AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Shana

Notices

View Poll Results: Shakugan no Shana II - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 7 8.97%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 17 21.79%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 21 26.92%
7 out of 10 : Good 19 24.36%
6 out of 10 : Average 11 14.10%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.28%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.28%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.28%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-12-11, 23:04   Link #61
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3

A really good episode. Well i wonder if Pheles is that green haired girl in the OP.

Also another thing to mention is i think Sakai's dad is more than a regular person. I doubt he is just a regular person. I am saying this, because we dont know how Sakai got Reigi Maigo. So it will be interesting.
Old 2007-12-11, 23:14   Link #62
akitakumi
Akizz

yeah i also think that the light green hair girl is pheles and he is finding johan which is in reiji maigo... anyway this episode was cool but i reli hope that shana is juliet
Old 2007-12-11, 23:30   Link #63
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

What the crap did this show turn into?

I mean seriously, how many times did Shana and what's her face (this shows you how much I actually care at this point) just stare into nothingness after someone blubbered some cliche crap about love? When did this show turn into "101 mind numbingly long and slow ways to get into Yuji's pants?"

This show had a romantic aspect to it second, and all the mystery of being a flame haze, and where Shana came from, and the real FANTASY aspect is what pulled me in the first season. We already went through this crap with Shana and what's her face with the two dumb things in her hair fighting over him, why are they seriously pushing it again? It was seriously bad enough that the realtionship between Shana and Yuji reset at the start of the season (absolutely the worst direction to go with imo), but to DRAG this type of thing out with an obvious plot device that noone actually cares for (that being Konoe)?

Yuji's dad was pretty boring too. "Oh HEY SORRY, I LIKE STALKING GIRLS HALF MY AGE AND ALL, TEE HEE HEE". Yeah ok. Fifty bucks says Chigusa takes that sorry guy upstairs laters, puts a strap on, well, on, and goes to work on the guy. Zzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Let's get to the really freaking meat of the show here, seriously.

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Old 2007-12-11, 23:37   Link #64
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Haha, Yuji's dad just standing behind that lightpole all freaking day was just amusingly weird. Stalker-san must be spending time in jail between appearances, lol.

Where you been, Dad? It's been like, 30 episodes. Don't I even get a hug? ;_;

;_;

Agreed, Chibi, should have seen that "deep conversation about love" coming a mile away.

Looking forward to info on the Mango.
Old 2007-12-11, 23:47   Link #65
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post
but to DRAG this type of thing out with an obvious plot device that noone actually cares for (that being Konoe)?
Konoe actually had something to do with what happened in this episode? Since when?

I suppose if was the wrong choice to put this arc after the Konoe arc, but it can't be helped. The stuff happening here (the festival, development of Shana's approach to Yuji) acts as a setup to a meaty part of the story.
Old 2007-12-12, 00:11   Link #66
Master Chibi

Well then they should have made this second season 13 episodes long. 10 episodes in and we've barely gotten anything worth remembering.

Old 2007-12-12, 00:26   Link #67
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I retain hope that Khamsin's reappearance might be a catalyst to bring some much needed ass-whuppin' to all this teen angst. Anyone who can make other flame haze wet themselves in fear at the mere mention that he plans to fight certainly has the mojo to make it happen.
Old 2007-12-12, 01:12   Link #68
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

So, who was Silver? The former owner of the Reiji Maigo? Just a freakish tomogara who ate the real Yuuji and made a torch out of him?
Old 2007-12-12, 01:14   Link #69
Master Chibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
So, who was Silver? The former owner of the Reiji Maigo? Just a freakish tomogara who ate the real Yuuji and made a torch out of him?
Who cares?

We have to repeat what someone says 10 times during an episodes!

"IF YOU BUILD IT, THEY WILL COME."

Old 2007-12-12, 02:34   Link #70
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

This is what we call a stalling episode folks! Get ready for some big plot development...

Overall this episode got an 7/10 from me as it did well for what it was intended to do. It got points knocked off for lame life advice (Honestly they make it seem like Shana is brain dead) and honestly crap drawing. Otherwise I was pleased that there was no more jealously going on since that was getting very annoying.
Old 2007-12-12, 02:42   Link #71
Tokkan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
This is what we call a stalling episode folks! Get ready for some big plot development...
Yeah... apart from the fact that the preview for the next episode flat out told us that there's going to be some big plot development.
Old 2007-12-12, 04:22   Link #72
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkan View Post
Yeah... apart from the fact that the preview for the next episode flat out told us that there's going to be some big plot development.
For some reason, Shana's previews have always seem to give out a lot of the plot in the next episode.

