AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2009-05-16, 12:22   Link #41
D404
Banned

And if the original uploader is gone then you're fucked. Isn't the whole point of this thing to archive scripts for the future etc, or whatever? And most likely those people are going to be gone in the future. Again, retarded. Screw the 'ethical' (maybe a better word to use here) approach. Just take every script form everywhere and archive it, regardless. Fact is, were doing something illegal anyway, and I'll be damned if I give a crap about 'crediting' or who 'rightfully owns' certain translations.
D404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-16, 13:01   Link #42
edogawaconan
Hi
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to edogawaconan Send a message via Yahoo to edogawaconan
Quote:
Originally Posted by D404 View Post
And if the original uploader is gone then you're fucked. Isn't the whole point of this thing to archive scripts for the future etc, or whatever? And most likely those people are going to be gone in the future. Again, retarded. Screw the 'ethical' (maybe a better word to use here) approach. Just take every script form everywhere and archive it, regardless. Fact is, were doing something illegal anyway, and I'll be damned if I give a crap about 'crediting' or who 'rightfully owns' certain translations.
But then... this thread is going nowhere. :<
There should be option/agreement to make it public domain (or removed) if the owner can't be contacted
And I think the ones that's going to be protected are faghardsubs - including sign typeset, karaoke, etc.
Old 2009-05-16, 13:23   Link #43
D404
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by edogawaconan View Post
But then... this thread is going nowhere. :<
There should be option/agreement to make it public domain (or removed) if the owner can't be contacted
And I think the ones that's going to be protected are faghardsubs - including sign typeset, karaoke, etc.
I will make it my personal mission to OCR all hardsubs and redo all signs if any grp wishes to keep it's subs 'secure'. 'Cause that's how I roll.
D404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-16, 15:17   Link #44
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by D404 View Post
I will make it my personal mission to OCR all hardsubs and redo all signs if any grp wishes to keep it's subs 'secure'. 'Cause that's how I roll.
Oh, you rebel you...
getfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-17, 05:34   Link #45
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
Just out of curiosities sake, has there ever been a case of a company stealing a fansub script and using it themselves except for that one time with Odex and Haruhi, which was not actually Odex's fault, but the shady subcontrators they hired to "translate" the show?
Beside Odex's contracted "translators" (that wasn't the only time) and bootleggers, there have been none.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-18, 01:54   Link #46
DmonHiro

Send a message via Yahoo to DmonHiro
I'm sorry, but this is ridiculous. The extra security features are an exercise in futility. You want to make a database with anime scripts, right? But you want to restrict access so that other groups don't use those scripts for their releases? Then WTF IS the database for? Disregarding that any idiots can either demux the subs (if softsub) or OCR then (if hardsub), why else would I register to that database UNLESS I want to use those scripts for my release?
DmonHiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-18, 02:05   Link #47
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Ah! There is a solution to this!

Instead of storing the scripts in a password protected database, you store them in completely open bmp images... You just run each line through one of the more insidious captcha obfuscators and save the image file.

Then, any human can access and read the scripts (if they squint hard enough, anyway), but they can't be OCR'ed and they can't be demuxed! The only way people could copy them would be transcription, which no one ever wants to do .

There, problem solved. No registration or passwords or trust needed. Just throw them on a public webpage.

P.S. I think maybe we see why this argument is pretty ridiculous.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-18, 10:29   Link #48
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Cool

The whole point of what Getfresh is trying to do is to create a resource for fansubbers. He's putting forth the idea of how to make it work and trying to secure as best he can. No security is perfect but to whine about and bemoan him for trying is pointless. If you have nothing constructive to add I fail to see why you need to post. Because if Getfresh accomplishes it you know you'll leech it and secretly thank him under your breath.(You'd never outright thank someone from what I've read)

This thread wasn't one to debate whether it should be done, but HOW it should be done. Naturally, the nay-sayers and trollers came out of the wood-work and attacked the idea.(Mostly under the security aspect it seems)

Heck, if it is somewhat secure I'd start putting our LOGH and other stuff there for use.

Oh, well.
Old 2009-05-18, 10:55   Link #49
DmonHiro

Most likely people are not suggesting ways about how it should work because they are like me. I, HONEST TO GOD, do not understand what this database want to do. Seriously, I don't understand. All I got is that there would be a database where you could find scripts for anime. OK, but why? What is the point. If it's a resource for fansubbers, why would it have a password? Again, I'm not trying to troll. If someone would make a specific post about what this database should be like, maybe I, and others like me, could give suggestions.
Old 2009-05-18, 11:01   Link #50
asunder
the ancient biter

I think what this thread is lacking is the purpose of what script club is. I don't really see this of any value to fansubbers unless you want to preserve the culture/history of older fansubs. I can certainly see this as being useful for fans / groups that take subs and place them on a better quality video.

