AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2010-02-07, 22:14   Link #5941
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssol View Post
I would love to hear an alternate explanation for the first twilight of episode 3 that does not involve taking advantage of the boiler room back door.
Another, more evil one, is that the adults were lying and conducted the murders themselves, or for whatever reason lied about some of the bodies they found. At least one of the closed rooms was not witnessed being opened by Battler (Kanon, presumably, at the chapel). If one of the rooms is not closed, none of them are.

The red tells us "Furthermore, all of the doors and windows in the 6 rooms are normal" and that "No device exists which can lock them without a key, such as an auto-lock." Much like the chapel, it doesn't actually say they were locked.

DISCLAIMER: I do not believe the adults to be guilty of the ep3 First Twilight as I think it is ridiculous and counter to their conflicting motives. However, it is possible, thus making it an "alternate explanation."
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-07, 22:26   Link #5942
luckyssol

Spoiler for ”Episode 3, First Twilight”:

Spoiler for ”Episode 3, Second Twilight”:

Spoiler for ”Episode 3, Fourth, Fifth, and Sixth Twilights”:

Spoiler for ”Episode 3, Seventh and Eighth Twilights”:

Spoiler for ”Episode 3, George and Nanjo”:

Last edited by luckyssol; 2010-02-16 at 04:47.
luckyssol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-08, 00:49   Link #5943
Smeckledorf
Intellectual Rapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssol View Post
What are you talking about? There is a door that can only be opened from one side and is never locked in my dorm. Are you saying that door does not exist?
As I typed last time, I cannot prove something doesn't exist. That door which you are using as an example uses a lock to do so. You may not think of it as one or call it a lock. But it functions the same way a lock does. It is probably one of those doors with a push bar to used to open it. If that is right then a lock is used. You push the bar and it unlocks.

I'll give an example using Kinzo's study. You enter the study and shut the door behind you. Someone else now tries to enter the room. They cannot because the door is locked and they lack the key. You can open it for them.
Now, let's say you are in the boiler room. Someone else tries to enter from the back door, they cannot because the door is locked and they cannot open it from that direction. You can open it for them.
Can you not see the similarity here? The doors function in the exact same manner.

Last edited by Smeckledorf; 2010-02-08 at 01:07.
Smeckledorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-08, 02:20   Link #5944
luckyssol

Spoiler for ”Episode 4, before the first twilight”:

Spoiler for ”Episode 4, First Twilight”:

Spoiler for ”Episode 4, before the second twilight”:

Spoiler for ”Episode 4, Second Twilight (Part 1)”:

Spoiler for ”Episode 4, Second Twilight (Part 2)”:

Spoiler for ”Episode 4, Fourth, Fifth, and Sixth Twilights:

Spoiler for ”Episode 4, Seventh Twilight, Eighth Twilight, and the rest...”:

Last edited by luckyssol; 2010-02-16 at 04:46.
Old 2010-02-08, 03:20   Link #5945
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
Another, more evil one, is that the adults were lying and conducted the murders themselves, or for whatever reason lied about some of the bodies they found. At least one of the closed rooms was not witnessed being opened by Battler (Kanon, presumably, at the chapel). If one of the rooms is not closed, none of them are.

The red tells us "Furthermore, all of the doors and windows in the 6 rooms are normal" and that "No device exists which can lock them without a key, such as an auto-lock." Much like the chapel, it doesn't actually say they were locked.

DISCLAIMER: I do not believe the adults to be guilty of the ep3 First Twilight as I think it is ridiculous and counter to their conflicting motives. However, it is possible, thus making it an "alternate explanation."
Another option is that they all faked their own death (with the exception of Kinzo) and then the culprit took advantage of the situation to kill them all once the doors were opened. We know that this kind of plan has been executed at least once.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-08, 04:56   Link #5946
Smeckledorf
Intellectual Rapist

@Ssol: Ok, what does the door use to keep it from opening from the direction it is prohibited from opening? And don't respond with "it simply doesn't open that way".

