Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-02-24, 10:41   Link #41
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Quote:
Doesn't make sense that he is the only member that come back "weakened".
You really think hes weaker than before he started training?

Losing an eye is nothing. Its like Luffy's scar..it does not affect his fighting abilities at all.
Old 2011-02-24, 13:29   Link #42
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox13 View Post
Losing an eye is nothing. Its like Luffy's scar..it does not affect his fighting abilities at all.
Losing an eye and a scar on the body are a bit different. I can understand why Hisoka thinks loosing an eye would make someone weaker, though personally i just don't think it would apply with Zoro.
Old 2011-02-24, 14:37   Link #43
Blackbeard D. Kuma

A swordsman shouldn't rely solely on their eyesight; using their other senses is equally important. That being said, if Zoro did lose his eye, I'm pretty sure it won't be a problem for him. Shanks is a perfect example of handicaps not being detrimental overall.
Old 2011-02-24, 15:17   Link #44
aliasxn
Eye for an Eye

Losing an eye can be somewhat debilitating in real life, but it really doesn't mean anything in mangas. Hell, he could have lost both eyes and still end up with a better "eyesitght" than before, that's what usually happens. Blind swordsmen always have a deadly butt-kicking awareness of their surroundings.
Old 2011-02-24, 15:24   Link #45
Blackbeard D. Kuma

^ Indeed. The loss of vision can serve as the impetus for sharpening one's other senses as a means of compensation.
Old 2011-02-24, 15:36   Link #46
Slayerx

I think there's somekind of law in anime that states any handicap that would normally impede someone will be able to turn them into a badass

-becoming blind will sharpen your other sense to super human levels.
-Loosing an arm will probably just make your other arm twice as strong.
-Old age makes you more experienced and allows you to kick more ass than those younger than you.
-Loosing both your legs would probably give you super upper body strength.
-loosing a hand lets you attach a deadly weapon in its place

yup that's anime
Old 2011-02-24, 15:44   Link #47
marvelB

Ah yes, Roronoa Zatoichi..... truly the most badass swordsman in OP. Of course, Brooke would have to give him his cane sword in order for him to more accurately fit the role.

BTW, I wonder why we haven't heard anything about the world nobles yet? I figured for sure that they would be pretty heavily involved in this storyline. Even more so since Charlos' family swore revenge against the Straw-Hats......
Old 2011-02-24, 16:01   Link #48
james0246

Technically Brook is the best handicaped swordsmen. He is already blind...and deaf...and he can't actually speak...or smell. So, everything he does is based on Touch. He "sees"/"hears" his opponents by feeling their pressence through vibration of the air as it hits his bones. And, he "talks" by having his bones vibrate at just the right frquency to create audible sounds that are interpreted by human ears as a 'language'. And he "smells" by interpreting the reaction of others...

Yes, Zoro will be fine and his abilities will be in no way actually hampered by the loss of an eye. No, losing an eye is in no way comparable to having a large scar on your chest (I'm not sure how anyone could think they are similar, even in the fictional world thay are not similar).
Old 2011-02-24, 16:14   Link #49
ellifeedn
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
I think there's somekind of law in anime that states any handicap that would normally impede someone will be able to turn them into a badass
So when Whitebeard lost part of his head from an attack from Akainu his badassness increased ten-fold?
Old 2011-02-24, 16:27   Link #50
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
So when Whitebeard lost part of his head from an attack from Akainu his badassness increased ten-fold?
How the hell can you even question that after how badly he messed up everyone in his way afterward?
Old 2011-02-24, 16:30   Link #51
Ryuuchi
Totally not that guy

Quote:
If a guy loses part of his head and still keeps kicking ass on the battle field...I still concider it one of the most badass things one could do.
Old 2011-02-24, 16:31   Link #52
Slayerx

Quote:
Lets put it this way...
Whitebeard DIED looking like the greatest badass this series has ever seen
Old 2011-02-24, 16:32   Link #53
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Lets put it this way...
Whitebeard DIED looking like the greatest badass this world has ever seen
Fixed that for you.
Old 2011-02-24, 16:56   Link #54
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Quote:
Lets put it this way...
Whitebeard DIED looking like the greatest badass this world has ever seen
Fixed that for you.
No, he'd need an afro for that change...
Old 2011-02-24, 18:53   Link #55
marvelB

^Hmmm, makes me wonder if we WILL see an Afrobeard in the series at some point......
Old 2011-02-24, 20:32   Link #56
-Suigetsu-
Prelude of Light

I think the reason Zoro lost an eye was because Oda is trying to draw parallels between him and Rayleigh.

- Notice how they both have scars on one of their eyes.

- Both are swordsmen.

- And both are first mates to a Pirate King's crew.

- They also both have scars on their chest.

- They are both obsessed with alcohol.

I also don't think that Brooke is strong enough to fight that fishmen swordsman, I mean that guy was able to block a Jet Pistol and immediately counter attack without Luffy even noticing. That's crazy, and because of that I think he's out of Brooke's league.
Old 2011-02-24, 23:56   Link #57
PaganPrincess
Banned

Pretty awesome chapter, I'm loving this right now.
Old 2011-02-25, 00:35   Link #58
grey_1960
Annie Leonhart

Chapter 616
That was a really good chapter. I wonder if Luffy's haki can reach that far when it comes to mantra? He looked at the Hodi and his gang with a unhappy look when they passed on Page 3. Things sound like there starting to conclude in this arch.

Fight next chapter?
I hope Hodi starts a fight with the four straw hat crew that are there in the castle. I want to see Zoro's style of fighting now that mihawk has trained him. I am expecting zoro to get hit less. I mean look at Mihawk he doesn't have one scratch or scar on him and he is the best swords man. Another interesting possible fight will be Luffy vs. Van Decken if it happens. Luffy use of haki is impressive for two years worth of training. I expect a very different style of fighting for luffy.
Old 2011-02-25, 00:55   Link #59
Hisoka??
Ultra noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox13 View Post
You really think hes weaker than before he started training?

He came back stronger definitely, but he is "weakened" in the sense that all things being equal, he should logically be even stronger with both eyes.

How does a scar affect his fighting abilities?

The problem with the parallels with rayleigh is that rayleigh can still open and I assume see with his eye.

Of course, I do understand that in anime and manga, physical impairments typically result in stronger people, but in this case it doesn't seem to fit. In most of those cases, the lost of the limb/function causes the person to either 1)obtain/sharpen other senses, 2) concentrate one on aspect/skill (but typically only if the person was training on his own), or 3) provides extra motivation thereby improving the person. 2 and 3 are out since zorro is already supremely motivated and he was receiving guidance from Mihawk who could have just told him to concentrate on one aspect instead of having him lose an eye.

That leaves sharpening other senses which again doesn't make sense considering it's only 1 eye unless it is really a matter of "blocking out distractions" which is quite ridiculous.

Actually, my main problem is that Zoro losing an eye doesn't seem to serve any real purpose at the moment. He didn't lose it by trying to save Luffy or something. A randomly introduced disability seems redundant. And curiously, seems like none of his nakama cared that he is one eye less. Not even Chopper who should have been eager to volunteer to take a look (not saying it can't have happened off screen, but not showing it tells us something is up)
Old 2011-02-25, 03:13   Link #60
Ermes Marana

My main problem is how he keeps his eyelids shut on one side all the time. An eye patch I could understand, or some kind of artificial eye. But try it yourself; holding your eyelids shut on one side is horrible for any length of time.

The only justification I can think of, is if he actually does have both eyes, and he is doing this so when he finally opens both he is more powerful. If the eye is missing, it just seems stupid.
Closed Thread