Will the site be limited to unlicensed subs? You need to be aware that script databases may not be considered "fair-use" depending on where you live and what mood the judge may be in.
see: http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/3764.cfm
http://merlin.obs.coe.int/iris/2004/3/article28.en.html
http://www.dmwmedia.com/news/2009/03...rgeted-studios
http://torrentfreak.com/wikisubtitle...outfit-080520/

That being said, I usually use http://www.opensubtitles.org/en for any foreign movies I download that don't have subtitles.
asunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-18, 12:09   Link #51
cardcrusher

Well, since we aren't group leaders of well established groups, who have a highly trusted reputation in the community for "ethical" behavior, I assume getfresh isn't going to bother clarify the purpose of the site for us. After all, only group leaders, of well established groups who have a highly trusted reputation in the community for "ethical" behavior are supposed to know about it now.
cardcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-18, 12:40   Link #52
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardcrusher View Post
Well, since we aren't group leaders of well established groups, who have a highly trusted reputation in the community for "ethical" behavior, I assume getfresh isn't going to bother clarify the purpose of the site for us. After all, only group leaders, of well established groups who have a highly trusted reputation in the community for "ethical" behavior are supposed to know about it now.
Well, since the site isn't even re-established in full yet, what do you expect. You are yet another example of nownownownow, gimmiegimmiegimmie people who deride Getfresh's idea.

Give him ideas instead of taunting and whining.
Old 2009-05-18, 13:15   Link #53
DmonHiro

[QUOTE=Heibi;2402501Give him ideas instead of taunting and whining.[/QUOTE]

Ideas for what? Most of us still don't know what he's doing this for. How do you give someone an idea of how to do something if you don't know what that something is? Why doesn't anyone just say what this database is for? Is it to store scripts? Is it to make it easier for fansubs to find translations? Is it for using with raws?
Old 2009-05-18, 13:25   Link #54
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmonHiro View Post
Ideas for what? Most of us still don't know what he's doing this for. How do you give someone an idea of how to do something if you don't know what that something is? Why doesn't anyone just say what this database is for? Is it to store scripts? Is it to make it easier for fansubs to find translations? Is it for using with raws?
Well, since you haven't been able to figure it out:

Probably a "database"(get it?) that has *gasp* scripts(get it?) that fansubbers(get it?) can use. Just like the old one. You could go there and download timed and untimed scripts to use with shows you have on LD/Tape/DVD/RAW. (get it yet?) There won't be scripts for licensed stuff. Simply put, a scripts "DATABASE."

There, put simple for the simple minded folks.
Old 2009-05-18, 14:26   Link #55
DmonHiro

In my defense, I never visited the old site. But here's what I don't get. If this database would be fore downloading timed and untimed scripts for use with LD/Tape/DVD/RAW, then why would security be needed?

Also, there is no need to be a wise ass, since nobody actually explained why the database was made, or why security would be needed. I mean, explained in a way that makes sense. The only way this database would be useful, in my opinion, is if it held scripts for shows that weren't subbed. Maybe for anime that was only hardsubbed too, but OCR is piss easy as long as you have a brain and one functioning arm.

So, here's my question: Why would security be needed if the database has a download option?
Old 2009-05-18, 16:26   Link #56
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Probably to keep Hong Kong bootleggers from it. Probably wouldn't work in that aspect though.

As to being wise-ass...what else do you expect? When someone says he wants to establish a scripts database and folks keep hounding him on what it is for, you gotta wonder...

And a script database can also be useful even for shows that have been fansubbed. There are folks who don't like the encode, the font, or the quality and want to redo it for themselves. I've done that way back in the olden days.

Last edited by Heibi; 2009-05-18 at 16:28. Reason: aded
Heibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-18, 21:09   Link #57
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Okay, I have a constructive comment this time:

I think the only security that is really needed here is a time-lock. Really simple. Scripts can be uploaded to the database, and the uploader choses at the time they upload how long the scripts are locked out from downloading until they become available.

A script database is pretty useless for brand new shows where the original torrents/shows are still widely available, but after a year or two when those torrents/files might get harder to find, having a script database might be a useful tool.

Also, HK bootleggers don't go around authoring DVDs of old series, they do the latest shows just like fansubbers, so by keeping scripts locked for a while that helps lessen that possibility.

No registration or other complicated authentication process.... Just a simple time lock, chosen by the uploader. I don't think that's particularly elitist and it could be useful to some people.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-19, 05:02   Link #58
日本ひきこもり協会
awarpsharp is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
Okay, I have a constructive comment this time:

I think the only security that is really needed here is a time-lock. Really simple. Scripts can be uploaded to the database, and the uploader choses at the time they upload how long the scripts are locked out from downloading until they become available.

A script database is pretty useless for brand new shows where the original torrents/shows are still widely available, but after a year or two when those torrents/files might get harder to find, having a script database might be a useful tool.

Also, HK bootleggers don't go around authoring DVDs of old series, they do the latest shows just like fansubbers, so by keeping scripts locked for a while that helps lessen that possibility.

No registration or other complicated authentication process.... Just a simple time lock, chosen by the uploader. I don't think that's particularly elitist and it could be useful to some people.
Time lock is stupid too IMNFHO. What if I want to take the script and mux it in a better raw? And why are you so concerned about bootleggers? Sounds like a cheap excuse to me. You know, they can still OCR subs from existing fansubs. The whole security idea is downright stupid and attracts negative comments.
日本ひきこもり協会 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-19, 08:39   Link #59
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

It isn't that it attracts negative comments, it's that it is your personalities that are negative to begin with. You seem to be able to only focus on what you see as being wrong and nothing else. If you think being snide and nasty will ever get you anywhere you are sorely mistaken.
getfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-19, 09:50   Link #60
cyth
Banned

What's wrong with this club is that it's a relic of the past, therefore most of us see no reason for putting effort into something that's not going to be of much use to anybody. This thread is just nonsense, not just from the proposed ideas (do they even need a public discussion?), but also in the sense that you gave fansubbing newfags a final chance to vent at the oldfags. I imagine that we won't be seeing threads like this anymore.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote