Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2019-02-02, 06:44   Link #61
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddo-kun View Post
Watched episode 4:

Torture seems to be a normal thing for this anime. Well, that surprise shot by Kurumi on Abegail allow them to escape the room. Did not expect that her syringe can fire it's needle like a dart gun. Maybe Kurumi can make Nozomi's arm grow again?

Asuka vs two creepy russian guys next episode. Can't wait for next week, this show is getting hot.
I don't think it can be considered a spoiler. Kurumy cannot make the cut arm regenrate but she can attach it back and heal.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-02, 06:46   Link #62
Der Langrisser
Valkyrie pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddo-kun View Post
Watched episode 4:

Torture seems to be a normal thing for this anime. Maybe Kurumi can make Nozomi's arm grow again?
Since she's a Magical Medic, I guess Kurumi is probably able to reattach cut limbs.

And yeah, torture is business as usual in both the manga and the anime.
Der Langrisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-02, 07:10   Link #63
LG-MAX 2.o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Sergeant View Post
Asuka Ep 4 was far more disturbing than any Goblin Slayer episode. That was pretty gruesome.

We got a little more back story and a little more world building.
If this is true, then where is the hatred about the episode?
LG-MAX 2.o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-02, 12:05   Link #64
Top Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG-MAX 2.o View Post
If this is true, then where is the hatred about the episode?
That's a good question. The torture scene in Asuka was much longer and just as horrific, but apparently either torture doesn't charge up the holier-than-thou Anime gods on youtube, or they simply aren't watching Asuka. Or both.
Old 2019-02-02, 12:30   Link #65
Nivek von Beldo

Quote:
That's a good question. The torture scene in Asuka was much longer and just as horrific, but apparently either torture doesn't charge up the holier-than-thou Anime gods on youtube, or they simply aren't watching Asuka. Or both.
This is a seinen, only true adults are watching it anyway
Nivek von Beldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-02, 14:37   Link #66
Mars Terra

So this Francine is the same person as Abigail, or do the two just happen to share the same hair and eyes color?

Sacchuu popping up to explain War Nurse's ability is pretty jarring given the urgency of the situation, with Asuka and Kurumi going to save Nozomi who--for all they know--could be dead, and we the audience just saw her skin burned clean off. The tone of this series can be inconsistent--between this and the huge contrast of the events happening in the main story and the more slice of life moments.

Currently reading:: The Sirens of Titan.
Mars Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-02, 15:01   Link #67
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars Terra View Post
So this Francine is the same person as Abigail, or do the two just happen to share the same hair and eyes color?
Nach, its just a common way to show foreigners in the anime.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-02, 15:21   Link #68
Nivek von Beldo

Quote:

Sacchuu popping up to explain War Nurse's ability is pretty jarring given the urgency of the situation, with Asuka and Kurumi going to save Nozomi who--for all they know--could be dead, and we the audience just saw her skin burned clean off. The tone of this series can be inconsistent--between this and the huge contrast of the events happening in the main story and the more slice of life moments.
That is the point, read one my comments, that was very jarring and dissonant but was the weird joke, the cute mascot explaining the magical girl power just straight of pretty cure or a more shonen series in what is a very serious seinen, that show how a more realistic magical girl would be even playing all the magical girls troupes..that cracked me a black humour laugh
Old 2019-02-02, 18:23   Link #69
Ghostfriendly

Quote:
The problem isn't that Goblinslayer is graphic, it deals with these themes intolerably. If any character recovers from torture or rape, it is empowering. Even if civilians like Nozomi or the GS villagers fail to recover, not all of us are heroes. But if woman presented as strong like Fighter fails to recover, it is disempowering and I reasonably find it offensive. Especially when the entire RPG-with-rapist-goblins-and-female-adventurers setting is artlessly contrived to bring down warrior women (including Sword Maiden) in this way, whilst glorifying a traditional male hero and his nonthreatening harem of virginal mages and archers.

Yes, a show like Asuka, despite the fanservice, centred on strong heroines who've already withstood the trauma of war, is one that I'd much rather be watching than Goblinslayer.

