AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2006-03-01, 07:45   Link #61
Oberon

Just finished reading the final chapter and thought I'd follow up with some overall ramblings and, well, thoughts.

Spoiler for the final chapter:
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-01, 18:44   Link #62
tsurumaru
I refuse to die dammit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Oh no! Please no~
I feel your pain...
tsurumaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-04, 09:59   Link #63
suguru
京都 ikitai~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon
Just finished reading the final chapter and thought I'd follow up with some overall ramblings and, well, thoughts.

Spoiler for the final chapter:
Reading the last chapter of YKK felt a lot like watching the last episode of Zettai Shonen--there are too many unanswered questions to list, and normally a really open-ended "ending" like this would make me start tearing my hair out, but somehow this kind of ending fits the series well. I'd like to have seen what happened to Director Alpha, or more of her backstory, to find out why humanity is slowly but peacefully fading away (most of the population is sterile maybe?), to see what Alpha does when the waves finally catch up to her beloved cafe (move it to what's left of Yokohama?), to find out what happened to the Owner, or to get some backstory on the Misago and how she came to be--but wrapping up every plot point could have taken another 140 chapters easily, and after twelve years of YKK, while I'd like to see it go on forever I can understand how the manga-ka would be ready to start a new project.

I give the author credit for taking the usual conflict-climax-denouement formula for storytelling, tossing it completely out the window, and making a compelling story anyway. I get the impression a lot of fans of the manga didn't like the OVAs, but I'm hoping YKK will get a longer anime treatment as well (probably a long shot, but I can hope).

And one more thought on the end:

Spoiler:
suguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-04, 12:49   Link #64
TooPurePureBoy
Socially Inept

Ya this is one of those endings to a story that make you feel hollow and sad but at the same time very fullfilled. I'd be proud just say i've experienced YKK to anybody, but if they asked me what the story was about I'd have a really hard time answering. Not really sure how to put it into words but it is a glorious work of art that I'm glad I took the time to experience. I'm sad to see it go but at the same time I'm proud for the mangaka because until the very end he really never faultered from a flawless portrayal of the theme and tone he wanted to present. He didn't do flawed things in order to keep his story interesting on a more shallow level and for that he should be held in high esteem.
TooPurePureBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-19, 08:31   Link #65
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

While still preparing his new work, Ashinano had this 'Special' chapter published in Afternoon a month or so ago...

YKK Special Chapter - 「峠」 "Mountain Pass"

- Enjoy
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-19, 13:59   Link #66
Stxopher
Confused but useless....

Thanks for the heads up. Definately a short little thing but fit so well.
Stxopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-20, 16:04   Link #67
G. Zeus
Cafe Alpha customer

Send a message via Yahoo to G. Zeus
So our beloved Alpha's been promoted from coffee shop manager to local legend. How fitting

I've been trying to create a sort of "reader's guide to YKK" since not all people have the time to figure out the story and connect the details on their own. In it would be chapter summaries, memorable lines, personal comments and interpretations, indications of related chapters and reoccuring themes and common fan speculations floating around the internet.

[edit]: And much like the licensing of YKK, the chances of this being finished are close to nil.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
<º))))><.¸.•´¯`•.¸reviews¸.•´¯`•.¸links¸.•´¯`•.¸.><((((º>

Last edited by G. Zeus; 2007-03-24 at 11:19.
G. Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-28, 02:47   Link #68
textureheap

I just got a chance to see the anime for this, didn't know about the manga. Only took a couple of minutes to realize this was a gem of an anime. This manga is very unusual, really awesome to find this entire series available online too
textureheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-24, 11:18   Link #69
G. Zeus
Cafe Alpha customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by textureheap View Post
This manga is very unusual, really awesome to find this entire series available online too
Partially due to the unfortunate fact that this manga is still unlicensed and will probably remain that way. A blessing and a curse if you will.

[UPDATE:]
The nominees for the Seiun ("nebula") Award have been announced and guess who's one of them.

If these articles are correct, Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou will be competing against Busô Renkin, Karakuri Circus, Yôsei-koku no Kishi, and Death Note for the Comic category.

While being nominated alone is already an honor, winning the award would really be neat since it could boost the chances of the manga getting a proper and official translation.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou

Last edited by G. Zeus; 2007-09-04 at 07:59.
Old 2007-09-02, 06:02   Link #70
Dop
Mmmm....

The Winner!

According to this, Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou won this year's Seiun award for best manga.

Excellent!

I'm with G.Zeus on this one, hopefully this will increase the chance of the series being licensed!
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-08, 21:33   Link #71
steelbound
Yuki-ism

I recently discovered, read, and loved Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou. When I looked around for wallpapers, I didn't find many. Therefore, I decided to try to may some of my own and here they are.

