AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Web Novels

Notices

Old 2019-05-29, 08:55   Link #7921
sasuke706

Oh I know it doesn't apply to all of them. It's just a general rule of thumb that could probably turn really bad novels into slightly less bad.
Then again the whole list basically amounts to 'put in some effort' which is kinda a given.

I've actually been meaning to read that one myself but have been lazy and getting distracted by other novels.
However, clicking on a couple random chapters, it does have narrative — it just might not be a substantial amount due to the chapter length.
Furthermore, it actually does have over a 2k character count for its chapters, if barely. The average for the novel 2.6k per chapter, and a couple random ones I opened had 3k even.
So really the only thing it would've clearly tagged on my list would be the chapter titles, but it actually has those in a sense; they're just being used as 'volume' titles instead. Chapters are just split into parts like you'd see in a normal LN.
sasuke706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-29, 15:30   Link #7922
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Some points for me

-Male characters other than the MC are allowed to accomplish things, and aren't used as props to make the MC look better
-No emotional manipulation to make the reader dislike characters by making them handsome or popular
-Characters not having some irrational hatred of MC to make them seem put upon
-No weird attitudes to killing (e.g. a person transported from peaceful Japan being perfectly OK with cold blooded murder because they killed monsters recently. At least don't just gloss such attitudes over)

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-29, 16:03   Link #7923
DBAV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
Some points for me

-Male characters other than the MC are allowed to accomplish things, and aren't used as props to make the MC look better
-No emotional manipulation to make the reader dislike characters by making them handsome or popular
-Characters not having some irrational hatred of MC to make them seem put upon
-No weird attitudes to killing (e.g. a person transported from peaceful Japan being perfectly OK with cold blooded murder because they killed monsters recently. At least don't just gloss such attitudes over)
I can understand some authors glossing over the murder drama, it takes a lot of time to develop that decently so most readers will drop the novel for another one that skips that content.
DBAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-29, 16:09   Link #7924
Kyureki
Part-time Translator

A major point for me is that the characters need to have some actual personality to them. It gets really boring and laborious to read something if everyone feels like a plank of wood.
Old 2019-05-29, 21:42   Link #7925
Rasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
In JP stories I actually hate much more the opposite. I hate when fantasy locals have the same attitude towards killing humans and even animals as modern people, even though the world is clearly bloody and warlike.
Rasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-30, 02:41   Link #7926
Garn

I would like to read a novel where the characters around chill down the typical MC.

-You know in the port they eat that kind of food and there are varieties, it's nothing special.
-I bathe every day sometimes several times, after all the monsters have a nose.
-The rice is good but it has no flavor, I prefer a good soup of meat and tubers with multiple spices.
-That sword with only one side with edge is stupid, after all when it wears out in full combat it becomes useless.
-The swords do not cut hard objects.
-You know black hair is common and your eyes are not black, they are brown.
-Do you think a woman would stick to you for no reason?.
-You know, I liked you but I'm not going to go out with someone with such mental problems that even forgives the lives of murderers and rapists.
Garn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-30, 02:47   Link #7927
Breimn

Any good otome novel with male MC ? Like the one erotora reccomended quite a while ago, with MC falling in love with villainess and otome heroine being a b*tch sleeping with many guys. That was a good read.
The World of Otome Games is Tough For Mobs is good too.
Breimn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-30, 03:18   Link #7928
Rinvelt
駄目人間

Wow, Narou suddenly changed its home page design.
Rinvelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-30, 05:29   Link #7929
n0m@n
C-Z

Yeah, that surprised me too.

Also anyone else reading the series below?
https://ncode.syosetu.com/n9185fm/

It's pretty good despite the story hasn't progressed much lol.
n0m@n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-30, 05:42   Link #7930
Rinvelt
駄目人間

It's Anikki, so yeah, I read.

