AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

Old 2008-10-12, 03:03   Link #841
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
The manga did a better job at the hyperventilation sadly
Personal interest: Did the light novel illustrations cover this particular scene?

Last edited by yezhanquan; 2008-10-12 at 05:09.
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-12, 03:14   Link #842
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Personal interest: Did the light novel illustrations cover this particular scene.
I don't know about the light novel, can't seem to find it. But this is what happened in the manga.

Spoiler for Images, Confession scene from Manga:

I felt this was done 10x's better, to me it was more heartfelt.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-12, 03:33   Link #843
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
I call bias.

The dialogue is ripped almost word-to-word from all 3 medium, so it can't be the dialogue. The novel has more descriptive text, which is absent in the other 2 visual medium, so that can be taken out of the equation. The only thing left that is different is the framing of the shots between the manga and the anime. The manga has a shoujo-manga-like over-dramatization in the stills with a lot of up-close head shots of Taiga with lots of those focal lines (those diagonal lines which forces your eyes to the point where the drawer wants you to look at) and had Taiga in weird postures - none of these can be translated into moving pictures without looking, well, overdone and stupid.
houkoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-12, 05:30   Link #844
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
I thought it was more emotional and moving in the manga than in the anime. Anime was sort of plain, more realistic - maybe, but definitely plain.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-12, 05:30   Link #845
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Quote:
I don't know about the light novel, can't seem to find it. But this is what happened in the manga.

Heartfelt? How? To me it just over-the-top reaction.
Old 2008-10-12, 05:32   Link #846
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
And I would call it more emotional...Again, for me anime felt plain compared to that.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-12, 05:34   Link #847
ayu
DUN.DDUN.DDDUN.

the anime lacked the "I always want to be with him..." section, the duo havent had enough interaction time yet, however, such lines can be added later in the series, probably JC Staff's idea, I am fine with that.
ayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-12, 05:41   Link #848
Mukki

Send a message via AIM to Mukki
Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic View Post
I call bias.

The dialogue is ripped almost word-to-word from all 3 medium, so it can't be the dialogue. The novel has more descriptive text, which is absent in the other 2 visual medium, so that can be taken out of the equation. The only thing left that is different is the framing of the shots between the manga and the anime. The manga has a shoujo-manga-like over-dramatization in the stills with a lot of up-close head shots of Taiga with lots of those focal lines (those diagonal lines which forces your eyes to the point where the drawer wants you to look at) and had Taiga in weird postures - none of these can be translated into moving pictures without looking, well, overdone and stupid.

I don't recall Taiga saying that she "always wants to be with [Ryuuji]" in the anime. All she really says in episode 2 is that being with Ryuuji gave her the courage to confess, and some other stuff about him cooking for her and such.

Last edited by Mukki; 2008-10-12 at 05:42. Reason: Beaten to the punch. That's what I get for leaving the reply window open for 10 minutes.
Mukki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-12, 06:11   Link #849
ayu
DUN.DDUN.DDDUN.

there has been little interaction between the two in the first two episodes for Taiga to actually say that, hopefully Taiga will say that in the future
ayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-12, 07:10   Link #850
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic View Post
I call bias.

Call it what you will. But, it had strong emphasis on the dialogue, it's what convinced glasses boy that she had feelings for Ryuuji. It gave readers insight on how she felt about him and such.

In the anime, it was basically... uh... you got, "I love Ryuuji" from that? it was terribly plain and short.

And the poses and such can easily be translated into moving pictures. Don't kid yourself.

Not only was the dialogue better, but Ryuuji's inner monologue beforehand was great.

I don't mind so much that they cut out a lot of the fat, but at least do a better job with the confession part.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-12, 07:29   Link #851
typhonsentra

Another variation, this time from both the anime and the manga.

Spoiler:
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-12, 09:29   Link #852
msuwildog80

On the flip side:

After reading the manga and the novel with the confession scene. It seems to me that, Kitamura in the novel and manga can be accused of misunderstanding. But in the anime, I felt that he wanted to flat out reject Taiga and didnt feel like he needed an excuse to do it.

Perhaps I am wrong, but after looking at it, it seems to me that the anime wants to nip the TaigaxKitamura possibility right off.