Last edited by Ghostfriendly; 2019-02-03 at 03:48.
Ghostfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-03, 07:43   Link #70
LG-MAX 2.o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostfriendly View Post
The problem isn't that Goblinslayer is graphic, it deals with these themes intolerably. If any character recovers from torture or rape, it is empowering. Even if civilians like Nozomi or the GS villagers fail to recover, not all of us are heroes. But if woman presented as strong like Fighter fails to recover, it is disempowering and I reasonably find it offensive. Especially when the entire RPG-with-rapist-goblins-and-female-adventurers setting is artlessly contrived to bring down warrior women (including Sword Maiden) in this way, whilst glorifying a traditional male hero and his nonthreatening harem of virginal mages and archers.

Yes, a show like Asuka, despite the fanservice, centred on strong heroines who've already withstood the trauma of war, is one that I'd much rather be watching than Goblinslayer.
I posted this on the first page.

Quote:
Um, episode was pretty violent. the heroine is not shy in dismembering her enemies. fortunately having a woman killing people violently does not go against what modern society considers acceptable, so there should be no censorship in the version crunchyroll.
In the end it's just a matter of genre nowadays, in Goblin Slayer no one cared about the leader of the group of newbies being killed and dismembered by goblins, probably because he was a man, sad that.

They talk so much about equality, but it seems misandry disguised in some cases.
Old 2019-02-03, 07:48   Link #71
Der Langrisser
Valkyrie pilot

Quote:
Nah, Francine was the former leader of the group before they became the Magical Five, and she's definitely dead, afaik.
Old 2019-02-03, 10:57   Link #72
Ghostfriendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG-MAX 2.o View Post
In the end it's just a matter of genre nowadays, in Goblin Slayer no one cared about the leader of the group of newbies being killed and dismembered by goblins, probably because he was a man, sad that.

They talk so much about equality, but it seems misandry disguised in some cases.
Not misandry at all. Warrior's fictional death (and the female Wizard's) did not kill anybody, but ideas like human agency and dignity are really attacked by the ideas behind cack-handed fictional treatment of rape. Female agency and human dignity have been historically, particularly attacked in a way that isn't the case for men. When female heroes are fighting restrictive gender roles as well as monsters, it's no misandry to say that's a point in their favour for me. If male heroes are glorified at the expense of women, that's part of a historical social problem, and I usually won't even drop the show, but it's a minus.

Even shows like PMMM with a rather wimpy male cast do not have the reverse problem, when strong emancipated male heroes in stories without female presence have been ten a penny from the year dot. The MS Asuka male cast actually seem to be competent professionals.

I'm not at all surprised that the violent action I've seen in MS Asuka wasn't censored, and sure this has nothing to do with gender. MS Asuka had blurry ragdolling extras and lashings of ketchup, with a fearful girl being saved. Goblinslayer was not violent action but horror, cranking up terror, pain and indignity on characterised victims the audience could identify with, and who were not meaningfully saved.

I haven't seen the torture scene in MS Asuka, but if Nozumi isn't raped or oversexualised, and is saved to eventually recover, I'm not worried. Consider that killing and torture can be practically justified; rape cannot. You can die or be tortured with dignity; rape is loss of dignity. The way MS Asuka deals with torture should be more important in distinguishing it thematically from GS than the gore onscreen.

If you don't agree with any of this, please accept that I have reasons for my views, and don't deserve a genuinely insulting term such as misandry.

Last edited by Ghostfriendly; 2019-02-03 at 11:47.
Old 2019-02-03, 17:55   Link #73
alex_drian

Damn man, we can't enjoy all rape and torture in anime as good friends?
alex_drian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-03, 20:27   Link #74
Ghostfriendly

Sure, I like MS Asuka so far. The cast we've met is decently diverse with a stoic MC, girly and Yandere-ish BFF, a spunky civilian friend and a bookworm civilian. Not exactly original but diverse, and the old tropes are the best.
Old 2019-02-04, 04:36   Link #75
LG-MAX 2.o

Quote:
If you don't agree with any of this, please accept that I have reasons for my views, and don't deserve a genuinely insulting term such as misandry.
I will never offend or forbid someone to express their opinion, I am old school XD. I just pointed out a point what today is a taboo to say.

