AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Infinite Stratos

Notices

Old 2015-03-16, 07:15   Link #56301
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Quesstions regarding I.S firearms

Note: This is only the first batch of my upcoming Q&A. Mostly irrelevant, but really important for my work.

Feeding: So, we have these options - Which would be the most feasible way?

- Conventional system, with a near-infinite amount of mags in the storage: Easy to make, easy to fix, easy to learn. However, with the blazing speed of burning through ammunition, it'd not be wise to reload it during battle. Unless the mag is directly linked to the 4th Dimensional storage. Simply put, one that never run dry.

- The round simply reappear on the barrel (*): The most revolutionary one: Removing the cumbersome self-loading mechanism (if using with caseless ammunition). However, the weapons can't be exchanged between units during combat. Plus the price of producing, the complexity of taking down and cleaning (not a problem if you're fighting in Mondo Grosso, or simply a day at the range).

-> Actions: How to handle the pressure? How to reduce the recoil? What to do to avoid overheat? How to fire, striker or hammer? Unless you're talking about electricity-starter.

- Ammunition: Of course, the caliber comes to mind. 7.62 Nato, .388 Lapua Magnum and 12.7x108mm (or the equivalent in caseless) would be commonly-seen. However, I'm more interesting in pistol or submachine gun: .50 AE, everyone? Or, maybe the 5.56 Nato.

(Actually, with the (*) system, something of a revolver or Derringer would be the most easiest: Just replace the cylinder!)

The question is: With the same size, does a heavy bullet could do as much damage as a fast bullet?

And I won't talk about hollow point. The matter here is to break the enemy's shield, so armor-piercing FMJ would be the logical choice. Or, airbursting rounds, if they're big enough.

- Accessory: There is no point to give them Picatinny rail an Surefire flash light or laser. At best, they would just need optical sight. Iron sight... Nope!

- Speed: Three-round burst? Nope. Even with the .388 Lapua, it's possible to stay on the target (remember, Hyper Sensor, PIC, and I.S is big) in full auto. Sniper rifles like the Starlight series? With range of engagement is an area of 10 kmsqr , they would have thought about beam or at least railgun. And no bolt-action.

However, like I said above, the ratio of rounds per minute on IS is very high. So, that brought us to the last point:

- Classification: Pistol and submachine gun would be merged into one class - Give one full-auto AR Pistol to an IS, it would be the same as a MP7 (Of course, we know that those AR Pistol are called "pistol" simply because of ATF's regulation). The same thing could be said for Assault Rifle and Battle Rifle. Portable Launcher and sniper rifle'd be the same.

Last edited by Fireminer; 2015-03-16 at 07:35.
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-16, 16:51   Link #56302
lovetospoon73

i'm not good at writing fan fiction about IS,but i'm good at coming up ideas for it.
lovetospoon73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-16, 17:06   Link #56303
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetospoon73 View Post
i'm not good at writing fan fiction about IS,but i'm good at coming up ideas for it.
So, how have you ACTED on those ideas?

And pardon me if I am wrong, you tried to suggest a small idea many pages ago and then I shot it down because it REEKED of Gary Stuness. You should have taken the criticism and use it to IMPROVE your idea. Mary Sues (with some exceptions of Parody Sues) CANNOT be taken seriously because they are EVIDENCE that the writing has SERIOUS FLAWS.

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-17, 01:44   Link #56304
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireminer View Post
Feeding: So, we have these options - Which would be the most feasible way?
- I think all current IS that use kinetic rounds (eg not beam weaponry) are caseless and it's possible they just appear on the barrel, since neither the LN or the anime shows anyone reloading magazines. Not even the Rafale Revives which look like they should have conventional style magazines in their weapons. On the other hand, Autumn did mention that she ran out of ammo in her rifle when she was fighting Ichika, if I remember right?