@Jan-Poo: There is a little problem there. All 6 deaths were said to be instant. Kinzo was said to have died of an illness so I don't think his death would have been instant. There are three explanations of this for me, 1. That isn't the "sick Kinzo", 2. Kinzo was never sick, or 3. Kinzo was murdered and did not die of an illness.
Smeckledorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-08, 04:59   Link #5947
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

We were never told that his death was due to an illness, only that he had an illness (probably cancer or something of that kind) that was going to kill him eventually. He might have merely died from a heart attack instead (although I wouldn't consider that to be "instant").
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-08, 05:41   Link #5948
ijriims

The meaning of instant death is about instant immoblization before real death came after some seconds, you can check Beatrice's explanation for that.

So Kinzo could satisfy instant death if his disease caused him to be unable to move a few moment before his heart stopped beating, or you could say before brain death.

Heart attack is instant death under this meaning.

Battler, you have already known it, right?

Without Love, it cannot be seen.
ijriims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-08, 05:42   Link #5949
k//eternal
do you know ベアトリーチェ様?

Could be a stroke, I guess.
k//eternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-08, 05:47   Link #5950
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Actually, I think it would be very helpful if we had a definition for "death", as well.

But I'll concede that a heart attack or a stroke is probably what killed Kinzo, yeah.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-08, 05:52   Link #5951
ijriims

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Actually, I think it would be very helpful if we had a definition for "death", as well.

But I'll concede that a heart attack or a stroke is probably what killed Kinzo, yeah.
Well, we don't know the definition of "death". But EP6 Ange said a personality's "death" did not count for another personality's "death"........

Battler, you have already known it, right?

Without Love, it cannot be seen.
ijriims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-08, 10:52   Link #5952
luckyssol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeckledorf View Post
@Ssol: Ok, what does the door use to keep it from opening from the direction it is prohibited from opening? And don't respond with "it simply doesn't open that way".
If a door has a knob on both sides of it then turning the knob and opening the door is the method of opening the door. Let’s say someone challenges you to open the door without turning the knob. You would not be able to do it because you could not use the method of opening the door. This does not give the door a “locked” status.

I’m tired of discussing this and I got class so I hope you understand now.

Last edited by luckyssol; 2010-02-08 at 12:13.
Old 2010-02-08, 14:44   Link #5953
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

If Kinzo died in his sleep, by Beatrice's definition he "died instantly" when he went to sleep because he was incapable of taking action before he died. How long it actually took his body to expire would not be relevant. Unless it's supposed to be a hint that the ep5 death portrayal is off.

Unrelated tangent: What are some arguments in favor of and against Kanontrice? Yes, I said Kanontrice. I had a bunch of random thoughts last night about alternative ways to answer Touya's questions. Let's just say it's a bit creepy and mostly a joke, but I am curious.
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-08, 15:59   Link #5954
Pinguma

In response to the whole idea of Kanontrice, there's a point in episode 2 I guess:

Rosa views Beatrice in the rose garden after rushing out for Maria. This Beatrice does 'magic' and gives Maria her candy. Of course, if you rewind a bit to when Rosa crushed the candy and left, Kanon actually observed it all and comes along, trying to give Maria a 'similar candy' that he said he had, upon which he reached for it in his pocket, only to be declined the offer by Maria . Flash forward to this magic trick. It was simply a sleight of hand carried out by 'Beatrice', whom replaced the candy.

Of course one could argue that Rosa lied or Kanon could have told someone to do it, but Kyrie also did observe 'Beatrice' and Kanon is not relieved of any suspicion.
Pinguma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-08, 17:05   Link #5955
LyricalAura
Dea ex Kakera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
If Kinzo died in his sleep, by Beatrice's definition he "died instantly" when he went to sleep because he was incapable of taking action before he died. How long it actually took his body to expire would not be relevant. Unless it's supposed to be a hint that the ep5 death portrayal is off.