That depending on the gender, there are things that are allowed from the new view of the standard of morality and there are things that are not. The last controversy with Boku no Hero showed this.

Quote:
Damn man, we can't enjoy all rape and torture in anime as good friends?
I agree.
Old 2019-02-08, 15:29   Link #76
Nivek von Beldo

Don't tell me Queen was one of the 11 that survived and goes insane....that would be a blow to asuka and co.

Poor Nozomi but that mind wipe was for the best.

Using Nozomi as a bait...like always foreing affair meddling when they should not..that will not end well...again.

Seems we got more troubles later on.

Amazing chapter, the tension and the resolve and how ended, this anime this amazing, hope it keep that pace
Old 2019-02-08, 16:43   Link #77
Der Langrisser
Valkyrie pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek von Beldo View Post
Don't tell me Queen was one of the 11 that survived and goes insane....that would be a blow to asuka and co.

Poor Nozomi but that mind wipe was for the best.

Using Nozomi as a bait...like always foreing affair meddling when they should not..that will not end well...again.

Seems we got more troubles later on.

Amazing chapter, the tension and the resolve and how ended, this anime this amazing, hope it keep that pace
You got it wrong, they were 11 during the war, but only 5 survived, hence why they're called the "Magical Five", and there's a possibility the Queen is amongst the six that died, but who knows.

Yes, the mind wipe was for the best, it's probably better to erase traumatic memories than to live with a PTSD for the rest of your life.
Old 2019-02-08, 17:36   Link #78
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
You know I kind of forgot how long the show had been going on in that universe. So I wasn't entirely sure if the memory wipe was going to erase Asuka from her memory entirely or just a few events. If it was entirely then I could understand Asuka being hesitant about the treatment. Luckily it doesn't appear to be that involved. Suppose they'll have to tell any other friends to not mention anything that happened the past week, but that's not bad.

Honestly the memory wipe was the only good option. She would have been messed up beyond measure and struggled to interact with people on a day to day basis. Good luck avoiding scissors for a lifetime. Some things don't need to be remembered. And honestly we forget a lot anyways. I'm not sure about every detail of things I did a week ago. But if I was traumatized by something a week ago that's the only part I would keep remembering. Nozomi is better off just having her arms and no memories of what happened.

Using the girl as bait...well that's unsavory. But in some ways easier on Asuka. Having someone she wants to protect nearby will motivate her. Dangerous, but such is. And frankly I think moving her might be more risky. Can't say they wouldn't be able to track her down even if she went into hiding. And then there'd be even less hope to save her. It does walk a dangerous line of creating the same sort of traumatic disaster that happened with Asuka's family. But that's a given anyways. Asuka would still have one friend going to that school and tough not to have connections with anyone.

It does seem possible this 'Queen' is one of the 6 presumed dead. Depending on how those 6 died it's possible they could only presume death and not confirm it in each case.
Old 2019-02-08, 18:42   Link #79
Ghostfriendly

Have now watched ep 4. It was more gory than I expected, and certainly shocking, but, as I did expect, not so thematically and morally disturbing as Goblinslayer. I'm not surprised people were more disturbed by GS but I didn't enjoy the MS Asuka torture scene and wouldn't object to it having a warning or age rating.

The 'mascot explains truth serum' bit seemed a rather forced jab at Mahou Shoujo conventions; we can probably guess what it does. Absurdly sexy police chief's reasoning also a bit contrived, but the key rescue scene was satisfying.
Old 2019-02-08, 18:46   Link #80
Der Langrisser
Valkyrie pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
It does seem possible this 'Queen' is one of the 6 presumed dead. Depending on how those 6 died it's possible they could only presume death and not confirm it in each case.

Yup, and out of the six, we already know three of them and they don't look like the Queen.

Tags
seinen, torture