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
Old 2007-12-12, 04:33   Link #73
Grimkill7
Inattentive Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiachopvutru View Post
For some reason, Shana's previews have always seem to give out a lot of the plot in the next episode.
I think it's because the show's former glory has been so corroded away, that they have to do whatever they can to get people to watch the next episode.
Old 2007-12-12, 06:04   Link #74
Tokkan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimkill7 View Post
I think it's because the show's former glory has been so corroded away, that they have to do whatever they can to get people to watch the next episode.
Aside from eps 3-6, Shana II has been exactly like the first season in terms of storytelling. My observations have shown me that people are either bitter about those episodes and that's why they look down on the slice of life episodes, or they're completely missing what the focus of the story is. I'm liking season 2 so far, the only disappointment I had was the 4-episode length of the Konoe arc. That was unnecessary, the slice-of-life moments are an important element in Shana but to make a whole story arc based around it isn't exactly the smartest thing to do with a fantasy series, since it leaves the plot at a standstill.
Old 2007-12-12, 07:52   Link #75
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Send a message via AIM to minhtam1638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post
What the crap did this show turn into?

I mean seriously, how many times did Shana and what's her face (this shows you how much I actually care at this point) just stare into nothingness after someone blubbered some cliche crap about love? When did this show turn into "101 mind numbingly long and slow ways to get into Yuji's pants?"

This show had a romantic aspect to it second, and all the mystery of being a flame haze, and where Shana came from, and the real FANTASY aspect is what pulled me in the first season. We already went through this crap with Shana and what's her face with the two dumb things in her hair fighting over him, why are they seriously pushing it again? It was seriously bad enough that the realtionship between Shana and Yuji reset at the start of the season (absolutely the worst direction to go with imo), but to DRAG this type of thing out with an obvious plot device that noone actually cares for (that being Konoe)?

Yuji's dad was pretty boring too. "Oh HEY SORRY, I LIKE STALKING GIRLS HALF MY AGE AND ALL, TEE HEE HEE". Yeah ok. Fifty bucks says Chigusa takes that sorry guy upstairs laters, puts a strap on, well, on, and goes to work on the guy. Zzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Let's get to the really freaking meat of the show here, seriously.
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm personally offended by your words here.

So when did this show turn into 101 ways to whatever? Hello? Have you even read the novel material? As much as Shana's confession in season 1 was beautiful, IT WASN'T SUPPOSED TO FRICKIN HAPPEN! Takahashi had to make sure J.C. Staff went to every single plot that was missing in season 1 that had a lot of emphasis on material.

So, you got pulled in by fantasy, eh? Well, this show isn't all about fun and games, you know. As much as this was considered shounen anime, I always detested calling this a shounen anime because of the romantic sub plot that isn't supposed to be a sub plot. It's supposed to be 50-50, not 80-20, and now J.C. Staff is working their butts off trying to fix it so it would be on par with the novels. Best way to do that? Add filler plot. Then emphasis is served. Why haven't we moved on to Novel 10-11 yet? To make sure we cover all the important parts in Novel 8-9 that were missed in S1, you have to add something boring that builds up the plot. I'm still sort of upset that the Fumina arc has dragged out for so long, but the build up to Episode 6 made that worth it. This episode is supposed to build up to the next episode, where a scene in particular discussed at the top of page 3 will get everyone's minds blowing and all of a sudden hate Wilhelmina regardless of how much plot she actually goes through.

And since when is this show going 2 courses? Last I checked, it wasn't even announced that we're going 24 episodes.

You want meat? Go through the fat first.
Old 2007-12-12, 07:58   Link #76
holyman282
Snape: "I hate Potter!"

Well because i'm a major fan of Shakugan no Shana, I won't rate it any lower then 7, although I was a bit dissapointed with this ep, not because of the character development but because of the way it's done.

I've raised this issue a couple of times, but the way in which the writers develop and grow the characters seems unusually forced. Taking long winded philosophy from their friends and family, while seemingly maturing the instance afterwards. There has to be a better way to teach the characters lessons about love and life, without sitting them down for 5 minutes while another character talks about "wanting to be close to this person". It just doesn't flow.