Old 2007-12-09, 11:15   Link #72
Jiji
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbound View Post
I recently discovered, read, and loved Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou. When I looked around for wallpapers, I didn't find many. Therefore, I decided to try to may some of my own and here they are.
Really excellent, steelbound! Thanks. I've collected other wallpapers from various fans over the years. I think I discovered YKK in 2000 or so.

Spoiler for for large sizes:

These are just three of the best, I think.

In other news, Kabu no Isaki appears to be Ashinano-sensei's new series now. There has been two releases, chapters 1 and 2 so far. Go to Cafe Alpha to read or DL. There's tons of speculation on whether this is taking place in Alpha's world or not, although the leading theory so far is that Kabu no Isaki is a prequel, or at least earlier in time than YKK. I suppose we ought to start a new thread for it? I, for one, breathlessly await the next chapter.
Jiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-20, 05:04   Link #73
G. Zeus
Cafe Alpha customer

Wow. Recent signs of life.

Spoiler for wallpapers:

Shameless plug:
Recently updated the YKK review (linked in my sig) to contain links to other YKK reviews by various authors and bloggers online.

Other stuff:
YKK jumped from #11 to #6 at MyAnimeList.net this week and has been occupying the top spot in Anime New Network's top 10 list of best rated manga for 3 or more weeks now. At Baka-Updates Manga, the series is still at #27 (with multiple tied titles).

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
Old 2007-12-20, 05:16   Link #74
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Ah, but how well loved is it in Japanese ratings? That is crucial if it is ever going to get as much animated love as Aria.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-20, 06:21   Link #75
G. Zeus
Cafe Alpha customer

I haven't the slightest idea, I don't know enough moonspeak yet to navigate through those pages. I'm hoping that the positive feedback for the manga would eventually catch the attention of some English licensing/publishing company though.

Sidenote:
Should we create separate threads for Ashinano's other works (PositioN, Kumabachi no Koto, Kabu no Isaki) or would you prefer to have the discussions here as well? He's not exactly the most popular mangaka out there (i.e. relatively few readers -> expect few replies) and most of works so far seem to have the same themes and atmosphere anyway.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou

Last edited by G. Zeus; 2007-12-20 at 06:36.
Old 2007-12-20, 17:27   Link #76
Jiji
*Scanlator

Personally, I'd be surprised if PositioN warrants enough interest and/or discussion to have it's own thread. (And I look at "Kumabachi" as a part of the PositioN group of stories.) But if, as it is looking like, Kabu no Isaki is going to be Ashinano-sensei's new series, then it could probably use it's own thread. And I think I'll start that thread today.
Jiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-21, 18:17   Link #77
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

Danbooru is still up you know. (Ads are NSFW)

http://danbooru.donmai.us/post?tags=...kaidashi_kikou
Old 2008-01-03, 07:49   Link #78
Ottocycle

I'm looking for the Chinese tankoubons of this manga. Might anyone know, by any chance about any publisher that exists for them?
Ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-29, 17:08   Link #79
NaweG
Just some guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
Ah, but how well loved is it in Japanese ratings? That is crucial if it is ever going to get as much animated love as Aria.
I do wonder if with Aria coming to a close if that will make an "opening" for YKK to get a full treatment.

Personally I've started playing around with Blender (using it's version of toon shading), talked to a couple of voice acting friends, and a friend with some music background about doing our own "episodes". Not sure what the video equivalent of a dojinshi/doujinshi would be called...

Anyway, with the recent award, and with a new series that an anime of this one could promote, one can hope that perhaps the stars are finally lining up for this!
NaweG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-01, 00:15   Link #80
G. Zeus
Cafe Alpha customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbug23 View Post
I'm looking for the Chinese tankoubons of this manga. Might anyone know, by any chance about any publisher that exists for them?
Ahahahaha...

If you insist, you could check out this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaweG View Post
Personally I've started playing around with Blender (using it's version of toon shading), talked to a couple of voice acting friends, and a friend with some music background about doing our own "episodes". Not sure what the video equivalent of a dojinshi/doujinshi would be called...
Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaweG View Post
I do wonder if with Aria coming to a close if that will make an "opening" for YKK to get a full treatment.

Anyway, with the recent award, and with a new series that an anime of this one could promote, one can hope that perhaps the stars are finally lining up for this!
Aye. After 12 volumes, 3 seasons, 1 OAV, and 1 PS2 game, let's just hope that they suffer from withdrawal symptoms that's bad enough to make them look for alternatives.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou

Last edited by G. Zeus; 2008-03-01 at 00:35.

Tags
seinen, slice of life