AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

Old 2008-10-12, 18:45   Link #881
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

@ Darken-emo:

The confession in the anime being plain is exactly what makes it so good. It's what makes Taiga human, it's why I said the anime gave that scene warmth, because it felt more like a personal confession (as in from TAIGA herself) and less like that cheerleading match we get in the manga.

As for the same old crap, well I'm refering to Rie's typecasted roles we're all accustomed with right now, of which ToraDora is doing a great job of steering itself clear from.

I don' t see how 13 chapters doesn't equate to 'smoothly' for you in terms of a confession in the manga, but two episodes in the anime is. Given the amount of content an anime can portray in 22 minutes, I'd equate that to being close to the same amount of time, and even then the anime does a far, far, far, far better job at it then the manga did.

For god's sake, they got rid of the stupid dog master relationship in the second episode, that's a god damn blessing and fucking miracle, because we've had to deal with that shit for THREE SEASONS with ZnT, and a similar relationship in SnS and HnG. How can you complain about that? HOW? You want another 4 episodes of that garbage? Not me man, no thanks. I'll take two episodes of it and call it a day.

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Master Chibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-12, 18:46   Link #882
ac3y

I don't know about y'all, but the music during that particular scene is what "made" it for me.

And I'm kind of glad I have no previous experience with Kugimiya Rie (except by her reputation), so I might not be as jaded as some when approaching this series.

Last edited by ac3y; 2008-10-12 at 18:57. Reason: new thoughts
ac3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-12, 18:50   Link #883
Zippicus

It's pretty interesting that people can watch the same thing and come to opposite conclusions

All I can say is that I'm not having any problems following the story so far and everything works well for me. They've managed to avoid a few pitfalls of this genre and for that I'm thankful. And honestly if that means they have to do things differently than the novel/manga I don't really care.
Zippicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-12, 21:56   Link #884
msuwildog80

Btw quick question:

has there been any concrete information on rather or not this series is 12-13 episodes? Hoping it is more.. I just saw that Light Novel 9 just came out.

Side question.. did the author ever mention how long he or she wanted to continue on with the story?
msuwildog80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-12, 22:13   Link #885
Snoopyagent007

after watching the first episode, i wasn't planning on continuing this show, but the second episode is admittedly making me reconsider. hopefully the story will stay fresh and won't spiral into something predictable and mundane.

comparison: http://www.ji-hi.net/toradora/index.html

please refrain from discussing anything about fansub comparisons. i am only providing a resource to aid you in deciding what group you would rather download from.
Snoopyagent007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-12, 22:22   Link #886
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippicus View Post
It's pretty interesting that people can watch the same thing and come to opposite conclusions
Igt is very easy for peoples to watch the same show and come to the opposite conclusion; they just need to have diffenrnt expectations.
ganbaru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-13, 00:23   Link #887
ThoHell

Hmm..this seems to be one of my favorite series released this season. Pretty damn amusing! Just seems a little fresh and new, something out of the normal trend..... I think I've grown quite fond of the voice actress Kugimiya Rie, she's just really damn good! The Shana "shut up" line is in this series, but instead of 3 shut ups it's like 2.
ThoHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-13, 00:41   Link #888
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Master Chubby

As I said I do not see anything personal and warm here. I see a rather plain and short scene, that cannot be compared to the one in manga as it is not emotional enough.

But you are talking about manga and Anime comparison, so stop talking about voice actress here and her roles. Talked characters, and for your knowledge all three are different in their own terms. What makes them so similar is the same studio, same voice actress, similar looks but this is mostly between animes. In manga it is all different and since you said same old crap again you have meant the manga (as if anime was made following manga it would become "same old crap").

If you cannot see how 13 manga chapters are smoothly and anime two episodes are not then I would suggest you getting a pair of glasses.

Manga did it more smoothly, while anime switches the roles too fast, and even if we do not take your anti-tsundere bias (which is probably understandable considering how much we have seen such characters lately) into consideration they still had to do it more smoothly with the switches in episodes 1 and 2. Because it is not "a god damn blessing and fucking miracle" but is called - "rushed character development".
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-13, 01:06   Link #889
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

I don't know why people are saying that Taiga is the standard violent Tsundere when she never hitted Ryuuji in the manga ( other than attacking him with the bokuto in the beginning ) Ryuuji scolds her more than her saying something mean to him. She just calls him a dog.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-13, 01:08   Link #890
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
I don't know why people are saying that Taiga is the standard violent Tsundere when she never hitted Ryuuji in the manga ( other than attacking him with the bokuto in the beginning ) Ryuuji scolds her more than her saying something mean to him. She just calls him a dog.
Because.... some people see one or two commonalities and then they just stop thinking about it once they apply the tag.

