Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-03-13, 13:49   Link #8041
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageXin View Post
Because the days of wild-wild-west of coding something to market is OVER. Gone was the day of a band of young engineers in their Mom basement or a rented house (See Blizzard: North) was able to crank out a best seller.
I still remember a time - when hardly anyone knew about Angry Birds.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-13, 13:50   Link #8042
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Archmage has a point -- why would you devote millions to a new unknown title when you have a proven money maker? I still remember Rock'n'Roll Racing .. Then again, Blizzard is embarking on Titan ..

Then again, Archmage, that was surprisingly snarky of you. That's unlike you (and more like me) what's up?
Old 2013-03-13, 14:06   Link #8043
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
Archmage has a point -- why would you devote millions to a new unknown title when you have a proven money maker? I still remember Rock'n'Roll Racing .. Then again, Blizzard is embarking on Titan ..

Then again, Archmage, that was surprisingly snarky of you. That's unlike you (and more like me) what's up?
I am passionate about some topic now and then. Then again, as a finance major I have a tendency to point out the cost when people complain why "companies can't do this"
ArchmageXin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-13, 14:10   Link #8044
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Which probably wasn't made with 10s of million budget designed for super high quality games :P

Oh, it was done with less than 70,000 pounds

http://www.smarta.com/blog/2010/10/f...om-angry-birds

How long do you think a blizzard or EA (Blockbuster title) will go for? The 70K pound probably last a whole 5 minutes in their dev cycle.

Also, would you play angry birds on a XBox or PC for more than 5 minute?
ArchmageXin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-13, 14:20   Link #8045
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

Cost of game development skyrocketed since back in the days. The cinematic in sc2 are pretty much theater quality.

20-something missions still feel rather short though. I am used to the old _craft games (BW/WC3) where a game comes with 3 or 4 campaigns: each of which is a unique story.

Man, the good old days.

There are quite a few new titles out there which gets really popular: witcher, demon souls, etc. But when a game is good, not only is it financially logical to make a sequel, people DEMAND a sequel to be made. So i guess it works both ways.

Imagine if Blizzard announced that there will be no sc3: it will sound stupid and also break the hearts of millions of people.

Legacy of the Void: Now that we are almost out of units to steal from BW (defiler->viper, firebat->hellbat), what new units will we be seeing?

Guess we have to wait 2 more years.
Flying Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-13, 14:26   Link #8046
KBTKaiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu View Post
Blizzard needs to start getting creative again and stop milking its successes from the 90s. It is time for them to come up with new games and show that they are not dead in the creativity department. I don't want to see SC3, Warcraft 4, diablo 4 or even more wow expansions for the next 10 years.
So what's project...Titan, was it?
KBTKaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-13, 14:36   Link #8047
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Dagger View Post
Cost of game development skyrocketed since back in the days. The cinematic in sc2 are pretty much theater quality.
So need to make a freakin' movie.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-13, 15:09   Link #8048
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBTKaiser View Post
So what's project...Titan, was it?
Titan is supposed to replace the cash cow that is WoW... they are not bringing anything new to the table. I hope to be wrong here, but I think that blizzard's upcoming tittle will be very lack luster or might not even come out at all. Blizzard hasn't developed any new games in almost 10 years and has ever since been afraid of taking risks.
Old 2013-03-13, 15:12   Link #8049
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Dagger View Post
Guess we have to wait 2 more years.
Ugh, don't remind me of the worst part about this game - the long wait 'til the next one ><

Quote:
Blizzard hasn't developed any new games in almost 10 years and has ever since been afraid of taking risks.
They haven't created new IPs, but they certainly have made new games in the past decade.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-13, 15:26   Link #8050
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

I am curious about Titan: given the time they have already spent on the project I suspect it will be ready to be announced this blizzcon (along side with the new WoW expansion and blizzard dota).

WoW is too big of a cash cow, and sadly, very few MMO imo can compete given the time and effort already spent developing that world.

New IPs imo is not as important. Rather, new game types which is good enough to breath some life into a genre is what I expect.