Quote:
-> Actions: How to handle the pressure? How to reduce the recoil? What to do to avoid overheat? How to fire, striker or hammer? Unless you're talking about electricity-starter.
- I'm thinking electrical. Guns as big as used on an IS are bigger than a conventional weapon and has higher explosive power (if we talk about conventional kinetic rounds). Charl's two P90-like SMGs might very well be a M134 minigun encased in a P90-like frame.

Quote:
- Ammunition: Of course, the caliber comes to mind. 7.62 Nato, .388 Lapua Magnum and 12.7x108mm (or the equivalent in caseless) would be commonly-seen. However, I'm more interesting in pistol or submachine gun: .50 AE, everyone? Or, maybe the 5.56 Nato.
- Anything IS-related should at least be geared for small vehicles, so 12.7 (aka .50cal BMG) would be IS rifle sized (the standard rifle caliber for Rafales), and "SMG" rounds would be 7.62mm. AN IS shotgun would probably be firing something more like Grapeshot as opposed to a real life shotgun gauge round.

It's tough to say this is certain because the only IS featured regularly that use conventional firearms are the Rafales in general and Charl's Rafale Revive II specifically. Every other major IS shown either uses exotic weapons (Beam rifles, air pressure cannons, electromagnetic railguns). If only Izuru did a bit more world-building with the older 2nd-gen IS (3rd-gen Is and later started using the exotic weaponry)

Quote:
The question is: With the same size, does a heavy bullet could do as much damage as a fast bullet?

And I won't talk about hollow point. The matter here is to break the enemy's shield, so armor-piercing FMJ would be the logical choice. Or, airbursting rounds, if they're big enough.
- That's a very tough argument I'm too scared to take on. I used to argue with people about .45acp vs 9mm and that was a very nasty argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz1/2
So, how have you ACTED on those ideas?
- Blitz, just ignore him. He's never going to write a fic and it's clear he's just here to troll us, just like the "anonymous" reviewers on fanfiction.net that never write fics but spend all of their time bagging abotu how much better their fic characters are than ours.
wavehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-17, 03:37   Link #56305
Frosty
He who loves to sing
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehawk View Post
- Actually you do.

The rest of us here are concerned with actually writing stories. You? You're just taking a dump on us by saying "Oh my idea is original and smart I want male Is pilots" and then you get mad when we don't agree and spam the thread.

You post the same stupid thing in these threads at least once a day about having more males in IS academy but when someone asks if you're writing a fic you plain out ignore them because you don't really plan to write a fanfic. You're just here to waste our time. If you want to waste time by being stupid, go play CoD. Don't bother us with your incessant whining about how we never take you seriously because WE CAN'T. We cannot take you seriously. At all. You're a parrot. A broken record. You don't even change your tone, it's always "I want more men in IS academy" but you can't even be bothered to actually write the fic.

The way you post, I don't think you've even watched the IS anime much less read the LNs. You're not interested in IS at all. You just want to spend the rest of your life here on these threads posting about how cool your idea of more men in powered armor is. There's already a show that does that, Saint Seiya. Go watch that. Stop bothering us with unrelated posts and throwing your little baby tantrums whenever we question you about it.
Wavehawke, I could have give you a +1 for that. I agree in what you said
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-17, 15:47   Link #56306
lovetospoon73

i came up with the worst crossover ever: infinite stratos X date a live
lovetospoon73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-17, 20:10   Link #56307
demino_hellsin
That one guy

Faith Morrison is a young woman working dead end job after dead end job. Always migrating from one minimum wage offer to another less due to her work ethic and capability as opposed to spiteful reviews from her manager and highschool diploma credentials. She was bullied into accompanying a co-worker to an IS pilot testing conscription by the government. It was mostly to make her co-worker look good because they were confident Faith would fail miserably. It came as a shock that she was chosen to be the new test pilot for the new generation Arachne Mk.II. This due to her surprising synchronization and aptitude in using the old model Arachne and its multi-arm system to an adept degree despite being a beginner. So she was drafted in as a test pilot. However, due to the Gospel Incident, the United States had gained the world's ire and distrust with the secret joint development of the frame with Israel. America had no choice but to send Arachne Mk.II to ISA for study and the only way to do that was to send in their test pilot as well. And that is how 21 year old Faith Morrison became a highschool freshman in Japan.

