AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2016-10-22, 14:13   Link #6021
alex_drian

Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
because "no Koreans allowed" in Japanese manga)
Well, I never see one in manga, but in anime, yep
alex_drian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-22, 19:39   Link #6022
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_drian View Post
Well, I never see one in manga, but in anime, yep
In the Saki anime, or anywhere else? Yuri on Ice IIRC has a Korean character, but is he portrayed as an arrogant rival though?

From what I gather, some Korean businessmen are investing in Japanese anime now, thus the occasional references to Korean culture, and at least one anime is even set in Joseon-era Korea. Of course, this was not without backlash. In the Sakurasou anime, when one of the characters got sick, she was served the Korean samgyetang instead of the more Chinese congee in the Light Novel. Suffice to say, the fanbase was set on fire.

Last edited by judasmartel; 2016-10-22 at 20:17.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-22, 20:08   Link #6023
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
For the other two slots I would vote for Jindai and Koromo.
Old 2016-10-22, 20:20   Link #6024
judasmartel
*Author

@ On-Topic:

1. About Europeans possibly dominating Riichi, I guess China does not dominate international Riichi like they do in standard Mahjong.

2. Oh, there really is such a thing as a World Riichi Championship, but it just got off in 2014.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europe...i_Championship

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Riichi_Championship

Maybe that's where Ritz got the inspiration for the World Championships? When was the first time the World Riichi Champs was mentioned in the manga anyways?

3. Anyone thinks Ritz will go straight up to the World Champs or will she go through the Asian Champs first?
Old 2016-10-22, 20:34   Link #6025
AsterM
Saki Deprived

Quote:
@ On-Topic:

1. About Europeans possibly dominating Riichi, I guess China does not dominate international Riichi like they do in standard Mahjong.

2. Oh, there really is such a thing as a World Riichi Championship, but it just got off in 2014.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europe...i_Championship

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Riichi_Championship

Maybe that's where Ritz got the inspiration for the World Championships? When was the first time the World Riichi Champs was mentioned in the manga anyways?

3. Anyone thinks Ritz will go straight up to the World Champs or will she go through the Asian Champs first?
If Ritz decided to go through the Asian Champs, I'm probably using a cane by the time this manga ends.
AsterM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-22, 21:38   Link #6026
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
For the other two slots I would vote for Jindai and Koromo.
Koromo is a good choice, but Jindai is too inconsistent. I doubt they would pick her up no matter how strong she is when at full power.
Old 2016-10-23, 20:55   Link #6027
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
- Choi Myeonghwa (as much as I like her to play for South Korea, she would probably play for France because "no Koreans allowed" in Japanese manga)
Well. Given the genre we are in I'd hope Hikaru no Go set a good precedent.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-24, 00:14   Link #6028
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Well. Given the genre we are in I'd hope Hikaru no Go set a good precedent.
Okay, so the Korean character is the coach of an opponent team, but is he portrayed as honorable or is he portrayed as straight-up evil?
Old 2016-10-24, 00:20   Link #6029
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

There was a large collection of Korean characters in Hikaru no Go, one of which was a big jerk, another which respected Hikaru, and a bunch of normal people. So yeah, normal humans.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-24, 00:55   Link #6030
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
There was a large collection of Korean characters in Hikaru no Go, one of which was a big jerk, another which respected Hikaru, and a bunch of normal people. So yeah, normal humans.
Then I guess we can only hope Hikaru no Go can set a precedent for more (non-villainous) appearances of Korean characters in Japanese manga and anime.
Old 2016-10-24, 22:15   Link #6031
alex_drian

Quote:
In the Saki anime, or anywhere else? Yuri on Ice IIRC has a Korean character, but is he portrayed as an arrogant rival though?

From what I gather, some Korean businessmen are investing in Japanese anime now, thus the occasional references to Korean culture, and at least one anime is even set in Joseon-era Korea. Of course, this was not without backlash. In the Sakurasou anime, when one of the characters got sick, she was served the Korean samgyetang instead of the more Chinese congee in the Light Novel. Suffice to say, the fanbase was set on fire.
The anime was Pretty Rhythm Dream My Future, where the rival/friend group was composed for korean girls and they had a lot of weight in the plot.

