Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Spoiler for episode 3:
Old 2019-01-11, 13:55   Link #42
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Spoiler for episode 3:
Looks like her name is Minahoshi Suiko. She mentioned Boogiepop in the last scene so she's probably another enemy.

As for Nagi, it looks like her whole "I'm so weird and abnormal" chuuni act got to her head and she ended up underestimating the bad guys. I feel this failure will teach her a lesson and she will be less stupid going forward.
Old 2019-01-11, 15:12   Link #43
Applehell

Good episode, though I can't but feel there was a bit of lack oomph to the climax.

So my main takeaway was that while the Manticore was a problem Echoes was always the true threat. Not because it was malicious but due to fact his experiences and judgement would have brought about the end of humanity.

So when Boogiepop said someone else had already taken care of it at end of episode 1, she was not talking about the Manticore at all, but Echoes. Which was a bit of clever switch.

I didn't expect Nagi to get off like that, ironically she ended up not even doing all that much in the end despite her despite her bravado. Well aside from bring Echoes to the right place accidentally.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-11, 16:57   Link #44
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

What a flat episode.

Saotome and Manticore's death were prettty touching in the novel.
But the anime didn't explore them internally enough, and their death end up just dull and dry.

I am pretty sure no anime viewer understands why Saotome is the enemy of the world.
Nor how he took a step out of his own hallow by taking that blow for Manticore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehell View Post
Good episode, though I can't but feel there was a bit of lack oomph to the climax.

So my main takeaway was that while the Manticore was a problem Echoes was always the true threat. Not because it was malicious but due to fact his experiences and judgement would have brought about the end of humanity.

So when Boogiepop said someone else had already taken care of it at end of episode 1, she was not talking about the Manticore at all, but Echoes. Which was a bit of clever switch.

I didn't expect Nagi to get off like that, ironically she ended up not even doing all that much in the end despite her despite her bravado. Well aside from bring Echoes to the right place accidentally.
Since the vol.1 content has ended, it is safe for me to say this.
Saotome is the enemy of the world here, not Echoes.
Void Fang does not have the mental capacity to be an enemy of the world. Not to mention Void Fang won't attack Earth in eons later in future.

Enemy of the world is determined by their mental capacity. And Boogiepop only shows up when the said said enemy of the world can put the world in danger.
Spoiler for definition of Enemy of the World:

Last edited by shmaster; 2019-01-12 at 16:32.
shmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-11, 17:13   Link #45
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

So... The boy ran away screaming to fetch a bow and arrow?

And what was so dangerous about Saotome that he'd be "enemy of the world"?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-11, 17:29   Link #46
Wandering Soul

Satome surprised me. Last episode gave me the impression that everyone was just a pawn to him to use for his own entertainment, the Manticore included, so I didn't expect him to sacrifice himself for her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
And what was so dangerous about Saotome that he'd be "enemy of the world"?
I think it was the fact that his psychotic personality would have caused Echoes to come to the conclusion that humans were evil and they should be wiped out.
Old 2019-01-11, 17:50   Link #47
Ichinotachi

That was a really good episode, now everything is clear. Now I can see why so many people was talking about Saotome being the true enemy but I feel like whe way he and Manticore died was super anticlimatic, I was expecting more considering how interesting they are.

Boogiepop again arriving at the right moment to save the day and now with this the first 3 episodes finished this arc.

@shmaster can you go further on Void Fang?
Ichinotachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-11, 18:46   Link #48
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichinotachi View Post

@shmaster can you go further on Void Fang?
The stuff about Void Fang is information which is not present in the novel covered by this arc. I think it is spoiler information from a future novel.

You should probably PM shmaster if you want that information.

I'm a bit bumbed out for having learned some stuff about Void Fang because of the post rather than encountering it in the novels. It should have at least been spoiler tagged for who doesn't want to read it.

Last edited by chaos_alfa; 2019-01-11 at 19:02.
chaos_alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-11, 18:48   Link #49
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

@Ichinotachi
Void Fang is a race of transcended high dimensional beings that has been observing humanity.
Despite their super powers, they could not understand nor perceive human heart. Thus why they have their attention on Earth.

And eons eons later in distant future, they attack humanity directly as a mean to further their research on humanity.
That leads to the Night Watch series by the same author.

@Anh_Minh
Saotome is consider the enemy of the world because he has the desire and will power to meet the above requirement.
And his action can lead into world destruction if left uncheck. Even with his early death, his action has lead to birth of other enemies of the world as after effects.
Be it the events in the old anime Boogiepop Phantom, or the events that'll occur later in Distortion King arc if anime ever gets there.
If he is left unchecked, he'll influence even more people and can put the world into deeper danger.

@Wandering Soul
You are completely right. Saotome is a completely hallow individual. He only has contempt toward life and desires of death in his heart.
Manticore to him is nothing more than a tool to spread death.
Now, the interetsing thing is that Saotome could have avoid the fate of becoming the enemy of the world.
If he never ran into Manticore, he could have lived on as a normal person who just has a lot more contempt and bitterness in life.
Yet, he and Manticore clicked so well with one another in the worst way possible, that Saotome end up as a enemy of the world.