As her name implies, Faith Morrison is Brave Morrison's younger sister. She hasn't been in touch with her family for years. After her brother moved out to join the army, Faith had finished her highschool schooling and tried for college. When her SATs came back with abyssmal scores, advising her to try again, she gave up and decided to join the workforce as is. She moves out of her parents' house fearing herself to be a burden to them, and lived alone in a run down apartment she could barely afford.

Faith's personality of meekness is not because of natural upbringing. Rather it's because of childhood trauma. Faith had been bullied since childhood because of her height. At first she didn't differ much from the children, always standing at the last spot in line, being a few inches taller. However when highschool came about she was standing at 192cm and by the end of it at 203cm, towering over everyone else, even the male teachers. In fact, her bullying was so severe that the reason she failed her SATs and had a below average showing in school was because of her shredded self-esteem. She never believes she can do anything worthwhile because that's what had been repeated to her, her whole life. She did not want to burden her parents with a problem that was hers alone so she never told them about it. One would think that such length of time of being belittled and scorned would end up with her committing suicide or running away even though things done to her weren't so serious. That's because there was always one person who was there for her, fought away her bullies and eased her fears at all times. That was her big brother, Brave. She adored him for it and he became her anchor in life. When he disappeared after a few years in the army, Faith had been understandably devastated.
Old 2015-03-17, 20:20   Link #56308
StratoSpear
Titans Test Team Pilot

Does this seem like a proper shower scene?

Quote:
After keeping their IS and some time left before dinner, the girls head for the showers. Kirin takes the first cubicle, followed by Tsurugi, Rose, Eli and finally Naev. Having endured hours of supervised training, Tsurugi could not have been any more thankful than to finally be able to refresh herself with a good shower.

(Aaaah~ Thank goodness for showers...)

“All this training makes me wish summer would come soon!” Eli suddenly shatters the ambience, her short brown hair partially-covered with shampoo foam.

“Oh right, the outing.” Says Naev, briefly reminded of the Academy’s planned summer trip. “Rose, where are we going again?”

“Some beach resort or so I heard.” Rose did not bat an eye to her classmates. Her long blonde hair, moist with shampoo foams, stretches down her back like a curtain. “Murakumo-sensei said we’ll be there for a few days.”

“Perfect!” Eli rejoices with a fist pump, splashing water into the adjacent cubicles.

“You’re really looking forward to it aren’t you, Eli?”

“Of course! Aren’t you as well, Kirin?”

“Well, I rarely get to go to the beaches so—”

“Great! I’ll be sure to show you around then!”

“S-Sure, I guess...”

Meanwhile, Kirin notices that Tsurugi’s gleefully smiling away, enjoying the cheery atmosphere amongst her friends. Seeing as everyone chipped in about their imminent summer outing except her, Kirin cheekily reaches into Tsurugi’s cubicle and prods her in the shoulder.

“E-Eh! What was that, Kirin?” She jolts from the contact of Kirin’s fingers.

“You’ve been smiling away since just now. Say something.”

“Sure but… about what?”

“Tsurugi, you’ve been to the beach before?” Eli calls out across Rose’s cubicle. Their attention collectively set upon Tsurugi as they began to realize she hasn’t been speaking much.

“Uhh… Plenty of times, yes. Back in elementary school, I would often go to the beach with my childhood friend.”

“With your childhood friend huh? That’s pretty nice.”

“Yeah. He—”

(Oh shoot.) Tsurugi held back realizing she was about to give away something intimate.

“...He?”

One by one, the other girls echo the gender of her supposed childhood friend. Tsurugi quickly notices the changing expressions on their faces. Even Naev who was the furthest away, had her eyes set upon her across Eli’s and Rose’s cubicles.

