. There were only 4-5 chapters translated at that time, so I waited for the anime and also read the summaries (I'm the type of guy who's not affected by spoilers). After the anime I read the LN on bakatsuki (Nanodesu and Kyakka currently) and stalked this forum for a long time. Since I can't read or speak japanese (I've only learnt hiragana and katakana) I have to patiently wait for Excorsism-sama's and Frog-kun-sama's translation, whom I can't thank enough.

Anyway I'm glad that I finally joined.

BTW, amazing video Okashira.
A new face. Welcome welcome! I'm glad Oregairu was compelling enough to join the forum as well. Your journey is very similar to mine, except instead of going to the manga I went straight to the LNs (I'm a huge LN fan now, but then just wanted more of the source content after the anime) and fell for Oregairu very, very hard.

Also, your English is really, really good. Definitely not poor by any means. Keep up the good work!

Once again, welcome to the forums!
RioFoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-21, 09:20   Link #5204
Sohemo
||

Why does the the story goes through past-tense narrative (is this even the right way to say it)? That has been bothering me from the start, but now, with the straight foreshadowing in Vol.3 end, I just want to know. It has already been explained by someone, probably.

Last edited by Sohemo; 2014-12-21 at 10:12.
Sohemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-21, 10:37   Link #5205
innadi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohemo View Post
Why does the the story goes through past-tense narrative (is this even the right way to say it)? That has been bothering me from the start, but now, with the straight foreshadowing in Vol.3 end, I just want to know. It has already been explained by someone, probably.
I think that the term you're looking for is 'first-person narrative'. It so happens that the narrative is based on the past-tense. It's just a style of writing.
We get to know more about the narrator and what's going on inside his/her head. Sometimes, we might look at things from a different angle (or that of the narrator) from the characters in the novel (the Sagami incident for example). Google it (I'm sorry if my explanation is not what you are looking for though).

Last edited by innadi; 2014-12-21 at 10:50.
innadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-21, 10:55   Link #5206
Tormenk

Someone will probably give a better answer but my take is since Hikki's methods are derived from his past experiences and encounters the narrative naturally goes through as such to provide understanding and illustrate the situation as why it has to be solved this way. On the other hand, it's important to the characters themselves as well. Their current personalities and issues have been shaped by their past and the weight behind their problems have a real heft to it by recounting the various incidents behind them, case in point Hikki and Yukino. Doubtlessly Hayama as well in this volume.

Rumi's story was brilliant IMO as it served to illustrate the common starting point between Hikki, Yui and Yukino and how they each choose differently to end up where they are now. Orimoto and Haruno to a lesser extent are reminders of their experiences and shows how well Hikki and Yukino are dealing with past now.

"Are you afraid of change? Or are you afraid to change?"

"Wheel turns, river flows and life goes on."

"Best way to kill a man, is to leave him alone."

"Until you come, until we close our eyes."

Tormenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-21, 11:03   Link #5207
Sohemo
||

I suppose what makes me wonder is whether we will get a glimpse of the current characters at some point, as it was with Weir's "The Martian", for example. I'm not sure why it even bothers me.

Edit:
Well, yeah. Now when I look at what I have written I know how dumb it is. Guess it's just a style indeed. That foreshadowing is to blame.

Last edited by Sohemo; 2014-12-22 at 15:26.
Old 2014-12-21, 11:27   Link #5208
csuree
The Most Hated™

Quote:
I suppose what makes me wonder is whether we will get a glimpse of the current characters at some point. I'm not sure why it even bothers me.

Edit:
Well, yeah. Now when I look at what I have written I know how dumb it is. Guess it's just a style indeed. That foreshadowing is to blame.
Yeah it is a style, it is not dumb, don't whip yourself for it, asking questions is normal.

It is because of the first person narrative like above was mentioned, and the reason for it....well, he narrating the story, is the present for him and all the events, no matter how recent, are all in the past. The same, when you tell a story to everyone, you use past tense.

I hope my explanation was clear enough.

Damm... it has been long since I joined this thread....how many stupid theories.....I feel so stupid and ashamed reading them....