This time it shouldn't be harem, unlike his other series, so I wonder how it'll go. (he can't help but use girls to advance the plot in his other novels)

While I'm here, I read this too recently: https://ncode.syosetu.com/n2166fe/ - 夢見る男子は現実主義者

Nothing much happens, but I enjoy it. The MC has a pretty fun thought pattern.
Old 2019-06-01, 02:47   Link #7931
Garn

It is a recurrent point but the authors think that those who lived in the middle ages were so stupid that they could not even do mental calculations.
I just read a novel that borders on the ridiculous, where in the most prestigious class for aristocrats (16yo) the exam contained mathematical problems that were sums of maximum 2 digits, and the most impressive thing that the MC solved it without formulas, for some sums.
Old 2019-06-01, 03:05   Link #7932
Rasty

^ They usually used their fingers as calculators. There were even some pretty complex systems for counting up to 100 (and more as long as it were multiples of 12 or 60). All of that is of course only true for common folk (serfs, farmers etc.) nobles, clerks and merchants were pretty learned and there should have been no problem for them to do even much more complex math (like trigonometry etc.).
Old 2019-06-02, 10:45   Link #7933
Rinvelt
駄目人間

甘やかされ体質の俺は、今日も母である女勇者にめちゃくちゃ世話を焼かれ、姉である猫耳獣王に も死ぬほど溺 愛されています from the previous page is getting a nocturne version called 甘やかされ体質の俺は、今日もお母さん勇者に性的に世話を焼かれ、猫耳のお姉ちゃん獣王にも性的に溺愛され ています。
Old 2019-06-02, 11:01   Link #7934
TXBPNTVN

^FAQs for both versions, please.
TXBPNTVN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-02, 11:04   Link #7935
Rinvelt
駄目人間

I don't read, just saw it on Twitter, and because it came up in the previous page I notified that there actually is a version where they do things.
Old 2019-06-02, 12:05   Link #7936
Rasty

^ Interesting, considering it is a remake of Syosetsu series it should (I hope) be story heavy and might have fast pace updates. Well, I am gonna give it at least a week to see whether it gets anywhere and then check it. I have recently had no luck finding interesting series, so trying a noct one for a change might be a good idea. If anyone reads this one (the narou version as there is not much on the noct one yet) some info would be interesting.
Old 2019-06-02, 12:25   Link #7937
sasuke706

I haven't read it in a while, but of the 15 chapters I have read, family (mother, older sister, brother) dies and gets reincarnated with strong abilities because why not.
Except the protagonist has no memory of his previous life and has no ability, but the heroine? (mother) is sure he's her son and that he's the strongest of the three because that's what she asked god to do.
Incidentally she's only like 2 years older than him in this world.

So the protagonist gets into danger because of his mother doting on him, mother saves him, dotes on him, repeat. Protagonist doesn't really do anything himself and is just kinda there. No mentionable personality either.
I noticed the Nocturn version has the incest tag but it's more mental incest than genetic incest since they all reincarnated into different families. Unless it means the 'little sister' character also in the tags I haven't gotten far enough to see.
The older sister only had a cameo from where I left off but she also seemed pretty much up the same vein as the mother.
In the Narou version the relationship with the mother was kinda risque (a lot of boob-to-face and stuff) but while the mother would enjoy going on "dates" with the MC she never showed any clear-cut romantic feelings, nor did they ever really cross any definite 'male-female love' lines, which will get crossed in the Nocturn version I imagine.

Despite being under the comedy genre it doesn't really try to write everything serious (like protagonist being kidnapped) off as gags, which is nice.
Really don't understand why it's under the comedy genre. Not that it's particularly a serious story or anything, but it's not comedic like at all.
sasuke706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-02, 13:50   Link #7938
Rasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasuke706 View Post
So the protagonist gets into danger because of his mother doting on him, mother saves him, dotes on him, repeat. Protagonist doesn't really do anything himself and is just kinda there. No mentionable personality either.
That kind of sucked out 90% of my willingness to read it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasuke706 View Post
Really don't understand why it's under the comedy genre. Not that it's particularly a serious story or anything, but it's not comedic like at all.
Which narou WN is even really serious recently? I don't mean dark, but the ones that take themselves seriously are almost non-existent recently. Santairiku kinda is half-serious and Mapping is too, but except for those two I don't remember almost any. Most of the novels even if they start serious turn into a cheap gag comedy later on (Yondome for example).
Old 2019-06-02, 15:15   Link #7939
Rinvelt
駄目人間

^Though you didn't like it, Negawakuba is constantly serious.
Old 2019-06-02, 15:25   Link #7940
Garn

The seriousness went to noc

Tags
web novel