Unrelated tangent: What are some arguments in favor of and against Kanontrice? Yes, I said Kanontrice. I had a bunch of random thoughts last night about alternative ways to answer Touya's questions. Let's just say it's a bit creepy and mostly a joke, but I am curious.
Somewhat against: "19 is the age of the true master of this world," and Kanon is supposedly 16. Of course, you could level the same argument against any other candidate for the position, since none of the characters is known to be 19.
LyricalAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-08, 17:37   Link #5956
Amegashita
Still bad at Japanese

Unless you count "The Man From 19 Years Ago" if he's 19.
Amegashita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-08, 17:39   Link #5957
imaginari
Purupurupiko-Man

Location: My beloved hometown, the mackerel river running through it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinguma View Post
In response to the whole idea of Kanontrice, there's a point in episode 2 I guess:

Rosa views Beatrice in the rose garden after rushing out for Maria. This Beatrice does 'magic' and gives Maria her candy. Of course, if you rewind a bit to when Rosa crushed the candy and left, Kanon actually observed it all and comes along, trying to give Maria a 'similar candy' that he said he had, upon which he reached for it in his pocket, only to be declined the offer by Maria . Flash forward to this magic trick. It was simply a sleight of hand carried out by 'Beatrice', whom replaced the candy.

Of course one could argue that Rosa lied or Kanon could have told someone to do it, but Kyrie also did observe 'Beatrice' and Kanon is not relieved of any suspicion.
I'll add this: Kanon had the weakest alibi for meeting Maria in EP1, in the first mystery of the series. At a time when Maria was in the garden but Beatrice had left, he ran to the guesthouse in the rain to notify the cousins that dinner was ready, causing Battler to wonder why he couldn't have used the telephone, and he didn't see Maria while outside either.

Also, Kanon is implied to witness the guests' arrival in the garden in every game. He could spot whether Maria is looking for a rose, or candy, or whatever is necessary ahead of time. And during the scene that Pinguma mentioned, Maria sort of speaks to Kanon as if he can be expected to know something about Beatrice, but that's more of an alternate interpretation than something that clearly happened.
imaginari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-08, 17:52   Link #5958
Judoh
Mystery buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalAura View Post
Somewhat against: "19 is the age of the true master of this world," and Kanon is supposedly 16. Of course, you could level the same argument against any other candidate for the position, since none of the characters is known to be 19.
You could also say that Asumu was 13 6 years ago and since we don't know the specifics about her death. If we assume Asumu is actually alive she could be an off island master.

Of course that's completely crazy and nobody would think Ryukishi would actually write that.

Last edited by Judoh; 2010-02-08 at 19:32.
Judoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-08, 18:13   Link #5959
Pinguma

I built up some theories for the entirety of episode 2,
It goes into essentially every closed room and murder so lots of text and references abound. Just my two cents on the whole episode:

Edit: Seems that I will add more revisions to the theories, and still continue to do so. It is currently incomplete, but it does seem to be coming together a bit more. Thanks to the comments and those whom have expanded on some of my points. I guess I'll eventually split it up etc. to just make it cleaner and easier to follow - may take a while though.

Spoiler for Episode 2 Theory:

Last edited by Pinguma; 2010-02-22 at 15:58.
Pinguma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-08, 19:36   Link #5960
Judoh
Mystery buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinguma View Post
Hrm, I'm not sure if it has already been done or pointed out, but I built up a theory for the entirety of episode 2, highlighting Jessica, Shannon, Genji as main culprits and high potential for Gohda to also be one. Potentially Nanjo and Rosa. It goes into essentially every closed room and murder so lots of text and references abound. Sorry about suddenly throwing this out there, but just my two cents on the whole episode:

Spoiler for Episode 2 Theory:
I liked it enough to put it in my signature. As far as Jessica culprit theories go I don't like a lot of them, but yours takes the cake!
Judoh is offline   Reply With Quote