Last edited by csuree; 2014-12-21 at 11:35. Reason: checking my first post here (Nostalgia)
csuree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-21, 12:11   Link #5209
SomeChineseGuy
Lazy Blanket Cat

Quote:
Why does the the story goes through past-tense narrative (is this even the right way to say it)?
Because it's uhhh... the default one for the English-speaking fiction?

As far as I remember, the Japanese original is written in present tense(Spyro's confirmation needed), and I heard somewhere that Japanese LNs tend to jumble present and past tenses repeatedly.
SomeChineseGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-21, 12:30   Link #5210
Sohemo
||

English-speaking, right.
Old 2014-12-21, 13:47   Link #5211
Echodrive

Hey everyone, i have been a lurker in this forum for a very brief time (probably since summertime). I started this anime at that moment and i enjoyed it very much so due to the monologues and our very original mc and hero Hikigaya "Chibatman" Hachiman. i then decided to read the novels since i've heard that it has better detail which i then found out that it was WAYYY better than the anime. (BIGG SHOUTOUT to exco for his amazing work btw, please keep it up). i really enjoyed the way you guys discuss the LN, i was always amazed at how you found stuff in between the lines, it really shows how much you really appreciate this series. ANYWAYSSS enough of my talk and goodbye
Echodrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-22, 10:30   Link #5212
Cinnamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeChineseGuy View Post
Because it's uhhh... the default one for the English-speaking fiction?

As far as I remember, the Japanese original is written in present tense(Spyro's confirmation needed), and I heard somewhere that Japanese LNs tend to jumble present and past tenses repeatedly.
It's mosly past tense when describing and present tense in dialogues.
Cinnamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-22, 12:14   Link #5213
SomeChineseGuy
Lazy Blanket Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamon View Post
It's mosly past tense when describing and present tense in dialogues.
I meant beside deialogs.
Old 2014-12-22, 12:48   Link #5214
Excorsism

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeChineseGuy View Post
I meant beside deialogs.
Narration tends to be past tense. He uses present tense when he makes internal tsukkomis/references. Needless to say, it's a real headache. Also present tense when he goes into his contemplative/philosophical monologues.
Old 2014-12-23, 05:46   Link #5215
SomeChineseGuy
Lazy Blanket Cat

And then the Blessed Sixth Chapter came. And it was good.

Quote:
As a matter of fact, it’s not like I was enrolled in the department of education myself.
Makes me wonder...
Old 2014-12-23, 05:55   Link #5216
lelouch12

Quote:
Her name was, I think, Honda, no, Suzuki… or maybe Yamaha? Weren’t these just motorcycle stuff? I mean, her delinquent appearance already gave off that impression. Motorcycle, motorcycle… Motorcycle, Kawasaki, motorcycle? Yeah, it’s probably Kawasaki.
how to remember saki's name the hachiman way... ^^
Old 2014-12-23, 06:19   Link #5217
R.LocK
My turn

I... should have seen this coming quite honestly.
R.LocK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-23, 06:42   Link #5218
ices
Working Hard

Yeah. That's the way, Iroha. Using Sizuka-sensei to pull Hachiman. Well, but unfortunately that Yukinon could read your trick. But don't worry, there's always a next time.

Last edited by ices; 2014-12-23 at 11:16.
ices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-23, 07:05   Link #5219
HazeOfMisery

Geez, just date already, you two.

I wish Kawasaki and Meguri had bigger roles to play. Don't see them very often, which is a pity. Also, am i the only one who found it incredibly gratifying that Meguri remembered Hachiman's name? Felt so good.
HazeOfMisery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-23, 08:19   Link #5220
HereticMagus

Ah, its like the christmas came early! Thank you Excor!

Edit: And Excor, is that a GTx 900 series I see? Mind=Blown! Is that solely for gaming purposes?

Last edited by HereticMagus; 2014-12-23 at 08:35.
HereticMagus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
club, comedy, delayed release date, dramedy, fake harem, gagaga bunko, harem, hinedere, kuuderes, philosophy, romance, school life, slice of life, social psychology, train wreck