I much prefer characters that learn from experience then simply from a pep talk.

Otherwise, pretty nice ep, we got some clues about Konoe and now it's near certain that she's not human. Also it seemed like Pheles and Willhemina had some past relationship? Because look at the way Willhemina reacts to talk about Pheles and how her eyes seemingly begin to tremble.
Old 2007-12-12, 08:20   Link #77
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Master Chibli I salute you!

Anyway on to my thoughts about epi 10....

Spoiler:

@holyman282 - Hee hee I have to agree with you about the peptalk stuff. But then again we wouldn't have wasted, I mean watched 5 episodes of dumb arse Yuji if he could learn from experience instead of needing someone to spell stuff out on a big bill board for him. I'm still waiting for the person who will enlighten him.....

The reversal in Shana and Yoshida from Margery's pep talk annoyed the bleep out of me. I'm a great believer in karma and it just doesn't feel right for me when episode after episode of emo angsting gets swept under the carpet with a one liner.

Any ways I'm looking forward to the stuff in the preview.
Old 2007-12-12, 08:50   Link #78
Child_of_Sierra

Er, the entire scene about Wilhelmina and Khamsim was rather awkward. Wilhelmina seemed scared but Khamsim was nonchalant. (like he knew all along that Pheles was alive and the Mystes was in danger but could not be bothered to contact via long distance). They needn't really have met in person just to talk right :confuse:

Spoiler for little off topic Monster reference:
Old 2007-12-12, 09:27   Link #79
Kiyoru

Hm, this season is very slow. I mean, don't get me wrong, I like all the lovey-dovey parts, but seriously, the action in this anime beats it hands down. And quite frankly, there's not enough action in this season. The only good part of this episode was the last 2 or 3 minutes, imo.

Something better happen soon

edit: what's the name for the guy in the orange top and the big thingy on his back? I know he's been in past episodes, but I forgot his name ;___;
Old 2007-12-12, 09:44   Link #80
Kristen
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by minhtam2448 View Post
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm personally offended by your words here.

So when did this show turn into 101 ways to whatever? Hello? Have you even read the novel material? As much as Shana's confession in season 1 was beautiful, IT WASN'T SUPPOSED TO FRICKIN HAPPEN! Takahashi had to make sure J.C. Staff went to every single plot that was missing in season 1 that had a lot of emphasis on material.

So, you got pulled in by fantasy, eh? Well, this show isn't all about fun and games, you know. As much as this was considered shounen anime, I always detested calling this a shounen anime because of the romantic sub plot that isn't supposed to be a sub plot. It's supposed to be 50-50, not 80-20, and now J.C. Staff is working their butts off trying to fix it so it would be on par with the novels. Best way to do that? Add filler plot. Then emphasis is served. Why haven't we moved on to Novel 10-11 yet? To make sure we cover all the important parts in Novel 8-9 that were missed in S1, you have to add something boring that builds up the plot. I'm still sort of upset that the Fumina arc has dragged out for so long, but the build up to Episode 6 made that worth it. This episode is supposed to build up to the next episode, where a scene in particular discussed at the top of page 3 will get everyone's minds blowing and all of a sudden hate Wilhelmina regardless of how much plot she actually goes through.

And since when is this show going 2 courses? Last I checked, it wasn't even announced that we're going 24 episodes.

You want meat? Go through the fat first.
I really understand that they are trying to get the romance part and stuff down from the books that they cut out. I mean, I can't read Japanese, so I don't know the plot of any novels, other than the first two. I just have to agree with Master Chibi.
I, as a person who has never read the books, think that the plot of this season, other than 8 and 9, has been boring and pointless. I can see why they did the 1st and 2nd episodes (To get us back into the Shana universe), but all the rest of this has just been idiotic, straying away from what got me into the series before, which was the high plot and action storyline, which focused on the specific world.
If they wanted to cover the parts of the past books that were missed, good. Make another arc, but keep it in universe. Having Shana and Kazumi doing nothing but cry for something like 3 straight episodes, having a dreaded amusement park filler episode, and then having more fillers in the school festival is just a little much. They could have covered the parts they left out much more effectively in universe. Like, maybe invent some Tomogara who comes in and Shana needs to deal with, and at the same time she is having her love triangle problems. IE, that bubbly and fat creature from season 1. Boring filler is not always the answer, if it doesn't fit in with the continuity of the storyline.