AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Penguin Drum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-07-22, 19:49   Link #581
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
If the older brother ends up with Himari wouldn't that, from a certain point of view, be an osananajimi ending?
Oh trust me, I can go off on an entire tangent on how the anime/manga industry essentially treats incest just by taking the osananajimi archetype and stamping 'blood related' on it, but to stay even half on-topic, I'll refrain from doing so.

And I'm not gonna lie, got fooled once before into thinking two people were childhood friends, when they were really twin brother and sister. (Gurren Lagann) The line is THAT blurry.

All that said, I draw the line with blood relation. Up to first cousins is ok (ex. Sakura from Da Capo was explicitly mentioned as a childhood friend), but any closer, social taboos comes into play (which childhood friends don't have to deal with).

And as far as I can tell, Himari is blood related to Sho/Kan, and I don't think they'll pull the "fake sister" card later on in this anime. So as much as I'd like to think KanXHimari as osananajimi (after all, Kan arguably would go to greater lengths for Himari than Ringo - the REAL osananajimi - would go for Yabuki), I'm not one to make an exception to the criteria I use for my beloved ship.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2011-07-22, 20:32   Link #582
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
And as far as I can tell, Himari is blood related to Sho/Kan, and I don't think they'll pull the "fake sister" card later on in this anime. So as much as I'd like to think KanXHimari as osananajimi (after all, Kan arguably would go to greater lengths for Himari than Ringo - the REAL osananajimi - would go for Yabuki), I'm not one to make an exception to the criteria I use for my beloved ship.
I think that's ok. You like what you like. And for the record, I don't support KanxHimari either, although not because of the incest issue. You said it yourself: Kanba would probably do anything for Himari.... but how far is he willing to go to keep Himari alive? It's that question what got me interested in the relationship, but ironically it's also what prevents me from supporting it.

I would support ShouxHimari though, but I don't even think Shouma is interested in Himari that way (is that reason I would like to see such a pairing )

Then again, the serious me that knows denying death is psychologically unhealthy wants Himira dead for good, to see how the brothers learn to deal with it, so....
Old 2011-07-22, 21:43   Link #583
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

So we got Penguindrum's equivalent of the cow episode and curry episode from Utena in just one episode? Wow, although I loved the surrealism in Utena so I'm certainly not complaining, and just realized that the survival strategy sessions remind me a ton of the student council meetings in Utena (just not as strange, those would be hard to top). Also noticed a few other interesting bits of imagery in the episode, posted about them here, but the abridged version is, if the apple represents the world could the peach imagery represent fate?
Old 2011-07-22, 23:59   Link #584
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
This is quite a fun show, but I can't help but find the repeat footage and scene of the transformation and her giving out orders very annoying, it is stock footage over and over. Otherwise than that it would be much better if they switched that up a bit.
Old 2011-07-23, 01:50   Link #585
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Otaku View Post
This is quite a fun show, but I can't help but find the repeat footage and scene of the transformation and her giving out orders very annoying, it is stock footage over and over. Otherwise than that it would be much better if they switched that up a bit.
And they did. That's what the cow suit is for, and when the initial initialising shout happened while the camera is outside the house. You should also get a completely new transformation after ep 12. But the scenes are reused because it's a ritual; it's designed to be reused.
Old 2011-07-23, 02:58   Link #586
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
That is what i thought, or it could be the cooking pot ringo swapped at the teachers home.
I wouldn't be surprised if the Penguindrum isn't an item.
Old 2011-07-23, 05:50   Link #587
sapphire-pyro
C.C. Loyalist

Third episode was enjoyable, as usual. Most of my attention were on the brothers though, heehee.

I'll finally be able to see Utena soon. I hope I'll be able to relate to the references that people are talking about soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
You should also get a completely new transformation after ep 12. But the scenes are reused because it's a ritual; it's designed to be reused.
Aaww.. they'll still be reused? >_< Seeing things over and over bores me... oh well, that's what the fast forward button is for *_*
Old 2011-07-23, 05:54   Link #588
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire-pyro View Post
Aaww.. they'll still be reused? >_< Seeing things over and over bores me... oh well, that's what the fast forward button is for *_*
You have to remember, the show is intended to be watched only once a week. Don't forget that many people watched the sequence repeatedly on Youtube until they got bored, when in reality it wasn't meant to be watched like that.

(Or for that matter, watching several episodes all in one go. Episodic anime are not meant to be watched as a batch.)
Old 2011-07-23, 06:04   Link #589
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Listen, you peasants that will never amount to anything!

Man they really must have a bunch of curry lately, since that's all that a certain person can come across. They still need to find out what the penguin drum is and how apparently this isn't just any delusion. I didn't really like this episode as much as the last, but we'll be moving along.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-07-23, 06:38   Link #590
Forsaken_Infinity

Reusing the same scene over and over again is essentially reenforcing certain themes and feelings. So you're in tough luck if you dislike it. I for one find them amusing, especially with the subtle changes that occur on repeats.
Old 2011-07-23, 09:16   Link #591
technomo12
Wise Otaku Seeker

im soo dying to hear the SURVIVAL STRATEGY again! god also man the fabulous posing is fabulous and YUMMY FLATNESS!!
Old 2011-07-23, 09:19   Link #592
technomo12
Wise Otaku Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
Reusing the same scene over and over again is essentially reenforcing certain themes and feelings. So you're in tough luck if you dislike it. I for one find them amusing, especially with the subtle changes that occur on repeats.
though i soo love the Intital songs

the
welcome to a rock n roll night
welcome to a rock n roll fight
im just a rock n roll man
in a rock n roll band

man i can get enough of it and the HIGH HEEL BOOTS ON THE YUMMY FLATNESS!!! i soo want to be stepped on those hahahah
Old 2011-07-23, 09:50   Link #593
Ronny

So me and a friend of mine watch this show together and go through lengthy speculation after every ep lol. It's just so much fun to have an original show where nobody knows yet what's happening so you can speculate (same with Madoka at the time, but I watched that after it finished airing).
I thought I'd post our latest diary theory that we came up with after episode 3 to see what you guys think/have any input - the more the merrier right?