(( again this can be how the novel is as well, but since its not translated very far I always assumed that Kitamura will be an obstacle to Ryugi for Taiga ))
msuwildog80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-12, 10:20   Link #853
Falkor

To be sincere, I’m actually very disappointed with this second episode, even though I sort of enjoyed the compressed material of the first half. The way they handled the latter half left too much to be desired—with Minori[n]’s request, the conversation at the restaurant, the lamp post and he confession losing some important character development/build.
Falkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-12, 11:42   Link #854
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Call it what you will. But, it had strong emphasis on the dialogue, it's what convinced glasses boy that she had feelings for Ryuuji. It gave readers insight on how she felt about him and such.

In the anime, it was basically... uh... you got, "I love Ryuuji" from that? it was terribly plain and short.

And the poses and such can easily be translated into moving pictures. Don't kid yourself.

Not only was the dialogue better, but Ryuuji's inner monologue beforehand was great.

I don't mind so much that they cut out a lot of the fat, but at least do a better job with the confession part.
Not to be mean but spend more time in the romance genre please. If you think that the confession scene was too little to get, "I love Ryuuji," from then you really haven't been in this genre for too long.

If any person ever said something like that to me about someone else, it would be more than obvious that there is or is going to be a great bond between them in the future. If Taiga herself can talk about Ryuuji like that, is it hard to believe that she could be in love with him? This is the Palmtop Tiger we're talking about.

Just as well, I'm amazed any of you actually felt justified in complaining about the confession scene at all. There's only one real difference between the manga confession and the anime confession and suddenly the anime is a hellspawn PoS.

Eh, I could go on, but it wont change a thing. At least I tried to inform people that this isn't the manga. Oh well. 1... 2... 3... Cool walk... Yeah... Cool walk... Walking out on wings baby...

Last edited by Traece; 2008-10-12 at 11:42. Reason: Talkinga! =O
Traece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-12, 11:43   Link #855
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I know it's not her fault, but Kugimiya Rie is a walking archetype at this point - type-casting on a stick. And some of the dialogue they've written for her doesn't do anything to distract from that fact. I can't help but think this adaptation would have been better served by a different actress, because this isn't Shana or (God help us) Louise, and it's hard to get past the baggage she brings to the role. I want to stick by this show and I'll give it a few more weeks, but it's started out in a bit of a hole due to the casting.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-12, 11:45   Link #856
musouka

Quote:

Overwrought, melodramatic, and cliche. I don't think it's heartfelt in the slightest.

I much prefer the anime's version, regardless of close or far it was from the manga/novels, simply because it feels more down to earth and original to me. To be honest, I tried to read part of the manga, and it almost drained my interest in the series itself. I feel like the anime does an excellent job of distilling these characters down to their most interesting, unique forms instead of getting lost behind layers and layers of "stupid dog!" and "bicker bicker bicker".
musouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-12, 11:45   Link #857
ZingFreelancer
A horrible person

Have any one read the volume 9 yet? Wonder what the picture on side 209 is all about?
ZingFreelancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-12, 11:59   Link #858
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by musouka View Post
Overwrought, melodramatic, and cliche. I don't think it's heartfelt in the slightest.

I much prefer the anime's version, regardless of close or far it was from the manga/novels, simply because it feels more down to earth and original to me. To be honest, I tried to read part of the manga, and it almost drained my interest in the series itself. I feel like the anime does an excellent job of distilling these characters down to their most interesting, unique forms instead of getting lost behind layers and layers of "stupid dog!" and "bicker bicker bicker".
Actually I have to highly agree with that.

The manga confession is really over-the-top, no matter how far in the manga it may be. I read that and immediately thought, "that's really over-doing it. I couldn't imagine a person ever saying that in front of anybody else, much less the man she's supposedly in love with." It just doesn't make as much sense as: Everything in the Manga confession, minus about two or three lines.

Old 2008-10-12, 12:06   Link #859
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
I don't really get the argument here, the anime and manga version generally convey the exact same thing across, besides body movements and such.
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-12, 12:06   Link #860
typhonsentra

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZingFreelancer View Post
Have any one read the volume 9 yet? Wonder what the picture on side 209 is all about?
Spoiler:
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, romance, shounen