Given the size of blizzard games these days: I feel its going to be hard to develop a new IP in single player environment. You can't really tell a new exciting and engaging story given the length of WoL/D3. What captured me into the SC/WC lore is the campaign in the older generation games which can last a whole week of play time - not the plot of WoL/D3 where I can summarize in 2 or 3 lines.
Old 2013-03-13, 16:11   Link #8051
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Still one or two more WoW expansions left on the table.
Old 2013-03-13, 16:15   Link #8052
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

One or two? Someone is really optimistic

Doing some of the Mastery achievements, they can get a little annoying if you try to do them with your missing regular achievements.

//

Watched hero play a game: late game zerg is even more of a pain with vipers now chipping a portion of your expensive units away every single time you poke. Tempest feel really weak.

Last edited by Flying Dagger; 2013-03-13 at 21:53.
Old 2013-03-14, 01:37   Link #8053
Wigwams

Were you able to do the Mastery achievement for Supreme mission? win in 12 mins.
would like a save file!
Old 2013-03-14, 01:40   Link #8054
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Titan is supposed to replace the cash cow that is WoW... they are not bringing anything new to the table. I hope to be wrong here, but I think that blizzard's upcoming tittle will be very lack luster or might not even come out at all. Blizzard hasn't developed any new games in almost 10 years and has ever since been afraid of taking risks.
Considering how many of the core WoW staff was moved to Titan after The Burning Crusade Expansion, and the number of years now that they've been working on Titan, I'd be really surprised if they decided to scrap it and never let it see the light of day. That said, there's been lots of talk about how it's going to concentrate on casual play so as not to compete with WoW (let's not get into a tiff over whether or not WoW is "casual" these days, and accept that whatever term you might use to describe WoW, Titan will be more "casual" supposedly). Though I can't recall ever hearing it said officially, so I could easily see this as mere fan speculation.

I can't say I really believe any talk about how Titan is supposed to co-exist with WoW, as I strongly suspect Titan is meant to supplant WoW as their new mainstream MMO (let's face it, WoW's graphics have moved from dated, to incredibly aged at this point; whenever I return to the game, my eyes figuratively bleed); not that Blizzard will flip a switch and say no more WoW, but that I really do believe Titan will become their primary focus once it's released, which means Blizzard will likely keep working on Titan until they feel WoW has outlived its mainstream potential. The upside being Titan is probably going to have far and away more development time than any other MMO that's come before it (it's probably already reached that at this point, if serious work began after TBC), which would probably allow it to jump over one of the big reasons so many MMO's fall flat within a month or two: lack of content compared to the years of emotional attachment people have to their WoW characters.

With the amount of cash they make due to WoW, and no urgent need to replace WoW for probably another couple of years, they're in a very good position for putting out a new MMO in ways most other companies couldn't even dream of doing.

To get back on topic: Finished the campaign. Final verdict: Enjoyed WoL's cast far more, but it was enjoyable enough even so. Still, neither game really holds a candle to SC and its expansions, and at this point with the direction the plot is going, I'm not really expecting that to change with the next expansion. While I can understand the reasoning behind treating the campaign as largely a tutorial for multiplayer play, I find time limits in campaign maps to be off-putting, as I'd really like to enjoy taking my time to build up ridiculous forces and strategies, rather than playing a single player map with the type of laser focus I normally associate with multiplayer play.

I'd give the game an 8/10, but I'm a huge SC lore nerd, so that score is inflated over what I'd probably give the exact same game set in some generic sci-fi setting.
Also, cake.

Last edited by creb; 2013-03-14 at 01:57.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-14, 02:09   Link #8055
Xacual

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
To get back on topic: Finished the campaign. Final verdict: Enjoyed WoL's cast far more, but it was enjoyable enough even so. Still, neither game really holds a candle to SC and its expansions, and at this point with the direction the plot is going, I'm not really expecting that to change with the next expansion. While I can understand the reasoning behind treating the campaign as largely a tutorial for multiplayer play, I find time limits in campaign maps to be off-putting, as I'd really like to enjoy taking my time to build up ridiculous forces and strategies, rather than playing a single player map with the type of laser focus I normally associate with multiplayer play.