“Hey.” Kirin prods her again. “Are you hiding something? What is it?”

“N-No! It’s just… He… I mean we’re—”

“She’s hiding something.” Says Naev, who has a penchant for seeing through facades when she gets curious.

“Agreed.” Rose as well.
Old 2015-03-17, 20:24   Link #56309
demino_hellsin
That one guy

It gets kind of confusing. Are they sharing one shower? Are the cubicles walls low enough to see and touch each other? When that one girl splashed water, didn't it hit the others and make them annoyed or something?

and I wouldn't imagine long hair that's been wet and still shampooed to be like a curtain. More like a wrung out snake slithering across her back.
Old 2015-03-17, 20:33   Link #56310
StratoSpear
Titans Test Team Pilot

A wet curtain perhaps? Point noted on the annoyance part. I would imagine the cubicles are half-height such that they're covered from the neck down to their knees.
Old 2015-03-17, 20:38   Link #56311
demino_hellsin
That one guy

Guess that works too if she's leaning her head back/looking upwards?
Old 2015-03-17, 21:11   Link #56312
StratoSpear
Titans Test Team Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by demino_hellsin View Post
Guess that works too if she's leaning her head back/looking upwards?
I would imagine it that way, yeah. I keep seeing that kind of pose when girls shower in anime.
Old 2015-03-17, 21:16   Link #56313
demino_hellsin
That one guy

That's usually whe thy're washing out soap and shampoo already.
Old 2015-03-17, 21:39   Link #56314
StratoSpear
Titans Test Team Pilot

Tis' better?

Quote:
“Some beach resort or so I heard.” Rose did not bat an eye to her classmates. Her eyes are shut. Her face held up facing the shower head as it washes away the shampoo foams off her long blonde hair, which was stretching down her back, giving it the look of a moist, silky curtain. “Murakumo-sensei said we’ll be there for a few days.”

“Perfect!” Eli rejoices with a fist pump, splashing water into the adjacent cubicles much to the annoyance of Rose and Naev.
Old 2015-03-17, 21:47   Link #56315
demino_hellsin
That one guy

It works, I can guarantee you that.

does bullying due to being excessively tall sound too weird?

Last edited by demino_hellsin; 2015-03-18 at 01:58.
demino_hellsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-18, 04:14   Link #56316
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by demino_hellsin View Post
does bullying due to being excessively tall sound too weird?
- No. Bullying can happen for any reason.

On that note, I was one of the tallest guys in class but I was not interested in Basketball. Considering I grew up in the Philippines, I think I was bullied more for not liking Basketball than anything else--among many other reasons (such as speaking in English instead of Tagalog, being interested in anime, not being a hypocritical Catholic, etc.)
Old 2015-03-18, 04:29   Link #56317
demino_hellsin
That one guy

Think girls in Ichika's class would bully a woman as old as their teacher who is their classmate?
Old 2015-03-18, 04:38   Link #56318
StratoSpear
Titans Test Team Pilot

Even if they do, I would have a hard time believing that it'll be serious.

I maybe wrong though.
Old 2015-03-18, 04:42   Link #56319
demino_hellsin
That one guy

True, though imagining how someone feels being over a foot taller and five years older than their peers seems kind of frightening.

That and how an IS has to be specially adjusted for someone of her size.
Old 2015-03-18, 05:01   Link #56320
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Well, -technically- Yamada-sensei gets bullied. Not physically, but...technically the students teasing her is a form of bullying.

Size adjustment would only be an initial case. She'd have to be taller than Ichika to cause such an issue, though. Most Rafale and Uchigane S seem capable to having different pilots. And on that: The Uchigane's frame shouldn't be difficult for a tall woman to put on, from what I see.

Tags
fanfic ideas, fanfiction, ff.net, harem, is fanfic, warning fanfic spoilers, wincest