What is the deal with the Korea hate? I didn't know nothing.
Old 2016-10-25, 10:22   Link #6032
tjalorak
Fax Caelestis

My guesses for Team Japan -

Miyanaga Teru
Atago Hiroe
Arakawa Kei
Tsujigaito Satoha
Miyanaga Saki
Old 2016-10-25, 14:47   Link #6033
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_drian View Post
The anime was Pretty Rhythm Dream My Future, where the rival/friend group was composed for korean girls and they had a lot of weight in the plot.

What is the deal with the Korea hate? I didn't know nothing.
Are these Korean girls portrayed as purely evil or are they portrayed as friendly rivals? Are there honorable members among them, or are all of them arrogant or something?

As we all know, the Japan-Korea rivalry so real even up to this day that Korean characters have been pretty much non-existent in Japanese media, and when they do exist they are often portrayed as an ugly bunch of jerks and losers. At least until just recently when anime art starts getting outsourced to South Korea and more sympathetic and honorable Korean characters are appearing in Japanese works. There is even an entire anime series set in Joseon-era Korea (Akatsuki no Yona) instead of the usual Sengoku Jidai era Japan.

Some examples from the top of my head:

- The character representing South Korea was inevitably removed from the Hetalia anime simply because of the MASSIVE criticism about SoKor's potential characterization.

- The aforementioned samgyetang fiasco in Sakurasou. Japanese viewers saw it as a rather blatant way to promote Korean culture in Japanese media, and like I said earlier, the rivalry is still real. So of course, some wise men decided to portray PSY of Gangnam Style fame as a bastion of evil (lol) who kidnaps Japanese kids.

- Choi Myeong-hwa to me seems to be more like a French girl who just so happens to have a Korean sounding name than a French girl of Korean descent or a full Korean raised in France, ostensibly to avoid any potential backlash. And what better way there is to avert the backlash than creating a Western European character who just so happens to have a Korean-sounding name. I mean, hey, she's French, NOT Korean.

With ground-breaking series in the genre like Hikaru no Go which does have an entire team of Koreans portrayed as just another opponent/rival team at best with a good balance of honorable and jerkass characters, we can only hope Ritz would follow suit and let Choi play for South Korea if ever, but I would understand if Ritz would let her play for France instead. Really, I would.
Old 2016-10-25, 16:57   Link #6034
alex_drian

Quote:
Are these Korean girls portrayed as purely evil or are they portrayed as friendly rivals? Are there honorable members among them, or are all of them arrogant or something?

They are nice, charismatic and funny girls, in fact, more that a group of friendly rivals rather they are co-stars/MC together with the main group.
Old 2016-10-25, 21:16   Link #6035
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Ahem.

Can we remain on the topic of the Saki manga here?
Old 2016-10-27, 06:24   Link #6036
Kamieichi

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...ostume/.108155
At least the comparison images amused me.
Now I wonder whether Kyotaro got deleted in this live-actin Saki world by Ritz or not.
Old 2016-10-27, 09:46   Link #6037
King-Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamieichi View Post
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...ostume/.108155
At least the comparison images amused me.
Now I wonder whether Kyotaro got deleted in this live-actin Saki world by Ritz or not.
Not as bad as I thought it'd be. Still not looking forward to this in the slightest though.
King-Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-27, 16:33   Link #6038
King-Slayer

Shinohayu is out.

Finally get to see Kanna's mom but she doesn't do much. I like Kanna and Hayari being more motivated for club activities. Also liked seeing Rena keep on winning.
King-Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-27, 20:16   Link #6039
tsunade666

the live action cast isn't actually bad... I can't believe to say this but, I'm actually looking forward for it.
Old 2016-10-27, 21:40   Link #6040
judasmartel
*Author

So the Live-Action only covers the prefectural tournament?

Goodness, the cast looks like they're members of a J-idol group!

Pretty much the only gripe I have with the LA is that LA Nodoka is now flat (and much more cute, lol) unlike Manga/Anime Nodoka.

Tags
mahjong, nopan, seinen, sport, yuri