I'd give the game an 8/10, but I'm a huge SC lore nerd, so that score is inflated over what I'd probably give the exact same game set in some generic sci-fi setting.
I just finished the campaign as well, normal difficulty first run though. I'll probably get some more practice and get back to being able to play at a decent level with multiplayer before I start working through on hard and getting all the Mastery achievements. Then it will be on to the brutal playthrough. Can you use the Mastery Archive to do that? I mean that lets you keep your upgrades and replay old levels or something right? Sounds like it would make it a lot easier compared to WoL.

On the story, thought it was fine. Didn't win any awards but I enjoyed it from start to finish so that's fine for me. Only thing that annoyed me was
Spoiler:

Also what did you guys use for your Kerrigan skills?

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-14, 03:34   Link #8056
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
I just finished the campaign as well, normal difficulty first run though. I'll probably get some more practice and get back to being able to play at a decent level with multiplayer before I start working through on hard and getting all the Mastery achievements. Then it will be on to the brutal playthrough. Can you use the Mastery Archive to do that? I mean that lets you keep your upgrades and replay old levels or something right? Sounds like it would make it a lot easier compared to WoL.

On the story, thought it was fine. Didn't win any awards but I enjoyed it from start to finish so that's fine for me. Only thing that annoyed me was
Spoiler:

but, but!
Spoiler:

Enjoyed the story, it may have been the usual standard fare, but it was done well, and as a fan that was good enough for me, and yes, even the cheesy parts

I used primarily kinetic blast, mend, and then went for the passive abilities. The two drone/insta-overlord/auto vespene miners were nice.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-14, 03:48   Link #8057
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
but, but!
Spoiler:

Enjoyed the story, it may have been the usual standard fare, but it was done well, and as a fan that was good enough for me, and yes, even the cheesy parts

I used primarily kinetic blast, mend, and then went for the passive abilities. The two drone/insta-overlord/auto vespene miners were nice.
Pretty much this. Mend, two drones, auto vespene, and lots of passives (especially her health regeneration) make the game incredibly easy. Send her with an army of high HP units just spamming her mend far earlier than you can accomplish without two drones/auto vespene kind of broke the single player campaign, in all honesty.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-14, 03:55   Link #8058
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigwams View Post
Were you able to do the Mastery achievement for Supreme mission? win in 12 mins.
would like a save file!
Haven't even attempted that one yet: my brutal run was ~25 minutes so doing it in 12 seem rather difficult. Trying to get the mastery of the final mission where you have to kill the Odin before it gets sent out and completely failed at that. The odin parks inside inside a tightly packed complex which will take a while to destroy. It does pretty well against a decent sized ~180supply broodlord ultra roach army. Although I was trying the roachling mutant so it might be why my units are suffering so much damage (the roachlings seem to die too fast to those mercenary troops so the DPS debuff should be better).

I should also just take apocalypse to clear the room.

Mastery = the new brutal mode.

Quote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Kerrigan skills I use:
Leap attack/Psi blast (leap attack works better when you use roaches since Kerrigan is closer to the front, allowing mends to hit. Leap also has no CD and is more useful imo in taking out targets).

Chain reaction, Psionic Shift on missions where I kill lots of weak stuff.

Improved Overlords+twin drones, this saves a lot of minerals for when I go for a ground based army. Twin drones also make automated extractor somewhat useless.

Mend. Bread and butter of kerrigan.

+25% vespene for long games, else twin drones for early roach rushes.

Fury, Ability Efficiency if I wanted to spam Mends.

Leviathan.
Old 2013-03-14, 05:07   Link #8059
Xacual

Spoiler:

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-14, 05:09   Link #8060
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Spoiler:
Well it certainly had less effect than before. So that is certainly justified.

Tags
blizzard, starcraft, windows