However, I'm going to point out to many posters here that this thread is primarily for the discussion of the anime... not the manga, not the novels.
Discussion of the nature of the adaptation is permitted to a degree .... but major spoilage of the manga and the novels is inevitably going to cause a rash of deletions and the wrath of some mod.

People should tag their novel/manga spoilers under the spoiler tag.
Old 2008-10-13, 01:10   Link #891
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Because.... some people see one or two commonalities and then they just stop thinking about it once they apply the tag.
Because people will be people.

DJ_RockmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-13, 01:20   Link #892
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

I think many people have been jaded by Rie's last role as Louise from ZnT. who was the most violent and abusive loli. And it becomes automatically assumed that her next loli role would be the same as Louise.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-13, 01:24   Link #893
Darknemo2000

The saddest part that it is JC Staff that made Louise like that, in novels she is a different character. Like the majority of ZnT cast.

In this regards JC Staff are doing well with Toradora cast so far - they are not incredibly simplified like ZnT characters nor are too annoying, yet they should not rush so much and let the meaning sink in... Because right now character development comes too fast...
Old 2008-10-13, 01:59   Link #894
ac3y

I just hope they don't try to cram all 9 volumes into a 13 episode series.
That would be just... odd.
ac3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-13, 02:02   Link #895
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

And give up the chance to do Toradora II, III, and maybe even IV to rake even more money in? Nah... I'm more inclined to think this will follow Shana and ZnT's footsteps, at least in that regard.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-13, 02:23   Link #896
Darknemo2000

DragoonKain3, don't say such cruel words... Following ZnT in any way is already bad, very bad.

Personally I would like they did 24 episode season rather then 12 since JC Staff is notorious for not being able to set their priorities right and tend to give unimportant/filler plot much more focus than the main plot and character development.
Old 2008-10-13, 04:44   Link #897
typhonsentra

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
The manga only covers the first book and the beginning of the second. She attacks him, she has no problem with that.
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-13, 04:53   Link #898
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
Call it what you will. But, it had strong emphasis on the dialogue, it's what convinced glasses boy that she had feelings for Ryuuji. It gave readers insight on how she felt about him and such.

In the anime, it was basically... uh... you got, "I love Ryuuji" from that? it was terribly plain and short.

And the poses and such can easily be translated into moving pictures. Don't kid yourself.

Not only was the dialogue better, but Ryuuji's inner monologue beforehand was great.

I don't mind so much that they cut out a lot of the fat, but at least do a better job with the confession part.
Kitamura was going to reject Taiga regardless anyway and as someone observed they made it very specific that Kitamura is outright rejecting her in the anime (major hint in the opening animation:
Spoiler:
, so if a viewer got that impression that means the anime had SUCCEED in its alteration, not failed), so it makes no difference whether he sees Taiga like Ryuji or not. The reason he mentioned that is because he sees that at least the two are good for each other, if not romantically but just how Ryuji makes Taiga a better person ("you make better faces now").

No I don't get "I love Ryuji", but at that point in time Taiga DOESN'T love Ryuji anyway, she likes him as a friend - as she explained very clearly in the dialogue. "I like him, but not in that kind of way" and "he gave me courage to do this". Perfectly logical given the context of the scene within the anime frame work. Again, you can only complain because it wasn't a one-to-one adaptation of the manga.

Of course you can translate the focal lines and posture into moving pictures, but as I've said - it makes it look stupid and over-dramatic (like in shounen fighting anime where the protagonists suddenly pulls some new technique which surprises his opponent is what these sort of techniques are used most often), which is clearly something they weren't going for in a romance show.

Doing too much monologue is a lazy way of not actually doing any work on the scene framing and scripting in visual medium, the short precieous one-liners delievered by the seiyuu and facial changes you see on the character's faces delivered is way more important and difficult visually.

The confession part is done well within the anime, you're only complaining because it wasn't a one-to-one adaptation of the manga.
houkoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-13, 05:35   Link #899
ilifin
fishy

Send a message via AIM to ilifin Send a message via MSN to ilifin
@ the pacing of Toradora!

If anyone looks at how the manga and anime are being advertised and promoted in visual and whatnot in Japan, they are side-by-side placing Shana and Toradora. I hope this might spell out the show becoming multiple seasons depending on sales numbers, which was the case with Shana.
ilifin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-13, 06:15   Link #900
Darknemo2000

The good thing agaout Shana is that the season is 24 episodes thus this way JC Staff tends to screw up the pace much less and even if they focus on fillers too much, there is still enough space for the main story and characters progress as well...

I would really like for Toradora to follow SnS in this aspect rather than terribly rushed 12 episode nonsense that we have witnessed in the form of ZnT.

Tags
comedy, romance, shounen