So anyways, first of all... we think Ringo -had- a sister. Why? The first scene where it seemed the mother was crying and the fact that 17/18 year old Tabuki casually visits their house and celebrates curry day (first we thought he might be a (step)brother.. I mean.. there's no limits to Ikuhara's mind after all). But yea, we ultimately went for sister.. who dated Tabuki.
Now he seems to think it's possible the sister died before Ringo was even born, while I think it was around the time she was 3-4 (like, I think she just died during the opening flashback) - but either way: Ringo has no memory of her.

The reason Tabuki kept visiting casually: simple, he and Ringo's sister dated when they were young (say.. somewhere between 10-12 years old, judging by the style of writing the entries.. and the really simple "math problems" fit those ages).. at those ages, it's not actually serious and the parents treat the boyfriend/girlfriend like their own.. 'cause it's cute. So Tabuki has a good "surrogate" parent relationship with Ringo's parents (or mother, who knows where the father went after the first flashback) and of course he shares a sad moment with them - so he stays in contact.

So, the diary is the sister's while she was dating Tabuki. Why? The entry posted earlier in this thread clearly makes it clear that the writer of the diary spends time with her mother, but Ringo and her mother don't seem to have that good of a relationship (ie. she is too busy and her dad isn't even home... Ringo is basically always on her own).
Also, Ringo clearly follows the diary and alters what (in her mind) is possible. ie. The curry in the diary was eaten together with Tabuki, but for Ringo it's acceptable that he ate hers. So it clearly doesn't tell the future, Ringo just follows it to -make- it happen.

So what happened? Ringo fell for Tabuki (as seen in the flashback @11 years old) and some time after found the diary (in the attic or something, who knows where it was stored) and -seriously- believed it was a Mirai Nikki that shows her the way to Tabuki's heart. It's Destiny~ However, in reality the diary is just that: a diary (and a red herring for viewers).

EDIT: Oh and about the cat - simply an old neighborhood cat.. was easy for her to find it.
Old 2011-07-23, 10:10   Link #594
klare

Ringo is weird, funny and totally in her own world, wonder why she stalks him daily and does not know he has a girlfriend?

it seems like every eps we will get the same survival animation with a little alterations, and cow suit...?
Old 2011-07-23, 10:32   Link #595
maplehurry

Quote:
Then again, the serious me that knows denying death is psychologically unhealthy wants Himira dead for good, to see how the brothers learn to deal with it, so....
Something being psychologically unhealthy is quite a trivial reason to want someone dead tbh...
Old 2011-07-23, 11:07   Link #596
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Otaku View Post
Repeat footage was done in Utena too so I was suspecting and well at least it is beautifully animated.

Anyways I have never liked curry but after this episode I desperately wanted to try some. I also like that the curry was apple flavored going with the apple symbolism we already have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronny
So anyways, first of all... we think Ringo -had- a sister. Why?
Ah what an interesting theory that the diary might be someone else's. It never even crossed my mind. And this does make sense.

I have to admit I really like Ringo. Okay the stalking thing is definitely creepy but I feel I can emphasize with her need to feel loved too.

edit: I also didn't notice the Peach references so thanks for pointing that out Wandering Dreamer.

Last edited by Kirarakim; 2011-07-23 at 11:31.
Old 2011-07-23, 11:20   Link #597
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Was that line present in promo materials or something? Otherwise, WHAT.
It was in episode 3. Tabuki's woman says it when she notices Ringo was gone with the end, out of the window.

And that is indeed an interesting speculation that the diary is a complete red herring and an actual diary. Makes a lot of sense given what has happened thus far. But what link does Ringo have to penguin drum then?
Old 2011-07-23, 11:32   Link #598
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
It was in episode 3. Tabuki's woman says it when she notices Ringo was gone with the end, out of the window.
I know. My confusion stems from the fact that picture dates back to three weeks ago. So either that line was used in promo material/interviews before, or Ikuhara browses /a/).
Old 2011-07-23, 11:33   Link #599
Ronny

Penguindrum could be something else she possesses (we didn't see her room), or Ringo herself (I mean.. her name is apple..), or.. she doesn't have it at all.

The Princess has to appear cocky and sure of herself else she isn't intimidating, but there is no confirmation that she -knows- Ringo has the penguindrum, or even knows what it is (else she could have been more specific about it, but all she was specific about was Ringo and her location).

Ringo could simply be the last person she was expecting before she was without a body (or whatever, this is just mindless banter), and now is continuing her research with Himari's body and the twins.

To compare with Utena, the Penguindrum is like the Rose Bride: the real story behind it won't be revealed until the end... so I doubt the diary is it.
Old 2011-07-23, 11:37   Link #600
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muan View Post
Also, at 19:24, ep3, why does Kan conceal the family portrait. Is it a jap thing? He doesn't conceal the parents portrait, only the one with Himari, Sho, and him in it. Those people are all present. Hes not hiding anything except what they looked like as children.

No, wait he conceals the parents portrait too.
I was wondering this too. I saw someone discussing it on live journal who came up with the idea that both Sho & Kan try to shield Himari about their parents. It seems when something is brought up that might lead to this topic they change the subject.

So maybe they hide pictures of their parents when Ringo is there because they don't want her bringing it up around Himari. It's possible they died in a very tragic way. Just a guess!

Tags
drama, ikuhara, penguin, stalking, supernatural, surrealism