Thus, Saotome's death, in protecting Manticore is suppose to be a scene that makes the reader think.
It is because of Manticore that Saotome became a monster who has nothing left in his heart except his contempt of life (Manticore included).
Yet, it is also because of her he showed his one last act of humanity.
This psychological transformation is left for the reader to contemplate.
Old 2019-01-12, 00:09   Link #50
Applehell

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmaster View Post
What a flat episode.

Saotome and Manticore's death were prettty touching in the novel.
But the anime didn't explore them internally enough, and their death end up just dull and dry.

I am pretty sure no anime viewer understands why Saotome is the enemy of the world.
Nor how he took a step out of his own hallow by taking that blow for Manticore.

Since the vol.1 content has ended, it is safe for me to say this.
Saotome is the enemy of the world here, not Echoes.
Void Fang does not have the mental capacity to be an enemy of the world. Not to mention Void Fang won't attack Earth in eons later in future.

Enemy of the world is determined by their mental capacity. And Boogiepop only shows up when the said said enemy of the world can put the world in danger.
"The person who is willing to establish his or her own world through rejecting all existing worlds" is the qualification to be enemy of the world.
Even if a person has the power to destroy the world a trillion times, but has no will of the above. Boogiepop won't show up.

Huh, I see, thanks for the clafication. Its kind of weird for one person so much inflenuce tho. This series serms like the type to have much more twisted individuals whom are far dangerous than a highschooler with that kind of power.
Old 2019-01-12, 00:32   Link #51
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Huh, I see, thanks for the clafication. Its kind of weird for one person so much inflenuce tho. This series serms like the type to have much more twisted individuals whom are far dangerous than a highschooler with that kind of power.
The trick is to understand what Boogiepop refers to as "enemy of the world." Enemy of the world is a person who has a mindset of rejecting the world and the willpower to do something about it. That's all it means. It doesn't matter if the enemy of the world happens to be a human or a supernatural monster. As far as Boogiepop is concerned, it's all the same.
Old 2019-01-13, 05:16   Link #52
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

It seems from the conversation above that there was a certain level depth to these villains that didn't quite make it through to the anime which is a bit of a shame but I still enjoyed the episode regardless.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-13, 06:40   Link #53
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

On top of the interaction between Saotome and the Manticore falling flat, more focus should have been given to the former also if only to clarify he's the real threat. The second ep did kind of try to establish the Manticore's growing dependence on Saotome though but not really enough to drive home it (him?) breaking at the end
Old 2019-01-18, 10:47   Link #54
Ichinotachi

That episode was a little bit confusing to say the least. I'm not sure about this but this entity that use the appearance of this girl is boogiepop's enemy and at the same time Imaginator is the enemy of these 2 entities, correct me if I'm wrong on this.

This new guy changed drastically, seems like that drug addict girl was the final push to insanity. This series is quite something.
Ichinotachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-18, 23:53   Link #55
Lukes YGO & WS on YT
Naracchi & Saracchi

Spoiler for Episode 4 Comments/Feedback:
Lukes YGO & WS on YT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-19, 01:22   Link #56
Applehell

Huh, just so that I'm not off base here, but Imaginator is the other girl in the OP besides Touka right? If so, I can assume she is gonna be a major character, at least for awhile. If I interpreted Boogiepop's conversation with her correctly, Imaginator is basically another Boogiepop, but unlike our heroine this one fully merged with Suiko I think.

Beyond that she is super creepy and the episode did a great job selling how unsettling she/it is with her ability to possesses and control anyone at anytime and just her ethereal alien presence in general.

Last edited by Applehell; 2019-01-19 at 01:53.
Old 2019-01-19, 01:55   Link #57
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

Quote:
Huh, just so that I'm not off base here, but Imaginator is the other girl in the OP besides Touka right? If so, I can assume she is gonna be a major character, at least for awhile. If I interpreted Boogiepop's conversation with her correctly, Imaginator is basically another Boogiepop, but unlike our heroine this one fully merged Suiko.

Beyond that she is super creepy and the episode did a great job selling how unsettling she/it is with her ability to possesses and control anyone at anytime and just her ethereal alien presence in general.
No, what Boogiepop is actually trying to state their difference.
Minahoshi is not equally as "automatic" as Boogiepop.
Old 2019-01-19, 12:00   Link #58
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I can't say I understood much, but like the previous arc, I expect everything will become clear by the end. Imaginator is a great antagonist so far. She gave sensei the push he needed to sink into insanity. It looks like he's fixing people's flowers in an attempt to bring them happiness. At least that's what he intends to do, not sure if that kind of thing can even work.
Old 2019-01-19, 12:15   Link #59
Fevvers
a regular van veen

I never really got around to watching the old anime for some reason, but it’s been an interesting first few episodes so far. The bits of sakuga moments were definitely a plus!
Fevvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-19, 12:49   Link #60
Applehell

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmaster View Post
No, what Boogiepop is actually trying to state their difference.
Minahoshi is not equally as "automatic" as Boogiepop.
Yeah, but she is kind of the same sort of being right? It's just that the conditions for her appearance is not as defined as Boogiepop.

Tags
horror, remake